• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played it for the first time the other week, it's so so good. I loved chloe, but a big part of that is I'm a big fan of Ashly Burch.

game is hella amazeballs epic

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
to everyone in this thread

urRP8Ju.gif

also, yeah, definitely play Before the Storm (with the additional Farewell episode if you enjoy Deck Nine's manipulations)

Life Is Strange 2 is also pretty great, but it's quite different from the other two.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I couldn't stand Chloe, and the decision at the end of Life is Strange was one of the easiest decisions I've ever had to make in a game.

As much of a train wreck as Chloe is, though, one of my biggest gripes about Life is Strange is how DONTNOD wrote Max in such a way that she went along with things that she really wouldn't have in my opinion. Like going from sneaking into the school at night and being very careful to suddenly going along with Chloe's boneheaded idea to go to the pool.

Also, while the junkyard segment was already absolutely terrible, realizing that Chloe's stupidity and DONTNOD's bad writing were responsible for Max not being able to use her time manipulation abilities later on the roof of the school (or the dorms?) just made me despise Chloe even more.

Felt the same way as you about Chloe initially.

You need to play Before the Storm.
That may be an option for people who haven't played Life is Strange, but I couldn't bring myself to play as Chloe for very long in Before the Storm. I find nothing about her character appealing, and my outlook on her from Life is Strange made it very difficult for me to want her to see any sort of success - even in the name of fun - in Before the Storm. I didn't even get through the first area. I'm sure that DONTNOD wanted to just pass her off as a mischievous, rebellious teenager in Before the Storm so she'd instantly seem likable to people who could relate to her, but I just remembered her as the same garbage person she was in Life is Strange, so the attempt was lost on me.

If DONTNOD wanted more people to like or at least sympathize with Chloe, then they should've written her character better in Life is Strange. They even went so far as to show what would've happened to Chloe if her father hadn't died, as if to force you to think of her as some sort of tragic figure who was never meant to know happiness, blah blah blah. You don't need to resort to stuff like that in order to make your audience change their minds about a character, and you certainly shouldn't have to release a prequel game to have another go at making people like said character.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even get through the first area. I'm sure that DONTNOD wanted to just pass her off as a mischievous, rebellious teenager in Before the Storm so she'd instantly seem likable to people who could relate to her, but I just remembered her as the same garbage person she was in Life is Strange, so the attempt was lost on me.
You barely saw any of the reason why people that disliked Chloe in LiS came to appreciate her in BtS. Makes for a fairly empty criticism of BtS. And it was Deck Nine's game, not DONTNOD's.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I like Max and Chloe a lot as characters. Chloe can be a jerk sometimes, but considering all she's been through... yeah, at her age, I'm sure I'd lash out and be bitter as well. I'm not defending her behavior, especially not stuff like her trying to prevent Max from taking a call from Kate... but I do understand. Before the Storm only helps that, as well.
No, a very small amount of people survive if you pick Chloe. It's cool if you made that choice but you do so with the full knowledge that you sent a lot of uninvolved people to their death.
This a thousand times.

I know that the Bae crowd are very fervent defenders of their decision, which is fair, but there is no need to be disingenuous or downplaying about how devastating the storm was. The game was very simple and clear about that: you either save Chloe, or you save Arcadia Bay. None of this "the storm wasn't thaaaaat bad" nonsense.
This is hogwash guilt tripping, the ending of LiS1 is not the trolley problem. Regardless of that, the town (presumably) gets destroyed in most if not all the other timelines. The final "choice" is about which timeline you want (player) Max to stay in, it doesn't fix the other timelines that were created.
It's not hogwash guilt tripping. It's giving it to you straight that in choosing to save Chloe, you not only went against her wishes (she explicitly asks you to choose the town over her), but you also allowed an entire town to die, including her mom. Those are just the facts of the situation. One could argue that the endings are poorly written, but they are what they are.

Oct 29, 2017
I liked Max fine but Chloe is one of my favorite video game characters ever.

Before the Storm is well worth playing.

