• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HDR

• I dont get it either. HDR is all hype for little gain...

Votes: 89 28.3%
  • You're fucking blind, Vex.

Votes: 62 19.7%
  • (pushes up glasses) It is your hardware or hardware setup probably.

Votes: 103 32.7%
  • Play a game with better HDR implementation.

Votes: 61 19.4%

• Total voters

VamosTigres

Jun 11, 2020
I hate HDR but it's because my TV sucks (super cheap TCL 4-series). Hoping to upgrade over the next few months and see what it's actually supposed to look like

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Get a better TV and then try some of the very best HDR games out there as:
  • AC Origins
  • AC Odyssey
  • Battlefield 1
  • Battlefield V
  • Call of Duty - Modern Warfare
  • Doom Eternal
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Halo: MCC
  • Gears of War 4
  • Gears 5
  • Ori
  • Ori 2
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • All Xbox Series X SDR titles + AutoHDR (after a system-wide HDR Calibration).
These picks, but also dont judge the feature by a budget tv.

Tanston

Nov 29, 2017
I have a TCL tv and the HDR sucks and has soured me on the HDR experience. Everything is super dark no matter what I do and I spend wayyyyy too much time fiddling with settings. I shouldn't need to have my tvs secret operator menu shortcuts memorized IMO :(
So i'm inclined to blame your TV because I sure blame mine. I didn't go look at my model but I think it's the same exact TV as yours. And it is for sure the TV I've seen good HDR at friends houses this TCL model....it's not good.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
As a former HDR skeptic, it's probably a feature I appreciate the most on my C9. It really is night and day--I've never seen such pitch-dark blacks and blindingly bright whites before--so I'm inclined to believe that it's not your eyes.

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
I have a TCL tv and the HDR sucks and has soured me on the HDR experience. Everything is super dark no matter what I do and I spend wayyyyy too much time fiddling with settings. I shouldn't need to have my tvs secret operator menu shortcuts memorized IMO :(
So i'm inclined to blame your TV because I sure blame mine. I didn't go look at my model but I think it's the same exact TV as yours. And it is for sure the TV I've seen good HDR at friends houses this TCL model....it's not good.
This is me right now I have a TLC 4K Roku TV and Sackboy A Big Adventure, Days Gone, AstroBot all look super dark when I use the HDR.

G9man2

Sep 18, 2020
You need a OLED TV. HDR on non-OLED TVs is irrelevant.

Then it's just Tetris Effect and enjoy the show.

Wow this is a really shortsighted comment. My 2017 Sony 930e has great Hdr.

From Rtings review

The X930E has exceptional brightness for HDR, and is brighter than any TV we tested in 2016. Local dimming helps to make small areas incredibly bright, but large areas also remain very bright. The TV maintains this high brightness for a long time. This high brightness will make highlights in HDR content very bright so they stand out from the rest of the picture.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x930e

master15

Nov 28, 2017
I am sad more people don't mention Gran Turismo Sport. For me it's the best implementation of HDR I've seen last gen. DF did a great video on its implementation-

www.youtube.com

[4K HDR] Gran Turismo Sport Analysis: HDR's Killer App!

Gran Turismo Sport is due imminently! We took a look at this week's demo and were impressed with the improvements over prior betas. Performance is improved a...

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
TCL is a budget brand so implementation probably isn't great.

That being said, I don't really notice any eyeball melting colors on my OLED like everyone seems to rave about. I'm one of those people who doesn't notice nice things unless it's side-by-side.

DreadfulOmen

Feb 6, 2018
Because people keep saying how great it is and Im not convinced. I just dont see anything? If it is so good, then why cant I see fucking shit?

I have tried re3 recently with hdr on... Played through the whole campaign... And it didnt do anything but make me recalibrate my color/brightness settings once i enabled HDR mode. (PC on 4k tv TCL series) oh and it also glitched out my desktop sometimes when alt-tabbing (colors were screwed up.) It would also refuse to alt tab a lot as well.

So maybe that game's hdr is garbo? Maybe it is my tv (TCL) or tv settings? Maybe Im fucking blind? What game would you recommend so I can see this shit?

Vex is not impressed with HDR. *Grumble grumble*

Play horizon zero dawn.
Also, what are your settings like when you watch movies? Are you a warm2 or vivid mode type of person?

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Depends on TV and game from my experience, HDR on pc is just extremely bad (in my experience, but that was on monitors with HDR 600 and stuff). HDR with my old Samsung KS7090 and GT Sport was unbelievable awesome.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I have a Sony x90H which they said is special for gaming.

How do I set up the HDR in the TV? i already did in in m XBOX1X and some games look beautiful, not sure if is due to HDR or not.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Have you got an Xbox? Tetris Effect is on Gamepass, and is the most stunning implementation of HDR I've ever seen.
Wondering what I'm doing wrong then. Tried it yesterday and enabling HDR in the game's settings actually made it look way worse, desaturated the colors and made whites look yellow...(on a Sony XH90).

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
I watched the Auto HDR video done by Digital Foundry on my iPhone 12's OLED S
screen and was blown away.

The HDR I experienced prior on my friend's TV wasn't nearly as good.

OLED is the way to go. It looks alright on non-OLED TVs though. Just richer on an OLED panel.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
What is up with people shitting on the 6 series for having bad HDR?

I think it looks fantastic on that set.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
How long do you think before the 65CX is more in the 1700 range? I could buy one but debating waiting til middle of next year.

My KS8000 HDR is really nice but the blacks have become cloudy....really want rhe OLED and I can afford it lol.

Plan on selling Some robinhood stocks julyish of next year for less taxes, depending on vaccine helping thw market or not
If you're talking the 2019 CX 65, that was recently on sale for 1850 at Best Buy. I got it price matched and also didn't have to pay tax.
Edit* link below. Seems to be 1900 now.

