• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which FF title should I play?

• VIII

Votes: 177 12.3%
  • IX

Votes: 578 40.3%
  • X

Votes: 452 31.5%
  • XII

Votes: 229 15.9%

• Total voters

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
12 is the best of these options (and the best PS2 game in general imo) but 10 is my next favorite of these. 8 and 9 are so dated from a tech standpoint that I find them difficult to replay. I played through 10 three times back in the day which is something almost unfathomable to me.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
IX and XII are awesome, characters, visuals battle system are top FF, i haven't played X but it should be good you can skip VIII its quite shitty they messed up some things especially the battle systems

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
X = IX > VIII > XII

This really isn't the best period of FF games (and I consider XII to be one of the worst), but they're all really unique.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, IX it's the only one I can recommend. Maybe give a few hours to X and if you like it, play it.

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
IX is easliy the best of those options, doubly so if characters and story are the most important considerations for you.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
I never got the love for 9. I went through it in its entirety but never felt I was enjoying it as much as I did 7 or 8. Maybe it was the setting, never really liked it.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
9 regardless, but if story and characters are your thing then definitely 9.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Play VIII and IX. Both are excellent games. Skip X and XII or play them if you are really, REALLY bored.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm i'd probably go IX > X > VIII > XII

8 and 12 would probably be higher but the game play for both just ruins them for me. 8 probably has my favorite world/story in a FF game. But the junction system is just too broken and kills the experience for me. 12 is also similar in that I love everything about it except the combat. It's just way to passive for my taste. Overall 9 is probably the most consistent in terms of game play, plot, world etc... X has a great combat system and cast, but probably has my least favorite world/story/level design of the 4.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
XII is really enjoyable with the 2x-4x speed modifier that the remasters have.

Honestly VIII might not be too bad if they have the same options that VII has. Like auto health, no encounters and speed options. The story wasn't too bad for VIII but the combat/exp system was so annoying. The remaster options should null that tho if it has them.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rank them FFVIII > FFX > FFXII > FFIX

The battle system in FFIX is a chore without fast forward (the worst of the post FF6 games) and the story is forgettable after the strong intro.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
I had never played a Final Fantasy game, but I bought VII on the Switch this week after all of the remake excitement. I am 12 hours in and really enjoying it. I am going to go back and play VI afterwards (I have an SNES classic), but this thread has been illuminating for the other PS1/PS2 games. In particular, it seems like XII is much more highly regarded than I thought.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
IX, VIII, XII, X.

Eight is best but bizaro, IX has the best atmosphere, X is a dumpster fire and XII at least attempts to salvage that monstrosity before it.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
10 and 9, 12 is too different from the ff games and I'd rather reccomend the better ivalice game (Tactics) over 12. FF8 despite me loving it and it being my first FF... I cant recommend it. 10 is my favorite of that list. FF9 would be better if they didnt have characters that are fucking useless to the plot after the first disk, shouldn't be in your team, I've felt ff9 is a love song to nostalgia for older fans that didnt enjoy the futuristic way 7 and 8 took things. Note it's still a fun game and I recomend it above 8 and 12. But personally I just have some gripes with it.
Oh, and FFX is just a fun game, voice acting isnt wholy bad (except some minor characters ... and Yuna)

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
OP clearly states characters/story come first, so these XII recommendations are puzzling to me lol

Start with X, then IX, then VIII.
XII has amazing voice acting and fun cutscenes (the CG ones) and a charming world. Its not perfect but op can still enjoy it with the cool battle systems.
I would rather take XII than the mess that was XIII or XV

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Based on your OP, a coin flip between IX and X.

Personally: I couldn't choose between IX, X, and XII. I pretty much love them all equally. X would be my favorite if I had to pick.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
FFX if you like FF7 Remake. FF9 and FF12 if you like FF14.

