• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
One time while I was playing competitive Overwatch, we were getting stomped. One of my teammates hopped into voice chat for the first time to complain in the least creative way possible. "My back hurts from carrying this team!" Mind you, I had four gold medals as the healer.

That guy is an asshole, and so is anyone who likes "straight rippin' into my team or enemies when they're doing bad." People like this are a large part of why nobody voice chats anymore. Online games could have been a beautiful thing, but people had to ruin it.

LOL

My friends would say that in Gears and still do in Destiny. It's funny. It's silly. It's stupid.

That's the sort of trash talk I'm talking about. Its irritating at most, if the person saying it has a hostile tone. But with the right delivery and moment, it's not that serious.

What do you guys seriously expect from a semi competitive environment, where in most of these games, you MURDER people? It's as if you want some squeaky clean, puritanical environment where no one ever gets frustrated, upset or tilted. Everyone is just all smiles and no one ever says anything remotely negative about anything.

Professional athletes talk shit in real life. So what do you expect from average people playing games over the internet? Again nobody is condoning hate speech or acting like lunatic over the mic. But I'm not going to feel bad for making fun of you because you're lagging to hell and back because your connection sucks.

Mar 19, 2019
No, because my competitive game of choice is Splatoon 2 and Nintendo made the Switch's friend system and communication so minimalist it's insane.

If I could, I'd try to be constructive, like "please follow the fucking Rainmaker" or whatever instead of "you fucking suck" but I can't promise I wouldn't get loud sometimes.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
This is one of the reasons I will never be on mic and mute others if possible. Trash talk can be fun of we know each other, but otherwise it's too much when I'm already hyper aware that I suck and anxious about holding my team back

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I might trash talk a bit with friends if we're playing something competitively, but it's still usually pretty tame.

Honestly can't imagine doing that to someone you just don't know. Feels really weird, but maybe that's just cause I wouldn't want to be told I suck from some random person online.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
One time while I was playing competitive Overwatch, we were getting stomped. One of my teammates hopped into voice chat for the first time to complain in the least creative way possible. "My back hurts from carrying this team!" Mind you, I had four gold medals as the healer.

That guy is an asshole, and so is anyone who likes "straight rippin' into my team or enemies when they're doing bad." People like this are a large part of why nobody voice chats anymore. Online games could have been a beautiful thing, but people had to ruin it.
Seen this plenty of times, and the really annoying thing is that if they'd turned their mic on at the start of the match and provided some useful communication, the team would have had a better chance of winning.

But no, their mic is only there to complain when it's too late

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
What do you guys seriously expect from a semi competitive environment, where in most of these games, you MURDER people? It's as if you want some squeaky clean, puritanical environment where no one ever gets frustrated, upset or tilted. Everyone is just all smiles and no one ever says anything remotely negative about anything.
Why not keep it to yourself or your friends though ?

Like what's the need in directly calling out some random for doing poorly other than to make yourself feel better at their expense. Being in a raid with friends and saying your back hurts from carrying people is different to randomly ragging on some random in Crucible because they're having a rough match.

Not sure what shooting digital people in a game has to do with directly making real people feel shit for having a rough game.

Ragnite

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best feelings in gaming for me is beating someone who taunted you because they thought they had the game in the bag in a 1v1 match. It feels so satisfying and you can feel their embarassment.

Banter and trash talk can be an amazing way of elevating tension in competitive gaming, especially in high level situations. When you saw two teams in a big tournament taking shots at each other before a match, it raises the stakes a lot for that match, because it feels like the pride of both teams is at stake.

It depends on the situation, of course. Insulting random teammates when you both want to win seems really pointless to me, because you are just sabotaging your own chances of winning.

But good banter between two opposing, confident teams or in 1v1 games can add a lot of excitement to competitive games.

adinsx

Oct 30, 2017
To be honest, I love it when people do it with me. Just makes me try harder and most of the times win the game.

It kind of motivates me to win/destroy those kind of players, most of my replies are something like "ok mate", "yeah sure" and you can see them just losing it.

Still think people can't differentiate the "gamer" world with the "real" world. You aren't the best, you are going to lose (a lot) and it's just a game. Some banter is fine and when you disconnect from the game and go back to real life nothing really happened.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
LOL

My friends would say that in Gears and still do in Destiny. It's funny. It's silly. It's stupid.

