• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Yeah about..10 years ago? And it was more with friends and randos in CoD 4 lobbies going, "Hey guys my back hurts from carrying you all" and just BSing. Most times the opponents and my friends and I after talking a bit of trash (Not going you fucking suck) would go "alright guys that was fun, good game" and move on. Now? Hell no, I don't wanna hear anyone ever.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, playing Heroes of Newerth as a teenager was my prime for shit-talking. HoN was basically purposely designed to let you make your enemies as angry as possible. I would always play mid, and as soon as I was one attack away from soloing the enemy mid I would pause the game and start spamming huge, multicolored, glowing ASCII trash cans in all chat. I had a number of people just ragequit the game after that.

These days I just fuck around on coop games and lightly play some multiplayer so my shittalking days are behind me. I can't really say I regret it though, it's not any different than shit-talking in sports if you aren't saying anything prejudiced. Half the game is mental.

edit: I will say, winning and then talking shit at the endgame screen just to be an asshole is fucking weird. That actually happened to me in DotA a lot - the guy who's been shit talking the entire game starts writing paragraphs about how terrible you are when they win. Just say GG and move on.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Shit talking online is only fun if you have an audience and it's streamed live in front of thousands.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
I can understand if someone doesn't care/like to engage in trash talk, but to act like you're all SO grown up and above it? Please. So when you play sports/board games/cards/ w/e other activities do you just sit there in silence and only compliment good moves? I'll never go to the level that OP did and say someone "fucking sucks"(especially because no matter who you are, there's some shark out there that you're a scrub to), and I don't ever initiate, but if someone starts up some banter I'll join in. The toxic people are easily enough muted.

Party chat is a big barrier, since I'm in it pretty much any time that I'm not soloing.

Nov 14, 2017
I think as far as I go today is in Rocket League, if someone says "What a Save!" after I fail to defend the ball, I say it back if I score.
Otherwise I like being as friendly as possible and the best RL games are when people respect each other, at least for me.

I don't mind receiving some shit talk though, as long as you don't take it too far, have your fun I guess.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I played Apex Legends and was enjoying it a lot until I had a team where I didn't notice they ran ahead, and then they both died and proceeded to yell at me and berate me and really make me feel like shit. I stopped playing after that. Theres enough negativity in the real world, no need for that shit when playing video games.

So please stop OP, might be fun for you, not fun at all for anyone else.

Neolombax

Nov 28, 2018
Didn't do it when I was younger, nowadays I think its just plain stupid and annoying as hell. I mute all players anyways in games. Some people play games to relax, not to be ridiculed.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
Saying "GGEZ" after you turn the game around where you were getting trashtalked beforehand can be fun. So can ridiculing the trash talkers. Not looking to instigate or verbally abuse anyone though.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Actually, I do remember putting "get his" as one of the lines that appears on Monster hunter if a partner dies. I thought it was funny but the first time it came up, the player immediatly left the match. I felt like shit so changed it to something more supportive.

That the worst I've ever done, and I felt bad that I made someone feel bad when I intended to make them cringe at me for using a dead meme.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I find it hilarious when people talk shit to me. I don't really do it myself though. I'll usually respond to shit talkers with a friendly "good game :D"

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
In Destiny 2 I teabag players regularly trying to shade step in arc blade class :(

I always talk like I did it on purpose in party chat too.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I will only do it if someone is clearly talking out their ass like blaming their teammates when they did fuck all to contribute. Happens quite a bit in F2P games. Those games tend to obscure how good or bad a player is on purpose so nobody quits, lots of people floating around that think they are better than they really are.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really talk or even type much in online games. Not unless everyone defaults to friendly talk for whatever reason.

However, if the game has a taunt button, I am spamming that shit. Every time it is off cool down.

Logistic

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, and it's usually the reason I just mute everyone. Competitive multiplayer games turn into racism competitions so quickly.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes it's cathartic. As long as it's good spirited and you're not crossing the line.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I had troll-ish phases in Counter Strike Source days where I would loudly and vocally concoct elaborate plans and get team mates to follow me, then very badly fuck up or cause us to get killed by fumbling a flashbang or charging with my knife and getting mowed down. It was so stupid but pulling a total Leeroy on teams of hapless others had its charms when I was like 14.

