• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I donated to the Democratic Senate candidates (at the time) in Georgia back in 2022. And even after blocking various culprits, I just keep getting more lol. It's like a cockroach infestation in my inbox. Who is behind this annoying strategy? Once a day is, OK, I understand. Still annoying tho! But multiple times a day for the same damn thing?!

Like, is this effective?

I find myself having to unsub from stuff every months.

Anyone deal with this?

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Oh it's awful, I gave to that Biden fight fund the moment the clock struck Nov 4 2020 as that's when it was launched, and I had emails constantly

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Yup, my text messages are now 80% "my God they are killing us at the polls please help lord Jesus you've unlocked triple match Trump is winning! Oh shit!!!!"

It's exhausting.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they're very obnoxious. The subject lines in my inbox range from "we'll never give up!" to "it's fucking over, we've lost".

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been very happy to filter messages in gmail to mark just about all marketing messages for everything as read and skip the inbox.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
It's to fill the parasocial void in the lives of voters

When they email you saying they love you, it makes you feel appreciated

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
use the 'unsubscribe' link at the bottom of the email

i dont get any anymore until i donate again and unsub again

SavoryTruffle

Oct 31, 2017
Michaels has been sending me two emails every single day for over three years now.

I've never even been inside a Michaels.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so it is a thing. Man, I have been flooded with spam emails abd text since I donated... In 2020. It's ridiculous

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
And heaven forbid you give your number.

Biden be all up in my texts like a thirsty ex.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Oh it gets worse when they have your phone number.

Beto won't stop texting me

SGRX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's extremely annoying. On the plus side, it's saved me money, because they thoroughly convinced me to stop donating.

Unsubscribing from everything works for a while, but over time the emails seem to start popping up again like a herpes outbreak.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Unsubscribe. I signed up to stay on top of things with Warren long ago and it was just a ton of emails asking for money. Sanders wasn't as bad about it.

It just work if they keep doing it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, my text messages are now 80% "my God they are killing us at the polls please help lord Jesus you've unlocked triple match Trump is winning! Oh shit!!!!"

It's exhausting.
LOL perfectly put

It's my texts getting the brunt of it. And the audacity to open with alarming as fuck things on my notifications like

"I.. can't believe I had to do this but.."

"Last night was the hardest decision of my life..."

"I never thought this was how it would end up..."

Like holy shit, way to set my anxiety through only to plead for a donation, wtf.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bruh...made that mistake with ActBlue...in 2020. The volume of emails...Jesus...

It's like a cockroach infestation in my inbox

Yeah, this is what it felt like

Same. Also, I use ActBlue to donate, if that means anything (probably not). I never get spam after unsubscribing.

Man...I had to hit unsubscribe on so many emails. It felt like my email ended up on so many lists (or something) that year. Emailed support about it and they told me I had to unsub from each organization individually 😑

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Bernie's "I am once again asking for your support" beg spam was cute, so I allowed it for longer than I would have normally.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
As annoying as it is, I think it's worth noting that this is relatively new behavior from Dems.

Meanwhile, Republicans have always been like fiends after their constituents money.

So while my initial reaction is to find it unsavory, part of me understands the necessity of Dems playing the money game. Democrats being the party of elites is a smear, in truth Dems tend to be borderline broke compared to Republicans.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I also don't know what's up with the graphic design of these emails. Just truly awful crap lol. But I guess it works?

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I literally made it my mission to unsubscribe from as much of that stuff as I can, and I think I finally beat them ~4 years later.

Honestly the emails themselves seem extremely unscrupulous and unethical. If they're not worded in such a way to deliberately trigger panic and anxiety, they are written in the kind of manipulatively intimate way that echoes the worst nigerian prince-style scams.

Towards the end I was getting emails like "random full name: sent from my iPhone" which of course seemed like it might be from a real person, which was exactly the intention.

Unknown

Oct 29, 2017
I moved to the US nearly a decade ago.

I still get text messages for who ever it was that previously had this number.

"Hey Darla! This is AN OFFICIAL MESSAGE FROM PERSISTENT TRUMP, would you vote for TRUMP FOR A THIRD TIME? YOUR RESPONSE GOES DIRECTLY TO HIM!"

I mean, how dumb do you..........

Also the whole "last chance 1000% match to your donation" stuff, etc, ... It's so obviously BS. If someone was genuinely donating 10x what you happened to donate then why on earth do they need you.

(I realize this is retorical)

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah i donated to abrahams and that other guy in georgia in 2020 and i got spammed to hell the next couple of years. think most of the email is now moved to my spam section since i never opened the messages.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I still get those 'fair fight' emails and a bunch of others too. Thankfully GMail compartmentalizes them. But yeah, I think some of them are from donations to GA for the 2020 election, and others I've donated too over the years.

Tons of them but I just leave it. I guess I didnt give them my phone, or maybe I gave them my google voice number? Either way, I dont get texts.

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I made the same mistake and my cell phone gets bombarded.

I also did a phonebank at some point and used my personal phone.........