• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Find something else to put your effort into?

Like another game that doesn't eat up your time or requires a schedule. Something like a DnD, actual sports, etc.

Go to the gym. Release your energy there so it's not only healthy but also helps you have less free time to play a fighting game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nearest place is like an hour drive, opposite direction of where I work.

I went through the same thing for cognitive behavioral therapy and I washed out because I was too scared to make the drive. It sucks, but I definitely screwed myself by not going and right now I'm honestly in a bad spot myself.

So I know it's an hour's drive but I would at least consider it. For now though I want you to try focusing on things you can do right now, rather than in the future. Have you unplugged your consoles and put your fighting games away?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I've already told them how I feel about this stuff and now I know every interaction I with them from now on they will always know me as "that guy with issues." I'd rather isolate myself from now on.

Do you know this for sure? And Era isn't just fighting games. You seem like good people. No one wants you banned.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If someone is expressing distress the first thing that comes through your mouth shouldnt be wuuuut da fuck?
actually in real life to people I know, whether family/friends/acquaintences, if someone tells me something wild and I don't believe it... then my exact response to them would be "wtf?"

it wasn't just saying to a random internet poster

in any case, if yall believe the OP then okay no problem. like u said, I'll leave this thread because I won't have anything to contribute to the subject. I've never met anyone in life who physically does those things, so I have no experience in the topic

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Once every night for about 6 hours. I've cut out a lot of sleep time.
Okay how about this. Instead of 6 hours every night set an alarm that goes off at 5 hours. Keep playing every night but always adhere to the 5 hour limit. Obey the alarm and stop playing even if youre in the middle of a set. Just trying to give you ideas to wean yourself off of playing for so long every night. Eventually cut the hours down again. If you can make it a routine it will be easier to cut down your time with them. Maybe even after the timer goes off you can switch to another genre of games you enjoy or draw?

I guess avoiding the things that cause such levels of upset is a good start.

Have a pillow or something with you. The next time you want to be violent toward yourself, direct it all at the pillow. Do not hurt yourself. Let that dumb pillow take it all.

Also this. While you are playing keep the pillow with you. Don't worry about controlling your feelings when they come up just recognize theyre there. If you gotta shmack the pillow shmack that damn pillow but don't hurt yourself. And just try to recognize how you're feeling as those emotions come up.

And really try to get profession help if you can kalma It would be a much bigger help than anything us forum goers could say or do to help.

Hounds

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of working on your combos you should work on yourself. Your self esteem/ self worth seems to be quite low and it might be why you're so hard on yourself. If you wanna continue this hobby you need to focus on the positives just as much as the negatives. Try yo find what you did right as well as what you need to work on. Fighting games are about growth and if you're gonna to be overly critical then that wont do you well either.
Possibly find another hobby in the mean time while you cool off. It'll help you get better at something else and feel better about yourself. You're investing too much into one hobby, and one that is traditionally quite unforgiving.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, well, that's way too much regardless of how you're reacting. Healthy sleep habits is going to be a big help.

It sounds like you need professional help. I saw the post about the nearest place being an hour away. If it's doable for you financially, it's worth it.

Honestly, maybe you should get rid of your consoles for now. Give them to a family member or something. This habit isn't healthy for you.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
IMO it sounds like you're hard on yourself and since you're hard on yourself it all just keeps compounding. Losing at a fighting game you're trying to be good at escalates your anxiety and self-worth. A re-evaluation is in matter. NO ONE -REALLY- CARES ABOUT THE GAME BUT YOU, AND YOU CARE TOO MUCH.

I just played a couple hours of MK11 online tonight and overall got my ass kicked. Who cares that I lost? Really, who? Absolutely no one, it doesn't change anything in the universe. I play for fun. I may not be a fighting game prodigy, some great players just have those instincts and time commitments I humbly don't possess. I couldn't write a successful pop song either, but I can still appreciate the musical ability some people have that I'll never understand.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Winning at video games is meaningless, it's not a real achievement. Your life is not better in any way at all because you won at a video game - actually, that's time you didn't spend working out, or learning a skill, or whatever.

Anyway, you need help ASAP but you know this already. What I can tell you is that you're not a bad person and there's nothing wrong with needing help.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I don't know what your financial situation is like or if you have insurance but seek help ASAP.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I find myself at times getting frustrated. I might say out loud, "bullshit" or something, but I recognize its time to stop. If you're hurting yourself you should uninstall those games and sell the physical ones. If playing any game tempts you to play fighting games, consider stepping away from gaming altogether.

Also, as others have pointed out. Seek professional help.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've already told them how I feel about this stuff and now I know every interaction I with them from now on they will always know me as "that guy with issues." I'd rather isolate myself from now on.

If they're your friends, they'll be cool with it. They have issues too, everyone does. 6 hours on days you work is kinda excessive. I'll admit I spend 6 hours on my weekend sometimes, but that's because I have nothing else to do here and I work nights so I'm too off-schedule to do much with friends. Worknights it's usually 1 hour before sleep and 30-45 mins after. If I tilt hard, I might cut into sleep some.

I think the issue is gamblers fallacy- people hate taking the L and calling it quits for the day, and it can build up, especially when you feel its unfair (you might know it's not unfair, but you still feel deep down its unfair). If I knew the solution to this, I'd take it myself, but I am afraid of being so bored I go crazy (and boredom made me go crazy a bit last year)

Fresco Vivir

Apr 12, 2018
well look I used to be like you especially in competitive games but I just decide to sit with myself and think through why I do this...now that I have family and work I barely get time to play video games If I got two continues hours of play without interrupt I will consider myself lucky. So why waste your valuable time in getting angry instead try to enjoy the game learn from your opponent's moves and come back with better plan to kick their asses. I like fighting games because it doesn't require a lot of time to play you can play two rounds in less than 10 minutes so don't quit it...just try to change the way you look at it.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
I think you need to try to find other hobbies that you like and perhaps even quit playing fighting games entirely. It's like that family member who gets abusive every time he/she gets drunk, and that person needs to quit drinking for good. You know if they start drinking again after a long break it wont be pretty and they just need to quit forever. You can still play video games but just not fighting games.

