• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Then I don't get how you don't get the selfish part. You could have COVID any time without knowing it. As someone working with the public regularly, you're actually far more likely than the average person to have it. Any contact you have with people is a chance to infect them. Which means the responsible thing is to minimize non essential contact as much as possible. You have to go to work. You don't have to go drinking every night.

Some of us have zero socialization right now. Since March, outside of a few doctors appointments, I've gone inside a building that isn't my house 3 times. Once to get a flu shot, once to vote. The one thing I've done for me was for my anniversary me and my wife made a trip to a liquor warehouse, in the middle of the day on a weekday. There was like one other customer in the whole place, and i still felt bad about it. I had my parents over twice, after they quarantined. I've seen no friends, no other family, nothing to protect myself and others. To limit chances of spreading this as much as possible.

I'm not saying everyone has to go to that extreme. I understand the desire to see friends and family now and then. God do I freaking get it. Every night though? You're going to do you, but don't lie to yourself about what you're doing.
So I can't see the same people I see every day, whether or not I was drinking with them or not since I work with them and I'm mandatory required to be next to them less than 6ft because that's how small our job is (tj). Cause no matter what we're gonna get in close contact, even closer at work than drinking afterwards. My best friends are my coworkers and we all like to hang out with each other.

Good for you that you took those extra steps. To me and this same group we don't care. If this was me and my family then that's different. But my friends are going through the same shit and are gonna see each other no matter what cause fuck just isolating yourself from the whole world when your job requires you to be in presence of the whole world. It's not like I'm asking strangers to hang out. We get asked the same questions of our well being before clocking in and after 8 months we all answered truthfully enough that we know we're not gonna hurt each other.

I do me. You do you.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
So I can't see the same people I see every day, whether or not I was drinking with them or not since I work with them and I'm mandatory required to be next to them less than 6ft because that's how small our job is (tj). Cause no matter what we're gonna get in close contact, even closer at work than drinking afterwards. My best friends are my coworkers and we all like to hang out with each other.

Good for you that you took those extra steps. To me and this same group we don't care. If this was me and my family then that's different. But my friends are going through the same shit and are gonna see each other no matter what cause fuck just isolating yourself from the whole world when your job requires you to be in presence of the whole world. It's not like I'm asking strangers to hang out. We get asked the same questions of our well being before clocking in and after 8 months we all answered truthfully enough that we know we're not gonna hurt each other.

I do me. You do you.

You said yourself that some of them you don't work with two posts ago. You said they work similar jobs to you, but that means nothing. This thing could go through your work and not theirs, or vice versa. With you all hanging out though, especially this much, if people at your job get it, you're likely going to transfer it to their work and make everyone at their job get it. Even if you work together as well, the more time you spend around each other, the more likely you are to spread it to each other if one of you gets it. The amount of time you spend around each other increases the amount of viral load you're able to pass.

I understand you don't care. That's the whole problem. People not caring is why cases are spiking and so many people are dying. You don't know you're not going to hurt each other. What you're doing significantly increases the chances that you hurt each other. It also significantly increases the chances that you hurt each other's co-workers, and any customers you have contact with, and everyone those customers have contact with, and everyone those people have contact with, and so on and so on and so on.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I live in Japan, and I can safely eat out at restaurants without much risk.

feels good man.

Yeah I've never stopped going the whole year to be honest. Also helps I don't live in a major city and don't have to rely on public transport since I have a car. Was just at a ramen place last night and sushi last weekend. Likely going somewhere tomorrow night too.

Nov 8, 2017
I've been to a few restaurants this year. In fact, I went to five different ones last week during my vacation in Italy.

The restaurants are currently closed where I live, but honestly, I can deal with that. I miss my local arcade more than the restaurants (the arcade is still open, but I'm not going there as long as they require wearing a mask, which is probably going to be a very long time).

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
The wife and I miss it also. We used to go out 2-3 times a week. We went out a handful of times during the summer but we are back to being more cautious.
We miss sitting at bars the most. 😢

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Anyone coming in here saying they are still routinely going out to restaurants are giant pieces of shit.

I'd say they're selfish and inconsiderate, but generally agree with your sentiment.

I miss going to restaurants. I miss going to breweries. I miss date nights with my wife. I don't care if "numbers are good," you're willingly flaunting your privilege and lack of consideration for the rest of society. You can disagree with me and spout all the data you want, but you are not going to change my opinion. And just wait until the numbers spike back up, as they're starting to do. The weather is getting worse and the holidays are on the way.

