• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
What's the most joyous game I can get on Xbox, PS4 or Switch?

I've been playing too much Fata Morgana & I think it's made me sad :-(

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Untitled Goose Game. If you don't smile all the way throughout that game, then I dunno...

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I guess that depends on how you define it. Mario Odyssey would be my pick for Switch. It's basically pure distilled joy through and through. The colors, the music, everything.

Journey comes to mind for PS4, but it's also a little melancholic in its expression of joy.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Captain Toad's treasure tracker is a very joyful game if you haven't played it. Also very very good. I'll scream that from the rooftops.

River City Girls as well

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
Forza Horizon 4. Absolute joy and happiness every time I play it. Just plain fun, visuals are incredible.

You don't even have to be a racing fan to have fun in it. Just rip around the map and do whatever the flip you want, and just listen to some tunes on the radio station of your choice.

Any team I need to really unwind, I play FH4.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Wandersong is on all the platforms you mentioned, and is plenty joyous.
+1 for Wandersong! It's not without its darker beats, but it's an "optimism despite everything" kind of thing.

I actually went back into the new release of House in Fata Morgana pretty soon after wrapping up a Wandersong replay earlier this year so I had a bit of the reverse whiplash, lol. But definitely return to FM.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
LocoRoco, , looks great in 4k on a pro and that DAMNED THEME TUNE.

The dynamic theme will never leave my PS4, EVAH

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017

+1 for Wandersong! It's not without its darker beats, but it's an "optimism despite everything" kind of thing.

I actually went back into the new release of House in Fata Morgana pretty soon after wrapping up a Wandersong replay earlier this year so I had a bit of the reverse whiplash, lol. But definitely return to FM.

I came into this thread to mention Wandersong, so add another +1 from me!

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yoku's Island Express was probably the most joyful game I've played in a while

I also had emotional reactions to Rez Infinite and Tetris Effect in VR, but I wouldn't necessarily classify them as joyful, just really beautiful

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Thanks everybody, idk.. Wattam, Wandersong & Concrete Genie seems like my top three right now.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
If you have or can get ahold of a Wii

Kirby's Epic Yarn
ee453c5eb865afedf343213c45b87287.jpg

Just listen to this green green's rendition

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017

I came into this thread to mention Wandersong, so add another +1 from me!
So glad to see the Wandersong love in this thread. Wandersong is pretty charming and uplifting and it was one of my favorite games of 2018 so another +1 for Wandersong.

Also some other games with the same charm and feel are Yoku Island Express and Dragon Quest Builders 2(which is one of my GOTY of 2019).

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Heads up that Wandersong is on Game Pass in case you already have a sub.
I don't, thanks for the heads up tho; I was thinking of just buying it on PSN but I've been thinking about playing Wattam for so long anyway :P

Yoku's Island is getting a lot of love too.

I have DQ Builders 2 so I've be dabbling in that I like the soundtrack it's making me feel good.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
If you want some JRPG goodness, Tokyo Mirage Sessions or any of the Atelier games would be decently lighthearted picks.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
Spyro trilogy is joyful and relaxing, though a little too easy and boring at the same time.

TheLoCoRaven

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
This might say more about me but I just took a break from more serious games to play Shakedown Hawaii.

love the real life scams it points out and overall humor of it, even if it's a gta 1/2 kinda game.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Tearaway!

All of the papercraft is so friggin adorable and the soundtrack is jaunty. Plus, narrators with calming British accents.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
If you have PSVR the answer is Astro Bot.

I vote this one, definitely gave me the most joyfeels & cuteness overload of anything this gen.

Sonic Mania, Stardew Valley, Spyro and Mario Odyssey aren't bad in this way either. More than Dragon Quest 11, Dragon Quest Builders 2 gives even more joys (even though it has darkness too).