• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
The short list:
  • You get 5% Gold Coins from Nintendo.
  • It's more convenient.
  • The game itself is best played in multiple, short splurges.
  • Because of above, having to switch game cartridges would be a hassle when you have other games to play.
  • You can do all of the activities in one long session, but you're just delaying the hassle of switching game cartridges.
  • Add to your OP that buying digital means you can share the game with a partner which is the best way to play :D

The long description:

Per online comments and user feedback on many articles, the recommended method of playing Animal Crossing is by playing in small doses. The gameplay itself is very loose and open-ended, so you have many different objectives you can do while taking your own time.

Because of this, if you play the game in small bites, it would mean you would be frequently accessing the game on the Switch. Do a favor, and buy the digital Nintendo eShop version of Animal Crossing: New Horizons, so that you don't get any inconveniences of having to switch out your last played game out of the Switch, and then find yourself coming back to playing it after a quick session in Animal Crossing.

Do you agree or disagree with my recommendation?

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
You literally have no reason on why you should convince people to get it digitally or physically cause it doesn't effect you.

But no duh I'm going digital.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also in the UK you can get first party eshop Nintendo games from ShopTo for £40 which is significantly below the eshop price. I wouldn't be surprised if there were equivalents in the US.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Counterpoint: the physical version will hold some sort of value for literally decades because Nintendo.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the physical version of New Leaf and am definitely going digital since I got tired of swapping carts everyday like you said.

Nov 4, 2017
You mean the game that can involve hundreds of hours of playtime, but I can't backup my save at all, despite paying AU$30 a year for a cloud save feature?

Yeah, nah, I might give this game a miss.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I buy all of my retail Switch games physical but I am 100% getting Animal Crossing digital.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
You never have to convince me. I hate clutter and stuff. Why would I want a whole wall full of old game boxes?? Gross. Plus, arguably, if you care about the planet at all, digital is greener.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Nah, Nintendo games can be sold years down the line and still have solid value. I ain't playing that game more than 6 month.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I'm always genuinely surprised by how painful some people find the act of switching cartridges/discs.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
471.jpg

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
This is a fair argument.

It's like Smash as well, lends itself well to even 5 minute sessions to just squeeze a quick game in to satisfy your craving; at least for me I've done that a lot.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yeah I made the mistake of buying the 3DS one physical - I didn't trust the 3DS account system, I still don't really.
This time it'll be digital. I won't ever resell an Animal Crossing game.

But some people will resell, and Nintendo first party games should fetch a good price even secondhand.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
No, 48 at BB with GCU or 50 at Walmart, this is a bad faith thread.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Sorry, If I'm buying a game it physical.
Sadly I'm not getting this one. Not yet at least, so far I'm not even remotely interested in the game.
Was hoping I would start to feel it as we are getting closer, but sadly not. =/

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
A digital copy will absolutely be slightly more convenient and Animal Crossing is a game well suited to take advantage of the moderate efficiency digital offers, BUT, I want the case on my shelf and its worth the minor inconvenience of having to swap cartridges every once in awhile.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I think my SO has planned to offer it to me for Christmas (well, you know, pre-order it and then I'll wait it out until March to enjoy my Christmas gift). But I think you're making sense and will probably subtly tell them to go digital instead of physical for that one!

Last edited:

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Agreed. New Leaf was one of the few 3DS retail games I bought digitally. Convenience is big with a game like this that I'll play long term and mostly in shorter bursts.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Nah, I'm getting the physical version. Buying the digital version of Nintendo first party exclusive games is throwing away money.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I've purchased all of my Switch games physically when they were available (Sonic Mania didn't have a physical release back in 2017), even Xenoblade 2: Torna. That plus the fact that i don't own a microSD card.

So yeah, I'm gonna go physical for Animal Crossing.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
You can't convince me, because I already buy everything digitally. I even have a voucher saved for it.

I was all digital back on the 3DS. Only had 2 physical games I bought w/ the system and after that just went pure digital. Including New Leaf, which was my constant companion for a year after it was released. Being able to just boot it up whenever and wherever regardless of what else I was playing at that time was a big part of that continued play.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I agree OP, it's the kind of game you keep booting up often and will keep for years until the sequel. Digital is the way.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But what if this happens, you'd never be able to play it without buying it again

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going physical if I do get it because Animal Crossing is always a series that I have fun with, but eventually get sick of.

New Leaf was the only one I really got into, and it basically spend 1-2 hours every day playing it. Right when I get up to harvest and sell fruit, then later in the day to fish, collect bugs, check shops, etc.
Then I got tired of it and stopped. Never felt the urge to go back to the town or check in on it.

John64

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I will buy digital to play and physical to not open so I can auction it off in 2045!

AR Starts

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately regardless of which version you buy your save is stuck on a physical Nintendo unit vs being in the cloud. This needs to be changed for AC, Splatoon, and Pokemon ASAP. Its unacceptable in 2019.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
I was going digital anyway and for the exact reasons you listed. Hoping to use part of my voucher for it.