• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 23, 2017
Octopath Traveler:
latest

Project Triangle Strategy:
Switch_ND021721_PTS_SCRN_09.jpg

Valheim(honorable mention):
unknown.png

ANNO Mutationem(honorable mention):
unknown.png

I don't know if I should count ANNO Mutationem as "HD 2D" but...eh, I'll give it a mention just because I like the aesthetic and more people should know about it. ;)

I love pixel graphics, 2D sprites, and 2D sprites in a 3D world! (Ragnarok Online, Wild Arms 2, Chantelise, etc.)

But what really gets to me are these games that combine the three with high end lighting effects.

I don't know what kind of black magic is at work here, but these games are really visually impressive to me and sometimes down right cozy at times.

Are there other games out there that do these things?

Last edited:

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Me too. I was hoping for more copycats ever since the Octopath team dubbed the term "HD-2D", but so far Octopath and Project Trapeze Starfish seem to be the best go-tos.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was debating if I wanted to put it in the list.

I think I'll keep it up there but I'll put honorable mention on it.

To be more constructive towards the thread, I think this aesthetic has been around a while. Basically things like Disgaea, Recettear etc have been doing this. There's a recent resurgence of devs really going ham on it though. Ori games are technically HD 2D by your definition as well, as they're rendered in a 3D engine as 2D sprites.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Your honorable mention looks better than the rest lol

11.gif

tenor.gif

9.gif

image5_nb3y.gif

Eiyuden chronicle is gonna be fire

9daf708c145fe22a5497607ce99ba221_original.gif

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like how Octopath looks too much but Project Triangle looks amaaaaazing.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
FWIW we are currently making a game that uses this style of graphics. Not revealed yet but won't be long.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I love the way the SMW sprites look in Mario maker. Would love a remake of sorts but with the original physics.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, not a big fan. They look too clean, and felt like they're relying a lot on fancy post processing. I don't like it. Triangle strategy does look better than Octopath due to less use of vignette effect.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't call it "HD 2D", rather "Retro 3D" or something like that since this style harkens back to the days of early 3D graphics with low res, pixelated textures and 2D sprites.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I generally call these 2.5D since they're 2D sprites in a 3D environment. Grandia 1 & Xenogears being some big examples of the past.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I love this style because if you make it too clean it looks like an old flash game which just turns me off. Having the pixelated art makes it feel cozy.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I really love this art style, the contrast between pixel art and realistic effects or geometry is so amazing.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
We're considering using this kind of style in a future game so we did some mock-ups of Lunar: Eternal Blue (one of my all-time favorite games) on the Sega CD in a 2.5D style to see how quickly we could do it and how it would look. Ignore the new fonts since we just threw something in.

Lunar-Town-Outside.png

Lunar-Town-Inside.png

Lunar-Dungeon.png

Lunar-Battle.png

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I think Triangle proves the style works better with a 3/4 camera angle, which basically makes it look like Xenogears or Grandia 1 or something.

What I really wanna see some JRPG developers do though is HD pre-rendered backgrounds like Pillars of Eternity and Disco Elysium. If those small and mid-sized developers can do it, why can't some Japanese developers go back to that?

qvrjxN8.jpg

yS92ttV.jpg

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
We're considering using this kind of style in a future game so we did some mock-ups of Lunar: Eternal Blue (one of my all-time favorite games) on the Sega CD in a 2.5D style to see how quickly we could do it and how it would look. Ignore the new fonts since we just threw something in.

Lunar-Town-Outside.png

Lunar-Town-Inside.png

Lunar-Dungeon.png

Lunar-Battle.png
This basically hits the same note some PS1 JRPGs did, like the PS1 version of Dragon Quest IV, as well as the DS versions of that, DQV, and VI.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

Lunar-Town-Outside.png

Lunar-Town-Inside.png

Lunar-Dungeon.png

Lunar-Battle.png
Beautiful, yes please! :D

Looking forward to Eiyuden Chronicles and Triangle Strategy next year (if they both make it).

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Half the games in the OP are not HD 2D...

Valheim doesn't even have a 2D perspective, it's a straight up polygonal 3D game.

I like the look of games like Octopath Traveler, but not so much the gameplay. I prefer simpler combat systems like Dragon Quest or FF I-X.

Muramasa looks great in HD too, like on a Wii emulator. Vanillaware did the 2D HD look really well.

I hate to say it but I honestly prefer the more basic, old ass pixelated look of Suikoden 2 than Eiyuuden's shiny new visuals.
I agree

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019

Lunar-Town-Outside.png

Lunar-Town-Inside.png

Lunar-Dungeon.png

Lunar-Battle.png
That's neat. Did you pick Lunar in particular with the intention to pitch a remake/remaster or is it purely for example?

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
square enix copyrighted HD2D.

only square games can be HD2D since it's now a square series

Feb 15, 2019
I love how games like Muramasa Rebirth and Eiyuuden look. Such a shame Muaramasa is stuck on the Vita. Also interesting how I rreally do think games like the aforementioned 2 look really pretty but in general I am completely unimpressed with most "normal" pixel games.