That's the sort of trash talk I'm talking about. Its irritating at most, if the person saying it has a hostile tone. But with the right delivery and moment, it's not that serious.

Professional athletes talk shit in real life. So what do you expect from average people playing games over the internet? Again nobody is condoning hate speech or acting like lunatic over the mic. But I'm not going to feel bad for making fun of you because you're lagging to hell and back because your connection sucks.
I mean this is basic social skills we're talking about. You try talking to your teammates like that in any amateur level team sports and they won't be your teammates for long.

Oct 25, 2017
I have never been one to shit talk in games, unless I'm making fun of my friends while we're playing.

In the early days of online gaming when I allowed randoms to send messages, I often got hatemail in SF4 and MVC3, to which I replied with literal tips to do better. I knew that would burn more than any trash talk would.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Never saw the need to abuse random people and games don't tend to make me angry enough to diss anyone. Occasionally when I'm playing Splatoon I'll swear about players who don't seem to know what they're doing - 'dunk the fucking rainmaker!! - which ultimately makes me glad that game doesn't have voice chat with strangers. Don't fancy swearing at or intimidating kids.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Why not keep it to yourself or your friends though ?

Like what's the need in directly calling out some random for doing poorly other than to male yourself feel better at their expense. Being in a raid with friends and saying your back hurts from carrying people is different to randomly ragging on some random in Crucible because he's having a rough match.

Not sure with what shooting digital people in a game has to do with making real people feel shit for having a rough game.

Ever since 2008, no one talks in game chat anyway. Everyone is in a party now, myself included. So nowadays, all trash talk is with my friends and clanmates. Destiny game chat is a ghost town, plus the audio quality is horrible too. The closest thing to a random player is someone we pull from LFG. We still rag on one another, but leave the LFG player out of our shenanigans and bullshit.

Talking to random players on Xbox Live in 2006/2007, before party chat, was mostly a fun experience. Anyone who was a serious jerk, got muted immediately. But most people were (and still are) decent.

Gears 1, a game with huge muscular men and lizard monsters, shooting the fuck outta each other with chainsaw guns, definitely was an environment that fostered shit talking. It was part of the game. It added to the rough and gritty feel of the over all experience. It was bloody, gory, dirty adrenaline rush of a game. So trash talking was just inevitable. It catered to a certain mindset and specific type of player.

Those who played Gears, particularly Gears 1, know exactly what I'm talking about. But game chat is essentially dead now, at least in games that I play.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Ever since 2008, no one talks in game chat anyway. Everyone is in a party now, myself included. So nowadays, all trash talk is with my friends and clanmates. Destiny game chat is a ghost town, plus the audio quality is horrible too.

Talking to random players on Xbox Live in 2006/2007, before party chat, was mostly a fun experience. Anyone who was a serious jerk, got muted immediately. But most people were (and still are) decent.
Fair play, that's where I can shit talk until the cows come home. Definitely a very fun part of playing games with friends is the chatting shit with them.

Can't speak to 2006/2007 as wasn't playing online much with voice chat then, but the types of shit talk I've experienced nowadays has predominantly been mean spirited, insulting and ultimately impactful on the enjoyment of the recipient and the team. All so someone who can't control their emotions when playing a game can belittle or insult someone, purely to make themselves feel better about the bad match they're in.

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
I can't agree with most people here at all. The multiplayer game I play the most Monster Hunter World if I alone get carted (killed) 3 times and fail the quest I personally believe my teammates are allowed to berate my performance to a degree or at least express their frustration. Not only did I let them down but I also massively wasted their time when time is so precious at end game because of jewel farming. Thus leading me to improve or to me responsible in the quests that I join.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Live in the early 360 era was toxic as fuck, maybe I was just unlucky but all I heard was people telling eachother to kill themselves, n words and s word slurs everywhere, and I only really played pgr online at that point, wasn't until halo 3 I got into mp shooters.

Edit oh and fucking FIFA, EA making no way to turn off in game chat was some of the foulest shit I've ever seen, I think you still can't turn off in game chat on ps4 FIFA iirc (?). Last time I played a few years ago it still was on even with my os friends only setting.

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Do what you want with your friends if they are ok with it.
Let other people out of your "fun" verbal agression. You should talk with people who were victim of that IRL. How do you think they feel when you speak to them like that?

