• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I'm looking for any type of apocalypse. Aliens, zombies, virus, nuclear war, doesn't matter.
I just need it to get my mind flowing after a bit of writer's block.
I'm counting on you, Era.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
The Road by Cormac McCarthy would be an excellent start. I'd also recommend Earth Abides by Goerge R. Stewart.

the-road-cover.png
71qzat42Q1L.jpg

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Dog Stars by Peter Heller.
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.
Wolrd War Z by Max Brooks.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
everyone's read The Postman, right?

i feel like everyone i talk to says the book is better than the movie

Jan 13, 2018
On the Beach by Neville Shute

The novel details the experiences of a mixed group of people in Melbourne as they await the arrival of deadly radiation spreading towards them from the Northern Hemisphere, following a nuclear war a year previously. As the radiation approaches, each person deals with impending death differently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Beach_(novel)

The movie adaptation (Gregory Peck & Ava Gardener) was pretty good, too, but a bit drawn out. Did not see the more recent version.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Another recommendation:

81SH5Jn8NkL.jpg

Hig, bereaved and traumatised after global disaster, has three things to live for - his dog Jasper, his aggressive but helpful neighbour, and his Cessna aeroplane. He's just about surviving, so long as he only takes his beloved plane for short journeys, and saves his remaining fuel.

But, just once, he picks up a message from another pilot, and eventually the temptation to find out who else is still alive becomes irresistible. So he takes his plane over the horizon, knowing that he won't have enough fuel to get back. What follows is scarier and more life-affirming than he could have imagined. And his story, The Dog Stars, is a book unlike any you have ever read.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A Canticle for Leibowitz
Oryx and Crake
The Postman
Always Coming Home
Alas, Babylon

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
I liked Wool by Hugh Howey. Its a mystery / thriller set in a fallout-style bunker long after the bombs have fallen.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
For recent ones, Cloud Atlas, it's different and a great book. And it's a different take on the apocalypse.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
The Stand by Stephen King. Yes, it's a lot of post-apocalyptic novel, especially if you read the author's preferred Super Doorstop edition, but I loved having that much time to spend with all of the characters throughout the apocalypse and beyond. King lingers on the horror of it all and also puts some time into the rebuilding aspects.

Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle that shows the impact of a huge metorite on the California coast and then the attempts by the characters to survive and, if not rebuild, fortify. It's a solid read, if pessimistic and probably a bit too libertarian tinged to be really enjoyable.

For a totally goofy take on nuclear apocalypse fiction, I can't actually recommend Jerry Ahern's The Survivalist series, but I've ready a bunch of it and enjoyed it as trashy men's adventure fun. John Thomas Rourke, a sort of prepper culture Mary Sue, will do what it takes to _survive_, which gets increasingly ludicrous when later books start to involve cryogenics and fighting those goddamned commies into the distant future. It's a savage slice of Reagan-era cheese and in no way realistic, except for the loving descriptions of the firearms our heroes use gleefully kill the aforementioned commies.

However, if you're looking for something post-nuke then you should really read some of the titles already mentioned above. I enthusiastically second the following:

A Canticle for Liebowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr., about how long after the nuclear holocaust the Catholic Church attempts to interpret relics left behind by a mysterious saint. It's an absolute classic and if you read one post-apocalyptic novel this should probably be it, though it takes place well after the event itself and is about future societies interpreting the past and rebuilding based on old knowledge.

On The Beach by Nevil Shute, about a military sub that lands in Australia after the nuclear war and how everyone attempts to come to terms with impending doom. It's quietly grim and very good.

The Postman by David Brin. No, seriously, it's pretty good. After the war a survivor starts to wear a postal uniform and that brings the promise of hope of society being able to rebuild. I have no idea what the movie is like but the novel is a solid read.

While we're going post-nuke, I don't remember it terribly well but I did enjoy Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank, which I believe was a fairly early entry in the post-nuclear apocalyptic novel genre. Florida gets nuked and the folks there try to survive, though, I mean (insert Florida joke here).

I can't vouch for the whole trilogy but N.K Jemisin's Broken Earth Trilogy is award winning, acclaimed, and top notch fiction about a world that undergoes total catastrophic apocalypses on a regular enough basis that they have structures in place for how to rebuild afterward, which doesn't make it any less terrible or traumatic. The first novel, The Fifth season, was excellent but harsh enough that I haven't gotten on board for the two sequels.

Finally, books I keep meaning to read but haven't gotten around to yet are Swan Song by Robert McCammon and The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett. One day!

Schiavone!

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 19, 2021
Another vote for the Earth Abides. It stuck with me in ways I didn't expect it to. Really profound.

