• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Started playing Forza 7 this week on Game Pass. Never been into Forza mainline, but this is pretty good. Looks real nice, especially with the weather and time of day changing. Plays well enough, good variety of cars & tracks though the early cup events are maybe one too many laps.

Anyhow, jumping around from cup to cup in the single player basically entails jumping around from car to car. Sedans for a few tracks, Muscle cars for a few tracks, Sports Cars for a few tracks, etc... I feel like this is basically every sim/semi-sim racing game single player campaign in modern times.

But idk, while it's fun trying all these cars, by moving around so much from car to car and even from track to track I never get a sense of any progression. It just feels like an amusement park where you go on one ride after another and keep moving.

Growing up on the first Gran Turismo games, I really liked how the campaign mode had you start with some weak little car and the races would be tough because you're so slow! But then you'd use the money from winnings to slowly upgrade and tune the car and because the car was so weak you'd really feel every upgrade difference that you put in. Next time you did a race on the same track you're familiar with by this point you'll feel going faster and handling better and braking better. Then you'd start winning more easily and make it to the next races and soon you'd save up enough to get a bigger and faster car and start on those races and work on tuning it.

It felt like you'd really get to know every car you raced with. When you got a new car and it handled a little different you'd really feel it and it'd be fun and excited to try something that's RWD and slides around after driving a FWD car. As silly as it sounds, most of the cars I've owned as an adult are because I had them in Gran Turismo 1/2/3 and liked how they looked and drove after I got to know them and wanted to test drive them/own them in real life.

Yeah in retrospect it was a bit of an rpg-ish grind to stretch out a certain amount of content for long engagement, but compared to nowadays when you get supercars and every car within an hour or so and you hop from car to car, I felt it kept my interest longer. After a week of playing Forza 7, while it's good, I just feel over it because I know that every time I boot it up it'll just be a new car in some new tracks/layouts and it just sorta gets old outside looking pretty (seriously the night to sunrise looks amazing!).

I figure no driving game will ever go back to that style of campaign anymore because it'll turn off people who want their fast fancy cars quick and want lots of variety from the beginning. And at the same time none of these games will probably keep my interest in the single player for more than a week.

Plus all these games are mostly focused on MP/Online anyhow these days.

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Really need that Racing Lagoon translation...
Any time now...

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
My first thought for Car RPG was Road Trip Adventure!

But yes, I also really miss the old-GT thing of starting from the bottom and working your way up.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The best part of CaRPGs is the choice of driving random boring cars, and that's one of the reasons why I'm excited for GT7. Let me drive an '03 Accord!

Duck-Zilla

Feb 21, 2018
Car RPG? I miss that too! That's the very definition of Car RPG for me:

Interstate_%2776_Coverart.png

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I miss Tokyo Xtreme... been in flux since Import Tuner Challenge on 360

MrOblong

Oct 27, 2017
Forza 7 made some terrible decisions for the career.

Killing modifications by mandating 'homologation' for most races was perhaps the biggest mistake.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Highly recommend Dirt Rally 2.0! It's an amazing sim and the whole "I hope she can hold it together!" dimension, with regard to the car itself, is such a huge part of the gameplay. The race events are long and the repairs cost time and money in between races, so when you're trying to set a record you always have to balance going flat out vs the risk of major damage. There have been a lot of times I've had to settle for a slower time just because I was not comfortable pushing to my limit on a hazardous course.

Just such a great game really, it's tense and has brought me loads of joy in a genre I don't normally engage with that much. The only caveat is that if you buy the deluxe edition, make sure to burn your money on upgrades then sell all the DLC cars so that you get the true starter experience of having very little money and only the starter cars. It makes decisions much more consequential and engaging.

Overall I think it fits what you're looking for to a T, try it out!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Highly recommend Dirt Rally 2.0! It's an amazing sim and the whole "I hope she can hold it together!" dimension, with regard to the car itself, is such a huge part of the gameplay. The race events are long and the repairs cost time and money in between races, so when you're trying to set a record you always have to balance going flat out vs the risk of major damage. There have been a lot of times I've had to settle for a slower time just because I was not comfortable pushing to my limit on a hazardous course.

Echoing this. One of my favourite things about Dirt Rally 2.0 is this exact thing.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

Exactly what I thought when I read the thread title. God I loved this game as a kid.

I totally agree with OP. I really would love a racing game with proper progression like that. I love the Forza Horizon series, they're amazing. But one of my main problem is that there is no real progression. You can basically play any race with any car you want and winning is not really required and you get super powerful cars super early on in the game.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I saw "Car RPG" and was reminded of Drift City.

I really miss Drift City now. :(
Drift City was so great in concept but man was it one of the worst and grindiest F2P games I've had the pleasure of playing.