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Fair play, that's where I can shit talk until the cows come home. Definitely a very fun part of playing games with friends is the chatting shit with them.

Can't speak to 2006/2007 as wasn't playing online much with voice chat then, but the types of shit talk I've experienced nowadays has predominantly been mean spirited, insulting and ultimately impactful on the enjoyment of the recipient and the team. All so someone who can't control their emotions when playing a game can belittle or insult someone, purely to make themselves feel better about the bad match they're in.

I gave examples of what I consider "trash talk" on page 15. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. If someone said that to me, if just laugh and roll with it.

I'm 30 years old and the oldest in my Destiny clan. They call me the "dad gamer" because I don't stay up until 3 AM like they do (also I live on the East coast, while they're on the West). They rag on me for being "old" and that I'm "passed my gaming prime". Someone will say, "PX, you're throwing the match" and I'll just say "Yeah? Come to Jersey and say that shit to my face. I'll throw you through a fuckin window". And we all just laugh. It ain't serious.

As a Warlock main, if I see anyone fuck up a jump on their Warlock and they start bitching about how Warlock jumps suck, I immediately say, "Hey, lemme send you my copy of Super Mario World. Hopefully that will teach you how to not be terrible at jumping". And they can't say shit because Warlocks are the best class in PvE :p

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I gave examples of what I consider "trash talk" on page 15. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. If someone said that to me, if just laugh and roll with it.

I'm 30 years old and the oldest in my Destiny clan. They call me the "dad gamer" because I don't stay up until 3 AM like they do (also I live on the East coast, while they're on the West). They rag on me for being "old" and that I'm "passed my gaming prime". Someone will say, "PX, you're throwing the match" and I'll just say "Yeah? Come to Jersey and say that shit to my face. I'll throw you through a fuckin window". And we all just laugh. It ain't serious.

As a Warlock main, if I see anyone fuck up a jump on their Warlock and they start bitching about how Warlock jumps suck, I immediately say, "Hey, lemme send you my copy of Super Mario World. Hopefully that will teach you how to not be terrible at jumping".
Yeh, as I said if it's among your clanmates and friends then that's different to ragging on some blueberry in Crucible because he's having a bad match. I don't think many here are against chatting shit with your friends.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I can't agree with most people here at all. The multiplayer game I play the most Monster Hunter World if I alone get carted (killed) 3 times and fail the quest I personally believe my teammates are allowed to berate my performance to a degree or at least express their frustration. Not only did I let them down but I also massively wasted their time when time is so precious at end game because of jewel farming. Thus leading me to improve or to me responsible in the quests that I join.
This sounds like a horrible environment for gaming. Is all co-op gaming full of this type of attitude?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like a horrible environment for gaming. Is all co-op gaming full of this type of attitude?
Entirely depends. Usually if it's competitive pvp co-op it's more toxic potentially as there are higher stakes and people like to blame their team, if it's co-op pve it's usually fine or even really positive.

Varies from game to game.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Yeah I'm not into this at all. I have trouble finding folks to game with me, last I want is to make them feel like shit for trying.

If it's me and my bfff then fine, but randos?

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

How about if you did one minor thing ever so slightly inefficient and then your teammates proceed to rip on you and insult you and your theoretical race/gender for the next 30 minutes?

Because the majority of the time, that's what actual toxicity is. And despite a number of people trying to jump into the thread arguing "no I don't do that" or "it's not all like that", the examples they eventually lead to show that yes, that's what it is.

Playing with friends and dunking on each other is one thing, these are people you trust and (somewhat) understand the boundaries of.

Random people online? Fuck that. Why bother playing video games if I'm going to spend most of it being berated by people who have no idea what my circumstances are? People always point to "trash talk encourages people to get better" but that's not a universal truth, and I would argue it's more likely to push people away from the game entirely than actually encourage them to get better. Hell considering how many tools games have built to try and suppress "trash talk" and toxicity in games it tells me it's been more of a problem than a benefit.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, you are part of the problem.

Talking shit to people, your teammates especially, just because they aren't good enough, is awful. I play with many people, from all ages, who are great people and by telling them ''they suck'' you are ruining their enjoyment and making it personal. The moment you talk shit to another player, you make it personal. As much as you would like to say it's not personal. To them, it is.

Ira

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I never play games with voice on, or better yet just never with randos if I can help it.