Still disappointed that LIS2 is a totally different story/setting/cast.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Finding out people dislike Chloe. *shakes head* Yeah, she's a bit of an asshole but you have to look at her in context of everything she's been through and the fact that she is still growing up. As someone with deep seated abandonment issues, I relate to her a lot. An observation is that is seems that mostly men in this thread don't like her. >_> Also Before the Storm fleshes her out more, even if it isn't canon to DONTNOD.

Also how can people not find Chloe charismatic, if only thanks to Ashly Burch's performance?

what? They don't consider it canon??

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I didn't like the game when I got it for free from PS+, but it has really grown on me over time.
Bought LiS2 from Steam sale, will try to finish it before the new year.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Looks like most people are saying they liked it, so I'm going to be the one guy saying that despite some good qualities I think it has a lot of problems and isn't really good overall.

Bobcats

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guy in my late 20s.

I cried at one point and had to put the game down for a few days before I could go back and finish it.

Amazing game. Characters, story, music... It was all incredible. I'll have to replay it soon.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Finding out people dislike Chloe. *shakes head* Yeah, she's a bit of an asshole but you have to look at her in context of everything she's been through and the fact that she is still growing up. As someone with deep seated abandonment issues, I relate to her a lot. An observation is that is seems that mostly men in this thread don't like her. >_> Also Before the Storm fleshes her out more, even if it isn't canon to DONTNOD.

Also how can people not find Chloe charismatic, if only thanks to Ashly Burch's performance?
When did they say BtS wasn't canon?

OP
OP
dskzero

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Well, first of all, thank to all of you. I kinda feel all fizzy inside because it touched so many people like it touched me, which is always cool to know. I mean, I know the game is popular, but it totally evaded me until this week.

I'm not sure about BtS for the moment, though it leaves Game Pass this week so I'll have to buy it somehow to play it, which... isn't a bad idea per se (man if I knew I would have liked LiS so much I would have bought it, maybe CE and all that. It's so worth it) but I'm a bit of a cross roads because of how irritating Chloe was to me.

Of course, I can clear off my head of the first one which was suprisingly heavy and try it later.

Looks like most people are saying they liked it, so I'm going to be the one guy saying that despite some good qualities I think it has a lot of problems and isn't really good overall.

One thing I realized nobody mentioned was the stealth section, which I thought were totally out of place in the game. I think the game is great but there are a couple of places that the plot drags on and while the characters are very well written a few of them are just caricatures of authorities... which might be the case. Didn't we all see our teachers as that?

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Chloe lost her dad, was abandoned by Max shortly after and her girlfriend has been missing for months.

No shit Chloe has behavioral issues. But I like to think it's a tiny bit more complex than her being a jerk. Hell it's a miracle that girl is still kicking, she's strong as hell and that's why she's an amazing character.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Chloe lost her dad, was abandoned by Max shortly after and her girlfriend has been missing for months.

No shit Chloe has behavioral issues. But I like to think it's a tiny bit more complex than her being a jerk. Hell it's a miracle that girl is still kicking, she's strong as hell and that's why she's an amazing character.
She strong as hell and an amazing character. She is perhaps a bit wild and disobedient, but who wouldn't be in her situation. I would be depressed as hell in her situation, but she even puts up a smile half of the time. Her character is one of the reasons why I love LiS so much.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
As others have said, you need to play Before the Storm, OP. It gives you much better insight into Chloe and why she's the way she is in LiS.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
Loved the game, loved Chloe.

Aight I'm outta here. I still have to more episodes of season 2 and I'm suprised I haven't been spoiled yet.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I adored Chloe and put her ass before the wellbeing of the town, even without the BTS context. The town had Warren. That meant the town must die and true love must win with Max and Chloe!

But yes, Before the Storm adds many more layers to Chloe's character and makes her significantly more likeable. A must play.

This thread just reminded me to see if all episodes of LiS2 have been released yet. I wanted to wait for a full release before playing. Looks like I know what I'm playing over Christmas.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chloe fans unite!

Rachel and Chloe made me a more powerful lesbian. I wish Decknine would be put in charge of LiS. Or make their own series in a similar vein.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Chloe. She's just a kid, and considering her history, acting out is obviously her way of trying to cope.