I personally would do FF12 and FF9 because I prefer "Ito/Minagawa/Akiyama/Matsuno" FF to "Kitase/Nomura/Toriyama/Nojima" FF lol

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If characters and story is the most important thing for you then go for IX or X. But any of them are amazing games anyway.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'd most strongly recommend IX and XII.

IX is the creator of Final Fantasy's favorite. It will provide the best encapsulation and celebration of Final Fantasy as a series -- an equal parts wacky, dramatic, and emotional journey through a storybook world. Its characters are utterly charming, and each one's storyline grapples with its own themes, as well as tying into the game's overarching theme of coming to terms with mortality.

XII is the sole mainline entry directed by Matsuno, which will be quite meaningful to you if you've played any of his games (Final Fantasy Tactics; Tactics Ogre; Ogre Battle; Vagrant Story; Crimson Shroud). It's arguably the most mature entry of the series, employing British theater actors for VA to match the classical tone of its script and localization. It's a political story that's less a character-driven ensemble than previous entries, but delves deeply into themes of war, how it affects both those in power and those without it, and how the former need to listen to the latter. Gameplay-wise, it was hugely ahead of its time with its Gambit system, allowing the player to customize the AI of their party as much or as little as they desired.

X -- let me start by saying I would only personally recommend the PC version, because it is the only version with quality of life features such as fastforward and encounter toggling, in a game that sorely needs them. That caveat out of the way, it's Square's first take at a more linear, cinematic, voiced experience. The characters and story are mostly quite good, and it's worth experiencing, even if that linearity and lack of overworld map detracted from the overall worldbuilding and hitherto "Final Fantasy" feel.

VIII I would flat-out not recommend. It's a mess of a game on every level. Characters are largely bad, story is nonsensical (all the mindfuck of VII with none of the themes, character depth, thought, or payoff), and the combat system is poorly-explained and just broken all around (and not in a way that I personally find enjoyable).

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I think they all deserve a shot. I'd probably rate VIII and XII about equal, and have those at the top, then X, then IX.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Well, hum.

All of them really. They're all very good.

But IX is one of the best games ever made so that. Play the og PS1 version if you can.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
12 would probably be the least jarring to play in 2020.

FF9 is the best overall game of those four.

8 and 10 have their charm but a lot of polarizing aspects.

Try them all? 🤷‍♂️

Jun 11, 2019
IX's really good and I think VIII deserves at least one playthrough just cause I thought it was charmingly batshit

Haven't played X or XII so can't really say much there.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just go in order they're all worth experiencing imo. If I had to pick though...

IX
XII
X
VIII

In that order. IX has one of my favorite FF stories in the main line games. XII has one of the best realized worlds in an FF game, and also some of the best writing even if the story doesn't always live up to the promise.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
There is no one essential game out of those, completely depends on your taste. They're all pretty different aesthetically so maybe watch a few youtube vids and see which one appeals most

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
For me it was 9 and then 8. Didn't really liked 10 and 12. I should try to replay it now...I think FF10, i can like it now

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
IX is top-tier Final Fantasy
VIII is flawed but I think it's really good overall. Fairly unique game too.
X is...okay. For me it's the game where it went wrong.
XII is great but is doesn't feel like Final Fantasy at all.

Wheatly

Nov 18, 2017
X is probably right up your alley if you liked FF7R

IX is my personal favorite of the bunch

XII only if you like the idea of playing an offline mmo (fetch quest and all)

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
The answer is absolutely FFIX, the last Final Fantasy game to be wholly good without any caveats.
This (+1). FFX and XII have their fans (even XIII and XV on a smaller scale), but they all have some weak points that might annoy you a bit or a lot.

FFVI , VII and IX are FF at its best. I would also argue that FFVIII is more "essential" than anything beyond IX, since despite its faults it still present a fascinating storytelling similarly to VII.

Oct 30, 2017
VIII is weird and cool, IX is a throwback that i personally find very unappealing stylistically, X is super basic and cheesy, XII is a unique masterpiece.

since you asked!