• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
spiderferi

spiderferi

Apr 15, 2018
Tehran, Iran
Deus Ex's worldview and "classical" brand of conspiracy—what if the people the highest echelons of power/government are all actually slick, cold, and calculating geniuses locked in a 58,436-way match of 4-interdimensional chess for control over the human population?—feel laughably, depressingly quaint here in the year 2020.

There was this video talking about the OG DX and how it has a pretty cheesy storyline filled with conspiracies and X-Files esque narratives, that were pretty fun back in the day but have become way more meaningful in the current era and depressingly nihilistic, to not the fault of the game itself but how in 20 years the world has changed.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I remember trying it when Cyberpunk 2077 demo was making the rounds, I'm so glad I did. Currently I'm not too interested in CP, it looks too gun focused, where is the passive gameplay demos? I only play non violent.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
Yeah it's a huge shame Mankind Divided got all that hate considering it was only supposed to be the middle game in a trilogy, we really need a 3rd game to wrap up Adam's story!

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I remember trying it when Cyberpunk 2077 demo was making the rounds, I'm so glad I did. Currently I'm not too interested in CP, it looks too gun focused, where is the passive gameplay demos? I only play non violent.
Yeah I was looking forward to 2077 as being an expanded Deus Ex but it's looking more like GTA in tone and style which is a bit disappointing. Loved the last two Deus Ex games. Feel like Mankind Divided got a lot of unnecessary flack for microtransactions when they were only used for a multiplayer mode which had no bearing on the single player.

Oct 27, 2017
God I miss it so much too. Loved loved loved HR and even MD, with all its shortcomings, had some incredible highs too.

I mean, seriously, Golem City/Utulek is legit one of the most atmospheric levels I've *ever* played. It's a work of art.

CB1CF82AC9FF1AF0C71BB92452216EB3DAF64C57

1473195718_deus-ex-mankind-divided.jpg

20161029203530_1.jpg

c927856d650d886e0a8eb66293af9a64.jpg

mdc5urxp2egl.jpg

I'll never stop gushing about it.
spiderferi Here are two links you and anyone who keeps on talking about the music would love:

Most of these never made it to or properly represented in OST. There are absolute gems in there that are about an hour long each.

Sometimes, I just put them on in the background as I work.

Nice, thanks for these posts. Will have to get back to Mankind Divided at some point, haven't been to Golem City yet.

[...] Anyway, here's the actual real life inspiration for Golem City, the (now demolished) Kowloon Walled City:

1e36dc858aded77daacc9e57f27cd778.jpg

54d3d7dfeab8ea73448b4567

1371262_05_Alley_GG.jpg

una-de-las-calles-de-la-ciudad-de-kowloon.jpg

kowloon4.jpg

"...Reading the reviews of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, I noticed a trend. Almost every one of them, including my own, mentioned one level in particular: the Palisade Bank. This dense, complex map is arguably the highlight of the game, and a neat microcosm of everything I love about Deus Ex. It's an intricate web of security systems and shortcuts, with severe brutalist architecture and gleaming marble floors. And the first time I set foot in it, the urge to cause trouble and test the limits of the security was irresistible. The design of the Palisade Bank level was led by Clémence Maurer, who worked on it from the earliest concept to its completion..."​
"...If you attended the Level Design Workshop at GDC 2017 earlier this year, you might have seen a fascinating talk from Eidos Montreal's Clémence Maurer about how Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's hub city of Prague was thoughtfully laid out to reward players for exploring its nooks and crannies. According to Maurer, designing Prague with a limited workforce required fast, smart ways to populate a very dense gameplay area, without relying too much on other departments. The hub area was filled with environmental clues and readable objects that tell stories which are not strictly tied to the game's critical path or any side mission, but make the world coherent and rewarding, affording players a feeling that everything is linked. It was a great talk that drilled down into a complex, multi-layered bit of level design that took years to pull off..."​
"...The Palisade Bank has got to be one of the best levels in the franchise... I've never been so delighted by a Deus Ex level before, and I've beaten every single game..."​
--Deus Ex Subreddit (Post with 221 Replies, 96% upvoted), The Palisade Bank has got to be one of the best levels in the franchise

Thread by @FarSight XR-20: Splinter Cell, Dishonored, Hitman, Deus Ex : what game has the best stealth Bank level?
wdpSIcl.png

Screenshots by OtisInf:

Palisade. For Naturals Only

The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!
33551076545_aab41bc7c0_h.jpg

www.flickr.com

Patterns. Patterns Everywhere

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Reshade, own camera tools, SRWE Mandatory shot of the moving blocks in the bank. Done by many, this is my take :)
33534340955_10694ffc2a_h.jpg

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Mankind Divided is really great - it could've used a more memorable supporting cast and *slightly* more concrete teasing of all of the stuff they clearly wanted the sequel to be about, but it's otherwise spectacular.

