• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I do it in real life, talking noise. When you're losing you tend to be quiet, but when you're doing good you start to get confident and talkative. Years of Madden all nighters with friends and family until morning, good times. EA Fight Night PS2 days, oh fighting games! Lot of that is on display just by watching fighting tournaments.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I don't like to even use voice chat. But I recommend you to do only that with friends, not with strangers.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you need to bully people to have a good time in a game, that really saddens me. I personally don't tie up my ego in winning games that much and don't have a lot of patience for people who do. Fortunately it's easy to mute nowadays, but the percentage of toxic players can make it really tough to have positive interactions and find a decent community in games these days. Weird since the social aspect is emphasized more than ever before.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought that shit talking takes value out of the game. It's even worse when people do it to their teammates, in many cases it kinda saps out the "will to win" just to not give a positive to the a-hole who was talking shit. I stopped playing Overwatch because I saw that happen way too many times in competitive, and I also see it happen now in War Thunder (ironically, due to the way the game works, the people who shit talk usually quit and don't even get to see that 90% of the matches they thought lost were actually won, since unless matchmaking was awful or you were really unlucky, you can actually come back pretty often in normal WT matches).
So no, I don't talk shit online, and I dislike it when people do it.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'll admit i enjoyed doing it back to people who instigated it.

It was super satisfying when someone talked shit to you and then you beat them and a simple "why are you so quiet now?" So many hate messages and invitations to play 1V1.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yeah I don't ever start it. But I definitely enjoy shit talking once someone starts it. Especially in fighting games

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Always found it more fun to use it as incentive to bust their ass in something like CoD when the other team would talk trash pre-game.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
If its all in jest yeah ill spit some doo doo. Never anything like "your trash at the game you should stop" but more just playfully giving them a hard time. Usuallly specifically with freinds in parties. at times it can get heated amongst freinds but thats usuall all in good fun.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I prefer making jokes but talking shit is fun too.

Also to those ''not a kid'' people, adult life is boring and you know it, have fun filing your taxes.

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
Dota 2 is one of the worst gaming communities when it comes to this, I personally hate it when people talk down or are rude to their teammates, it doesn't bother me as much when they target the enemy team, just as long as it's not racist/homophobic remarks.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer making jokes but talking shit is fun too.

Also to those ''not a kid'' people, adult life is boring and you know it, have fun filing your taxes.

Adult life is boring and time is scarce, so why should anyone waste their time dealing with juvenile shit?
Its obviously and evidently unpleasant for a lot of people.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Adult life is boring and time is scarce, so why should anyone waste their time dealing with juvenile shit?
Its obviously and evidently unpleasant for a lot of people.

Well I spend all my free time doing juvenile shit like gaming and skateboarding, I also really like Nerf guns.

I think adults should at least have some fun, don't you think? You can only be responsible for so long without feeling like a tool or robot.

As for my argument, there's a difference between ''talking shit is bad'' and ''talking shit is childish and I ain't no child''

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
DNaiDEaX0AEhG9s.jpg:orig

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Well I spend all my free time doing juvenile shit like gaming and skateboarding, I also really like Nerf guns.

I think adults should at least have some fun, don't you think? You can only be responsible for so long without feeling like a tool or robot.

As for my argument, there's a difference between ''talking shit is bad'' and ''talking shit is childish and I ain't no child''

Fun, but not at the expense of someone elses, sure.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Reinforcing harmful stereotypes
Trash talk and reacting to it is how men are born. Like, I get it guys. Someone yelled at you for having a negative K/D one time. Grow some thicker skin and say something clever back.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Trash talk and reacting to it is how men are born. Like, I get it guys. Someone yelled at you for having a negative K/D one time. Grow some thicker skin and say something clever back.
The inability to control yourself over playing a video game and insulting random people as a result is definitely the hallmark of a man.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Teasing and only in good fun. I don't like actually ruining people's days. Unless they're been a massively terrible person. And then yes, there's some vindictiveness.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't do it unprovoked and I don't understand why age keeps coming into this? I'm 28, I'm not an aggressive person online or in person. Hell, I haven't been in a fight since I was about 13.

A part of me thinks people think I'm sitting there screaming down the mic telling people to go kill themselves or something. Defending myself doesn't exactly help my case in this sort of thing, but the misconceptions that I'm someone who targets people for no reason really isn't what was supposed to be intended with my first post.
It depends what you think is provoked. If you're shit talking people who are shit talking you then that's probably fine. If you're shit talking people for not playing well enough then that's not okay. Your OP suggests you enjoy doing the latter (even if it's not explicitly said) so that's why you're getting shit. Also age comes into it because being toxic online with strangers for no good reason is childish.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
No. I can't remember the last time I used a microphone.

I always hated it when people would bug me to join parties, because it made it hard to enjoy the games I was playing.