TwoPikachus

Nov 15, 2018
The idea of it makes me sick. I like to have fun in games. I understand for some people trash talk is the fun, but I'm fucking done with that shit. Part of the reason I don't play online games and if I do, it's sans voice chat.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Nah not really.
But I do like pointing out small to big mistakes from the enemy team just to tilt them.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This thread reminds me of when I played Dead or Alive 6 online and out of the blue there was someone playing with a headset. They fit what the OP is saying, was a lot of "I'm gonna get ya" or "Ready for round two?" and talking to his character like he was their coach.

Was a very interesting experience to say the least.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Doing this in any game unless you're in a server/game that is specifically for people who want to shit talk others, makes you an asshole.

This toxicity contributes to the environment (especially) around competitive online games that makes people think it's a place where it's okay for people to harass one another or throw slurs around.

Don't shit talk random people in games if you wouldn't chew people out in real life for inconsequential things

tanky

Banned
Apr 2, 2019
Love some good banter. As long as you're not socially inept and know where the line is, it's fun and adds stakes to the competition.

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
If it's consensual (meaning for me, it pretty much is entirely contained to a full-premade in a multiplayer game with no-all chat), sure, some banter is fine. I think the only time I've ever gone beyond that was back during Left 4 Dead/L4D2 private servers with all-chat enabled & my friends would pretty much play troll comps on rare occasion - and even then it wasn't trash talk, as much as it was intentionally obtuse & unhelpful comms pretending we were on the opposing team (and even that was in the "ruining it for others" camp).

In almost every other case I've personally witnessed, it is fucking miserable to experience and can outright ruin evenings for your teammates and the people you face. Especially if the person who's doing it thinks they are "justified" or that they are that funny - they never ever are and it blows.

Took me a long time to realize it, but if you want to see some cool shit, try being openly egregiously kind and patient in a multiplayer game that has voice chat. You will be surprised on how much it can transform the entire vibe of what you are playing, even if they are pubbies.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No, I'm not a child.
Fuck no and you should stop doing it.
I just saw this thread, so I'm not going to read through 13 pages

I'm sure it's already been discussed so I'm only quoting the first two replies:

but does ERA not watch sports?? because trash talking is completely common and normal in professional sports, even amongst older athletes in their 30s or 40s

but no fans think badly about that. it's just totally normal and fun and accepted

so why are (seemingly) a lot of you ERA posters against it in video games? there's no difference whatsoever, it's the same thing as talking trash in sports

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Nope.
If some random is doing that I insta-mute them. If it's friends well it's friends and we joke with each other all the time.

Not in it to listen to some random trash talking all game long

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The only time I'd ever be negative in online games over chat is when someone was ripping into someone else. Then just pipe in with an irritating comment about their performance/grammar/spelling and leave it at that.

That kind of shit was unbearable in WoW/LoL.

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Trash talking is so much fun with your friends.

Dropping one liners is awesome.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

but does ERA not watch sports?? because trash talking is completely common and normal in professional sports, even amongst older athletes in their 30s or 40s

but no fans think badly about that. it's just totally normal and fun and accepted

so why are (seemingly) a lot of you ERA posters against it in video games? there's no difference whatsoever, it's the same thing as talking trash in sports
Because it is one thing among friends, or in the case with a majority of professional athletes; colleagues, and one thing when you are telling strangers that they fucking suck because they didn't help your team score a point in a casual multiplayer match.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Because it is one thing among friends, or in the case with a majority of professional athletes; colleagues, and one thing when you are telling strangers that they fucking suck because they didn't help your team score a point in a casual multiplayer match.
well I guess it might be semantics, depending how you define colleagues and friends

because not all professional athletes are friends with each other, that's for sure. there are definitely some who genuinely dislike/hate others in their sport

if by colleagues you mean they know each other, ok yeah. but if they dislike each other I don't see any difference with talking shit to random strangers in video games

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
No I have never understood deriving pleasure from taunting, insulting, agitating, depressing, bullying strangers because they're less good than me at some game. People who do that, whether they're racist etc. or not, is why I disable comms. You can do that shit in contexts where the participants have effectively given their go-ahead, not to random strangers in public. That just makes you an inconsiderate asshole.

Last edited:

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
if by colleagues you mean they know each other, ok yeah. but if they dislike each other I don't see any difference with talking shit to random strangers in video games
Would you show up to a pickup game of soccer/football/basketball and start telling your teammates who you just met that they fucking suck?