Last edited:

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I hate the fact that we have to be safe all the time and can't just live life while out. But that's our leadership for now. We have to do, what we have to do. Outdoor dining is ok, but nowhere near the same.

normal life will be dope come 2022

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I miss going out to restaurants and bars with friends, but as long as everyone gets tested I am OK with having a small amount over.

Dating in the deep of winter (NYC) will be tough or impossible unless the restaurant or bar can afford to set up enclosed heated areas - and I am guessing those will be backordered or limited.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I absolutely miss it. I enjoy the atmosphere of eating somewhere else, I used to frequent theme park restaurants especially. But in particular I really miss this small little tea room. Hope it survives this nightmare.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I miss going out with my friends and coworkers, but enduring all this months without going out (since March) is a far better alternative than knowing any of them, or my family, could die due to not taking necessary measures, or be sick. My boss had covid in may and he's still dealing with the aftermath - he hasn't fully recovered, even 5 months down the road.

I'm doing my part, and won't be going out until the vaccine arrives. I'm lucky that I'm still with WFH (and not in the US) but any other food I'll go and have it through take out, maybe once a couple months. The rest can wait until the vaccine arrives, the universe will still be out there in six months or whatever long it takes.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Maybe I shouldn't confess, but we've started venturing out to a few local restaurants with outdoor seating. Indoor dining still makes me feel uncomfortable. I wonder how long that feeling will linger after the pandemic dies down

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
I've been out to restaurants almost once a week since July, and have been to movie theatres twice so far. I saw Tenet on an IMAX screen!

But I also don't live in the US, and live in a country that has taken COVID seriously.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've been out to restaurants almost once a week since July, and have been to movie theatres twice so far. I saw Tenet on an IMAX screen!

But I also don't live in the US, and live in a country that has taken COVID seriously.

Where do you live?

We've started venturing out to a few local restaurants with outdoor seating for special occasions. We never went out much at baseline though, so I can't say it's impacted us severely. Indoor dining still makes me feel uncomfortable. I wonder how long that feeling will linger after the pandemic dies down

This reads as if the pandemic is already dying down, when in most places it is only going towards the next spike.

I miss going out to restaurants and bars with friends, but as long as everyone gets tested I am OK with having a small amount over.

Dating in the deep of winter (NYC) will be tough or impossible unless the restaurant or bar can afford to set up enclosed heated areas - and I am guessing those will be backordered or limited.

An enclosed heated area might as well be inside, and probably is unsafe. Unless the restaurant has a lot of outdoor space for seating... but most of them in NYC won't have.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
I can get anything else in takeout, bit the one thing I truly miss is going to Korean BBQ places. Damn do I miss them.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
As I enjoy cooking I don't miss restaurants as much as others.

But whoo-boy I've saved so much money not going out to drink at bars in the past almost 8 months. I miss the socializing aspect, but between overpriced drinks, paying Lyft, and tipping bartenders/servers, my bank account thanks me. I definitely question if I'll ever return to that lifestyle again. I can now sit in my make-shift bar in my house, buy a case of beer or a bottle of liquor, and listen to whatever music/watch whatever sports I want. I'm enjoying it! :D

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I miss going to the movies, buying some popcorn and nachos, then sinking into the leather seats and forgetting everything outside for a couple hours...

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol some of you guys just need to let a guy vent and stop trying to come up with a 'solution'.

Let people miss things, it's natural.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Lol some of you guys just need to let a guy vent and stop trying to come up with a 'solution'.

Let people miss things, it's natural.
IDK why people think everyone can and should enjoy cooking at home. Look, I know cooking is great, cheap, healthy, etc... but I don't enjoy it nearly as much as a good meal out with good company.

Oct 27, 2017
I miss moshpits. Everyone getting excited about "social distancing" concerts and shows like, that's cool for your kind of music. I wanna get knocked around and hit people and get all gross and sweaty. AKA everything that you shouldn't do during a pandemic.

I can cook at home, I can drink at home, I can watch movies at home etc... I can't get a circle pit with 100 people I don't know going in my living room.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I thought I missed it but I went in to a local restaurant to get a pickup order the other day and had to deal with two old men just barking on and on about politics, basically vomiting out Fox News talking points loudly.