Cronus

Oct 31, 2017
A good HDR TV is a must to see what HDR is capable of, but some games just have bad HDR implementation and even a good TV can't help those games. I find myself switching between HDR and SDR depending on the game. God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2 are examples of games with bad HDR and I recommend playing them in SDR.

Horizon: Zero Dawn, on the other hand, is a game that looks wonderful in HDR and better than SDR.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
If you don't have consoles, and HDR on PC is not givng you good results . You can try to watch some PS5 and Xbox Series X gameplay on Youtube, that are uploaded in HDR.

I'm not sure if the Youtube app on that Roku/TCL supports HDR though.. but if you have other newer streaming devices that do, use those.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
HDR on the TCL is fine. Try spending more time with HDR games and then go back to non HDR, it may become more apparent. Good HDR doesn't mean it's going to pop like night and day difference or like you turn your TV to Vivid demo mode.

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
HDR on the TCL is fine. Try spending more time with HDR games and then go back to non HDR, it may become more apparent. Good HDR doesn't mean it's going to pop like night and day difference or like you turn your TV to Vivid demo mode.
I have a TCL Roku 4K TV 49S405 and HDR looks really dark and off I've been messing with it since yesterday, Don't know what to do anymore.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I have a TCL Roku 4K TV 49S405 and HDR looks really dark and off I've been messing with it since yesterday, Don't know what to do anymore.

What year? I know when I got my 6 series a couple years back I don't think the 4 series had HDR panels, this is what makes alot of people skeptical about HDR is their TV can decode the signal but their panel cannot display the full color range or brightness.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
It will depend a lot on your TV (and how it's calibrated) and the game you're playing. RE2/3 have poor HDR implementation, unfortunately. The blacks end up looking more grey. Proper HDR implementation is legit, though.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ac Origns, re7, hitman, ghosts of tsuchima and forza horizon 4 are really good showcases for hdr

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
For me it's probably still Gran Turismo Sport. And in general, even though I calibrated my Xbox twice, HDR somehow seems better on Playstation. I thought it was Sony's first party games (since that's all I ever play there... almost), but now that I have a Series S and Tetris Effect to compare it... it just pops more on Playstation. Maybe it's my hardware or the HDR setup works better for it there, idk. This is not a fanboy post (not even planning on getting a PS5 anytime soon), just my personal experience.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Got a C9 in June and have only played TLoU2 and a little of Horizon. I've researched settings to death. Feel like everything is configured properly and about all I could do from here is have a professional calibration done.

HDR looks great, but more like what I'd expect the game to look like, versus being some mind-blowing phenomenon. But I take this as a good thing, that I'm not looking at it like something is wrong with what is being displayed.

I think HDR is cool but it's not all it was hyped up to be IMO.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
why is this?...I hear this all the time...is something different in the HDR code on PC that makes them act differently then consoles or is it primarily a Windows issue?

I can't tell you the technical details, but I can only say that I could never get it to work properly and even got some performance loss in some games

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I never really notice a difference with HDR stuff.

Hmm do you have your input setup well for HDR? Did you try HDR setup on your console to adjust?

Not super familiar with the C9 but iirc it's a decent panel, and even testing at the title screen turning HDR on/off in the menu is a huge upgrade to the color range on the swirling particles, no HDR they are almost a flat color, with HDR I can spot a ton of different shades and brightness in them.

FREEONEUP

Jul 4, 2018
I got X90F and X95G and HDR is still meh for me... only few games looks "better" with HDR, like FH4 and... and that's all 😅
Hey! But new The Spongebob movie looks nice 😉

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017

Can't comment on 4 series but I just assume the budget lines won't be good for another few years after all these features trickle down. The 6 series OP owns is fine for HDR though.

GWX

Oct 25, 2017
My showcases for HDR so far, in no particular order:
Tetris Effect
Gran Turismo Sport
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Gears 5
Doom Eternal
Shadow of the Colossus

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
No offense to anyone that has it but on the set I saw and wanted to neck myself trying to calibrate, I thought TCL's HDR quality was lacking to put it mildly (I don't remember the model, just the pain).

I've never checked out the HDR implementation in RE3 but I'd recommend at least giving a few other good examples a shot on a better set before forming an opinion on it, most people end up walking it back afterwards.

Gears 5
Doom Eternal
Forza Horizon 4
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
GT Sport

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
why is this?...I hear this all the time...is something different in the HDR code on PC that makes them act differently then consoles or is it primarily a Windows issue?

It's mostly that there is no standard, it's like the wild west for how developers approach and implement it; some will even have HDR on console and then don't even bother because of it.

Microsoft can't force people to fall in line with one way of going about it, so one of PC's biggest strengths kind of works against it here.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm do you have your input setup well for HDR? Did you try HDR setup on your console to adjust?

Not super familiar with the C9 but iirc it's a decent panel, and even testing at the title screen turning HDR on/off in the menu is a huge upgrade to the color range on the swirling particles, no HDR they are almost a flat color, with HDR I can spot a ton of different shades and brightness in them.
I'm sure I've got everything set up correctly I just don't notice it much for whatever reason. I'd go test out Tetris Effect again to see if I could notice a difference on the title screen like you said but I don't have it anymore :/

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's mostly that there is no standard, it's like the wild west for how developers approach and implement it; some will even have HDR on console and then don't even bother because of it.

Microsoft can't force people to fall in line with one way of going about it, so one of PC's biggest strengths kind of works against it here.

can't Microsoft develop a DirectX type of standard for HDR on Windows?

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
After playing Horizon Zero Dawn with HDR for a while, I thought the game looked pretty mediocre by comparison with it turned off.