• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Im not excusing being a dick, prick. But if im playing and i say you need to practice to get under your skin in a competitive game thats not really being a dick. If you think so maybe go back to your safe space and mute me. Like i said going overboard and insulting people isnt cool. But go ahead and assume what i say.

So you enjoy talking shit to people online but can't take someone on a forum doing something as simple as telling you it's not a nice thing to do?

Telling people they're sensitive does not make you any less sensitive.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Im not excusing being a dick, prick. But if im playing and i say you need to practice to get under your skin in a competitive game thats not really being a dick. If you think so maybe go back to your safe space and mute me. Like i said going overboard and insulting people isnt cool. But go ahead and assume what i say.

giphy.gif

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No and I don't really get people who incense their teammates as if that will make them perform better. In OW it typically spells the end of the match and a waste of the next 15+ minutes for everyone involved.

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
No thank you I've been playing rocket league without text or voice for two years and I've become a better player because of it.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Maybe don't use an incredibly small sample size as the metric for what things were like in arcades back then?

The issue is people like you and OP lacking the self awareness and critical thinking skills to realize that just because THEY have fun being a shitheel to people online doesn't mean that everyone else is having fun listening to it or being the target or even getting to a point where they either don't wanna bother with VC in general or worse, respond and continue the toxicity. Often times it's literally just unprovoked cyberbullying. In short, grow the hell up.

Why is the onus on people just trying to play a game to take shit from anyone? Read the above. Especially the bolded.
Oh please, nowhere did I state that unconditional shit talking that cant be opted out of was a good idea. Thats just your tunnel vision at work there. OPs example right in the beginning involves it being a quid-pro quo scenario, so its an extremely uncharitable view to then try to extrapolate that "everyone else" as you put it must be at the mercy of a person wanting to engage in some banter, and that it would involve bullying. Saying that there can be a place in gaming for shit talking somwhere does not equal saying that cyberbullying is ok. Ironic you talking about critical thinking here honestly.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Im not excusing being a dick, prick. But if im playing and i say you need to practice to get under your skin in a competitive game thats not really being a dick. If you think so maybe go back to your safe space and mute me. Like i said going overboard and insulting people isnt cool. Being told toy suck against an opponemt isnt that big of a deal
That's literally what you're doing, while continuing to be one.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I didnt say professional sports. It happens at all levels. If you cant take some good natured trash talk in a competitive multuplayer game then maybe dont do anything competitive. No one is saying theyre gonna personally insult you, but if you cant take someone saying you suck and laughing when they kill you then maybe its best you just mute everybody

If your "good natured trash talk" goes too far in intramural sports, local indoor soccer etc you'll probably get some cues from others that you're going too far. Be oblivious to cues and keep going and you can probably expect to be asked to not come back.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes if you want that W you gotta play some mind games.

But berating your teammates and/or making racist/phobic comments is definitely way over the line and should never be okay. There's a huge difference between smack talk and offensive comments like that.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Na, sorry, there's no need for trash talk ever. It's never "good natured" because you don't know what impact your words will have regardless of your intent.

Keep that shit between you and your friends.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's only fun if you're creative enough to come up with dumb insults. Calling someone a dweebweed is the epitome of hilarity.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
"I miss the days where we could bully people online and not feel or see any consequences for it. If only the mods of my online service of choice could understand this and unban me."

Oct 25, 2017
You know I was never much of a shit talker, but I do find it hilarious as long as someone isn't crossing some kind of line. I think the only stuff I hear now is on NBA 2K and it's mostly funny shit.

Used to happen to me all the time growing up playing basketball too, I never had the energy for it but I always marveled at dudes who could go out there and kick ass while talking the whole time. Shit was legitimately impressive, I'd be out of breath in one game if I did that.
Granted, that's not really that impressive while someone's doing that while sitting on their couch at home, but hey, you do you.

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing better than the Gears death lobby. God, the hell you had to live through waiting on your teammates with a hostile set of people...lmao. Good times. Lots of friendships formed in that death lobby.

crookedaxis

Oct 27, 2017
i like to talk dumb, as in saying a lot of nonsense garbage that has nothing to do with the game, trying to make people laugh and shit, but i don't like offending others or judging their skills.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely hate it. Hate doing it, hate receiving it. Imo, that shit is only okay between people who have comfortably established that's it's okay to shit talk in competition. When you get matched with someone online, you don't know how people will react or what they're going through or their life experiences and tolerances, and unless you do, shit-talking is just diet harassment.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
Gaming in general has a problem with toxicity, and I think encouraging it is only a net loss to the medium as a whole.

