• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I like christmas and getting big presents all on one day

but I think I as I've gotten older, what I would like more are little moments of gifting throughout the year

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
I miss Giant Bomb @ night. I bought the mug this year because who knows if it will ever happen again.
Yeah I basically wanted to see the Giant Bomb coverage more than anything. On the other hand it's nice that companies have time to announce things when they want, which could mean earlier announcements or more polished ones.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I basically wanted to see the Giant Bomb coverage more than anything. On the other hand it's nice that companies have time to announce things when they want, which could mean earlier announcements or more polished ones.

To be honest the Giant Bomb at night stuff kinda felt they could do that any time, it's basically just a bunch of off the cuff interviews. I feel it didn't even really have much to do with E3 outside everyone gathering in one place obviously making it way easier to organize for GB.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
E3 always was a little party of one event for me, I usually took a week off from work, stocked up on Pizza's, snacks and booze and stayed up til 3 in the morning watching E3 live at Giant Bomb, hanging around in chat during the conferences streams and the @Nite stuff. It was always a good time.

E3 wasn't just video game commercials, it was industry people hanging out, having fun, having good talks and making new friends. And we as viewers could get together as well in the chats and on the forums.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely agree, and this dilution will last for around 4 months till August.
With E3 things were different, we got alot of announcements, we had high points and low points, but it was a mega event, now every announcement is kinda lacking a punch.

I miss E3 as well.
Well said. This trickling of news has so far been disappointing. Hopefully it picks back up.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
To be honest the Giant Bomb at night stuff kinda felt they could do that any time, it's basically just a bunch of off the cuff interviews. I feel it didn't even really have much to do with E3 outside everyone gathering in one place obviously making it way easier to organize for GB.
Good enough excuse for me, but I'll take what I can get given the circumstances.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But when it's actually E3 there are a thousand posts a minute in conference threads saying that it's boring

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I like this way more tbh. E3 had to much stress to deliver and now we get a nice steady rain of announcements week to week instead of a huge deluge of announcements followed by literally nothing for months.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I miss it too. Never understood why people were so glad to see its decline. I looked forward to it every year like a holiday of sorts
I like this way more tbh. E3 had to much stress to deliver and now we get a nice steady rain of announcements week to week instead of a huge deluge of announcements followed by literally nothing for months.
Counter-point: at least with E3 we knew when big announcements were coming and could look forward to them. If something wasn't announced at E3, you could expect it to be at least a few months before you heard news about it. Now if there is radio silence, you don't know if an announcement is coming soon or not.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
i'm rather confused at all the people criticizing the op for saying he misses e3 when we're one month before it normally shows up

i'm not sure if y'all missed the memo, but there IS no e3 this year. it's literally cancelled! sure, we'll be getting game announcements and such trickling in over the next few months, but whatever THAT is, it's not e3

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I miss it too. Never understood why people were so glad to see its decline. I looked forward to it every year like a holiday of sorts

Counter-point: at least with E3 we knew when big announcements were coming and could look forward to them. If something wasn't announced at E3, you could expect it to be at least a few months before you heard news about it. Now if there is radio silence, you don't know if an announcement is coming soon or not.
Eh I dont see that as big of a benefit compared to the steady stream of news.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never understood the people who said E3 should be cancelled tbh.

Last year was my first ever E3 and I went for Xbox Fanfest. I went to every fanfest event and it was amazing. My brother and I then went to the show floor when it opened up and it was like a different society entirely. It is hard to explain without sounding like an ass but it was a bunch of like wannabe famous Twitch streamers and bloggers just walking around with their phones in those stabilizer things and if you got anywhere near them just walking they would look at you really shitty like I was ruining their shot even though they were in a hallway. At a certain point my brother and I made a joke out of how many times we heard the phrase "Hey [Peeps, Ya'll, Squad etc] its [Y'boy/Y'girl]. It was comical.

Like it was seriously one of the weirdest damn experiences I have ever been a part of. I am from the midwest so I was definitely a fish out of water in LA I will admit that. But the level of weird desperation for fame on the E3 show floor was just...weird. Everyone acted like a celebrity, but everyone was a nobody. There were a number of people we saw who were streaming live on Twitch or Youtube and we looked them up. They were literally streaming to no one and faking conversations. My brother actually went into one of the people chat room because he introduced himself to start his stream. He was saying shit like "Hey whats going on chat. xXXBongRipperXxx good to see you again man!" The guy was having a conversation pretending to interact with views. My bro was watching the entire stream and its chat. There was no one. That was kinda the moment where we both just made a big look around the floor to catch the sights and then we fecked off to a German bar we found. E3 Fanfest was cool as hell. E3 Show floor is just...sad really.