Also love the "but they do it in sports!!!" responses, as if there isn't a ton of toxicity in the culture around sports. Not the greatest of arguments for the behavior.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
There is a major difference between talking shit to friends and harassing people online because it makes you feel good.

People who harass and threaten and bully people relentlessly are the biggest problem with online games. We've gotten to the point where just being a female in an online game gives you a 60% or higher chance of being harassed. Shit is toxic as fuck right now.

Jimbojim

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
No I don't and I really despise people that do so. I find it very cowardly to hear people talk trash online when they wouldn't have the guts to say it to the person's face.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
nah, trash talking just brings negativity to a match and then we just get man children shouting at each other. i want to game and not hear someone complain and rage all match. if the team is doing bad then offer solutions, trash talking does nothing to help its just noise. and usually if someone is childish enough to start raging and trash talking then they usually stop playing and lose on purpose, like taking their ball and going home, the epitome of childishness.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
not anymore. But from like 18-23....heck yeah. I used to get home from work with a 6pack. Smoke and hop on PS2 Battlefield 2 modern combat...Socom 3...COD Big Red One. And talk all the ish

I probably bodied you in this game. It was ssssooooo amazing talking shit on BF2 on PS2. What was your user name?

Latpri

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I dont rip on my team. And while I do do it to the opposing team its just "Gottem!" or something along those lines, no reason to totally rip people apart. I cant stand the completely sterile no talk back and forth thats been happening in games lately though. Getting rid of matchmaking and bringing back server browsing would go a long way towards letting people seek out thier own experiences.

Like, youd never see anything like those christian servers where everyone would pray before every CS 1.6 match on a Sunday anymore.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
By the nature of what it is, cooperative MP tends to be a lot less shit talking and hostile. You run into asshats sometimes but it's is significantly less than competitive MP. People generally roll with their own friends or have a silent detachment in pugs. Occasionally, you even get helpful random's in pugs.

Once you make the focus competitive, it tends to go to shit with few and notable exceptions.

Last edited:

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Depends on the game, but you better believe it. All in good fun, though, never purposely hurtful.

It's just like any other competitive environment - I'm the same way playing baseball and hockey, lighthearted jabs and trash talk is part of the game. If someone on the opposing team strikes out and I know they're the type of person who won't take it personally, you better believe we're going to taunt them a bit for it. I'd expect nothing less if I do the same.

"You're ten ply, bud."

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite weeby trash talking bits is when a game starts in overwatch and i go into match talk and say "We're Universe 7 and you're Universe 11. Also, I'm the Goku of the team, [picks random enemy], you're Jiren. Don't let me down." Followed by either my friend or me typing "Leave Jiren to me". If we win I just go "Jiren was no match for me, try again next time" or something about not even having to unlock ultra instinct and if we lose I say "this match was fanfic, its not canon so no one cares." Its the tamest one of my trash talking bits but its one of my favorites cause its so lame I laugh at it.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy shit talking but nobody talks in games anymore so it almost never happens. I mainly play BFV in modes where there's so many players that it would be difficult to build up a beef with a specific person. That game has a surprisingly nontoxic chat. People bitch about DICE or their whole team sucking, but there's rarely personal attacks outside of cheating accusations.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I remember in Gears of War how everyone would shit talk in the lobby between rounds, or when dead, and it was just 8 people yelling over each other. Good times.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
It's called banter OP and unless you are saying some nasty things I've no issue. Games like GTA and rainbow Six I will always be friendly and helpful.

But the community on Rocket league are so sensitive I cannot resist pushing their buttons. I'll give the odd sarcastic what a save here and there and it's hilarious how often that alone is enough to make my team mate self destruct and either quit or turn against me. Some people are just made out for online gaming.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018

I'm very much over multiplayer and coop games where fun is entirely dependent on winning.

I should be having fun no matter what and if I'm not then it's a waste of time.

On topic, Rocket League quick chat options are the best thing to happen to game trash talking since teabagging, change my mind!

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Unless its my friends or my clan, i usually just mute the opposition so i can concentrate.

shit talking online usually results in me being called the N-word (they dont even know im black lol) or a family insult.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I talk shit to my friends because I know they know it's friendly joking around and everyone is having a good time.

I don't insult strangers randomly because I don't find it amusing to taunt people I have never met. Also I don't know the emotional state of those people or how they handle verbal criticism so it's an especially dick move.