• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The evening started innocently enough. I had just eaten a lovely peanut butter and jelly sandwich and was playing some video games cozily in my chair while watching a movie before bed time. Then I saw it, in the corner of my eye, lurking in the darkness menacingly. A cockroach crawling along the edge of my trashcan.

I hastily grabbed something with which to defend myself, but I soon discovered this was no ordinary foe. It was two steps ahead, dodging every move I made with ease, and before I could make another it had scurried out of reach and returned to the dark realm whence it came.

How will I sleep now, I asked myself, knowing that the monster lived and now surely bore a grudge. Yet somehow I managed, crawling into bed and assuring myself in my foolishness that everything would be okay.

I was so very wrong.

It happened in the middle of the night, when the moon was high and the crickets chirping. I turned over in my sleep, yawning innocently and likely rather adorably, and suddenly I felt something on the back of my head. It must be my imagination, I briefly told myself in my half asleep delirium. Then I felt it again, crawling toward my neck. The demon had come for me, determined to enact its revenge in this, my most vulnerable hour. The cockroach was ON MY FUCKING HEAD, one of my worst nightmares made manifest. From there, it was all a blur. We struggled furiously, I don't know for how long, but in the end I managed to survive and triumph over my foe.

Yet the memory lingers. As I sit here, writing my story and unable to return to sleep, the feel of it continues to haunt me. Who can say who won in the end. Hopefully someday I'll be able to sleep again, and this will all merely be a humorous anecdote. But not tonight... not tonight.

Thus ends my horrifying tale of revenge. Thanks for listening. Feel free to share your own if you have one.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen a cockroach in person.

Oct 27, 2017
I had an apartment once where a week after moving in dozens of cockroaches were coming out of the toilet and crawling all over the place. Fortunately I was able to break my lease that's how bad it was. I feel your pain OP stay strong !

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

Here in Singapore they are rampant, people walking in the morning just crunch them under their heel casually.

Many cat-and-mouse games are fought inside of apartments with heavy duty raid spray and traps as they are quite resistant to damage compared to a typical bug...in fact many apartments here have small lizards (geckos) that wander the house just to eat bugs and hopefully curtail the cockroaches.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
If you see one cockroach, there are many more you can't see. I doubt those were both the same roach. Anyhoo, stay safe!

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to state the obvious elephant in the room, fully aware that it might make the whole thing a million times worse for you. I'll spoiler it to give you a chance to escape the ugly truth.

It's unlikely it was the same cockroach. You probably have a bunch of them.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
That happened to me once, in almost identical fashion as a kid. I jumped directly OUT of my skin, and did not sleep the balance of the night.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prepare for a lot of sleepless nights OP because what you described... could be a cockroach infestation.

OP
OP
Orion

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to state the obvious elephant in the room, fully aware that it might make the whole thing a million times worse for you. I'll spoiler it to give you a chance to escape the ugly truth.

It's unlikely it was the same cockroach. You probably have a bunch of them.

People keep saying this but it definitely 100% absolutely was the same one. It's the only logical conclusion.

I didn't realize you'd seen it.
Probably could use a good vacuuming tho tbh.

soul

Oct 27, 2017
The cockroach stealth attack attempt failed, you won. You should sleep like a winner.

That's my biggest takeaway from this too, who the hell does that.

I do it as well. I like playing in the living room while the TV is on (if I'm playing on PC, otherwise it's not really possible using one of the consoles). Usually I'd watch sports or a good movie. I can't concentrate on just 1 thing, I like to refresh from time to time. This is especially true when doing boring missions or grinding in the game.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The evening started innocently enough. I had just eaten a lovely peanut butter and jelly sandwich and was playing some video games cozily in my chair while watching a movie before bed time. Then I saw it, in the corner of my eye, lurking in the darkness menacingly. A cockroach crawling along the edge of my trashcan.

I hastily grabbed something with which to defend myself, but I soon discovered this was no ordinary foe. It was two steps ahead, dodging every move I made with ease, and before I could make another it had scurried out of reach and returned to the dark realm whence it came.

How will I sleep now, I asked myself, knowing that the monster lived and now surely bore a grudge. Yet somehow I managed, crawling into bed and assuring myself in my foolishness that everything would be okay.

I was so very wrong.

It happened in the middle of the night, when the moon was high and the crickets chirping. I turned over in my sleep, yawning innocently and likely rather adorably, and suddenly I felt something on the back of my head. It must be my imagination, I briefly told myself in my half asleep delirium. Then I felt it again, crawling toward my neck. The demon had come for me, determined to enact its revenge in this, my most vulnerable hour. The cockroach was ON MY FUCKING HEAD, one of my worst nightmares made manifest. From there, it was all a blur. We struggled furiously, I don't know for how long, but in the end I managed to survive and triumph over my foe.

Yet the memory lingers. As I sit here, writing my story and unable to return to sleep, the feel of it continues to haunt me. Who can say who won in the end. Hopefully someday I'll be able to sleep again, and this will all merely be a humorous anecdote. But not tonight... not tonight.

Thus ends my horrifying tale of revenge. Thanks for listening. Feel free to share your own if you have one.

Don't worry they day they are suicidal.

They will jump inside any moist open cavity when people are sleeping.

And they taste like prawns

OP
OP
Orion

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's my biggest takeaway from this too, who the hell does that.

I'm surprised people find this unusual. I do it all the time with tv shows too, unless it's something I'm super invested in.

