• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes, I miss splinter cell in general, including the sp, and I loved blacklist.

But I was just talking to buddies on games we missed that we played a lot online. More specifically, games that weren't that big, such as lost planet 2, and for us spies vs mercs - i feel so nostalgic about it now. Had a blast on it.

plz bring it back..

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
I can imagine it'll come back in the same way Rainbow Six did with its multiplayer.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
It was a lot of fun. It was also at a time when MP was really focused on the experience and not MTX to death. I guess I am saying, I miss those times.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
I wasn't fan of Blacklists Spies vs. Mercs. It was great from the start but when the community started getting the late game unlocks, the gameplay slowly became absurd. What used to be a fine-paced match turned into 'who can spam all their gadgets the quickest.'

It was better when everyone had the starter/basic gadgets.

Oct 26, 2017
In Blacklist the classic mode was the only way to play. Their modern one was a gadget ladden bullshit fest. If they decide to bring it back, they need to throw that shit out the window and stick to that classic mode.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Man, I feel bad that I missed out Spies vs Mercs back in the Chaos Theory days. And its sad that the official servers has been closed down.

And even if I use VPN apps like Tunngle or whatever, the process to setup is too cumbersome for me to handle :/

Ya know, my biggest dream for the graphical remake of the first three Splinter Cell games is bringing back the multiplayer, at least for Chaos Theory

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
I wasn't fan of Blacklists Spies vs. Mercs. It was great from the start but when the community started getting the late game unlocks, the gameplay slowly became absurd. What used to be a fine-paced match turned into 'who can spam all their gadgets the quickest.'

Exactly that's why I only played the SvM Classic playlist.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This was a really fantastic mode. I had a friend who got really serious into either the first or second SC game that featured it. He won some online tournament and got a really fancy new graphics card out of it.

Hope it comes back, it was a really unique thing that no other game really matched.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
This is one of the biggest regrets I have because I never got into spies vs mercs during its hayday and I wish I had experienced it.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting comcept but when I played it in Pandora Tomorrow on Xbox I just felt like a sitting duck on either side, hah.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
As long as they remove the Spies' ability to 1-tap instakill they can bring it back. Otherwise - that'll be a pass for me.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Pandora Tomorrow was where it was at. So simple, so direct, so much fun. Absolutely adored it.

Jun 17, 2018
Loved it in Double Agent for 360. Crazy amounts of fun when partnering up with a friend.

Blacklist was the only one I missed due to the Xbox One release being around the corner and no backwards compatibility in sight.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
I never quite got into Spies vs Mercs as much as I did in Pandora Tomorrow but, man, I played the hell out of it in that. Honestly some of the most fun I've had in multiplayer.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
More games need to adopt asynchronous multiplayer in general, to be honest.
I think you mean "asymmetrical". :P

I only played a little in Pandora Tomorrow on the original Xbox, but I think Chaos Theory was out so the population was pretty low. Still was fun trying to sneak past real players!

Also, speaking of Pandora Tomorrow. Was that the only Splinter Cell not brought to PC? It's not even on UPlay.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017

I only played a little in Pandora Tomorrow on the original Xbox, but I think Chaos Theory was out so the population was pretty low. Still was fun trying to sneak past real players!

Also, speaking of Pandora Tomorrow. Was that the only Splinter Cell not brought to PC? It's not even on UPlay.

It definitely was on PC. I only played it there; odd that it's not on UPlay.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It was immensely fun but people dropped it rather quickly. So maybe they need to rethink the formula to make it more appetizing to the traditional MP crowd.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the eventual new Splinter Cell has it because I've had so much fun with it. Nothing else since Blacklist has quite matched the tension that a good match of it could have.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

Didn't played the last Spies vs Mercs but in the first game they introduced it (Pandora Tomorrow), I think there wasn't any upgrade at all.
It was hell of fun (so much tension) even without mic.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019

Yeah. The only way to get it is buying a boxed copy.

From what I've heard, the game has lighting/shadows problem on PC. But since there's already fixes for those, I'm not sure why Ubi can't bother aside from possibly licensing/copyright issues.

Oct 25, 2017
Me too, buddy.
I think Blacklist was its first proper return since Chaos Theory.
But it didn't have the staying power Chaos Theory did.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
In Blacklist the classic mode was the only way to play. Their modern one was a gadget ladden bullshit fest. If they decide to bring it back, they need to throw that shit out the window and stick to that classic mode.

This and the fact you can't show off your sick character skins while hiding in the shadows means I can't see them bringing back Spies vs Mercs - there's no way for them to monetise it.

Oct 26, 2017
or keep both modes, and make changes to the new one
Nah, the new one was just a clusterfuck. At that point you can just play COD.
I mean, keep 4v4, fine. But most maps were tuned for 2v2 with proper light/dark mechanics, and giving Spies Guns was just downright stupid. Spies vs. Mercs is best when there is a consistent playing field. If they want to do Upgrades they should be cosmetic only.

That being said, I'd play the hell out of a new game that is 2v2 with basic rules.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People still play it on xbox BC on blacklist.

But yeah, it was my favorite game mode back in the day.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
This and the fact you can't show off your sick character skins while hiding in the shadows means I can't see them bringing back Spies vs Mercs - there's no way for them to monetise it.
Omg you just made me so sad. There might be something to monetize but it's hard given the nature of the game. I really hope that doesn't stop it from happening..

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Still probably my favorite multiplayer with friends, so many great moments in Pandora Tomorrow
It was way ahead of its time

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I played the shit out of Chaos Theory multiplayer. One of the only pvp games I really liked all that much to be honest. It and classic Blacklist are the kind of mp game that don't get made anymore from big companies -- low player count, simple, no superpowers or unlockable gadgets and shit, just your skill at using the mechanics already there.

I can imagine it'll come back in the same way Rainbow Six did with its multiplayer.

This is one of two or so ways I see Ubisoft realistically bringing back Splinter Cell -- a Spies vs Mercs pivited towards esports with tons of quantification shit, maybe or maybe not with an optional "classic" mode, either alone or attached to a larger open-world story game.

Mountainous

Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Chaos Theory was a golden era of gaming for me. They really do need to bring back asymmetrical multiplayer for the next Splinter Cell. I've been pining for a new one to be announced since E3 2017.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I definitely agree with those who say it peaked with Pandora Tomorrow. It was so fun even though it had a lot of bugs/glitches.