• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
These are nice cherry-picked flattering gifs, but you only have to look at something as basic as the character models to know what I'm talking about.

In my mind the reality of the matter is that if they had better resources they would push for more detail and something more realistic (while still maintaining a colourful vibrant style). Maybe I'm wrong, but I've seen too many indie games try to mask technical deficiencies by applying some similar artstyle.

In fact all these water gifs just prove my point, since that's like the only part of this game that would actually be considered realistic and is the part that gets the most praise.
The whole "realistic = better" attitude is stupid.

Do you think Pixar is hiding technical deficiencies and a lack of resources behind their cartoony styles?

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
These are nice cherry-picked flattering gifs, but you only have to look at something as basic as the character models to know what I'm talking about.

In my mind the reality of the matter is that if they had better resources they would push for more detail and something more realistic (while still maintaining a colourful vibrant style). Maybe I'm wrong, but I've seen too many indie games try to mask technical deficiencies by applying some similar artstyle.

In fact all these water gifs just prove my point, since that's like the only part of this game that would actually be considered realistic and is the part that gets the most praise.

The SoT water tech gets praise not simply for being "realistic" but for how it works.

Again, you seem to have this "detail is directly proportional to budget/effort" mentality that boggles my mind. The game Get Even went for realistic art style, but is obviously far lower budget than SoT.

The other side of it is lumping all these games with apparently similar art styles together as though there is no spectrum of technical achievement or budget within them.

You feel how you feel about, and I'm not going to change your mind, but having this mindset of devs choosing this kind of art style chiefly because of a lack of resources will always seem totally bizarre to me, and seems enormously reductive.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I really like it as well, and all of them have distinct elements in their aesthethic too

excited to try Grounded today

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Or maybe they just have different tastes than you and want to make something more cartoony.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I have to play Everwild before passing judgement, but Sea of Thieves is a positively stunning looker.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Love that art style. I think it works in Everwild the best though. I wasn't sold on SoT's when I played.

What I mean is obviously SoT looks great, but the style is missing something I think they nailed in Everwild.

doyneamite

Oct 26, 2018
the whole discussion surrounding the game is about how brave they are to not pursue the dreaded, evil "realistic" art style. It's honestly baffling.

Maybe we're just in different circles, but I don't think I've seen that discussion regarding Everwild tbh. 99.9% of the comments I've seen have said that the game looks beautiful. 🤷‍♂

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
The small touches in Everwild's presentation are really stunning. Game looks really good. Shame that they dont seem to know what it actually is yet.

Oct 25, 2017

Do you think Pixar is hiding technical deficiencies and a lack of resources behind their cartoony styles?
Pixar is incredibly detailed and realistic in some respects while still maintaining a cartoon and colorful art style. That seems like exactly the kind of style the person would be arguing for.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
The scene with the big fish that spits out the little fish and when they're on the mountain and the animal stumbles...just wow.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Pixar is incredibly detailed and realistic in some respects while still maintaining a cartoon and colorful art style. That seems like exactly the kind of style the person would be arguing for.
Not at all - that post was arguing that with more resources they'd push for more detail and realism in general.

See the point they make about the water.

I'd also say that SoT already hits that mix of realism and cartoony look. The water and lighting is fantastic and fairly realistic whilst the character models and environments have a very whimsical stylistic look.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Everwild looks amazing, the other two, well not my cup of tea.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
This style has been around since forever, I guess the difference is that they're using it for big AAA projects instead of small indie games.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Sea of Thieves looks amazing and Everwild is the next step, love the art style.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Surprisingly Everwild does nothing for me. It looks pretty, sure, but eh.
On the other hand I really like Sea of Thieves' look despite not liking the game. It reminds me of TF2. It's very simple and clean(whereas Everwild just seems a bit much), and I love the character models. But it can look downrigtht stunning in the right circumstances - the skyboxes, water and lighting are top notch.

Grounded is alright. I mean that type of game would look offputting with a realistic style.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
But there's usually way to much noise, it's nice to have games with a bit more eye rest

You know, honestly, I think this reply here hits the nail on the head as to why I don't like the art style in Everwild. It's actually somewhat painful for me to look at. Maybe if it didn't give me a headache to look at I might feel differently about it. I guess maybe for some people this art style is easy on the eyes, and relaxing, but for me it just kinda hurts to look at.

I guess I shouldn't hate on it. More saturation would go a long way to making it not hurt my eyes though. I wish games like this would include a slider for eye comfort.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree with you OP. Works wonders for these type of games for me personally.

The style of humor in combination with the artstyle of Sea of Thieves does it wonders. I don't think it would have the same impact if it had the artstyle of say the Ubisoft pirate game.

Also love the look everwild seems to be going for. Could be pushed a tad more towards the style ori uses or a combination there of, but it is still quite close. But definitely shouldn't be realistic. Think this also speaks to a much wider target audience that way.

Edit: I'd like to add that I do have some issues with an art style like Gears. It's a semi realistic game, but not really and that somehow doesn't work for me. Gabe Diaz in Gears Tactics already looks a bit more the way I want the next game to look like, but I hope they push it even a bit further. The games are technically gorgeous though, no question about that

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I really like the Rare art style, but this is not a MS trend, this is a Rare trend. Especially because :
I don't really think Grounded is all that similar in art style to the other two.