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Nah, not comfortable of any form of trash talking. Never did it, never do it, will never do it. Even if it's not "personal-based" or racism-related, what you say can still hurt other people, sometimes in ways you can't even foresee or predict, and besides, I'm not the type of person who trashtalk anyways. Would rather say something nice or funny.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
well I guess it might be semantics, depending how you define colleagues and friends

because not all professional athletes are friends with each other, that's for sure. there are definitely some who genuinely dislike/hate others in their sport

Because they are paying money to play a game and not being paid. There is a large difference from those that want to just enjoy a game online without hearing that they are trash at the game and from playing a sport that is their job.

And again, knowing the person is a big part of it.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Would you show up to a pickup game of soccer/football/basketball and start telling your teammates who you just met that they fucking suck?
I'm not a shit talk starter myself, either in video games or real life sports

but I have absolutely seen PLENTY of pick-up basketball games throughout my life where random strangers talked trash to each other

that happens all the time in that sport

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica

To put it simply: in most sports in most scenarios (and definitely not all of them; such as Olympics, little leagues, etc) , the trash talk is consensual and agreed upon, be it formally via rules/code of conduct, or informally via cultural norms. Even in those limited scenarios where it is consensually permitted, there are definitely some rules of decorum that are enacted, like "don't be fucking sexist" or "threats of violence are literally a crime in modern society". There is a *ton* of difference between Michael Jordan hitting Muggsy Bogues with some weapons grade trash talk, and you stammering out some d-grade Andrew Dice Clay covers because your teammate died early.

It's 2019, and being a total butthole because you wanna rage out on a mic because someone isn't as good as you think they should be is the lamest shit imaginable. Far too often, because games are for fun and for most people on earth listening to someone being an angry asshole on a mic isn't fun, people don't really want to deal with trash talkers or the burden of trying to talk trash back.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a shit talk starter myself, either in video games or real life sports

but I have absolutely seen PLENTY of pick-up basketball games throughout my life where random strangers talked trash to each other

that happens all the time in that sport
And how do you feel when the person that is receiving that shit talk didn't start it and is not sniping back?

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Because they are paying money to play a game and not being paid. There is a large difference from those that want to just enjoy a game online without hearing that they are trash at the game and from playing a sport that is their job.
ok well I suppose this point is true, I can't argue against this angle

doesn't bother me personally though

I always find it funny and if someone starts shit, I start fucking with them back and trolling them to get them more mad. usually by doing something to screw up their game and make them lose, lol

Neolombax

Nov 28, 2018

I happen to think it's also stupid to do it in sports.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just straight rippin' into my team or enemies when they're doing bad. I've had it before and It's hilarious when people talk shit to me because It's a beautiful invitation to plug my mic in and talk some shit back.

Talking shit back in Halo 2 days was perfect. Enemy proximity chat worked so well with that game, especially when the played that dies can hear the last 5 seconds from your mic at their corpse's location.

I know a lot of people shun talking shit online because It's bad behaviour, but I'm not talking about personal stuff. No racism, no homophobia, just straight up "You fucking suck" It really makes a game better for me...

This thread might backfire compleeetely in my face, but surely I'm not the only one who's up for some banter?

Don't mind a bit of friendly banter though, perhaps surprisingly, I'm more likely to make fun of my own failures than try to make fun of the enemy team for failing.

I don't think what you suggest you do is banter though, it seems like you foment or are part of the toxicity that is prevalent across many games and makes them immensely worse in my opinion.

If I am wrong about that assumption I apologize, but if I am right you are not special or clever, you are part of a problem.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I can understand if someone doesn't care/like to engage in trash talk, but to act like you're all SO grown up and above it? Please. So when you play sports/board games/cards/ w/e other activities do you just sit there in silence and only compliment good moves?
Leave it up to a gamer to think that the only forms of communication are silence and toxicity.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Trash talking in person? Okay, no problem. Trash talking over the internet? Kinda lame and cowardly. Just my 2 cents, and I say that as someone who talks more trash than most in competitive sports.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trash talk is normal in anything competitive. It could be used in a negative way to get a reaction but most of the time I've seen it is just people messing around. In gaming it's a lot more toxic because I find gamers in general more toxic. I love to talk a little shit here and there in video games. Never to a point where I'm being a jerk though and never cross the line with what I say. At the end of the day, if people get easily offended there's always options to avoid any communication.