• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
423909-ninja_gaiden___xbox.jpg

buck-bumble-n64-box-art-us.jpg

2364836-snes_supermetroid.jpg

Note: I'm talking about the labeling itself and not the actual box art. Which is why I didn't list Sega or Playstation examples as they've always kept their labeling rather reserved.

Anyways, I felt these 3 different systems get the point i'm trying to make across. With SNES you had the border with a lot of extra flair that had no rules to how it was used.
This was the case with a lot of SNES titles for the times and it really added for some unique designs and ideas on how to work around the unqiue aspects of the SNES Standard Box Labeling.

With N64, things got a bit more uniform, but it was still quite the contrast to everuthing else out at the time. A box made so that you could see the game itself, the exclusivity, and what features it offered right on the front was a unique concept perfect for window shopping. Even now I wish this format didn't go completely away, as it would save me from having to pull out my phone to check.

Lastly with the OG Xbox (the last generation I consider to have "rad" labeling), you just have this extreme edge to everything that for me is still pretty iconic. The "Only on Xbox" stamp was always a standout and the "Live - Online Enabled" banner worked well with all the components on just about any box. To this day i'm impressed that MS managed some iconic game labeling out of the gate.

Sadly that seemed to be the last system to pull it off. Everything after OG Xbox on any system seemed to go for a more reserved looked and that trend has been settling more and more as time goes on. With even labeling from the start of the gen transforming to be more "clean", which is understandable from a marketability standpoint and to get titles out of the eyes of being seen as "Just Toys". Thankfully there are folks like Limited Run Games that still manage to have some fun with their Box Labeling from time to time.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Love the Xbox labeling, especially the orange Live bar, and on the back with the color coded feature lists. Instant wave of 2000s nostalgia.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I still miss those huge boxes PC games used to come in...

Although I wouldn't go back to physical games... 95% of the time. For some games I would still like to hold their boxex close to me as I go to sleep.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
overprominence of hardware branding is obnoxious and is part of what feeds into the console war mentality which doesn't have a direct analogue in other similar industries.

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
Not even 15 posts in and people already talking about box art instead of the actual topic theme lol

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

I did always have a bit more of a soft spot for the Platinum Hits OG Xbox Range. Especially since most of those actually came in a Silver Case as well.
$_3.JPG

Sony did that later on with the the Greatest Hits packaging on PS3 and PS4, but it never quite stood out as much.
(Though at least looked more snazzy and presentable than the PS2 and PS1 versions IMO)
Metal-Gear-Solid-V-Definitive-Edition-Sony-Playstation.jpg
s-l300.jpg

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Most video game box art even now is heavily photoshopped and/or features cg anyway so not sure why more box art can't be fully illustrated or even abstract and minimalist like lots of movie posters and TV series box sets.

Last edited:

Selane

Oct 27, 2017
Man, who even signed off on that first one?

[Xbox logo] | Xbox | Only on Xbox | [another Xbox logo]

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
even as a kid i thought it was kind of tacky, mainly in regard to the "only for" nintendo inserts

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Shit, I miss when games were called "Football" or "The Ninja".

The non copyrightable audacity of it.

Also, THE MEGA CARTRIDGE.

803zw3X.jpg

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
overprominence of hardware branding is obnoxious and is part of what feeds into the console war mentality which doesn't have a direct analogue in other similar industries.

This. There's nothing endearing about having giant garish marketing for large corporations sludged all over your box. It's partially what makes displaying console games/Blu-ray so much lamer than a nice collection of books. Books put the content creator first and foremost with some (hopefully) tasteful art. Video game boxes smear "Online enabled" and "Only on Xbox" with a puke green uniform spine.

The less of this stuff the better.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
The beautiful thing about old school labeling guidelines is that it allowed box art to look like comic book covers.

To me, it was less about buying Marvel or DC, and more about buying X-Men or Batman.

And even in those cases where the box art was smaller because of the way the manufacturer framed it (see some NES cartridges) it still allowed it to "pop".

3RsHtUl.jpg

It goes without saying that there were exceptions, but I've always liked how they made systems recognizable while keeping it classy.

Last edited:

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
They are talking about the headers and stuff not the actual box art. Even though I also miss crazy hand drawn box art as well.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Y'all should've lived in PAL lands during the SNES era.

50895_front.jpg
18323_front.jpg
22454_front.jpg

301529_front.jpg
51330_front.jpg
51121_front.jpg

51113_front.jpg
51196_front.jpg
51400_front.jpg

24293_front.jpg
19729_front.jpg
51264_front.jpg

48250_front.jpg
51300_front.jpg
51318_front.jpg

50733_front.jpg
22404_front.jpg
51014_front.jpg

51177_front.jpg
15237_front.jpg
lufia_front6njbk.jpg

51160_front.jpg
50775_front.jpg
51402_front.jpg

11322_front.jpg
50619_front.jpg
50641_front.jpg

50870_front.jpg
51253_front.jpg
25449_front.jpg

22611_front.jpg
50590_front.jpg
22504_front.jpg

29428_front.jpg
6309_front.jpg
43359_front.jpg

44723_front.jpg
22584_front.jpg
51465_front.jpg

20848_front.jpg
43359_front.jpg
20558_front.jpg

22494_front.jpg
21288_front.jpg
50492_front.jpg

35743_front.jpg
15677_front.jpg
50951_front.jpg

20775_front.jpg
44596_front.jpg
50752_front.jpg

17425_front.jpg
19729_front.jpg
44581_front.jpg

It was a wild rainbow, often with differences between countries (ironically, most first party borders were black in Germany and various colors in other countries, but also sometimes not). Of course there were also a lot of black borders. It could really be anything. Noteworthy was that Konami releases of the teen-friendly action variety (TMNT, Contra, Castlevania) were always framed in silver borders during the earlier years ...which then changed for some reason. Bonus trivia: PALCOM Software (get it...PAL ...COMPANY?) was Konami's EU/PAL-region version of ULTRA Software Corp in the US. Capcom had essentially no actual presence in Europe (huuuhh that sounds familiar these days) and always relied on smaller regional company to distribute for them, hence the default black boxes for almost all of their titles outside of the Street Fighters (distributed by Bandai and Nintendo), Disney titles (distributed by Nintendo) and some one-offs put out through Bandai. Then again, these distributors also often varied by country, along with the colors.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I don't miss the labels but I do miss the varied box design. Now everything comes in DVD-style cases. I wish Nintendo kept the DS/3DS style cases for the Switch.