• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking for a Final Fantasy Tactics-esque game to play for a while, so when Fae Tactics came up in Giant Bomb's GOTY talks I was pretty interested.

The problem is I don't have a PC, and it seems the Switch version of that game is currently in limbo. I do have FFT on my phone but i'm just not a big fan of phone gaming.

I haven't kept up with the genre really, so are there any recommendations for some style of turn-based, isometric view tactical game in the vein of these two you might recommend, preferably for PS4/5 or Switch?

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I recommend Fell seal.

It's definitely PS4 (not sure on Switch) and is as close as you can get to your request.

It's not too pricey and its also fantastic.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Weirdly the phone version is the definitive version of FFT, for what it's worth. No weird slowdown problems and it's the War of the Lions edition.

As to games on console, can't go wrong with Divinity: Original Sin 2. It's an unsurpassed turn-based RPG, one of the best ever. Haven't played the console versions myself but I also haven't heard any terrible things about them (which is what disqualifies my other rec, XCOM 2's console versions).

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a psp or vita then you definitely need to try Tactics Ogre since it's very similar to FFT.

Fire Emblem and Front Mission are also great series for tactical rpgs.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, as others have said, Fell Seal on Switch is great.

I love The Banner Saga Trilogy too, but that's not quite the same style as FFT.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The classic Shining Force games are pretty timeless. Pretty simple, but that is part of why people find them so enjoyable. You can get them on just about any Genesis/Mega Drive collection out there for pennies probably. Also free to play on mobile devices.

Have not played it yet, but Into The Breach looks fantastic.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
The classic Shining Force games are pretty timeless. Pretty simple, but that is part of why people find them so enjoyable. You can get them on just about any Genesis/Mega Drive collection out there for pennies probably. Also free to play on mobile devices.
Yes, the Shining force games are among the best srpgs out there. Get them on any console with the sega mega drive collections.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
The demo seemed much more complicated and deeper than FFT, but BRIGANDINE The Legend of Runersia seemed pretty awesome.

Waiting for some free time to pick it up and play, but the demo definitely scratched that tactical itch.

Also heard good things about Othercide. Though I think that game is a bit different compared to typical tactics games.

Both available on the PS4/5.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's not too many games on switch that model the tactical experience you get from FFT. The only one I can recommend is Fell Seal. It's pretty much a FFT fan game

Mar 11, 2020
Not exactly the same but you could look into Super Robot Wars games, they are STUPID long. They are tactics games but do side a bit on the easier side but are super fun if you are into robot anime too. You can get the English Asia versions by import physical or get some cards online for digital

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if the Arc the Lad collection is available and working on PS4...?

It's very straight forward and doesn't offer as deep customization as Final Fantasy Tactics, but I really enjoyed my run through this. The first one is especially simple (and short) but the second ramps up with more options, a much better story and a fun cast and crew. Take a look!

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
It isn't the same style as FFT, but there are few better tactical RPGs than Divinity: Original Sin 2. And the Switch port is solid from my understanding.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017

It's very straight forward and doesn't offer as deep customization as Final Fantasy Tactics, but I really enjoyed my run through this. The first one is especially simple (and short) but the second ramps up with more options, a much better story and a fun cast and crew. Take a look!
Pretty sure they're only on PS3?

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
It's not RPG, but you might like Into the Breach on Switch. It's a tactical strategy game with visuals and gameplay loop you might be into.

jTEaMDtWu7gXQDz5Wq7MLd-970-80.jpg

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Mercenaries Saga/Wings is pretty good, not one of the best options but worth it if you're obsessed with the genre like I am:

iu

iu

Brigandine on Switch/PS4 is amazing:

iu

iu

iu

Here's a solid list of upcoming Turn based/Tactical RPGs:

turnbasedlovers.com

Upcoming Turn-based Strategy Tactical Rpgs 2020 - Turn Based Lovers

Our list for the most promising turn-based titles coming out for 2020. In the list, we include strategic, tactical, RPG. Learn more

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've been looking for a Final Fantasy Tactics-esque game to play for a while, so when Fae Tactics came up in Giant Bomb's GOTY talks I was pretty interested.

The problem is I don't have a PC, and it seems the Switch version of that game is currently in limbo. I do have FFT on my phone but i'm just not a big fan of phone gaming.

I haven't kept up with the genre really, so are there any recommendations for some style of turn-based, isometric view tactical game in the vein of these two you might recommend, preferably for PS4/5 or Switch?
The two closest things on Switch (and presumably PS4) in terms of isometric TBS are Fell Seal and God Wars: Future Past

I agree with comments above that the Mercenaries games are pretty mediocre- they look the part but have little depth.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
There's always the Disgaea games, they're pretty fun mechanically but tonally they're pretty much at the opposite end of the scale from FFT

CronoHD

Oct 28, 2017
Surprisingly nobody mention Othercide...it's a hidden gen of TRPG. Also you should check Valkyria chronicles 1, 4 and x-com2

Jagernaut

Oct 27, 2017
I recommend Fell seal.

It's definitely PS4 (not sure on Switch) and is as close as you can get to your request.

It's not too pricey and its also fantastic.

This is the first time I've heard of this game even though I am a fan of FFT. There is something about the animations in that video that turn me off.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Into the Breach isnt an RPG but it will absolutely scratch your itch for tactics games, it surpasses everything else in the genre in terms of gameplay.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

The Arc the Lad games are awesome, not quite as Tactical as something like Tactics Ogre (which is the GOAT) but they are damn good.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Banner of the Maid is on Switch I believe. I've not played it myself yet but I've only heard good stuff, Disgaea as well I believe is on the Switch?

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of posts for Fell Seal in here so definitely going to give that a try. A lot of the others sound really good too, Into the Breach especially, so maybe I can get a decent backlog going.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I bought God Wars last year on deep sale. It was good for what it was, very standard, decent story and some really fun names. Been meaning to clear up the platinum but there's some really tedious stuff to do that requires using a guide or losing grip of your sanity, and neither appeals.

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Some good suggestions in here, picked up Fell Seal based on multiple recommendations.

For whatever reason, I really do not like Disgaea. It's not just the tone, though there is that too, but even mechanically. It's been long enough since I played one that I cannot clearly articulate why, but something about the gameplay is just really unsatisfying. I played through 5 on Switch when it came out because I was so desperate for a tactics game, but yuck.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
You can connect your dualshock 4 to your phone to play FFTactics - that is what I did with my copy of FFTactics WoL on iphone - tried it for the first time few weeks ago and was surprised.

I would recommend also the Disgaea games.

Disgaea 4 and 5 are on both PS4 and Switch.

Disgaea 1 and 2 are on PC - and you dont need a beefed up PC for that. (Also Disgaea 4 and 5 are also on PC too).

Phantom Brave is on PC (from the same devs from Disgaea).

Edit: Forgot about Disgaea 1 complete - its on PS4 and Switch.