So, nah, I'm good.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Me as well, but when I look at my bank metrics and see how much I've saved over the last 8 months, like over 10k, its crazy and definitely helps. I miss more the social aspect of it more than anything.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I miss the movies :(

Restaurants as well. My friends and I used to go to this restaurant all the time and I almost forgot the name of it when talking about it with someone yesterday *sobs*

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I am in the midst of funemployment (just got an offer to start in 2 weeks) and it kind of sucks that there is nothing to go out to celebrate to.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
Did outdoor dining about 6 times this summer and enjoyed it immensely.

Unfortunately it's now getting too cold to continue to do so, so it's back to take out/make my own food by myself for another 6 months.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I miss restaurants but its the lack of gyms that's been the biggest bummer for me. Even though gyms are open now, I still dont feel confident that its safe enough to workout the way I used to before the pandemic.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone coming in here saying they are still routinely going out to restaurants are giant pieces of shit.

No, they're not. If you're genuinely mindful of safety procedures and people around you when you go to a restaurant, then you're not a piece of shit. I'm in closer proximity to people when I go to the grocery store than when I go to a restaurant.

Oct 27, 2017
No, they're not. If you're genuinely mindful of safety procedures and people around you when you go to a restaurant, then you're not a piece of shit. I'm in closer proximity to people when I go to the grocery store than when I go to a restaurant.
There's a difference between going to a grocery store to get food than choosing to go to a restaurant and risking the lives of the other patrons and staff. Sorry, they are not the same thing.

And there's also a difference between deciding to go to a restaurant once in the blue moon and being all "lul I go to restaurants all the time nbd"

The latter is a piece of shit. The former probably shouldn't be doing it either.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not that I don't like going out to restaurants with friends and whatnot because I definitely do

but I feel like most of the people complaining about this just really miss being served upon and it weirds me out

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
IDK why people think everyone can and should enjoy cooking at home. Look, I know cooking is great, cheap, healthy, etc... but I don't enjoy it nearly as much as a good meal out with good company.

I enjoy both and they are in no way comparable. I enjoy cooking for completely different reasons to eating out.

Miss football? Why not try Fifa?

EDIT:

but I feel like most of the people complaining about this just really miss being served upon and it weirds me out

This is such an odd take it weirds me out

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
as a chef working in a restaurant right now

support your local fav places

buy takeout often if you can

but please for the fucking love of god STOP DINING OUT PLACES

thx

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I moved downtown at the beginning of the pandemic, and while this is probably the worst time to live downtown, at least I'm close to amazing local restaurants I can get take-out from

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So much. We do takeout when we can but it just isn't the same.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
This is such an odd take it weirds me out

I don't think it's that odd. When I've walked by a restaurant, whether it's been outside dining or people inside on the other side of the window, there is a definite eerie classist scene going on with unmasked people smiling and laughing seated at their tables being served on by people in masks and sometimes gloves. It feels like they are living in two different worlds, one where there is nothing wrong and just to go on having fun while the other world requires protective gear.

It's weird.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You pass someone in the grocery store in a second or three. Is that how long you spend in a restaurant?
I ask because exposure time matters a lot.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest: I kind of like what happened with restaurants. Lots of places that used to never even consider offering takeout or delivery now do--including some Michelin places that I wouldn't have been able to try, as they didn't even allow kids. It's pretty nice to be able to get a meal like that on occasion to have in the comfort of home or to take to a picnic or something.

Now, of course, the wreaking havoc on everyone's social lives and destroying the economy thing is a problem, and COVID needs to go, but silver lining, at least.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's what I miss most after all these months of working from home and restaurants being take-out only. In a normal month I would usually visit a local Viet place for pho, a Japanese place for yaki soba and sushi, and a steak place for, well, steak and a fancy appetizer.

It's just not the same doing carryout and eating it at home. Especially the pho.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
This is what I miss the least.

I don't suffer from anxiety much, but in recent years I would always get anxious at restaurants for some stupid reason.

After 45 minutes I get real figity. Dunno what it is.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I don't miss restaurants at all (I get take out once a week usually which scratches the itch) but I do miss hanging out at breweries with friends.

The money saved from going out has been put into other hobbies though which has been nice though.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's that odd. When I've walked by a restaurant, whether it's been outside dining or people inside on the other side of the window, there is a definite eerie classist scene going on with unmasked people smiling and laughing seated at their tables being served on by people in masks and sometimes gloves. It feels like they are living in two different worlds, one where there is nothing wrong and just to go on having fun while the other world requires protective gear.

It's weird.
Thank you! articulated my feelings far more effectively.