Try playing some quirky funny games where you can chill too and get a laugh and see if it gives you some relief like Yakuza 0, Saints Row 3, etc., and just play casually where you can still enjoy playing something but not fighting games. You'll get the pleasure of playing something but getting your mind off of it. I was soooo surprised how good Saints Row 3 is and how funny it is. There's a lot of funny enjoyable games that will keep you entertained with a story and you'll be surprised. Try to find another hobby too. I don't think it is a major problem but when I go through spurts of playing games, I take a break and try to walk my dog more, go to the gym and do some weights, do things with my nephew, get into a new show on Netflix etc. Try to find some other hobbies that take you away from playing fighting games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56841

Banned
May 18, 2019
well look I used to be like you especially in competitive games but I just decide to sit with myself and think through why I do this...now that I have family and work I barely get time to play video games If I got two continues hours of play without interrupt I will consider myself lucky. So why waste your valuable time in getting angry instead try to enjoy the game learn from your opponent's moves and come back with better plan to kick their asses. I like fighting games because it doesn't require a lot of time to play you can play two rounds in less than 10 minutes so don't quit it...just try to change the way you look at it.
I've tried changing my outlook on fighting games for like two years now, I can't make myself see it in a new light. I need to quit.

Deleted member 57578

Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Imagine your gaming devices broke, and for the foreseeable future you were unable to play any game at all. What would you see yourself doing on day to day basis in such a scenario?

Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm gonna parrot what everyone else is saying and you should get some help, but I do believe that you absolutely can help yourself. I say this because I sometimes feel similar (maybe not to your degree), but I can overcome it at times. What helps me is actually LEARNING from my mistakes. I can put aside whether I win or lose as long as I'm learning something. Stop focusing on winning and focus and learning and it might help you feel better. Just recently I started playing SF5 again and I felt absolutely awful because my winrate was like 50%. I started to focus on why I was losing instead of just always trying to win and it made me feel much better. I haven't read every post yet, but what games are you playing that are causing you such grief?

OP
OP

Deleted member 56841

Banned
May 18, 2019
I going to end up quitting only to never get over it. I will always feel like literally anyone better than me at a fighting game is smarter and more capable than me. Like, it doesn't matter if I become an accomplished artist or whatever the fuck I could do to make my life not be a total waste, but those people still will have beaten me completely and I will always be lesser than them.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56841

Banned
May 18, 2019
Imagine your gaming devices broke, and for the foreseeable future you were unable to play any game at all. What would you see yourself doing on day to day basis in such a scenario?
I guess draw but I feel like I would still be shit at that. I'm shit at it and would only end up beating myself up over being shit at that too. Plus, I think being a great fighting game player is far more impressive than ever being a good illustrator.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I dont feel all that much better, mostly neutral.

But losing feels fucking devastating
That's a big identifier that these sorts of things aren't good for your mental well-being. Winning should generally feel about as good as losing feels bad. Think of it as a +1 vs. -1 in terms of mental state, essentially. In your case, however, it looks something like 0 vs. -3; if you're not getting anything out of winning and getting a severely-increased effect from losing...that road doesn't lead anywhere good. You need to find stuff that has an overall positive effect, basically.

I guess draw but I feel like I would still be shit at that. I'm shit at it and would only end up beating myself up over being shit at that too.
As a graphic designer: you'll likely be very surprised what you can do, given just a little bit of practice there. Look at some simple lessons, but don't follow the instructions too closely; rather, focus on making stuff that's distinctly your own. Find your style, refine it, and you might just get hooked on it.

Plus, I think being a great fighting game player is far more impressive than ever being a good illustrator.
Outside of some very hardcore/enthusiast circles: it really isn't. People are usually in need of an illustrator; there's lots of careers to be had there. It's a challenging gig more often than not, and good illustration really does command respect.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
I guess draw but I feel like I would still be shit at that. I'm shit at it and would only end up beating myself up over being shit at that too. Plus, I think being a great fighting game player is far more impressive than ever being a good illustrator.

Being good at fighting games is a skill that will only impress nerds within a very small niche, meanwhile illustration is a skill that can be used to solve problems, it has a real value. If you can make something eye catching you can sell your work or use it to sell someone else's, if you get good at fighters you will still have to work a 9 to 5 job to pay the bills unless you are within the highest tier of players who get sponsored, which is not feasible even for some top 8 EVO players.

I was very explosive (a complete asshole, you might say) too when I was younger, not necessarily because I was bad at games but because I was feeling worthless too, what helped me chill a lot was to find something I cared about and focus achieving it. My goal was to get a college degree, I studied hard for my exams and then worked even harder to achieve what I wanted. Focusing in what I was working on helped me stop comparing myself to other people who I percieved as more successful and it made me so much happier, when I graduated last year I felt like my life was worth living and makes me keep working every day to keep improving myself in any way possible.

Maybe you'll be able to enjoy fighting games, but first you need to work on yourself and your self worth.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't know about that. I gave up drawing when I was 14 (my teacher and her casual racism may have played a part, but I digress) and I really wish I would've kept it up, because it's something that really impresses me when I see some amazing artwork. Now I can barely draw a stick figure lol.

I'm not sure if you saw my previous post, but I'm really curious as to what fighting games you play?

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After speaking with Kalma at length, he remains determined to pursue his deletion request. We have therefore (sadly) honoured it.

Status
Not open for further replies.