• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is your preferred gym of choice?

• LA Fitness

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Planet Fitness

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • OrangeTheory

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Gold's Gym

Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Anytime Fitness

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
SO. I wanted to start heading back to the gym, but for the most part, I only used the gym that came with my tuition for school. I've used Gold's Gym in the past for two weeks or so, but quickly switched back to the school gym. Right now, I'm currently not taking classes, but want to start working out again. Which gym chain/franchise is my best option. I don't make too much money, but I am willing to do around $200 for around 6 months or something in that ballpark.

Agentnibs

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've only ever been to Golds and Planet Fitness, and of the two Golds is the way to go. I think I pay around 40 bucks a month for it

You'll probably just want to try them all before you sign up

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Whichever is cheapest and closest to your home or work.

upkeep and service matters, but it can vary wildly even among chain gyms.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
There's an LA Fitness right next to my work so that's where I go. I tried Planet Fitness and Anytime years back and wasn't a fan of their lack of equipment variety.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gold's my dude. They're generally no frills/ no bullshit gyms and force you take take working out seriously. If you stay with one local gym, you can generally get a $20 a month deal.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Check around if you have a local gym, normally they're cheaper from my experience. Unless you travel a lot and need a franchise that sometimes lets you hit up any gym in your area of the same franchise (I think planet and 24 have more expensive passes to do that, idk about golds).

My local gym was a defunct golds gym with all the same amenities at 1/2 the price.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Go for an expensive one, the money they take out your bank account every month is the greatest motivated to go the gym there.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Planet is $10 a month. Why go for something more expensive lol. It's a gym.

As someone who had a PF member ship for a while, there's probably a case to be made against Planet Fitness. It's super cheap but that also means it's often packed during peak hours, and from my experience often filled with people who are slow, in groups, and/or hoard machines. This is probably the case with most of these cheaper chains (Crunch, 24 Hour) but if you are working out super early or super late you should be okay.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I use Anytime after 24 hour Fitness closed all their locations in AZ.

No complaints, the cleaning crew is constantly in there and I see the maintenance guy taking care of the machines and whatnot all the time, preemptively. It's not expensive and it's 24/7 if you want that.

Hated LA fitness and Planet is a joke.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I go to Orangetheory, generally 3-4 times a week. It's great if you want balanced fitness, endurance, and the like (weight loss too, though I was already at a standard weight when I started). You'll get a good mix of cardio, core, and weights, as well as structured, guided workouts which is great if you're the sort who doesn't know what you should be doing at the gym (you'll also never have to fight for a station). It's also quite tough.

On the other hand, it's way more expensive than what you'd get at general gyms, and you're not gonna get mega-swole without lifting on your own outside the gym (I've got more of a swimmer or tennis player physique as opposed to a weightlifter). So keep that in mind when thinking about your general fitness goals.

(I'd also echo the usual quote of the best gym is the one you'll go to regularly and stick with. So consider that too, if it's an Orangetheory, a Gold's, or even a Ring Fit)

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sure can. It's my humble opinion that the more "machines", shit like pools, basketball courts, etc take away from what a gym should be: TONS of free weights and treadmills, some classes and little else. All the extra shit attracts people who aren't serious about their fitness goals. Which clogs up the gym and makes it so I have to WAIT to use the fucking power cage!

Oct 27, 2017
I was at an LA Fitness for about 2 years during my community college time. I cancelled the membership when I transferred to a 4-year university.

Cons :

LA is pretty scammy when it comes to cancelling memberships. I've heard horror stories of people having to send physical letters to corporate just to cancel, because going up to the front desk employee isn't enough... That's probably old news, but from my experience, they don't actually cancel your membership until the month is over, so you're still paying for a gym membership you aren't using for a month.

More cons :

Too many teenagers on the weekends, like big groups of kids taking up space, trying to out-lift each other. Bench press and squat rack is always being used. People leave weights unracked, on the floor. Naked old men stare at you in the locker room. Sounds like a joke, but if you're into powerlifting, this gym is not for you, it's for soccer moms and casual fitness training.

Pros :

Nice sauna, swimming pool, jacuzzi,, basketball court, etc, etc. I only used the sauna after heavy lifting, but it's nice to have all that extra stuff at your disposal when you're in the mood. Plenty of cardio and accessory machines. It's not that expensive, I was paying like 25 bucks a month. If you decide to join LA, which honestly isn't a terrible idea, just make sure you talk your way out of the "initiation fee" and don't sign anything that looks like a long-term contract.

Last edited:

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
Sure can. It's my humble opinion that the more "machines", shit like pools, basketball courts, etc take away from what a gym should be: TONS of free weights and treadmills, some classes and little else. All the extra shit attracts people who aren't serious about their fitness goals. Which clogs up the gym and makes it so I have to WAIT to use the fucking power cage!
True dat. Maybe I should try out Gold's. There is one nearby. I go to LA Fitness mainly because there are a lot of girls there and I feel more comfortable since the girls only gyms suck hard.

The extra amenities like the basketball courts, pool, etc and the crowd that comes with them are annoying though.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Make sure it's not a lock in contract.

I ask that question as a starting point with any gym.

