• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I loved kids like that, but in your place the only thing I would be able to feel in that situation is cold sweating and panic that they would break my stuff.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm sorry, but I am actually very concerned by this OP too.
It seems you are a pretty reckless person and don't really worry for the future of your nephew at all.
Children at that age are just forming their character and barely begin to form their worldview yet you decide to just put something like this on his head and let him absorb it all without filter.
I think you should be ashamed really for doing this. The fact you even post this OP with a picture shows how little you understand what exactly is happening to your nephew.
I really can't believe you are letting your nephew train to be a Space Pirate.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Labo VR good for kids as young as 7? I don't know what would be different in that tech than would be with PSVR, Vive, etc. Pretty sure, like others have said, it's just to cover their asses since there isn't a ton of research on the topic yet.

I've let my 6 year old niece play as well, just need to keep time restrictions in mind.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
I'm also coordinating with my sister to get my niece (8) and nephew (6) a PS4 and PSVR headset for Xmas after they played BeatSaber :P

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
That's a great pic OP, I can only imagine the joy of been their age again and having VR. Like trying to imagine it at that age would blow my young mind! Really awesome presents from Mom and Uncle too!

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, but I am actually very concerned by this OP too.
It seems you are a pretty reckless person and don't really worry for the future of your nephew at all.
Children at that age are just forming their character and barely begin to form their worldview yet you decide to just put something like this on his head and let him absorb it all without filter.
I think you should be ashamed really for doing this. The fact you even post this OP with a picture shows how little you understand what exactly is happening to your nephew.
I really can't believe you are letting your nephew train to be a Space Pirate.

This made me laugh, haha

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
It's OK to point out concerns about VR and kids, but please don't derail the topic by lecturing or antagonizing other posters. Try to stick to the topic. Thanks.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
My 5yo daughter kept trying to touch stuff in-game... was fun watching her play.
PRiVM6K.jpg

Z4uFhjB.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My nephew's big passion in his little life is baseball. His father was an MLB pitcher, and he's got a natural talent for it. This last year he made the all-star league for the first time, he got to turn a double play during a championship game.

We're getting him MLB: The Show Home Run Derby VR with the PSVR.

I actually have another nephew who just turned 20 (fuck I feel old). His dad and I are splitting the cost of an Oculus Quest for him.

Gonna be a great VR christmas this year, I seriously cannot wait.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
My nephew's big passion in his little life is baseball. His father was an MLB pitcher, and he's got a natural talent for it. This last year he made the all-star league for the first time, he got to turn a double play during a championship game.

I actually have another nephew who just turned 20 (fuck I feel old). His dad and I are splitting the cost of an Oculus Quest for him.

That's really awesome.

I'm so glad my dad was a techy. He had the Sega Master System and he bought the 3-D glasses on day 1 back in '87, when I was like 5 years old. It was mind blowing at that age. Space Harrier 3-D and Zaxxon 3-D as experiences have stuck with me to this day haha.

Having gamer elders who buy all the cool shit is a cheat code for a young kid.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

That's such an awesome story!

I took my Vive to school, and it's pretty much become show and tell with that thing. Taking turns on Beat Saber and seeing how wacky we can be with games is just a great time for everyone involved. Convinced a few classmates to get an Oculus Quest for Christmas, haha.

I know they eventually want to get Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes and do a class session with it, so that might be on the table soon.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's really awesome.

I'm so glad my dad was a techy. He had the Sega Master System and he bought the 3-D glasses on day 1 back in '87, when I was like 5 years old. It was mind blowing at that age. Space Harrier 3-D and Zaxxon 3-D as experiences have stuck with me to this day haha.

Having gamer elders who buy all the cool shit is a cheat code for a young kid.

DpA3Vm6U8AAC6kY.jpg:large

That's me in the front on christmas 1988 getting my Sega Scope 3D glasses and space harrier 3D. I'm beaming from excitement, haha. That was one of my absolute favorite christmas gifts, me and my dad played Space Harrier with those glasses all night long. It was honestly mindblowing! I remember my neighbor was so blown away by space harrier 3D.

