• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which immersive sim should I start with?

• Deus Ex

Votes: 98 27.7%
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Votes: 145 41.0%
  • Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Votes: 27 7.6%
  • System Shock 2

Votes: 22 6.2%
  • Arx Fatalis

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • Thief

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • Other (Specify)

Votes: 44 12.4%

• Total voters

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
There's no question in my mind that it's either Bioshock or Dishonored. Then you work back, assuming you love the genre, play the other classics. You could go Deathloop as well, but that's got extra mechanics on top that might confuse matters.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I think Deus Ex Human Revolution is a great jumping in point to the genre. It's got segmented areas which might be a bit easier to get into than one sprawing area like other games in the genre, some great characters to get invested in, and an awesome world. It's also more modern so it might be easier to get into at this point than the original game. The areas being segmented is nice because it gives you like a halfway point between fully level based like Disnonored, and one full interconnected world like a Prey.

Oct 27, 2017
As other posters have said Prey is great. On top of being a culmination of the genre, it does something I really liked:
The space station of Prey is amazing because you have the opportunityto go outside into space, which unlocks shortcuts, access to new areas, and materials. Bioshock never did anything similar with Rapture, ans System Shock 2 locks you completely within the ship.
The only reason i would tell you to hold off on System Shock 2 is that Nightdive is working on an remastered version alongside the System Shock remake, but I have no idea when that will be out.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame so many people consider System Shock 1 to be unplayable. It's an amazing game despite the graphics and somewhat clunky interface. Out of the poll options, I would pick Deus Ex 1. I suppose it wouldn't matter so much story-wise to start with Human Revolution but the original is where this genre's strengths shine brightest.

OP
OP
Elfgore

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Though Deus Ex are leading by a good amount, a lot of the comments are pushing towards Prey being great. Narrowed down my options quite a bit. Thanks everyone for answering!

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Prey is the best modern offering, bar none.

Bioshock and Dishonored are more immsim-lites, or have elements of immersive sims. (The latter honestly reminded me more of the modern Wolfenstein games). I can't really recommend Dishonored 1, to be honest.

If you can stomach them with modernization patches, then it's hard to beat the original Deus Ex or Thief.

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Prey 2017 is a great entry point.
To be completely honest I think Deathloop is a good intro to immersive sims. It's nowhere near as deep as other games in the genre and it's very linear, but it gives you a decent amount of tools and freedom.

I would call it an immersive sim-lite but all genre discussions are kind of dumb and we really don't need more.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Out of those in poll, Deus Ex HR is probably best way to play because it's just most modern design. But yeah, Prey 2017 would be my suggestion as well.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
While the original Deus Ex is objectively 10/10 game it is pretty old now, with it's own quirks and the first level might overwhelm you if you do not 'get' the genre yet so I would recommend going with Human Revolution instead. It's streamlined but not dumbed down, the story and gameplay are smooth and will help you get your feet wet before diving into more robust experiences. Bioshock is good too, but I did not find it representative of a genre as a whole, mostly due to it lacking alternative/hidden paths that are core of immersive sims to me.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mankind Divided for sure. Those are excellent immersive sims, with lots of roleplaying elements too and a solid cyberpunk story to get you invested. They're also modern games, certainly in the looks, which is a plus point in comparison to the genre defining excellence of the original. You can also quite happily go loud and engage in combat.

Prey (2017) is also fantastic, the mechanics and setting are really special. The actual main plot is.. well it's not as good as other games, but the mechanical immersion and world building throughout the levels is second to none. And again, you can build relatively combat heavy without being punished.

I would recommend the Dishonoured games too, but those very definitely punish you for engaging in combat and killing your enemies. Stealth isn't really optional in that game if you want a 'good' ending.

Then if you want to go back to the classics, Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines is a fantastic stopping point that still looks good today, thanks to the wonderful facial animations. Lots of fun choices and roleplaying in that title, with a world that really nails that feeling of the World of Darkness. And you can build a combat monster if you want.

The original Deus Ex has been talked about, and I'd definitely recommend it alongside System Shock 2, buuuuut those are rough looking games these days. Mods can help but I wouldn't recommend them for first timers to the genre. You should look into playing them though.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
The new Prey might be the best game from last generation, why not start there?

EDIT: I see a lot of people recommending Bioshock. I wouldn't start with that. It's got a great setting, but isn't really an immersive sim. It's more a (poor) FPS, with a few powers to spice things up.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
As someone for whom the original game didn't click the first time I played it Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a great starter for connecting with the genre properly for the first time. Made it easier to go back to the first game later even. On the otherhand if you just want to dive in without training wheels and play the best modern execution of the concept then Prey is the best option.

I can't disagree more with those saying Bioshock, I can't recall doing much in that game I'd even consider immersive sim like. A shooter with powers and upgrades alone isn't enough to put it in that catagory.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I'd start with Dishonored or Prey.

Not sure why people are recommending Bioshock to be honest, it's a good game, but not an immersive sim. Even if it's somewhere in between a more traditional FPS and an immersive sim, I don't think a transition game is required. These games aren't especially complicated.

bigturkey

Mar 16, 2022
Prey 2017 is fantastic and a great place to start, I think. Engaging gameplay, incredible level design affording multiple approaches to engage with, interesting characters and an engrossing story, fun combat and abilities and a severely overlooked soundtrack. For me it's the full package, I actually replayed it at the start of the year on the series x and it looks and runs beautifully.

Failing that, I also think Deus Ex Human Revolution would be a good jumping in point, and then the sequel is also well worth your time. Depending on how you get on with these you could then go back to some of the older titles, which whilst still incredible, have aged in certain areas, making them a little more difficult to engage with (at least that was my experience, but is entirely contingent on how comfortable you are with older games.)