I'd love that kind of charm put into a game with an even slightly less abusive monetization model.

YOU'VE GOT NOTHING, GO GO GO

Duck-Zilla

Feb 21, 2018
Exactly what I thought when I read the thread title. God I loved this game as a kid.

I totally agree with OP. I really would love a racing game with proper progression like that. I love the Forza Horizon series, they're amazing. But one of my main problem is that there is no real progression. You can basically play any race with any car you want and winning is not really required and you get super powerful cars super early on in the game.

I feel the same as you. There's no progression or accomplishments playing Forza Horizon. It is nice to drive around and chill out but I feel you can do that as soon as you get the game and there's no real point to actually do anything meaningful. The only thing is to unlock new parts of the map, besides that, the first hour is the same as your hundredth one.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I did genuinely really enjoy how Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005) opened with your car being stolen, leaving you to start over from scratch—it made each new car feel meaningful in a way they just don't in Forza. The way you'd take your rivals cars when you beat them was great, too.

OP
OP
Bebpo

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
NFSU 1 and 2 and BeamNG drive come to mind

Interesting, I haven't played those. Guess I should check them out!

Oh interesting,
The Crew was the ultimate Car RPG

Yeah, conceptually The Crew and its sequel were pretty interesting to me. I did try the first game on a free weekend or something and I liked it, but it felt very Test Drive Unlimited-ish in the handling and kind of long strips of empty. I've heard good things about The Crew 2 though, so another game I should probably give a try!

The best part of CaRPGs is the choice of driving random boring cars, and that's one of the reasons why I'm excited for GT7. Let me drive an '03 Accord!

Wellll, I feel like most modern car games have boring cars, but I'd rather be forced to actually use them, otherwise I probably won't past a race out of curiousity.

Oh man, I loved Interstate '76 growing up. Would love to see a spiritual sequel in that style. I remember Vigilante 8 was kinda that but wasn't as good iirc.

Just such a great game really, it's tense and has brought me loads of joy in a genre I don't normally engage with that much. The only caveat is that if you buy the deluxe edition, make sure to burn your money on upgrades then sell all the DLC cars so that you get the true starter experience of having very little money and only the starter cars. It makes decisions much more consequential and engaging.

Overall I think it fits what you're looking for to a T, try it out!

You know, I really like both Dirt Rally games, but they're a different kind of racer. I enjoy Rally stuff but since the tracks are so long it's more reaction as things go vs memorizing and learning and perfecting your racing line in the track layout. Plus the Dirt Rally games are way too hard haha. I still like them a lot, and really liked them in VR since you could see into the turns better and it helped improve my drive.

My favorite Rally game though is Rallisport Challenge 2. It's not as realistic but those were fun rally races/hillclimbs and it looked gorgeous at the time.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I've noticed about GT Sport, is when you have a race that's too hard to place in, upgrading your car for HP tends to make the race TOO easy. There's a weird balance to not being overpowered in these cups.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I want a nice car rpg that doesn't involve racing. Like do the Truck Simulator thing but make it a road trip. I can drive across the country, visit landmarks, stuff like that. Just a chill zen experience.

Duck-Zilla

Feb 21, 2018
The homologation thing was one of the primary things that game got criticized for, so I'm hopeful the next game is going to remove it.

Agreed. As well as the clunky/laggy "pre-race" pitstop menu and the whole driver customization which I didn't really care about. I hope Motorsports go back to a more grounded, serious racer and let Horizon do the more arcady racer.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I need an 8-bit JRG like Dragon Quest but you're just always in your vehicle, upgrading your car with the gold from running over monsters outside of town and then ramming it into dragons.

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
I want a nice car rpg that doesn't involve racing. Like do the Truck Simulator thing but make it a road trip. I can drive across the country, visit landmarks, stuff like that. Just a chill zen experience.
That's literally what The Crew is. The map is literally the entire United States, with lots of landmarks. If you want to try it, play the first one, it's a lot better than the sequel imo (and it's cheaper!)

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Agreed. As well as the clunky/laggy "pre-race" pitstop menu and the whole driver customization which I didn't really care about. I hope Motorsports go back to a more grounded, serious racer and let Horizon do the more arcady racer.

The few comments they've given about the next Forza in the past 12-18 months, have all pointed to it going a more "authentic" motorsport route.

I agree that Horizon serves people looking for pretty much anything else.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wellll, I feel like most modern car games have boring cars, but I'd rather be forced to actually use them, otherwise I probably won't past a race out of curiousity.