That said - DX:HR and DX:MD have a few design problems I hope future DX games address. The melee takedown system of future games *absolutely* needs to be more like Dishonored (it shouldn't be instantaneous, but it also shouldn't consume resources like battery life, and enemies/encounters should be designed around those different freedoms and limitations). I think the cutscene takedowns demo super well but I don't think anyone would argue that they're good gameplay.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Deus Ex Mankind Divided was amazing. I had a few nitpicks but I cant believe I missed out on this game for years.

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
Have those 2 last games as many options to tackle a situation like the very first Deus Ex? I only played the first one when I was young and I absolutely adored replaying levels using different strategies.

Wesley

Jan 10, 2018
They're fucking amazing and it's so disappointing that they're now on comic book stuff.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Have those 2 last games as many options to tackle a situation like the very first Deus Ex? I only played the first one when I was young and I absolutely adored replaying levels using different strategies.
Things are a bit simpler (no lockpicking, can't really explode most doors like you could in DX), but the levels are generally designed to have multiple ways to get in and out of places.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Human Revolutions was better but Mankind Divided was a very good Deus Ex still.
I don't mind if this franchise does 1 game per gen (+DLC)

JC1936

Jun 23, 2020
Love the Deus Ex games - the environments, levels, music, stories, freedom... I've played HR & MD so many times, I cannae count. Goes w/out saying, I really, REALLY want another game w/ Jensen.

(Since I'm wishing, I would love another Dishonored game, or Prey. Why not both :) ).

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
God OP tell me about it. Human Revolution was an absolutely incredible title and Mankind Divided was the most criminally overlooked games of last gen. I don't think MD was quite as good as HR, but really that's only by virtue of the story feeling basically only half done with a really sudden and disappointing finale. The moment to moment was superior (I feel) to HR and Prague is a GOAT location in games. It will be absolutely criminal if Eidos doesn't return to finish off Adam Jensen's story. Hopefully, if Cyberpunk is a success, it will cause them to revisit the property.

Last edited:

Deleted member 77016

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 4, 2020
I want a full remake of the original. Seems to me it would be a good idea to get the franchise back in the spotlight.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I have to play Invisible war at some point.
If it only was a proper PC game :( It still wouldn't hide the fact of its other evident issues and I know that people don't like the sentiment of consoles holding back certain games and I'm not sure if this is always true. Deus Ex: IW, however, is an example par excellence of what happens when you have to have too many restrictions. But DXIW is technically a mess, the gameplay is, by nowadays standards, mediocre at best and let's not even talk about the factions and the story...

It's an okay game and still one of not too many games within that genre but I wouldn't recommend it nor would I say you have to play it.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Mankind Divided is the best immersive sim in the past who knows how long. Maybe even since Thief 2. It's just so damn good. From Prague being possibly the best city space designed and created to the themes of identity that run throughout the entire game. It's the game that makes Adam Jensen *work* as a character. And that mid credits stinger. Fuck. God I want a sequel and closer to that story so bad. ):

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Certainly one of my favourite franchises and it's unfortunate we probably won't get a proper conclusion to Jensen's story.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Mankind Divided was amazing, the only shortcoming was the scope of the story was more limiting than previous Deux Ex games.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
That said - DX:HR and DX:MD have a few design problems I hope future DX games address. The melee takedown system of future games *absolutely* needs to be more like Dishonored (it shouldn't be instantaneous, but it also shouldn't consume resources like battery life, and enemies/encounters should be designed around those different freedoms and limitations). I think the cutscene takedowns demo super well but I don't think anyone would argue that they're good gameplay.

I actually prefer them to the jankiness of the stealth takedowns in the og tbh. Might just be modern gaming sensibilities but everytime i go back to the og that's the thing that frustrates me the most.

fluffy pillow

Sep 12, 2018
I miss Deus Ex so much. Mankind Divided, despite how ridiculous the whole 'mechanical apartheid' thing was, is in my top five of the generation.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
As much as I love Mankind Divided, I really missed out on my first playthrough by not doing the Palisade Bank level, at least two major plot points are revealed there. More reason to replay it soon.

