• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
you know that feel, right?

playing simple, addictive games on a Dell computer you got for school (but instead would use to play PopCap games and Runescape)

ZjI2OTVhZjc2NzRlZTdiMDgwZmM3OGE4ZGI4NDIzNDdklwCMBGtO0wRVm_i6xhZ2aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNzU5NjRhNzQ0Nzk1ZTRjZGFlZGU0MmRiOTA3NmU5NzY0Y2UwZjk1NTcwM2JjN2JhYmYxNzRjMzIwYmRkNWJiYS5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

bejeweleddeluxe.jpg

0000000549.1920x1080.jpg

bookworm-deluxe_1_big.jpg

zuma-PopCap%20Games%20ZUMA%20DELUXE%2002.jpg

you'd walk into a kmart and look around the electronics department, wondering how the hell multi-disc stereos worked

c1b73e6da61623e90.JPG

(THREE discs??!?)

looking at games and playing the demo PS2 (ooo, Frequency demo), and you'd see a long row of PC games

bright, popping red accents letting you know it's PopCap, and that it's also not very expensive

new_original_plants_vs_zombies_pvz_pc_disc_1549163502_a22728bb0_progressive

boom, plop down a 5ver or 10 note and you've got a game you could play for hundreds of hours

s-l640.jpg

luckily you can still find that same sort of satisfaction on mobile if you find the games that fit you just right, but there was sommit about that early aughts feel

im old

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
No, I don't know that feel. Either I bought "real" games or played the stock games that came on Windows.

maxresdefault.jpg

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
that top down car parking puzzle game i used to play on my old desktop on some flash game site was one of the goats imo

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
It's insanity that they abandoned original Peggle on iOS (and never brought it to Android).

Actually, not insanity, just greed from EA since they wanted to make way more money with Peggle Blast, the IAP filled version.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
ea play on game pass has allowed me to relive this popcap feel and i can say with certainty that life is darker with it being gone from my world

that said so many of them are still perfect at least it's easy to dip back into that brief glimmering moment of joy. PvZ1 will never age

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Bejeweled and Peggle were the most addicting games in existence

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I remember going to Popcaps site daily because they had flash versions of a bunch of their games I could kill time on at work. Then one day I went on there and they stealth released Peggle Nights.

I remember buying it the second I got home from work and posting about it excitingly and getting met with "you mean I have to buy it somewhere other than Steam? Fuck that!"

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Peggle is so much fun. Same it got mobiled. Same with PvsZ.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Waaaaaay back in the like the late 90s/early 2000s, I had a CD that came with a box of Cap'n Crunch where you made a Crunchling character and played games. Think it was called Crunchling Adventure? For a cheap little cereal box game, I played a lot of it for some reason.

Not quite the same thing (close, though), but man, I also used to love JumpStart games. There was one my classroom had with a robot that was a lot of fun, and I used to love either the kindergarten one or the 1st grade one with the little dachshund guy that had a cooking game to teach fractions. There was some other game my school had that involved getting parts to upgrade a car or something, and you got parts by answering questions right. I have no idea what it was called and it haunts me to this day trying to remember the name lol.

EDIT: Ohhhh, PopCap games are a specific thing, oops. I thought it was shorthand for simple PC games lmao ignore me

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Good thread OP. I have to comment on that pic of that Aiwa stereo.....damn that brings back Sega Saturn/N64/PS2 days for me. I had these systems hooked up to the AUX L/R and got my first taste of a booming sound system while gaming. Pure bliss.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
that top down car parking puzzle game i used to play on my old desktop on some flash game site was one of the goats imo

Yes!! Its was like candystand.com or something got me through college loved the parking games but too much of my college life and I wholly mean too much of it was spent playing Roberto Baggios Magical Kicks.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
i was more into feeding frenzy 2
I remember playing Feeding Frenzy on RealArcade, a service that let you try a timed free trial of a full game before you buy it. The fun part was the as long as the game is running, you can play past the time limit. I completed Feeding Frenzy in one sitting before shutting the game off. It was super easy but super fun. The Killer Whale was the top of the food chain!

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Bejeweled, remember the Collapse! series? They made a ton of these games.

1.jpg

If you wanted a mindless mobile tapping game before mobile games were a thing, this was it.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
25 million views, heck yeah

Plants vs Zombies Music Video - YouTube

Speaking of Bejeweled, remember the Collapse! series? They made a ton of these games.

1.jpg

If you wanted a mindless mobile tapping game before mobile games were a thing, this was it.
apparently the company that made that are still around today, they merged with RealArcade and now they have some sort of game subscription company

they also make their own "story" mobile games that are popular now, but with more puzzle elements

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Has there ever been any public comments about what happened to the studio? They seemed to be such a leader in casual and mobile games in those early iPhone era and then just nothing. Did EA drive them into the ground?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Has there ever been any public comments about what happened to the studio? They seemed to be such a leader in casual and mobile games in those early iPhone era and then just nothing. Did EA drive them into the ground?
seems like peggle 2 was their last chance at replicating their old stuff and after that didn't set the world on fire they're mostly a mobile outfit

i'm not too sure if popcap proper is still responsible for the PvZ shooters or if those teams got folded in elsewhere

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
The casual and mobile market completely changed. I mean that type of company would struggle to exist in the existing market outside of Apple Arcade or some premium sort of casual service rather than the f2p casual market that exists now.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017

Victim of its own success- https://kotaku.com/from-bejeweled-to-plants-vs-zombies-how-popcap-got-jus-1844338169

From the article-
After the sale (to EA), all the people I spoke to gradually moved on. Some stayed for months, some a couple of years, but all found it just wasn't a place they wanted to be anymore. Anthony Coleman put it neatly. "We were less and less interested in making what we were told we had to make at that point, which was mobile free-to-play. Then there were more restrictions, because it needed to be the biggest audience possible. And we had other ideas for games we wanted to try, and we knew we'd never be able to make them here. It was time to just move on."

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Peggle and Zuma are some of the most addictive games ever. Love them to death.

Pogo Pool as well I wasted thousands of hours at work playing pool.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
No love for Insaniquarium. *shakes head*
qz33K5c.jpg
Jesus that's a game I haven't even thought about in over 10 years

On a related note, does anyone know this one Popcap game that was essentially a Metal Slug clone where you could also summon like bombers and shit. I can't for the life of me remember what the game was called, but it was probably my favorite game on the site.

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
On a related note, does anyone know this one Popcap game that was essentially a Metal Slug clone where you could also summon like bombers and shit. I can't for the life of me remember what the game was called, but it was probably my favorite game on the site.
heavy weapon?

0000000571.800x600.jpg

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
I only sorta miss that vibe because my father had so many of these casual games back in the day (especially from Yahoo Games)

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No love for Insaniquarium. *shakes head*
qz33K5c.jpg

Damn I played the fuck out of this game on my old ass flip phone back while working landscaping and maintenance for a summer job back in college. Maybe it was the sequel, its been so long I forget but I remember how hilarious the late parts of the game became with aliens invading your aquarium.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thought crosses my mind every once in a while, and I've wanted to make a thread but never got around to it.

Like I'm glad Garden Warfare is doing well for them (and it's a fun series), but I miss the old simple but fun games they used to put out.

And I'd kill for a proper sequel to Plants Vs. Zombies.