• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
I've also heard good things about Banner of the Maid on Switch.

It´s got an incredibly spotty localization. So spotty that it kills any kind of personality the characters have and thus pulls the whole story down.
The sexualization is really concerning also.

I see a few recommendations for Brigandine. Is it really worth it? Only heard of a couple of lukewarm experiences.
Didn´t know about Fell Seal. Looks pretty good.

May 10, 2019
Looking at the footage and it doesn't look like FFT much aside from being a tactics game. What's good about it though

Yeah, it seems to take elements of the other SRPGs but change the presentation to something more like the PC SRPG/4X Strategy hybrids, like Erador or Warlock. Both of these were originally developed first as Civilization 5 mods before they got their own engines. The new Brigandine takes after those, somewhat - at least in the combat. There's a lot more micromanagement with units though.

Really a closer comparison would be - you know the battles in Heroes of Might and Magic and the newer King's Bounty games? Imagine if were given a larger area and had more units to manage, and your units were more flexible with regards to growth (closer to most SRPGs). It might not be for people that just want an A->B Final Fantasy Tactics clone and nothing else, but I'm finding myself wanting to dig into the full game as soon as possible.

Also, since I haven't seen them suggested:

-Tactics V "Obsidian Brigade" is another one in the vein of the the traditional "grid plus elevation" SRPGs, It's been overshadowed by other games quite a bit though.
-If you're looking for something like classic X-COM/Jagged Alliance with a little more in the way of RPG elements. both Hard West and Phantom Doctrine are worth your time. Also they're frequently on deep discount so you might luck out and get both of them for under 2 bucks each.

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
I'll also recommend Into the Breach. Whilst not an RPG per se, you do level up your mechs and pilots with various skills and stat boosts that persist over multiple runs until your pilot/mech dies. The tactical gameplay is sublime.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Is Troubleshooter on Switch? I had a lot of fun with that. Not exactly a FFT game, moreso XCOM meets anime, but it has strategy/minmaxing in spades.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Mercenaries Saga/Wings is pretty good, not one of the best options but worth it if you're obsessed with the genre like I am:

iu

iu

Brigandine on Switch/PS4 is amazing:

iu

iu

iu

Here's a solid list of upcoming Turn based/Tactical RPGs:

turnbasedlovers.com

Upcoming Turn-based Strategy Tactical Rpgs 2020 - Turn Based Lovers

Our list for the most promising turn-based titles coming out for 2020. In the list, we include strategic, tactical, RPG. Learn more
Eeewwwwwww, hex based tactics.

Yes, I'm one of those people. :P

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
My favorites are Fire Emblem (GBA) and the sequel Sacred Stones. To me these games are the pinnacle of this genre. The sprite animations are beautiful, and I really like how you can favor certain units each play through and make them juggernauts. I've played most of the entries since then but haven't enjoyed them nearly as much (I dropped Three Houses after 10 hours).

Aimi

self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 16, 2021
I am gonna second Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. That game is absolutely god. The storyline is really well written and mature. The gameplay's great too, with a lot of depth and customization options.
It's a shame this game isn't anywhere near as popular as Final Fantasy Tactics, even though it's very similar and just as good.

Sep 14, 2018
I recently found this one, the battle system is really well thought out. I think it's on gamepass if you have that, also on switch and ps4.

For what it's worth it's the only roguelite I've played for more than 1-2 hours. It's turn based not spammy crap, it also seems to be inspired by Valkyrie Profile's battle system which is about the best inspiration there can be.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
I just wanted to add Invisible Inc for the PS4/Switch, it's a unique take on SRPG and can become really in-depth, especially in the highest difficulties.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
This thread reminded me how long I've been searching for the Switch physical of Divinity 2 (in Canada I have yet to find one below $150)

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Don't have anything to add except commending people here who use tactical instead of strategy. It's always been a pet peeve of mine.

For whatever reason, I really do not like Disgaea. It's not just the tone, though there is that too, but even mechanically. It's been long enough since I played one that I cannot clearly articulate why, but something about the gameplay is just really unsatisfying. I played through 5 on Switch when it came out because I was so desperate for a tactics game, but yuck.
Disgaea is a game where you max/max units. There is no real cap so it makes decisionmaking rather unsatisfying when you compare it to other tactical RPGs. Plus, there are some unwieldy mechanics that don't mesh well with the gameplay flow.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fire Emblem is the most accessible TRPG out there, so I recommend Three Houses on Switch. If you wanna go old school, "Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light" for the NES is available on Switch too, but for a limited time.

Don't have anything to add except commending people here who use tactical instead of strategy. It's always been a pet peeve of mine.
I really hate the other definition of the genre that calls it "Simulation RPG."

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recently found this one, the battle system is really well thought out. I think it's on gamepass if you have that, also on switch and ps4.

For what it's worth it's the only roguelite I've played for more than 1-2 hours. It's turn based not spammy crap, it also seems to be inspired by Valkyrie Profile's battle system which is about the best inspiration there can be.

Just started playing this. Didn't expect it to be a roguelite but I like the battle system so far

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can connect your dualshock 4 to your phone to play FFTactics - that is what I did with my copy of FFTactics WoL on iphone - tried it for the first time few weeks ago and was surprised.

Are you sure about this? I see nothing in the patch notes about controller support. Cursory internet searches suggest neither the android nor iOS versions natively support a controller. And I just tried it and it doesn't seem to work. It's possible there's some step I'm missing?

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Are you sure about this? I see nothing in the patch notes about controller support. Cursory internet searches suggest neither the android nor iOS versions natively support a controller. And I just tried it and it doesn't seem to work. It's possible there's some step I'm missing?

I just tested it and...you are right...I could have sworn it worked but I guess I was wrong - it works with all the other FF games I have (IV, etc)

:(

My bad.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
I've been looking for a Final Fantasy Tactics-esque game to play for a while, so when Fae Tactics came up in Giant Bomb's GOTY talks I was pretty interested.

The problem is I don't have a PC, and it seems the Switch version of that game is currently in limbo. I do have FFT on my phone but i'm just not a big fan of phone gaming.

I haven't kept up with the genre really, so are there any recommendations for some style of turn-based, isometric view tactical game in the vein of these two you might recommend, preferably for PS4/5 or Switch?
Fire emblem three houses, not much need's to be said here, it's the most popular tactical/strategy RPG series in the world right now.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I'd rather play any of the 3DS fire emblems than three houses. Go from map to map and play the fun part of the game, skip the teenage social life simulator. That was most eagerly awaited Switch game and I bounced off hard.

pastry knife

Mar 10, 2020
Okay, this is the complete opposite of FFT in terms of tone and theme, but it's a wonderful tactics game that caught everyone by surprise a few years ago! Much deeper than you might think at first glance, with skill trees, equipment, etc.

I was gonna suggest Banner of the Maid because, likewise, I've only heard positives.

It's meant to be good, right?

Banner of the Maid has excellent gameplay and the pixelart is lovely. I dig the story too. Unfortunately some of the female characters have really, really awful designs.
W7pTbhw8_0zzgSUaGG3lCN_0QpHpo_msIZmzSARfiZo59O0kxwwzn-etJ5WOT5RKuR3mliItYW-fHNeDUx7E-ormfsX-auLo6pKZb3d6BuC39Jf8viPHzSZ5RYA-DAOPCJp88aBNW296ONQewfiPYOwM3EDpJCcDeyJl4gRQZWfOb2Ob1hOYNC2iWA