A few weeks later, we were so blown away, we got Maze Hunter 3D and Missile Defense 3D. Missle Defense 3D was a whole other level because it was a 3D light gun game. In many ways, the 1980's version of Space Pirate Trainer above. I remember thinking games couldn't get more real than that, haha.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even let my 9 year old touch my vr stuff yet... Too many unknowns on developing kids in terms of eyesight, brain development, etc. Thinking of letting her try it for very small amounts of time after she's 10 (maybe 30 minutes a day, tops)... Couldn't even begin to trust my 6 year old with it.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's me in the front on christmas 1988 getting my Sega Scope 3D glasses and space harrier 3D. I'm beaming from excitement, haha. That was one of my absolute favorite christmas gifts, me and my dad played Space Harrier with those glasses all night long. It was honestly mindblowing! I remember my neighbor was so blown away by space harrier 3D.

A few weeks later, we were so blown away, we got Maze Hunter 3D and Missile Defense 3D. Missle Defense 3D was a whole other level because it was a 3D light gun game. In many ways, the 1980's version of Space Pirate Trainer above. I remember thinking games couldn't get more real than that, haha.
Segascope 3D impressed almost everyone I showed it to back then. It was like the VR of its time.

Cool pictures. When I was 6 years old, the movie TRON came out, and I loved it. When I first played the TRON-like Space Pirate Trainer, it instantly reminded me of what I thought back in 1982 about how future video games would look.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
There are people who call VR anti-social, I can only imagine they haven't brought out the headset when people have been around because people fucking love VR and watching and laughing at others playing in VR. It's absolutely a social experience.

Cool picture!

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Dude you're playing with my heart strings now.

I got to literally the last jump on Maze Hunter 3D........ and missed it. You are the first person I've ever come across who has played it. Such a gem that no one knows about.

And yeah Missile Defense 3D was something. I never beat it but when you got far the missiles were coming at you like crazy. I used to get in the zone and it was such an amazing experience.

It's really a shame Sega gave up on it, but I have to assume it sold like total crap. I've never even known anyone else who had it.

Dope picture.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got to literally the last jump on Maze Hunter 3D........ and missed it. You are the first person I've ever come across who has played it. Such a gem that no one knows about.

I remember when my dad and I figured out that if you hit an enemy with that first test swing in Maze Hunter 3D you get when you pick up the iron pipe, you get a free life.

Thats one of my all-time favorite games. Everything about it rules. The music is great for an SMS game, too.

That was my "Zelda," the closest thing I had to Zelda on the SMS. But holy shit I played it soooo much. I used to have this whole route down for just about every level to speed through them as fast as possible. Using the spring shoes in metal area 1-1 to reach the balloon to get the super 2-way shot to make quick work of the rolling enemies.

They don't make games like that anymore.

I've heard for years, and years, and years now pnline this rumor that Maze Hunter 3D II was once in the works on the Master System. It appears to be a bunk rumor, as nobody has ever seen or heard anything about it, nobody can even trace the origin of the rumor to any sort of listing. But maaaan. For decades I would wonder in my head what Maze Hunter 3D II was supposed to look like, if it ever did exist.

BTW, ever heard the jpn-exclusive FM music? You needed BOTH Mark III add-ons for this; the 3D glasses and the FM Sound add-on. But the music is WOW:

All this is pretty off topic, tho. Make a SMS 3D topic and I'll fill it with memories and awesome stuff sometime, tho.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maze Hunter 3D is also on Sega 3D Classics Collection for 3DS if anyone wants a more recent way to play, and has FM sound. It was never one of my top SMS games for gameplay but visually it was stunning.

On a similar note, I was lucky to play SubRoc 3D back in the day at Chuck E. Cheese's. It was kind of like the Virtual Boy where you look inside. I wish I could play a real machine again.
2727374-subroc-3d%20flyer.jpg

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that rules

Given how I reacted to Space Pirate Trainer as an adult, I would have completely lost my shit over VR at that age.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, watching kids try VR is just amazing, I've let my seven year old goddaughter play Astrobot, and it's pure magic to her. You'll be very popular this christmas, OP!

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All this is pretty off topic, tho. Make a SMS 3D topic and I'll fill it with memories and awesome stuff sometime, tho.
I made one today.
www.resetera.com

Let's look back at early 3d image games

With all the advancements in Virtual Reality in recent years, I thought it would be nice to look back at the earliest 3d image video games, before 3DS and before Virtual Boy. In the late '70s, Atari began working on a holographic tabletop game system called Cosmos. It was expected to be...