Watching it at home is more than fine for me from now on.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer everything spread out, gives each announcement time to breathe. Also, it's about time people here learnt to be patient - gamers seem to want everything yesterday.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Same. I loved getting so many announcements in one day. Spreading them out over several months kinda puts a dwindle on the hype.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I prefer what we have for now. E3 is like you said a constant barrage of stuff. So much so that I can miss stuff and did without the Reddit threads that compile the releases. With this trickle down of content, I'm aware of almost everything.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
E3 was my favorite week of the year, I really miss it and hope it will be back next year.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care for announcements spanning several months. I'm bound to lose interest in a couple of weeks and just start catching them after the fact instead.

Clownio

Oct 29, 2017
Why do people care so much about a marketing stint? Isn't the beauty of games in actually playing them?

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
We have had more abysmal E3's the past 10 years than we have had worthwhile ones. If anything I'll miss the YouTube cringe compilations.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
In theory I like the idea of spreading announcements you would usually see at E3 throughout the year and giving individual releases, interviews, showcases, etc, time to breathe, but what I'm starting to realize is that maybe some things didn't need all the time they got in the first place. E3 was a big event that I do miss, but the highly packed and condensed nature of it allowed you to forget the parts that maybe weren't that great. Dropping individual announcements throughout the year is cool and I like that, but not every single one of them needs hype men and countdowns. It's far more exhausting. But maybe I just say that because I'm not really the type to obsessively get caught up in hype threads and theorycrafting. I just want to see good showcases of games.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like announcements being spread out, but 4 months is a bit much.

Six weeks would be perfect - you'd get 2-3 announcements a day that makes it feel like an event, but gives enough time to discuss rather than pages of one word reactions.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
i'm rather confused at all the people criticizing the op for saying he misses e3 when we're one month before it normally shows up

i'm not sure if y'all missed the memo, but there IS no e3 this year. it's literally cancelled! sure, we'll be getting game announcements and such trickling in over the next few months, but whatever THAT is, it's not e3

No, the actual memo is that unless you were physically going to E3, you're still going to get about the same amount of streamed presentations. Probably more even.

So the OP is ridiculously premature.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I totally agree, OP. I was thinking about this the other day as well. Even if E3 was sometimes underwhelming, it always felt like THE event that every gamer looked forward to.

COVID-19 has made everything so boring, depressing and uninteresting. Oh well. As long as we still get some kind of event showcasing new games leading up to the new console launches, then that'll be fine I guess. But without the passion, excitement and enthusiasm E3 always came with, it won't really be the same.

Jimbojim

Jan 10, 2018
I miss watching the crowd reactions during the e3 pressers. I never attended e3 but I used to go to the showings they had at movie theaters for Sony and they were awesome...in a smaller scale

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand why so many people wanted E3 to dissolve.

The current format of sparse, intermittent digital "shows" and a drip feed of information via Tweets just flat out sucks. E3 was such an exciting 4-5 days.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been really interesting seeing the opposite reactions to E3's "demise" between gamers and the media. There isn't a consensus but it seems fans miss the experience while the media is celebrating it. I can't really blame the latter, seeing as how they leaked a ton of personal info, among other things.

I do agree with you though, OP. I always treated E3 like a mini holiday. Yeah, yeah, I know - it's a glorified commercial, but I don't give a damn, it was so fun seeing new games and crazy reactions.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
No, the actual memo is that unless you were physically going to E3, you're still going to get about the same amount of streamed presentations. Probably more even.

um okay, but it's still waaaaaay different than the traditional e3 we normally have, which was op's point i beieve.

also, as one of those people who WAS going to go to e3 this year, this also effects me double.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Probably not over the course of a few days though which is kinda what made me care a lot about E3. I found a lot of the presentations boring and disappointing but it was just nice to have 3 or so days to myself to sit around and just watch, discuss, and complain about video games. It made the good presentations even better as well. What reason do I have to even tune into EA's presentation if it's not next to all the others? EA has always bored me but you watch them because it's part of the E3 lineup.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Everyone loves to complain about E3 presentations and how they all suck.

But the games we've had over the past few years have been incredible.

So I guess people are complaining about the way they are presented, and not the games themselves?

Ajax125

Nov 15, 2017
I miss the excitement and the buzz that would happen leading up to the event and during the week of E3. My biggest regret is that i never got a chance to see it atleast once in person.