Shinku_King

Nov 11, 2017
I just mute people who act like that OP, especially after working an sometimes I wanna play something online I don't wanna hear a bunch of complaining, shit talk is cool if your like in a tournament but just random matches it's kinda silly.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I hate when my friend does this, he starts typing in that keyboard like Beehtoven with a piano.
It fucking sucks, it's toxic and should be avoided.

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
I talk shit to friends all the time and they do the same. It's a mutual understanding and we all have a laugh and no one gets hurt.

With strangers I only talk shit when they try to get mad and blame other people. I find it very funny that people get triggered and try to blame me for fuck-ups or whatever. And even if I did fuck-up, I would still do it because getting them mad and explosive is honestly more funny to me than hurtful. It's like damn, you really have nothing else to live for.

I just find it very difficult to get mad over online games. Like, a loss is a loss and life isn't going to stop just because you can't aim in Overwatch or you keep whiffing in Smash or whatever.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I just want every person online to be my friend. Unless you're a shitbag who treats people like crap anyway.

DeVeAn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't do it unprovoked and I don't understand why age keeps coming into this? I'm 28, I'm not an aggressive person online or in person. Hell, I haven't been in a fight since I was about 13.

A part of me thinks people think I'm sitting there screaming down the mic telling people to go kill themselves or something. Defending myself doesn't exactly help my case in this sort of thing, but the misconceptions that I'm someone who targets people for no reason really isn't what was supposed to be intended with my first post.
Nah, I get ya. I love "busting people's balls". Like you said you know who's playing along or not. Time and place matters though too.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Nah.

I'll do it *somewhat* at LANs with people I'm very comfortable with, and even then it's tame in comparison to what you hear online.

I'm guessing, since I have that shit muted by default.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
At most I'll drop a sarcastic "Wow!" or "Thanks!" in Rocket League when a team mate does something stupid and screws the team over.

Lupic

Dec 31, 2017
United Kingdom
I kinda did it way back when TF2 was in its golden days pre-F2P, and joined in with it during Halo 3 lobbies on the 360 but not anymore. Ain't nobody got time for that

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I take it that many of you ITT haven't or don't play or watch sports. If you do, I think you'd understand what the OP, myself and others mean by "trash talk". It sorta comes with the territory, in anything that is remotely competitive. Again, it's nothing too serious or personal, and never should be. Nothing beyond "you suck" or "X is fuckin terrible".

I find it quite interesting how much ERA, generally contrasts with the the real world and other communities.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
i dont start it, but ill come back at people

it can be fun, but it's almost always a bad idea if you want to win.

Making you lose the game becomes more important to them than them winning.

Jamiaro

Jan 8, 2018
Finland
This thread is the exact reason why I don't play with a mic except when I'm in a party chat. That kind of behaviour is dumb and toxic.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Halo 2 and Gears 1 were wild back in the day. Gears for me, especially, as some of you may know.

Oh man the memories...My FAVORITE, all-time thing to say, would be when we'd totally shit on the opposing team, and their scoreboard would be nothing but zeros. So that meant no kills, executions, assist, revives, damage points, ect. Anyway, when that happened, I'd be like, "Yo, y'all should open up a Dunkin Donuts franchise with all them donuts y'all got". "Donuts" referring to all their zeros.

Or, I'd just say, "Yeah, gimme a glazed, a Boston cream, a jelly filled, and, uh, two chocolate with sprinkles..." Without fail, they'd get pissed and immediately talk shit back. Goddamn it was funny.

Often, we'd look up people's post game stats to see if they used any active reloads (damage boost mechanic). Or, if anyone was "too good" or dominant during a match, they were immediately accused of having host advantage, even if they clearly weren't the host. Some folks would accuse that person of living in the hosts house or some shit.

We'll never have another game like that, ever. You'd had to be there. That's the type of "trash talk" I'm referring to. It's friendly, silly and not personal.

Edit

Nowadays, on Destiny 2, if someone has a shitty connection or lagging their ass off, I say something like, "Hey, since you're at McDonald's, can you get me a 20 piece McNugget?" or "Oh, the ice cream machine is working, so it must be causing interference with their WiFi over there". I also say, "Oh great, you're at Starbucks. Ask the barista to make me a caramel macchiato, and make sure she spells my name right. Thanks".

Other variations include, "This guy must be in a Wendy's parking lot" or "The fuck you playing on? A Boost Mobile hotspot? A Walmart TracFone?"

Again, you seriously can't get offended at that, right?

Last edited:

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
No I don't. People like OP are the reason why I've quit many team-based multiplayer games.

Also, if you want to talk shit to me, come do it right here in front of me instead of sitting safe behind a mic you coward :p

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The last thing I'm going to post on this topic, that has resulted in hilarious replies (like the one above me) is this. There needs to be one night a week on Era where we go 'no holds bar' toxic on each other. I think it would be healthy for this place lol

Goodbye thread. Godspeed OP 👍🏽