Either way, you're in for a treat

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus, stop mentioning/arguing over Bioshock. OP already said they played the whole series.

Anyway, I'd say Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dishonored or Prey are all fine choices for this.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I have not played Deus Ex yet or any of the PC only ones, but:

If you haven't played Bioshock, that's an excellent transition point from traditional FPS's. I find Dishonored is approachable because of the discrete levels, in contrast to how Prey can be kind of overwhelming (even though I think Prey is ultimately the more impressive game).

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Deus ex: HR, dishonored, bioshock or prey. Leave the classics for later. You ain't ready for that level of clunky yet. Once you don't mind and have a feel for how things work you will find tons to love there though.

Oct 25, 2017
Prey is the best modern immersive sim, but Deus Ex: HR is also great. I couldn't get into dishonored for whatever reason.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Of the ones listed I'd say start with either DX game for sure.

But you could also go for Dishonored or Prey. They're both superb for different things.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
System Shock 1 Enhanced Edition adds mouselook and other modernizations like 4K/widescreen/FOV support, and is still top 5 all time in my book.

Skipping it is a mistake.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
System Shock 1 Enhanced Edition adds mouselook and other modernizations like 4K/widescreen/FOV support, and is still top 5 all time in my book.

Skipping it is a mistake.
I've been thinking about it on and off, but that System Shock remake (which looked really nice in its demo) is aiming for a release this year...

TrashyPanda

Oct 28, 2017
Dishonored or Deus Ex: HR. Og Deus Ex is a masterpiece but its a hard game to get into. Prey is also fine but the combat is legitimately terrible.

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
Between the 3 Dishonored games I'd say Death of the Outsider is the best one to get a feel for the series. It's easier than the first 2, you have less powers, and it's shorter, but it's still really good. If you want more you can then go back and play the first 2 (and the campaign DLC for 1). The lore and world of Dishonored is very interesting, but the overarching story is not, so I don't think you'd miss much by starting with the last one.

Prey is my favorite. I played it before Dishonored and enjoyed it, but I played it again after the Dishonored series and liked it a lot better b/c I had a better handle on how all the systems work in that type of game.

What I've played of the Hitman series is good if you like the trial and routine.

I haven't played any of the classics-Thief, system shock, deus ex, etc. I'm hoping the system shock remake and SS3 release eventually.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I've been thinking about it on and off, but that System Shock remake (which looked really nice in its demo) is aiming for a release this year...
Jeez I hope they can get it finished. Feels like that was announced a decade ago.

I'll definitely be checking it out, but the original is just special to me, first game I bought with my own money after playing the demo disc to death. It's almost like Metroid the way you gradually power up as you explore and graft more and more technology onto your body, which opens up more and more of the environment.

Don't blame you for waiting for the remake either way. My recommendation to you today would be Human Revolution. That game took me back.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
I would recommend the Dishonoured games too, but those very definitely punish you for engaging in combat and killing your enemies. Stealth isn't really optional in that game if you want a 'good' ending.
You can actually kill a fairly large number of enemies and still maintain a "low" chaos rating in Dishonored 1. I haven't played Dishonored 2 so I don't know how it is in that, but in Dishonored 1 I killed I decent number of the enemies I came across and still had a low chaos rating at the end of every mission except mission 1. It is true though that you can't go in guns blazing, but it's not quite as strict as I expected it to be either.

I do see the higher enemy populations on a "high chaos" run as the game sort of having a bit of dynamic difficulty adjustment built-in. It's easier to kill enemies than to stealth your way past them, so adding more hazards balances this.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
People recommending Bioshock are crazy, it's not an immersive sim or even a good game, it's a dumb shooter with powers.

People are recommending it not because it's an immersive sim, but because there is just enough bleed over that it would be a good primer before a new player dives into the genre for real.

And I agree with them.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
People are recommending it not because it's an immersive sim, but because there is just enough bleed over that it would be a good primer before a new player dives into the genre for real.

And I agree with them.

I understand and i heavily disagree, Bioshock is the antithesis to immersive sims: a game where you shoot your way through until the end and make some dumb binary moral choices vs the genre known for having a shit ton of options to interact with enemies and the level design through emergent gameplay from the very beginning.

Bioshock as any kind of introduction to the genre doesn't make sense, having a "0451" reference and electrocuting enemies in puddles of water are not enough, it's much closer to DOOM than it is to Prey.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mankind Divided for sure. Those are excellent immersive sims, with lots of roleplaying elements too and a solid cyberpunk story to get you invested. They're also modern games, certainly in the looks, which is a plus point in comparison to the genre defining excellence of the original. You can also quite happily go loud and engage in combat.

Prey (2017) is also fantastic, the mechanics and setting are really special. The actual main plot is.. well it's not as good as other games, but the mechanical immersion and world building throughout the levels is second to none. And again, you can build relatively combat heavy without being punished.

Then if you want to go back to the classics, Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines is a fantastic stopping point that still looks good today, thanks to the wonderful facial animations. Lots of fun choices and roleplaying in that title, with a world that really nails that feeling of the World of Darkness. And you can build a combat monster if you want.

The original Deus Ex has been talked about, and I'd definitely recommend it alongside System Shock 2, buuuuut those are rough looking games these days. Mods can help but I wouldn't recommend them for first timers to the genre. You should look into playing them though.
It's not a punishment to take your actions into account.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Human revolution and Mankind divided are must plays.

But I would also suggest Prey,which is FANTASTIC

Add the Dishonored series as well with their DLC

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
Deus Ex is the ultimate, but Prey or Dishonored series is a good shout for modern day graphics