• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I haven't been in the cable market for a while but Monoprice is where I always thought the cheap cables were. No idea about their quality though, expecially when you need those specs.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
That's likely a very long run for something like that. Are you sure you won't need a repeater of some sort to make it that far?

Edit: Oh, the cable is fiber optic. Yeah, something like won't be cheap.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
It really isn't recommended to go longer than a couple meters on DP cables - 40 feet is going to be real problematic unless you get a signal repeater, but even then you're looking at $$$

Gamer4life

Dec 6, 2017
Specifically, I need one that supports 1440p resolution at 144hz.

This seems the best one.

but it's $100. Is there a better option?
That is the best option. Fiber optic can handle the distance but that means each end of the cable has a light transmitter in it hence the the cost. Never have to worry about interference.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
There may also be issues with signal integrity. I had issues recently when setting up my 'home office' with a KVM switch. Using a 6 ft. DP cable, I had reliability issues where video signal gets lost when switching from one PC to another. Purchasing a shorter 3ft. cable from the same brand solved this issue for me.

Perhaps the issue was more pronounced when using a KVM switch, but the point stands that signal strength/integrity degrades with cable length.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Specifically, I need one that supports 1440p resolution at 144hz.

This seems the best one.

but it's $100. Is there a better option?

You can get better deals on fiber optic cables on AliExpress if you are willing to put up with slow shipping. Quick search shows 15-meter cables going for about $65.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use that cable with my Valve Index, It works perfectly. At 40 ft, Fiber is really the only way to go.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
The Displayport spec only allows for 2 meter long traditional copper cables. Its going to be expensive fiber optic cables like the one already recommended or bust.

OP
OP
Veelk

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
You can get better deals on fiber optic cables on AliExpress if you are willing to put up with slow shipping. Quick search shows 15-meter cables going for about $65.
I can, I think. My main question is can I be relatively sure of the quality? I'm pretty new to everything here since this is my first monitor with displayport cables but I want to make sure that it works at 1440p and 144hz.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure you're going to need a repeater and several cable sections (rather than one continuous cable) if you're connecting something that far, just a heads up. I've seen connection integrity issues at those lengths, even via fiber-optic. I can't explain why, but it happens.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I can, I think. My main question is can I be relatively sure of the quality? I'm pretty new to everything here since this is my first monitor with displayport cables but I want to make sure that it works at 1440p and 144hz.

The cables on AliExpress are probably made in the same factory as the $100 one on Amazon. The premium you pay going with Amazon gets you faster shipping and easier returns. So you will have to weigh whether that is worth the difference to you.