I've been working my way through the Ghibli films on HBO Max since I've only ever seen like one of them. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind hits a little too closely to home.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

At my university the basements tended to have quite a few of them. You'd go into one of the common rooms down there and turn on the lights and see cock roaches scurrying away into the walls and floor. Although if you were alone in there for a while on your laptop or something, some would eventually go back to creeping around.

The dining commons was full of them too, especially around the dishwashing area where I worked. Caught one crawling up my leg once, so after that I made sure to never stay still there anymore. They often made it up to the dish return area too, so sometimes people would come to drop off their dishes and they would spot a cockroach on the counter. And sometimes when pouring out water to mop at night, it would end up picking up some of them from some unseen areas. Was pretty grim.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
That was an enjoyable read, OP.

And as others have mentioned, unfortunately, you probably have a lot more than 1. COULD be a fluke, but usually there will be a bunch. They suck; had to deal with them in the townhouse that I used to live in. We had a pipe leak inside the wall behind the water heater. The Servpro guys had to punch holes in the drywall on the sides of the house that were the shared walls. A couple of weeks later, we started seeing them. They're a bitch to deal with, but you can buy a bait that has the consistency of peanut butter. They eat that, get poisoned, go back to the hive and die, and then they BECOME the poison when the other little bastards eat the now dead bastard.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
OP. I just want to say thank you for that opening post. My goodness was it every bit riveting as it was suspenseful.

I really like the way op sets the stage for the second fight here:

It happened in the middle of the night, when the moon was high and the crickets chirping.

And then there's this:

Yet the memory lingers. As I sit here, writing my story and unable to return to sleep, the feel of it continues to haunt me. Who can say who won in the end.
This part is actually beautiful. It shows that victory may not always bring comfort. You've learned a valuable lesson. Well done, op. Well done.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Cockroaches aren't alone. We had a problem with them a while back when I as studying in another city. I killed a bunch of them but there was always more.
In the end I called pest control and they handled it.

The Waistcoat

Nov 8, 2017
Here in Singapore they are rampant, people walking in the morning just crunch them under their heel casually.

Many cat-and-mouse games are fought inside of apartments with heavy duty raid spray and traps as they are quite resistant to damage compared to a typical bug...in fact many apartments here have small lizards (geckos) that wander the house just to eat bugs and hopefully curtail the cockroaches.

Nothing prepared me for the cockroachs in SG. Didn't really help that it was literally the first country I had ever visited that had them naturally and in such abundance (and size).

I remember sitting outside in the evening with my then fiancee having a meal just after a bout of heavy rain and just as I said "huh the cockroaches haven't come out yet" I saw one make a run DIRECTLY at us. We then went back to her apartment and just as we settled down in bed to watch a movie there was another even bigger one across the room on the wall.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
house-centipede-shutterstock_273463868-1.jpg

I was taking a bath once and one of these little guys started crawling on my leg.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Being from the south and being raised in a house surrounded by live oak trees and pines, we would come across a huge roach every now and again. We had a pest control person spray outside and inside once or twice a year so they'd be dead when found most of the time. When they were still alive we would just kill them or spray them knowing if they got away their days were numbered anyway.

Tbh those huge roach once every blue moon is preferable to the nightmare fuel that I've seen on TV and inside of dirty electronics. My skin is crawling just thinking about those hundreds of tiny roaches.

Edit: yeah what onkelc posted.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
That was the second cockroach. The first one is still in your house somewhere.
Yes, when you sleep is when they get bolder and get near you.
Also, there are probably more.
Sorry OP but there doesn't seem to be a way out of this, maybe you should consider ending it all.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Nothing prepared me for the cockroachs in SG. Didn't really help that it was literally the first country I had ever visited that had them naturally and in such abundance (and size).

I remember sitting outside in the evening with my then fiancee having a meal just after a bout of heavy rain and just as I said "huh the cockroaches haven't come out yet" I saw one make a run DIRECTLY at us. We then went back to her apartment and just as we settled down in bed to watch a movie there was another even bigger one across the room on the wall.

My wife wouldn't stand for that, the movie would shut down and cockroach war MCXVII would begin followed by an airing out period to avoid taking too much damage from the fumes.

The geckos are harmless and not so daring. They take a little dump sometimes which is annoying, and my kid is freaked out but they in theory are just keeping down the ants (which can summon themselves anywhere in Singapore, especially for cockroach carcass) and maybe keep the cockroaches honest. I will say though I found a gecko that died in a toaster once...

Huddy

Feb 11, 2018
I remember travelling Australia and staying over in a coastal cabin somewhere along the east coast. I woke in the middle of the night, something felt off and reached for the light switch, to my horror upon the light coming on there were 30-40 cockroaches all over the floor and up the walls, it was a god damn infestation and I stared frozen as they all darted for cover.

Suffice to say I bailed out of that cabin faster than the Flash and slept in the vehicle for the rest of the night.

Fucking Australia man.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
I remember travelling Australia and staying over in a coastal cabin somewhere along the east coast. I woke in the middle of the night, something felt off and reached for the light switch, to my horror upon the light coming on there were 30-40 cockroaches all over the floor and up the walls, it was a god damn infestation and I stared frozen as they all darted for cover.

Suffice to say I bailed out of that cabin faster than the Flash and slept in the vehicle for the rest of the night.

Fucking Australia man.
You went to Australia?

You don't go to Australia.