Oct 27, 2017
Closest and cheapest near me that has enough equipment and weights. I ended up going to Crunch for $20 a month plus it has a outdoor pool. I'm there 5 days out of the week so at $20 a month it's a steal.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
YMCA is pretty good. It's pretty cheap but nice. Plus, you get access to all locations with one membership.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Crunch Gyms are the best for price/equipment. Are any near you??

Vouch for this.

I pay 9.95 aud a week, quit at any time.

The one I go go has 3 floors, 1 floor of classes, 1 floor for free weights/machines/treadmills and another floor for HIIT.

Honestly works out great. A lot of new joiners are pushed towards the classes and HIIT cause theres a bit more direction so the floor with free weights doesn't get too busy.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curling in the squat rack is the best place for gains.

Gives a +2 passive buff to your Swole stat during any exercise performed there. It's basic science.

Vouch for this.

I pay 9.95 aud a week, quit at any time.

The one I go go has 3 floors, 1 floor of classes, 1 floor for free weights/machines/treadmills and another floor for HIIT.

Honestly works out great. A lot of new joiners are pushed towards the classes and HIIT cause theres a bit more direction so the floor with free weights doesn't get too busy.

Damn, sounds great but none in Queensland

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Orange Theory is a studio offering high intensity interval training on a treadmill and on the floor for a 1 hour session.

It's fine if that's the type of training that motivates you, but it is best to try it first.

Otherwise, Planer Fitness and Anytime are not going to provide classes, if that's what you were looking for. And, with any of them, you can try them out at least once to see if they provide the experience, service, and equipment that you need.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Anytime fitness is great until they have a billion member stuffed in a 500 sq ft area all standing around waiting in the one equipment.

24 hours is the same, just bigger and more fancy shit if you're willing to pay.

Honestly, if you can, invest in equipment. A kettlebell and the Simple and Sinister program will make you strong. Barbell and free weights will make you stronger.

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
i miss my college gym. great basketball courts and great weights

i was with city sport/la fitness for awhile, but their hours were not exactly great for me. i'm with 24 at the moment, but they're pretty pricey. if it wasn't for the basketball courts, i'd probably cancel. :<

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
PF is good so long as you can stomach the people who don't really take it seriously. During peak hours, there's often people chit-chatting on equipment, taking up space (at least, at the one I go to).

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Personally if you have a great local gym go for that. If not go to Gold's they usually are clean and the equipment up to date.

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can use the squat rack when I'm done with these curls I'm doing in it for some reason, just be patient

LOL

True dat. Maybe I should try out Gold's. There is one nearby. I go to LA Fitness mainly because there are a lot of girls there and I feel more comfortable since the girls only gyms suck hard.

The extra amenities like the basketball courts, pool, etc and the crowd that comes with them are annoying though.

I love them, though, I wish the hours were a bit better. Mon - Thurs generally it's 5am - 11pm, Fri it's 5am - 10pm , Sat 7am - 8pm and, Sun 8am - 8pm. Wish it was 24 hrs for those crazy work days, which I've been having having as of late, forcing me to gym at 5 am. They exist, but they're generally franchise gyms that are outside of the network of my plan (I can go to any corporate gym in the U.S.)

zzz

Oct 27, 2017
24 memberships are reasonably priced through Costco — right now, it's $430 for two years of All-Club Sport. The fact that they're open all hours of the day are a big perk for me.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
LOL

I love them, though, I wish the hours were a bit better. Mon - Thurs generally it's 5am - 11pm, Fri it's 5am - 10pm , Sat 7am - 8pm and, Sun 8am - 8pm. Wish it was 24 hrs for those crazy work days, which I've been having having as of late, forcing me to gym at 5 am. They exist, but they're generally franchise gyms that are outside of the network of my plan (I can go to any corporate gym in the U.S.)
Those are the same hours as LA Fitness so that's fine. The only good 24 hour gym I've been too is SnapFitness.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Planet fitness. 10$ a month, no 'contract'. No classes or other stuff. Just machines, cardio and free weights.

20$ gets you stuff like tanning and other services.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
globo.jpg

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I usually stick with Planet Fitness or Anytime Fitness, depending on which one is closest to my apartment at the time. Neither is good for serious weightlifters, but luckily I am not a serious weightlifter. However i take a lot of long road trips for fun each year and it's nice being with either chain since there are a shitload of locations everywhere, so I don't have to worry about finding a spot to exercise when I'm outside the state.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
PF is a nice simple gym and low cost. Anytime is pretty similar.

Orange Theory is pretty pricey if you want to take multiple classes a week and that's they're main focus. I think a "founders" membership was like 60 a month for four classes a week.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
The one that has free Pizza I would say.

No, but seriously. It doesn't really matter. As long as they have the necessary equipment, and the opening hours are wide enough then any gym should do. Go for the one that's the closest and cheapest for you.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I really like Planet Fitness and Blink. I highly suggest Trying out Orange Theory if you can afford it. I liked it a lot, but personally, I wasn't able to justify the cost.

Oct 27, 2017
I recommend LA Fitness. Planet Fitness has oppressive rules, or at least that's what their commercials advertise, and they also give you pizza for whatever reason. Gold's Gym is good, but a membership only gets you access to one of their gyms. LA Fitness has a lot of various pieces of equipment you'd want, doesn't have Planet Fitness' rules, and you can use any of their locations with a membership.