• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
This thread was not a good idea, OP. Era is all about superiority complexes, and given even half a chance, they will jump all over you. I get where you are coming from about harmless banter and trashtalking but this just isnt the place to have a good discussion about it.

The OP made a thread where he admits to being a jackass to strangers online for no reason. We're not splitting the atom in the hivemind here.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely feel you there, it's part of the joy of online gaming for me. Lot of baby-ass crybabies in here.
That's my takeaway

You're always being judged, closing your ears doesn't make it go away, people keep judging your skill or lack of skill. If you suck, own up to it. Have fun. Talk some shit. Make a new friend.

Or yknow, plug your ears and play alone like you deserve.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Just straight rippin' into my team or enemies when they're doing bad. I've had it before and It's hilarious when people talk shit to me because It's a beautiful invitation to plug my mic in and talk some shit back.
Thanks for being among the worst parts of playing games I guess.

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
Nope, but I like listen to others talking shit. The conversations can be extremely funny sometimes.

MW2 lobbies were great back then.

May 30, 2018
Yes to shit talking in online games.

Squad/team chats, old CSGO halftime, Survival games/Division proximity chats, ALL chat in competitive games, global MMO chat. It is also amusing when you have two ragers going at each other, either voice chat or text, it was always funny to see two top laners go at each other in LOL chat. And then you can go into the mind games: calming down your own top, or spicing things up for the enemy.

LOL is the only exception

Trashtalking is amazing in LOL. 40 min long beefs are too much lmao

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
I like being nice to everyone and supportive of my team, especially when defeat seems inevitable. Especially in games of Rocket League. I own up if it's my fault, and I'll be nice teammates when it's going south. If you're a dick to me, I'll prove you wrong with my ability. Gotta stomach a lot of abuse and mostly from your own team... The only players I'll chide are those who talk down their own team when they're clearly at fault.

Too many dickheads online already.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I didn't grow up in that scene, but the videos from the old school FGC where people are literally shit-talking in the players ears say otherwise.

I did grow up in it. I also grew up in a time where the only things that were spread via video were the outliers. Videos of people trash talking in arcades were the "holy shit" moments. Not day to day. You were literally more likely to get punched for trash talking.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That's my takeaway

You're always being judged, closing your ears doesn't make it go away, people keep judging your skill or lack of skill. If you suck, own up to it. Have fun. Talk some shit. Make a new friend.

Or yknow, plug your ears and play alone like you deserve.
It's a game, if you can't play without feeling the need to shit on teammates you perceive to be bad then stay away from team games. Rather not make a new friend with someone that's going to shit on me when I'm having a rough match, happy with the ones that have fun regardless.

Literally the mentality that's split more than one clan in games I've played, having some asshole that can't stop shitting on people rage and throw a tantrum if something isn't going well in the game.

Since we seem to be making a distinction between talking shit to randoms and the usual shit talking between friends. The latter I'll do until the cows come home but I'm not going to make someone who likely knows they messed up feel worse for the sake of what, being a dick?

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
You said it's common in sports.

And yes, trash talking in professional sports is different than telling random people online that they suck.

It's not nice? It discourages people from getting better, let alone wanting to play at all? It contributes to a toxic culture?

Do we really need to spell this out?
I didnt say professional sports. It happens at all levels. If you cant take some good natured trash talk in a competitive multuplayer game then maybe dont do anything competitive. No one is saying theyre gonna personally insult you, but if you cant take someone saying you suck and laughing when they kill you then maybe its best you just mute everybody

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This thread was not a good idea, OP. Era is all about superiority complexes, and given even half a chance, they will jump all over you. I get where you are coming from about harmless banter and trashtalking but this just isnt the place to have a good discussion about it.

Considering how OP's been MIA from this thread you're probably right that OP likes to dish it out but can't take it.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Yeah, nothing I love more than having some childish individual hurl insults at me because I don't fit their warped criteria for what is "good" in a game, it really adds to the experience overall and most definitely isn't the reason people still look at "gamers" as a bunch of toxic crybabies.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
I grew out of it. Now days, I really appreciate people who text "gg" like the early 2000's

Oct 25, 2017
It's a game, if you can't play without feeling the need to shit on teammates you perceive to be bad then stay away from team games. Rather not make a new friend with someone that's going to shit on me when I'm having a rough match, happy with the ones that have fun regardless.

Literally the mentality that's split more than one clan in games I've played, having some asshole that can't stop shitting on people rage and throw a tantrum if something isn't going well in the game.

