• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah I was really surprised that some stuff on Dreams really has this old school CG look to it. I can still vividly remember how I was wondering if games would really look like this in real time sometime in the future... welp I guess the future is here and I could not have imagined that games would look even better than this. :)

OP
OP
PeakPointMatrix
Oct 25, 2017
I find myself posting this video quite a bit.

I loved Syndicate when it first came out, and simply being able to rotate the camera was such a great improvement when Syndicate Wars came out lol (I still think I might prefer the first game, though).

I knew this brand of old CG felt familiar, and low and behold it's from Bullfrog, the dev behind Theme Park and it's weirdly unsettling CG cutscenes for the park sequences. The game over "suicide" cutscene at 9:10 creeped the fuck out of me as a kid.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017

b9d28c348106e596d33584329bf4ada94528c5ae.pnj

D-did they put a hair/fur shader on Diglett? 0_0

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017

That was my only quibble with FFVII's FMVs even on release: they were so damned inconsistent. I'm convinced they were going to use the chibi models to integrate with the rest of the game better then somewhere during production swapped to also using higher res versions of the battle models and never went back and changed them. Or the reverse happened and they started with the better models and had to do quick finishes with the chibis.

My contribution is pretty much the SFEX+A endings, starting with Zangief because it's silly:

saying to look the rest up on YouTube

then finishing with Evil Ryu because it's a different kind of silly:

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017

Like how his best buddy Dinofly is electrocuted in the happy intro.

(Screw BG&E 2, give me LBA3)

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
The original Tomb Raider is a classic for me.

Special shout out to 0:55 for the combination of:

• Chunky models
  • Chunky voice acting
  • Chunky laptop

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
This one of the many charms of Dreams while there is plenty of high end art alot of the more ametuer stuff comes off as Nostalgic 90s cgi and the alot of games feel like something from a 90s ps1 demo disc.

Dream surfing is a mix of pure awe with a touch of old school 90s Nostalgia.
In the same way as cgi in the 90s the Dreamerverse has become the wild west of game development.

OP
OP
PeakPointMatrix
Oct 25, 2017
This one of the many charms of Dreams while there is plenty of high end art alot of the more ametuer stuff comes off as Nostalgic 90s cgi and the alot of games feel like something from a 90s ps1 demo disc.

Dream surfing is a mix of pure awe with a touch of old school 90s Nostalgia.
In the same way as cgi in the 90s the Dreamerverse has become the wild west of game development.
This post (and the others) just pushed me over the edge on Dreams.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017

The Sega Saturn sure was home to some pretty awkward CG. Seeing the True Motion and Duck Corporation logos always prepares me for a good time.

I remember in 1996 my elder brother talking about how the 'Ultra 64' would have real-time graphics like this.

Oct 26, 2017
Keiji Kinebuchi was a god. It wasn't just 3D renditions, but how abstract and stylized they were. The current stuff is so bland in comparison. He felt super creative. Shame he left after Aquapolis. :( I wonder what he's been up to. I always wondered if he joined 5ban Graphics as Heliolisk here looks suspiciously his style:

HelioliskFlashfire37.jpg

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Ah, another thread, another opportunity to show F-Zero GX off.
For peak early 2000s Sega weirdness, skip to 14:20.

Kinda on topic, but my favorite deas aesthetic is early to mid 90s pre rendered CG, ala Mario RPG and DK.

OP
OP
PeakPointMatrix
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, another thread, another opportunity to show F-Zero GX off.
For peak early 2000s Sega weirdness, skip to 14:20.

Kinda on topic, but my favorite deas aesthetic is early to mid 90s pre rendered CG, ala Mario RPG and DK.

What in the mother of fuck?

This is F-Zero right?

The high-speed sci-fi racing game?

Wow, I really had it painted wrong all these years. That's quite the personality in there, awesome.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Red Alert having this trailer. I never ended up playing the game, but I often watched it being tremendously impressed.

Thanks for posting this. I was in the same boat, this blew my freaking mind back in the day. I remember going through the lands of lore trailer frame by frame and literally saying to myself, "it can't get better than this."

(In some ways, it never did.)

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Bizzare warping and face scrunching. Hauntingly dark lighting. Unintended clunky comedy. Yeah this is nostalgia talking for sure, without a doubt it all looked terrible. But it has a weird, early-tech charm to it. Devs and studios grappling with their understanding of higher fidelity rendering and early CG is fascinating to look back on. Kind of like looking at old electronics. It was bleeding edge tech while also looking horrendous.