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
Some of the greatest athletes talked shit to their opponents (Ali, Jordan) and it worked for them so I don't see anything wrong with it if you feel like it gives you an edge over your opponents or you just like doing it. I don't see anything childish about it really.

And if I actually playing like dog shit why would someone calling me crap make me angry, they're just telling the truth. Serves as motivation to improve.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Oh please, nowhere did I state that unconditional shit talking that cant be opted out of was a good idea. Thats just your tunnel vision at work there. OPs example right in the beginning involves it being a quid-pro quo scenario, so its an extremely uncharitable view to then try to extrapolate that "everyone else" as you put it must be at the mercy of a person wanting to engage in some banter, and that it would involve bullying. Saying that there can be a place in gaming for shit talking somwhere does not equal saying that cyberbullying is ok.
Toxicity perpetuates and breeds more toxicity. This poster below is right on the mark when it comes to "good natured" toxicity. Good-natured toxicity is STILL TOXICITY

Na, sorry, there's no need for trash talk ever. It's never "good natured" because you don't know what impact your words will have regardless of your intent.
Succinctly put.

Oct 25, 2017
going through the receiving end of trash talk makes you humble, its good for you instead of thinking you're a god among gamerz.

blodtann

Jun 7, 2018
What's the point of berating people? To make you feel better about being a bully? That you somehow are superior? Most people play games to have fun, getting belittled by some punk kinda ruins that part. WOT is one of the most toxic games I have played because of dickheads like this. If you can't fucking contain yourself when playing a game, stop playing it. You are just making the whole gaming community worse.

Then you claim "oh, it's not personal". I'm pretty sure telling someone they suck is personal.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I like to annoy racist and dumb people in random Facebook comment sections, but other than that no. Anytime I play an online game and see that mic icon show up I just put myself in a private party asap. I dont care to hear your snorts and grunts every 10 seconds and how much you hate campers or whatever.

Oct 25, 2017
you haven't lived until a 12 year old lets you know you ain't shit. End up sitting up at night thinking about where you went wrong.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I'm talking about good natured trash talk! Telling people to kill themselves? wtf is that, no, never. jeezus.

You might be talking about friendly ribbing, but the people who are muting vc are talking about the torrents of verbal abuse that have been normalized as "trashtalk" in gaming culture. I don't think it's fair to say people who choose not to participate in what this space has become are deficient or deserve to play alone.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Eh, I think some trash talk is fine in a competitive online game. You can talk shit and still be "cool" about it... playful almost. There's obviously lines that shouldn't be crossed.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Real talk: people who feel a need to trash talk only do so because they're not that good at the game in question

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I should clarify...

I love it when people shit talk to me. I don't see a purpose in doing it to others unless they instigated it or are my friends.

It's always fun seeing some idiot getting riled up over nothing.

Cherry on top if its one of those "jesus kid you suck just quit the game" and then they are the ones that blow it.

Reminds me of people spamming What a Save or Forfeit / gg ez in Rocket League only to get beaten. Few things are more satisfying in online gaming imo.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be curious to see a breakdown of the pro-trash talk vs anti-trash talk people and see what the breakdown of real sports fans are on both sides. I have a hunch that most of the pro-trash talk people are also sports fans, and probably understand that most great professional athletes are massive shit talkers too.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing better than the Gears death lobby. God, the hell you had to live through waiting on your teammates with a hostile set of people...lmao. Good times. Lots of friendships formed in that death lobby.

I'm not a Xbox person, but I do enjoy watching the toxic shit talking between gear pro players. Shit like that just makes the game feel alive! 😌Competitive and Hostile >

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be curious to see a breakdown of the pro-trash talk vs anti-trash talk people and see what the breakdown of real sports fans are on both sides. I have a hunch that most of the pro-trash talk people are also sports fans, and probably understand that most great professional athletes are massive shit talkers too.

i don't think "people also get really psychotic about real life sports" is a good defense of trash talking