Outside of racing games, Realism is generally a pretty boring artstyle tbh.
Even in them. Simulation (all of them), sure. Flight simulator is truely breathtaking but have a realistic focus. But earth from above is more beautiful than on the ground :)
I'd say we have more colorful AAA ones to than gritty. All Nintendo AAA would fall in the colorful category for example.

What about AC games? Definitely on the colorful side, specially Odissey. Gods and Monsters is certainly a move towards that style even further

Same could be said for Sony IP's like Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn, even Spiderman. More colorful than gritty.

How about God of War? I'd say definitely more colorful than gritty as well, but with more mature themes. Same with Uncharted.

Even From Software has moved a bit to the colorful side with Sekiro, even if ever so slightly.

There's not that many gritty AAA as we may think I'd say, specially out of the horror genre that is by definition gritty, but TloU2 being so recent has left a strong impression I'd say
This. I didn't liked it. TLoU was more neutral and I prefered it. I hate fake film grain to death so that didn't helped :)

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018

Realistic meaning higher poly models, better quality textures, believable lighting, more detailed scenery - all of which Pixar provide and these games generally don't.

Let me bring up Spiderman as an example. It's hardly the supposedly "overdone gritty realistic" game people here seem to have some weird fear of. It's stylised and colourful, but it's still realistic in terms of all the above things I mentioned.

The SoT water tech gets praise not simply for being "realistic" but for how it works.

Again, you seem to have this "detail is directly proportional to budget/effort" mentality that boggles my mind. The game Get Even went for realistic art style, but is obviously far lower budget than SoT.

The other side of it is lumping all these games with apparently similar art styles together as though there is no spectrum of technical achievement or budget within them.

You feel how you feel about, and I'm not going to change your mind, but having this mindset of devs choosing this kind of art style chiefly because of a lack of resources will always seem totally bizarre to me, and seems enormously reductive.

How it works would also class the SoT water tech as "realistic", again one of the more realistic things about the game.

And yes, my mind isn't about to be changed. The reams of indie games that ape this style (due to budgetary and resource limits let's be honest) have probably forever tarnished it for me.

That's one hell of a nonsense comment.

See above.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah it's pretty great. photo realism is cool and all but modern tech can do some amazing things with stylised visuals, but most developers seem to want to go with photo realism

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
This has absolutely nothing to do with a trend that MS started...this look is "in" for a few years now. and people should stop it with "in engine" trailers and judging the graphics out of it, it is worthless, the games will look different.

Tomeru

May 7, 2018
I know I'll get some flak for this, but isn't starting any trend here. There are plenty of games with that style.

Hard to say what EW even is at this point.

Oct 29, 2017
While they are both cartoony, Pixar (except for some shorts) and more traditional CGI animation are not exactly what this style looks at the highest end, that would be Into The Spider-Verse, the Disney short Feast, or that French film called Mune. Textures that looks painterly, a look that emulates 2D media like comics and graphic novels, etc.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I like realistic looking games and was really impressed what Turn10 showed with FM, if we only consider XGS. However seeing Everwild has me thinking what artstyle Fable uses and I wish they do something like Kena for Fable. Then we would see with Forza Horizon what the talented devs at PG can do with a realistic looking game and see what they can do with a more stylized artstyle. The best of both worlds imo.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
They need to think of idea and then pick a style they have it wrong way around look at Everwild looks nice but who know what that going end up being the devs are clear they dont know yet

Look at Nintendo they come up with splatoon with idea of paints shooting and try many style be for we got what we got

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Microsoft started the trend of making games that are colorful.

These games are really pretty though.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The "cartoony pastel" artstyle is amazing and so is everything else in this ilk. The Abzu's, Journey's, Wind Wakers, BOTWs.

Thank god not everything looks realistic.

Dec 25, 2018
I don't know how anyone can look at the Everwild gif and call it cheap looking.
I'm guessing because it is similar to a style that's common in the indie space at the moment, you have people going "that style was done because of the small budget = cheap, my big budget AAA games shouldn't go anywhere near this look regardless of the execution of the style."

It sounds similar to something I read about in a book recently were the Chuck Jones era of Looney Tunes shorts got flak because they moved from very painterly backgrounds like the previous eras to a more flat and simple ones that meshed better with the character design and allowed action to read better, but because UPA (well known for their low budget TV animation) and other studios opted for a similar look at the time it was derided as looking cheap.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
You're only putting, what, 3 examples? Two are from Rare and 1 is from Obsidian.
Rare always had this unique colorful games and Obsidian just decided to experiment with something new.

But trend? No.

Even if I share the love for this art style, I don't think Microsoft is starting any type of trend.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think colorful is a style ;)

Ex: Everwild looks beautiful. Grounded looks plain to my eyes. That they're both not hyper-realistic doesn't mean they both have the same style, or both have a distinct style.

I also don't think it's anything that started? Sunset Overdrive had a cartoony, colorful look and a more distinct style than something like Grounded. Nintendo and Sony have quite a bit of either realistic or not realistic games with a wide color palette, many with a more cartoony look (Mario Odyssey, Animal Crossing, Concrete Genie, Dreams).

You can also have a colorful palette with a realistic look (Ghost of Tsushima, God of War to the extent Norse Gods are realistic).