This might seem like a strange recommendation but if you're interested in games that share similar themes and are built around well written characters, I wholeheartedly recommend Night in the Woods.

Given the reasons you share in the OP, I think you might really enjoy it. It has a very different aesthetic and gameplay that I know might put off some people (especially if you prefer the third person telltale adventure game style) , but (while I'm not trying to come in a praise thread for a game to shit on it) Night in the Woods is infinitely superior, especially in the writing department.

I really second this. They're similar in a lot of ways, and I also agree NITW is the superior game by far, as much as I liked LIS.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
A really interesting and timely thread, some great comments.

Personally I found Chloe pretty sad/tragic in the first game so I definitely sympathised with her. I wasn't a huge fan of max but i liked her.

dskzero like others I highly urge you to play BTS. Unfortunately episode 1 doesn't start well but in 2 and 3 you'll have tons more context for LiS.

I hadn't realised it was different Devs. It fits so well around the LiS story (like a glove around a hand).

OP
OP
dskzero

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
A really interesting and timely thread, some great comments.

Personally I found Chloe pretty sad/tragic in the first game so I definitely sympathised with her. I wasn't a huge fan of max but i liked her.

dskzero like others I highly urge you to play BTS. Unfortunately episode 1 doesn't start well but in 2 and 3 you'll have tons more context for LiS.

I hadn't realised it was different Devs. It fits so well around the LiS story (like a glove around a hand).
I definitely will, at some point!

I need to play (well, finish) Night in the Woods: I was loving it, but life got in the way a couple years ago. I might get it for one of the consoles for couch comfort.

OP
OP
dskzero

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Yeah I need to.play that game at some point too :) did you hear what happened to the devs with regard to their involvement with a troubled partner? They ended up making a lengthy statement about it at all. It sounded incredibly difficult for them :(
You mean the guy who comitted suicide? I'm not sure how I feel because ever since the past few years I try to stay away from these controversies, but all I managed to read was really sad and infuriating.

But I think we'd do better to leave that out of this thread so the discussion carries on as it has been, which has been great to read.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the guy who comitted suicide? I'm not sure how I feel because ever since the past few years I try to stay away from these controversies, but all I managed to read was really sad and infuriating.

But I think we'd do better to leave that out of this thread so the discussion carries on as it has been, which has been great to read.
Yes completely fair point, I was going pretty off topic. I've edited it out of my post.

Jan 11, 2018
I found her pretty irritating in LiS, but enjoyed her quite a bit in BtS. And actually, Max is the one who kinda seems like a biach when you play BtS.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Loved LiS 1 and BtS but I can't get through the first chapter of 2. It's soooo boring and they took out everything that made the first games fun.
Please stick with it. I know it starts slow, but it really really pays off. They touch on a number of incredible themes, and they don't shy away from them, and the story of the two brothers is just so touching.

OP
OP
dskzero

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Bringing back this thread (can I do that?) because I finally played Before the Storm.

No, i do not like Chloe any more now, but I understand why Rachel screwed her up so badly. That girl was fire. Almost literally. So full of life and energy, she ends up being intimidating to Chloe. I still think Chloe is a damn brat, but I guess I know why she was so hung up on Rachel. I know Dontnod didn't make this, but Deck9 managed to nail the entire real feeling of the game, how the game really feels like, well, life, which is really strange at times. Chloe is probably just no the kind of person I'd like I guess.

That said, the game is probably better than LiS. The lack of the stealth mission and hunting for bottles helps the pace for sure. I do think the first episode blows the rest out of the water, particularly from the junkyard scene until the ending, but that just about covers the price of the game, which, by the way, is really cheap right now on Xbox, if you're interested.

I still think I'll buy both games to keep with me physically. I loved them. That said... I'm gonna take a break from Life is Strange. These games are better experienced with some time in between them. Hopefully the new Dontnod game will be just as awesome.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i just couldn't get into the game, gameplay-wise. i might enjoy it if it were a more traditional point and click adventure game, but just getting out of the school for the first time was such a goddamn chore i never felt like booting up the game again.