• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
You can still play them all, they're all on BlueMaxima's Flashpoint. In fact I was playing Zuma and Peggle earlier today. Totally holds up

ShotyMcFat

Oct 29, 2017
Dynomite was always my jam, would love to see it revived and not EA'd.
images

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Chuzzle the GOAT.

And Peggle 2 unironically made me lose my shit when it was announced that E3. I'd love another one.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing Zuma on my OG scrollwheel iPod, spent more time playing it than listening to music lol.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I played so much Zuma's Revenge. Bookworm to a lesser extent but both great games.

I feel like now they'd be made overly complicated in order to sell you microtransactions

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Those games looked like 4k compared to oldass cga and monochrome graphics, though latter had better artwork

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yeah I miss popcap. Those games would run on anything. They weren't expensive. They were fun.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why đź‘Ź is đź‘Ź bookđź‘Źworm đź‘Ź not đź‘Ź on đź‘Ź iphone

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
did i do that right? i swear i had bookworm on my ipod touch like ten years ago what the hell happened

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile games ruined PC Casual games, which is a shame, because I loved them.

You'd think that they could easily create a bunch of Popcap classics for Apple Arcade or something.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the PopCap games are on XBLA with backwards compatibility, fwiw. (Zuma, PvZ, Feeding Frenzy, Peggle, etc...).

I think some are in GamePass too through EA Play.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really disappointed in the state of PopCap. They used to be such a special studio.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
It's insanity that they abandoned original Peggle on iOS (and never brought it to Android).

Actually, not insanity, just greed from EA since they wanted to make way more money with Peggle Blast, the IAP filled version.

It appeared on Android, but was an Amazon exclusive. Then delisted because Peggle Blast.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Man, remember the absolute shit show/storm that was the Plants vs Zombies 2 launching with timers and microtransactions etc.?

I still can't believe how good the first one was and how they completely fucked it up with the second.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
It appeared on Android, but was an Amazon exclusive. Then delisted because Peggle Blast.
Oh yeah, I forgot Pop Cap did that Amazon app store exclusivity back in the day, but I had no idea that Peggle was a part of that too.

I remember hating that PvZ 1 lacked some features from the PC and iOS version because it took them so long to update the Amazon version.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I'll never forget the day my 3 disc changer broke and I couldn't listen to my Weird Al CDs.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah. I feel this a lot. The Steam collection of Popcap games is as close as we get now.

What's crazy is play Plants vs Zombies 1.

I dare you. Open up PvZ, start fresh, from a new save and play it.

I guarantee you, you'll be SHOCKED at how there's no banner ads, no popups, no in-app purchases. When you lose a level, you TRY AGAIN instead of being offered to buy a key. There's no 'hard currency' you have to earn or buy. There's no daily reward calendar to keep you coming back.

It's nuts how many things we've let become normal in casual games now.

Edit: Also, there's nothing wrong with cloning games like this. If we didn't clone games, we'd never have new games beyond Pong. The entire INDUSTRY is built off of trying to do similar things to what people did before. Hell, Bungie was founded off of their Mac rip-off of Doom.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
Vaporwave captures an aesthetic which expresses nostalgia for the 80s/90s.

We need a word /genre which encapsulates the 2000s cheapo popcap games which we will be nostalgic for in 10yrs.

This is that "100,000 games in 1" type shit yeayeaye

EDIT: casualcore or smthng like that

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I feel this a lot. The Steam collection of Popcap games is as close as we get now.

What's crazy is play Plants vs Zombies 1.

I dare you. Open up PvZ, start fresh, from a new save and play it.

I guarantee you, you'll be SHOCKED at how there's no banner ads, no popups, no in-app purchases. When you lose a level, you TRY AGAIN instead of being offered to buy a key. There's no 'hard currency' you have to earn or buy. There's no daily reward calendar to keep you coming back.

It's nuts how many things we've let become normal in casual games now.

Edit: Also, there's nothing wrong with cloning games like this. If we didn't clone games, we'd never have new games beyond Pong. The entire INDUSTRY is built off of trying to do similar things to what people did before. Hell, Bungie was founded off of their Mac rip-off of Doom.

People were more willing to pay money to buy these games back then. When you look at mobile games now how often do you overlook all the games that come with a cost? It's race to the bottom, basically.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
If the pandemic wasn't a thing I'd tell you to go to some hole in the wall bar and see if they have a bar top touch game machine. All those games ended up on those things. They're great and you can drink.

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
I was mostly into Pizza Frenzy, Zuma and Peggle.. didn't need microtransaction systems to play these for days.

Pizza_Frenzy_-_PopCap_Games.jpg

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I remember playing the Cartoon Network and Disney flash games on the family Dell every morning before school.

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
Surprised no one posted this.

While I was studying at DigiPen in Redmond, WA, one of my artist teachers worked at PopCap. He talked a lot about his job and how he loved it. He left PopCap few year later for some reason, didn't get a chance to ask. Seems after EA bought PopCap, things started to go downhill.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I'm only 25, and I feel this in my soul.

I didn't think dogs could be that old.

Sep 29, 2020
Popcap games were the epitome of B grade children's cartoon design. Everything has this designed by the book, no personality style.

No I do not miss it.

I do love Peggle though.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, Bookworm was my SHIT back in the day, I spent so much time on that game.

Vaporwave captures an aesthetic which expresses nostalgia for the 80s/90s.

We need a word /genre which encapsulates the 2000s cheapo popcap games which we will be nostalgic for in 10yrs.

This is that "100,000 games in 1" type shit yeayeaye

EDIT: casualcore or smthng like that

I'd like to propose Shockwave.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I should reinstall Peggle on Steam, an old friend and I played the hell out of that a decade ago.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
What I would give for an authentic peggle experience like in those first years of the App Store...

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I desperately need a Peggle 3. And a new Zuma.

Peggle XBLA's ranked Peg Party multiplayer mode was like crack. Was so addicted to that. Servers have been turned off now though, just a fragment of history :(

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I don't get why Peggle and Zuma aren't on every modern console. Easy money, surely. My wife was addicted to Zuma on Xbox 360

Saks for ost

Oct 27, 2017
Oslo
Still playing Peggle, 2 player hotseat, random map, random guide(cuz horse OP), honor agreement: you cant shoot directly at the last red peggle. Those are the rules, amen.

Peggle 2 is shit btw, avoid. I kinda pretend i does not exist.