Yes, this is a Tekken 1/2/3 CG ending appreciation thread.

717Qp8.gif

There are so many more out there, feel free to post whatever twisted CG concoctions early 3D studios pressed onto our game discs that you still reflect fondly on.

Read the title and came here Tekken 1 Kazuya. Glad I wasn't disappointed.

looking back, I couldn't believe how incredible Tekken 2's movies were(especially compared to T1). I watched them over and over again.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I keep wondering why no indie dev has so far tried to emulate the original DKC early-pre-rendered-3D kind of look instead of the typical 8 or 16-bit handdrawn pixel art style that we see everywhere. The tech to pull it off was prohibitively expensive and slow back in those days, but the complete opposite today.

Nov 11, 2017
Thanks for posting this. I was in the same boat, this blew my freaking mind back in the day. I remember going through the lands of lore trailer frame by frame and literally saying to myself, "it can't get better than this."

(In some ways, it never did.)

That's the same way I felt about Diablo 2 back in the day. It's hard to believe that I saw this and thought we'd reached the pinnacle of graphics...

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017

This shit was so cutting edge back in the day... "if only games could look half this good someday!"

We were so naive...

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
That first zombie encounter. The way the head falls. The dodgy CG makes it all the creepier 😂

Hellfire

May 26, 2019

The Sega Saturn sure was home to some pretty awkward CG. Seeing the True Motion and Duck Corporation logos always prepares me for a good time.

I remember in 1996 my elder brother talking about how the 'Ultra 64' would have real-time graphics like this.
Saturn jank? Have you heard about the dangers of Muscle Loosening Disease or MLD?

This shit was so cutting edge back in the day... "if only games could look half this good someday!"

We were so naive...
So true.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
source.gif

Parasite Eve is a treasure and deserves the FF7R treatment. Don't @ me.

This shit terrified me for YEARS
EnragedNimbleCoelacanth-max-1mb.gif

That first zombie encounter. The way the head falls. The dodgy CG makes it all the creepier 😂

Can we admit horror games of the late 90s were EXTRA creepy for their jank?

hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_nyot4zMHjF1qd4q8ao1_400.gifv

(Juggernaut and Echo Night respectively, both PSX)

Shadow Hearts 1 Yuri looks like bad cosplay.
Untitled-45.jpg

He gets a cool kpop-level makeover in the sequel
hqdefault.jpg

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
This shit terrified me for YEARS
EnragedNimbleCoelacanth-max-1mb.gif

Can we admit horror games of the late 90s were EXTRA creepy for their jank?

hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_nyot4zMHjF1qd4q8ao1_400.gifv

(Juggernaut and Echo Night respectively, both PSX)

Shadow Hearts 1 Yuri looks like bad cosplay.
Untitled-45.jpg

He gets a cool kpop-level makeover in the sequel
hqdefault.jpg

PE is the only "horror" themed game I've ever bothered to play because I'm so easily scared. But it's so good. I love it.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Man, I haven't seen Tekken 3 endings for years. As a kid/teenager I finished the story mode for every char on a weekly basis.

Oct 29, 2017
That's the same way I felt about Diablo 2 back in the day. It's hard to believe that I saw this and thought we'd reached the pinnacle of graphics...

I always liked how Blizzard tried to push for good cinematography even when the tech wasn't up to it. Lighting choices make it, they got a lot out of silhouettes and shadows in that intro.

And yet, D2 cinematics always struck me as being a little behind of what I would have expected of Blizzard in 2000. The jump from D2 to Lord of Destruction was so massive, you think those games came four years apart.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017

The ropey animations, the silly song, the lady in the ridiculous mech suit... Perfection!

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I always liked how Blizzard tried to push for good cinematography even when the tech wasn't up to it. Lighting choices make it, they got a lot out of silhouettes and shadows in that intro.

And yet, D2 cinematics always struck me as being a little behind of what I would have expected of Blizzard in 2000. The jump from D2 to Lord of Destruction was so massive, you think those games came four years apart.

I still think D2 cinematics look pretty good, but they always struck me as like claymation. Like the movements are kinda jerky because it's missing frames or something.

Actually, I think it's just the humans. They always look so derpy lol. Mephisto and co look pretty good.