Since we seem to be making a distinction between talking shit to randoms and the usual shit talking between friends. The latter I'll do until the cows come home but I'm not going to make someone who likely knows they messed up feel worse for the sake of what, being a dick?
Wait. What? Shit on teammates? This is about opponents.

Never be shitty to people on your team, they're the ones who are supposed to have your back

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just straight rippin' into my team or enemies when they're doing bad. I've had it before and It's hilarious when people talk shit to me because It's a beautiful invitation to plug my mic in and talk some shit back.

Talking shit back in Halo 2 days was perfect. Enemy proximity chat worked so well with that game, especially when the played that dies can hear the last 5 seconds from your mic at their corpse's location.

I know a lot of people shun talking shit online because It's bad behaviour, but I'm not talking about personal stuff. No racism, no homophobia, just straight up "You fucking suck" It really makes a game better for me...

This thread might backfire compleeetely in my face, but surely I'm not the only one who's up for some banter?
I think its a hot take on Era but I absolutely agree with you.

The best is games that have proximity chat enabled (shoutouts Halo 2). Maybe its because I don't take it seriously but I love messing with people over voice chat. It's incredible in Sea of Thieves too. People will get so mad at you and I just sit there laughing. Not even talking about spawn killing or anything too. I once keg sunk an enemy at a skull fort, and they retaliated by spawn killing me without letting my ship sink. They deff dropped some fgt bombs on me (which, like you said, is not acceptable) but I was just laughing the entire time in game chat trying to ask for a truce.

Or in Rocket League I'll get teammates or opponents that try to trash talk and all I do is constantly spam "BE NICE" in chat.

Sometimes its nice to have a banter with someone. I trash talk with friends all the time, sometimes its fun doing it with strangers too.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I didnt say professional sports. It happens at all levels. If you cant take some good natured trash talk in a competitive multuplayer game then maybe dont do anything competitive. No one is saying theyre gonna personally insult you, but if you cant take someone saying you suck and laughing when they kill you then maybe its best you just mute everybody
"Good natured"

Lmao, coming from the guy telling others they suck to effectively 'lighten up' if they don't like it. Maybe don't play competitive things if you can't refrain from being a dick to people. Instead of excusing being a dick because.. well, I'm not sure.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I enjoyed playing Doom, Marathon and Quake against my co-workers/friends on the office LAN, and all of us yelling shit down the halls at each other. But on the internet playing with random anons, not so much. Less fun to trash talk, less fun to play in general.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I'd argue the people that needs to let other people know that they are bad at games when the are just trying to have fun are the ones with the superiority complex.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on if it's a two way street for me. Won't do it unless they start, but if they start, yeah, rubbing it in their face when you win feels good.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I only do it with idiots.

Once I was playing a heroes of the storm match and I was matched with a very xenophobic chilean. Us, chileans themselves, pretended to be peruvian/argentinian and started mocking the country, it was kinda funny, specially since after the match we revealed to be chileans

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Wait. What? Shit on teammates? This is about opponents.

Never be shitty to people on your team, they're the ones who are supposed to have your back
The OP says both and as you didn't distinguish I didn't read otherwise. Glad you don't shit talk the people on your own team doing poorly at least.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
To my friends in games like Tetris Attack, Smash or PES, sure because we know its a safe environment and we keep it non personal.

Otherwise no man, theres enough toxicity out there in the world. Words matter and can make a person feel bad, not worth it just so you can stroke your ego.

Oct 25, 2017
I think its a hot take on Era but I absolutely agree with you.

The best is games that have proximity chat enabled (shoutouts Halo 2). Maybe its because I don't take it seriously but I love messing with people over voice chat. It's incredible in Sea of Thieves too. People will get so mad at you and I just sit there laughing. Not even talking about spawn killing or anything too. I once keg sunk an enemy at a skull fort, and they retaliated by spawn killing me without letting my ship sink. They deff dropped some fgt bombs on me (which, like you said, is not acceptable) but I was just laughing the entire time in game chat trying to ask for a truce.

Or in Rocket League I'll get teammates or opponents that try to trash talk and all I do is constantly spam "BE NICE" in chat.

Sometimes its nice to have a banter with someone. I trash talk with friends all the time, sometimes its fun doing it with strangers too.
Sea of Thieves is next level joyous to fuck with people in general. A troll's playground. You can have so much fun doing so much weird shit to people.

The OP says both and as you didn't distinguish I didn't read otherwise. Glad you don't shit talk the people on your own team doing poorly at least.

Oh shit. I didn't realize. Yeah I don't shit talk my team - what kind of shitbutt would unless you're doing that with close friends?