Oct 27, 2017
Game makers Toolkit did a good video on the Games Prague hub.

"...In a previous episode of Game Maker's Toolkit, I said that maybe Rocksteady's Batman games were better suited to the tight, claustrophobic hallways of Arkham Asylum, than the wide-open streets of Gotham City. Essentially, I was asking: when it comes to open worlds, does bigger always mean better?"​
"...It seems like there's only so much that one developer can make. The question then becomes how far apart do you space it, and how often do you repeat it. But, in the same month, we got a game that answered both of those questions with 'hardly at all'. That game being Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and the city of Prague. Prague is so small, you can't really call it an open world. In fact, we often call places like this 'hub worlds', because they splinter off into other areas for certain missions..."​
"...But calling it a city would be stretching it, too. This 2029 version of the Czech capital has just four train stations, a few hundred buildings, and a couple districts. You can run from left to right in a few minutes and from top to bottom in, well, it depends on your platform and if you've got an SSD hard drive and... well, never mind, it's small. But this tiny scale ends up being a strength, not a weakness..."​
"...These aren't just Easter eggs or secrets. They actively flesh out the world of Prague and speak to the game's themes. In fact, while the main storyline of Mankind Divided is pretty hamfisted with its allusions to real-world racism, these tiny stories provide more subtle commentary on what it's like to live in a world filled with prejudice..."​
"...But this new Deus Ex is validation that small worlds can be just as valuable and interesting as ultra massive ones. If not, more so. I'm also playing Yakuza 2 at the moment, which offers just tiny fragments of Tokyo and Osaka. But they're densely packed with details, giving you an incredibly vivid and intimate depiction of Japan..."​

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
That tease in the credits left me hungry for a sequel, now I can't remember what that tease was.

GrahamGoring

Nov 8, 2017
It makes me sad that we're unlikely to ever find out what that team could have done with the franchise on the next gen. Weird thing is, I can't decide if The Avengers falling flat on its face makes it MORE or LESS likely that SQUEENIX'll let them go back to making what they're best at.

MadZero

Oct 28, 2017
I'm planning to start Deus Ex: HR

Quick question, I own both original and DC, which is the best version? (PC)

I know that the DC improved the boss fights and integrated the DLC, however it has a lot of bugs and issues.

Any recommendations on which version I shall play?

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
100% agreed, OP. One of my favorite franchises.

Per conversations in this thread, Cyberpunk is looking much more GTA than Deus Ex to me, so less in my wheelhouse. I'm sure it will be impressive, but I miss the quiet spookiness and simmering style of Deus Ex.

Please make another!

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I'm planning to start Deus Ex: HR

Quick question, I own both original and DC, which is the best version? (PC)

I know that the DC improved the boss fights and integrated the DLC, however it has a lot of bugs and issues.

Any recommendations on which version I shall play?

I played the DC earlier this year with this fan patch: https://cookieplmonster.github.io/2020/04/26/dxhr-dc-gold-filter/

Worked great for me, but I found the integrated DLC killed the pacing a bit. I remember thinking "What is the point of this level?" and then when I completed the game and found out it was the DLC, it made more sense.

Still, I can't imagine how much of a bitch the boss fights would be in the original, for that alone I would advise the DC.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
And buy the DLC too. A Criminal Past is immersive sim personified.
The two things I say to everyone about to play Mankind Divided is 1. make sure you do every side quest even if you have to use a guide to avoid missing any; they're some of the best content in the game, and 2. play all of the DLC because it should have been included in the base game and if it were I think there'd be fewer people complaining about the length of the game.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
God I miss it so much too. Loved loved loved HR and even MD, with all its shortcomings, had some incredible highs too.

I mean, seriously, Golem City/Utulek is legit one of the most atmospheric levels I've *ever* played. It's a work of art.

CB1CF82AC9FF1AF0C71BB92452216EB3DAF64C57

1473195718_deus-ex-mankind-divided.jpg

20161029203530_1.jpg

c927856d650d886e0a8eb66293af9a64.jpg

mdc5urxp2egl.jpg

I'll never stop gushing about it.

just look at that art direction... Man, Fuck Square Enix :(

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I adore Human Revolution and Mankind Divided is so exceptional and such an immersive wonderful game to play. I really miss the series and hope they'll get back to it to finish the trilogy at some point
=

Pinku

Dec 21, 2017
Human Revolution is one of my favourite games ever. Mankind Divided did not impress me as much. I found Prague to be a bit disappointing compared to HR's more varied cities. Also felt short, but I did almost no side quests. Still very good though.