Yeah but barely any boring daily commuter cars and it's always the highest trim level. I want to be able to drive a base model Civic but also be able to drive a Type R. I love that Gran Turismo was filled with those types of cars in the past.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

I mean, if you wanna visit landmarks and just tour the globe in a "zen" experience, I'd probably just recommend Flight Simulator, lol.

exofrenon

Mar 30, 2019
The first 3 Forza games (maybe 4 also?) used to be like that: start from the bottom with D-class cars and slowly work your way to S-class racing. After 5 and the Horizon series you would get too many rewards at every level, which is nice if you want to have choice on what to do next, but it messes up the sense of progression in the game since after 1 hour in you have pretty much the fastest car in you garage. I am also not a fun of it...

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

Cars in Forza Horizon 4:

ie6cvaomKycy2ge77TzGZS-970-80.jpg

Mhn8wYpXwcqELxK5ZBvjtd-970-80.jpg

Forza-Horizon-4-Quartz-Regalia-Type-D.jpg

(Yes, that is the Regalia from Final Fantasy XV
Forza-Horizon-4-Cadillac-XTS-Limousine.jpg

Forza-Horizon-4-Peel-P50.jpg

Forza-Horizon-4-Top-Gear-Track-Tor.jpg

Forza-Horizon-4-Morgan-3-Wheeler.jpg

Forza-Horizon-4-Volvo-Iron-Knight.jpg

I didn't even get to a bunch of the DLC cars like this:

Feb 1, 2018
The last Forza game I played was 2 on 360 and I specifically remember it having very deep and technical "CaRPG" elements like down to adjusting the camber on your shocks and also a super complex vinyl graphics editor that people would make super crazy murals on

Not sure about the other 5 but if the Halo franchise is any indication then it probably got super watered down and destroyed

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The last Forza game I played was 2 on 360 and I specifically remember it having very deep and technical "CaRPG" elements like down to adjusting the camber on your shocks and also a super complex vinyl graphics editor that people would make super crazy murals on

Not sure about the other 5 but if the Halo franchise is any indication then it probably got super watered down and destroyed

Both of those things you mention still exist.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that sounds silly at all. It's exactly what I loved about the early GTs and Forza has always been lacking in. It's not that they have no progression, because they do, but it's not the same. It's basically just about credits, all the AI scales to your car class anyway — it's more about driving whatever you want while the progression is more limited to the track selection. That's cool, but doesn't really give the "career" feel or the sense of accomplishment that goes with it.

People don't like grinding anymore though, it is what it is

Last edited:

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
NFS Underground 2 was my favorite for this for sure. That soundtrack too? Woof remaster please.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, GT5 was attacked a lot but was basically perfect as car RPG(besides the technical issues). The game had such an awesome RPG progression as long as you didn't cheat and buy some crazy op car by overgrinding, and it was this challenge all the way up to the nurburgring, which after that you had the credits play (with post game challenges and such involving race car tier which I wasn't a fan of).

Wish there were more games like that. Horizon is just kinda "do whatever you want we don't care!" and the other sim games are more "We focus on letting you drive a variety of cars, not getting them or tuning them to try to beat the competition" which both kinda bore me.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Cars in Forza Horizon 4:

ie6cvaomKycy2ge77TzGZS-970-80.jpg

Mhn8wYpXwcqELxK5ZBvjtd-970-80.jpg

Forza-Horizon-4-Quartz-Regalia-Type-D.jpg

(Yes, that is the Regalia from Final Fantasy XV
Forza-Horizon-4-Cadillac-XTS-Limousine.jpg

Forza-Horizon-4-Peel-P50.jpg

Forza-Horizon-4-Top-Gear-Track-Tor.jpg

Forza-Horizon-4-Morgan-3-Wheeler.jpg

Forza-Horizon-4-Volvo-Iron-Knight.jpg

I didn't even get to a bunch of the DLC cars like this:

Those are some interesting cars, but if this was intended as a counterpoint to them saying modern games have "boring" cars... I don't think he was criticizing their cars rosters with that, he just meant that Civics and other typical everyday "boring" cars were among the roster (which is a good thing!)... the bad part is that they do nothing to incentivize using those "boring" cars.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Those are some interesting cars, but if this was intended as a counterpoint to them saying modern games have "boring" cars... I don't think he was criticizing their cars rosters with that, he just meant that Civics and other typical everyday "boring" cars were among the roster (which is a good thing!)... the bad part is that they do nothing to incentivize using those "boring" cars.

The Horizon games have events at various performance levels all over the place, so there's plenty of incentive to use "boring" cars. All of the ones I showed pictures of are cars you'd mostly never use in a serious race, because they drive worse than a regular car.

The Peel P50 is basically in there as a joke, for example (the one with a livery to look like a Fisher-Price car). You can even mod it with a motorcycle engine, at which point it's like an uncontrollable rocket, and get tiny little offroad tires and fancy rims for it.