Competition though, gloves off. Let's get ridiculous.

DarkShame3

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2019
I'll talk shit (playfully) to friends in games who I have just trounced (assuming they enjoy that kind of banter), but not to strangers.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't grow up in that scene, but the videos from the old school FGC where people are literally shit-talking in the players ears say otherwise.
Maybe don't use an incredibly small sample size as the metric for what things were like in arcades back then?

The issue is people like you and OP lacking the self awareness and critical thinking skills to realize that just because THEY have fun being a shitheel to people online doesn't mean that everyone else is having fun listening to it or being the target or even getting to a point where they either don't wanna bother with VC in general or worse, respond and continue the toxicity. Often times it's literally just unprovoked cyberbullying. In short, grow the hell up.

I didnt say professional sports. It happens at all levels. If you cant take some good natured trash talk in a competitive multuplayer game then maybe dont do anything competitive.
Why is the onus on people just trying to play a game to take shit from anyone? Read the above. Especially the bolded.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

Why would I want to "take" some random person yelling at me when I don't have to? How does that add to my enjoyment of the game?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Not interested in doing this in the slightest. Also I mute everyone so if you are that type of person then you are yelling at the clouds.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
There's absolutely nothing wrong with some classic flexing on someone you just beat in a video game. If they take offence to you laughing at them or using some competitive language (lol) then that's their problem, not mine. I have absolutely no issues with someone calling me shit if they beat me because it's classic bragging rights. Even professional sportsmen take shots at their rivals and sometimes it's in a really harsh way. No one really cares though because that's just how things are and have been for ages. In fact, sports would be so bloody boring if there wasn't huge rivalries between teams or individuals.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
It could be even worse than OP, I have a buddy who makes me watch every goal replay in NHL 19.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
I used to when I was a teenager. Kinda grew out of it but it'll creep back if another person initiates confrontation. Doesn't last very long though

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I mean, call me old school but I really don't get it at all, why would you feel the urge to randomly insult strangers online that you do not know?

Does it really give a person that much satisfaction knowing they are being awful to another human being for no reason whatsoever?

I mean surely it's better to just, you know, behave like an adult and be polite and treat people the way you wish to be treated?

Apparently that's too much to ask for these days in a world where you can play a game like Rocket League and get told to "get cancer" by some fool who thinks anonoymity suddenly gives them the right to behave like a fool.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
User Banned (5 Days): Antagonistic Behavior and a History of Similar Infractions
"Good natured"

Lmao, coming from the guy telling others they suck to effectively 'lighten up' if they don't like it. Maybe don't play competitive things if you can't refrain from being a dick to people. Instead of excusing being a dick because.. well, I'm not sure.
Im not excusing being a dick, prick. But if im playing and i say you need to practice to get under your skin in a competitive game thats not really being a dick. If you think so maybe go back to your safe space and mute me. Like i said going overboard and insulting people isnt cool. Being told toy suck against an opponemt isnt that big of a deal

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's inherently bad to do so, but I feel it's kinda bad sportsmanship to do if your 100% sure the other player is okay with it. Like, if your friends with someone and they know your just joking around, then okay. But if it's a stranger and they're frustrated at the match, then you might just be making an unfun situation for them worse by putting them down.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
If someone rage quits they always get a 'good game you were awesome' message. Someone replied that they had just smashed their pad. Good times.

Tbf, I'm far worse with my close friends. We are absolutely brutal to each other.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
They got bullied and abused, and it wasn't cool then either.

Some of you fucking clowns, I swear.
This is literally

"Guys I know bullying and toxicity is bad BUTTTTTT I enjoy it" the thread.

Take note of what specific people are saying for reference next time we have decide to have a toxicity in gaming thread.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I only tell people they're shit if they start telling other people they're shit.

Otherwise I prefer not to be hostile towards strangers.

Seriously asking here, how anti-social do you have to be to actually think it's a good idea to be rude or randomly hostile towards strangers just because it amuses you? Like you are actually saying you get enjoyment out of taking away from other people's enjoyment? What's wrong with you?

This is why clans always fall apart. Why voice chat on consoles is dead. Because of people like this. Ruining online games for everybody.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

Hm, should the Era policy about personal attacks be rescinded for this thread I wonder. It would certainly help make a point...

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I only talk shit to my squad I know IRL. Everybody else is muted or I don't even speak at all.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
People like you are why I don't bother with online communication anymore unless its with friends/ family. So congrats on being part of the toxic wasteland that so many others left behind.