Robaperas

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Random Acts of Senseless Violence by Jack Womack, is not simply about the apocalypse or surviving it, but as someone describes it "apocalypse in a young girl's diary", it describes the world around her imploding and changing for the worst.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
This thread reminded me to finally order The Broken Earth series by NK Jemsin. Can't wait

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh... I've been stuck in writer's block for easily a week so I feel you OP. Here's the few I've enjoyed:

World War Z - Max Brooks
The Stand - Stephen King
Metro 2033 - Dmitry Glukhovsky

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I liked Wool by Hugh Howey. Its a mystery / thriller set in a fallout-style bunker long after the bombs have fallen.
Oh man, I really liked wool. I randomly picked it up (digitally) when it first came out and really enjoyed it. I'm watchibg the snowpiercer TV show now and it reminds me of wool surprisingly.

Another title is recommend is borne by Jeff Van Der Meer. He wrote the southern reach trilogy which the movie annihilation was based on. I don't know if they are in the same universe but borne is set after a biological technical disaster. It stars a scavenger and an enormous flying bear.

If I hadn't read van Der meers other books I'd think this was a stupid premise but it's so good. He describes the destroyed husk of the world really well and all the weird changes and creations that are left behind from people's experiments. I can't recommend Borne enough!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's more apocalypse than post, but it's also god-tier:
www.goodreads.com

Ice

In this haunting and surreal novel, the narrator and a man known as the warden search for an elusive girl in a frozen, seemingly post-nuc...
Man pursues woman in surreal, hallucinatory trip that worsens alongside the conditions.

Random quotes that probably sell it better than the almost impossible task of summarising it:

So many dreams are crowding upon me now that I can scarcely tell true from false: dreams like light imprisoned in bright mineral caves; hot, heavy dreams; ice-age dreams; dreams like machines in the head.
‐---------
I had never before met anyone who owned a telephone and believed in dragons.
‐---------
As her fate, she accepted the world of ice, shining, shimmering, dead; she resigned herself to the triumph of glaciers and the death of the world.

Last edited:

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Charon Docks at Daylight.

34742668._SY475_.jpg

Official Blurb:
It's six years after an infection turned a majority of the population into ferocious, zombie-like creatures that hunt during the day, forcing the living into a nocturnal state of existence. Survival is a continuous struggle when it's hide or fight, and the creatures aren't the only threat in a wasted America. Sometimes fighting is the only answer.

Author:
Zoe Reed
read it here: Charon Docks At Daylight Chapter 1: Welcome To The New Age, a thriller fiction | FictionPress
Genre: Femslash, Post-Apocalyptic, Zombies, Drama
Length: 420.000 Words

We follow three protagonists in this Novel. Genevieve, a young Lieutenant of a military outfit that tries to protect the civilians and fight the Raiders. Echo, a young Raider who reluctantly is doing her job because her Uncle is the leader. And Dugan, a middle-aged man who tries to survive.
Genevieve and Echo have a history (previous Schoolfriends) and when they clash 6 years later, Echo finds out that the very first raid she partook in after the outbreak, her gang also attracted Zombies who swarmed the camp after the raid. Genevieve's Dad and Brother died.
The story revolves mostly around Genevieve and Echo coming to terms with their history and feelings and what the future brings. Dugan is quite detached from that storyline for a while.
The Zombies are not your standard fare and quite capable of some intelligence and cunning.
[/QUOTE]

Mikoby

Oct 28, 2017
station_eleven-web.jpg

I think HBO is adapting it to a series at the moment but I definitely recommend reading it as it's beautifully written and just pretty damn great.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Seconding A Canticle for Leibowitz, the Broken Earth trilogy, Station Eleven, and Oryx and Crake. You might also want to take a look at Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle.

If you're open to something a little more challenging, try Riddley Walker:
hbg-title-9780575119512-9.jpg

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
This one has always stuck with me.

White Plague by Frank Herbert.
41A-blskzRL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_ML2_.jpg

When an IRA terrorist car bomb explodes, the wife and children of molecular biologist John Roe O'Neill are indiscriminately killed on May 20, 1996. Driven halfway insane by loss, his mind fragments into several personalities that carry out his plan for him. He plans a gendercidal revenge and creates a plague that kills only women, but for which men are the carriers

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
36204070._SY475_.jpg

The blurb:
One afternoon at an outdoor market in India, a man's shadow disappears—an occurrence science cannot explain. He is only the first. The phenomenon spreads like a plague, and while those afflicted gain a strange new power, it comes at a horrible price: the loss of all their memories.

The blurb mentions "the loss of all their memories", which I don't think really does it justice. The plague is this slow, creeping, impossible to stop Alzheimer's-like thing with a handful of magical realism (not sure if that's your thing or not). I read the book last year and really liked it, but it was exceptionally weird to read in February of 2020.