• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
I don't do it unprovoked and I don't understand why age keeps coming into this? I'm 28, I'm not an aggressive person online or in person. Hell, I haven't been in a fight since I was about 13.

A part of me thinks people think I'm sitting there screaming down the mic telling people to go kill themselves or something. Defending myself doesn't exactly help my case in this sort of thing, but the misconceptions that I'm someone who targets people for no reason really isn't what was supposed to be intended with my first post.
Yea i doubt anyone read the post. Most people read the title and just immidoately jumped to conclusions that youre some asshole whos telling people to kill themselves. Im with you, some good natured trash talk isnt that bad and can be fun. Going overboard is of course too much. Trash talking and getting in peoples heads is actually quite common in sports and such.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have the urge to be an asshole towards people unless they give me a reason, so not really no.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Don't ridicule people. And don't tell people to kill themselves. People love to throw that one out there.

You can call out a teammate for being trash, Just don't insult them. Call them out for being a bad teammate.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Nope.

The hatemail I get is neither funny or inventive. It's mostly low-IQ insults repeated over and over, usually racial slurs, "kid/noob" or a random assortment of swear words in broken English.

Whatever enjoyment I get comes from replying back and winding them up, usually with a sarcastic message punctuated with lots of smiley's.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Best Shit talk war:

Socom 2 - Me and my clanmates was just playing around on this oil liner map and we was wreaking the hell out of the other team(we were a top rated team at the time with two of the best sniper in the game as clan leaders). One guy said that if we played his clan, we would get owned. I told him, go get his clan, same map, new private game. Didn't realize that the tag he had was an Alt tag, and the clan main he was on was a top 5 rated team. But our team was no slouch either. About 7 hours of shit talking and multiple deaths in the sewer system later, we all had a good laugh and became allies.

Best Personal War - Somebody 11 year old was singing Zelda song in chat room on Call of Duty. We asked him to "please stop singing", told us "FU N*****s", didn't realize that my team was all black guys and his team was also all black guys except him. Both sides proceeded to camp him...called everybody the N word in the lobby after the game until his mom came into the room and proceeded to beat his behind for cursing. So much laughter after that...

Skill Challenge: (CoD Advanced Warfare 2)Was playing on my Knifer build and proceeded to clean house. Guy sends me a message on PSN to choose another build instead of knifer because it's the only skill build I can play with and then talks crap on headset before battle. Guy Gets Akimbo Shotgun, I proceeded to use Desert Eagle Pistol Build (no Akimbo), still wipe the room out and ended game with best perk. Got "Fuck you" in chat and PSN message and left the room. Other guy said "I rather you went back to knife build...lol"

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't do it unprovoked and I don't understand why age keeps coming into this? I'm 28, I'm not an aggressive person online or in person. Hell, I haven't been in a fight since I was about 13.

A part of me thinks people think I'm sitting there screaming down the mic telling people to go kill themselves or something. Defending myself doesn't exactly help my case in this sort of thing, but the misconceptions that I'm someone who targets people for no reason really isn't what was supposed to be intended with my first post.
Dude you failed Era purity test, alreadydead.jpg

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I don't tend to shit talk because I never use a mic.

A quick teabag in Halo or a passive aggressive "What a save!" In Rocket League is very satisfying against certain opponents though. Particularly when the other party started it.

Also this thread is hilarious.

Sputnik Sweetheart

FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 31, 2017

From my point of view, I think I just don't really understand? You kinda started it by saying 'Just straight rippin' into my team or enemies when they're doing bad' which makes me think you're going at someone who's already having a hard time? From your follow up responses and what follows I'm guessing you more mean in response so people doing bad and mouthing off at everyone else? Which makes more sense.

But I tend to feel if someone's doing bad there's a chance they're already down over it. Or if it's my own team I don't wanna knock 'em down/risk a rage leaver. No need to make things worse. Aside from that, even people that do light-trash talk, odds are at least one person that gets involved from there is gonna throw a homophobic remark or some dumb shit, at which point I just hope the game is over soon so I can leave. I'd rather not incite to end up with that kinda crap.

I think I'm just far too softhearted, haha.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
If I'm playin' with my buds or it's obvious that my randos wanna vocally shitpost, hell yeah. I'm all about that. Calling eachother assface and being dicks to each other can be a ton of fun. Don't think there's anything wrong with it either.

Of course, though, we aint going to spoil the mood with randoms that we pick up in a group, so we'll keep it to a minimum then. But even in our bantz we've got the hard rules of, y'know... bein' human.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
I'll talk crap with friends but they know I'm just kidding. I don't mess with people I don't know. I don't know their lives or situations and I know I wouldn't enjoy being bashed on by strangers, so I don't do it to others (I don't know).

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
You're part of the reason I have never had a good experience with online gaming.

Your behaviour is propped up by the systems and games services, so your fun is clearly a higher priority than me playing. It's a handy way to flush out certain folk.

I'm pretty okay to play other games.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, but I do enjoy the occasional tea bag. It's amazing that people still get legit angry about it (i.e. angry PSN messages after the game) instead of laughing at the silly thing that it is. Every once and a while you'll get a good sport who will tea bag you back.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I only like talking shit when it's with friends and they're like... right there so they can see I'm just having fun. Doing it with random people online? Not even once.

May 30, 2018
lol me personally, I don't shit talk but I do taunt and tbag when provoked, and only in games that I'm good in so I can back it up

Trash talkers who suck are the worst, I just mute their scrub ass nobody wants to hear their whining

Trash talkers who are legit good though are a different story, shit has me sitting closer to a TV trying my hardest lmao so I can get back at them

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
Not really, I don't like saying anything that's going to make someone else feel shitty. I want a fun, friendly environment. If I ever give bantz it'll be things like, "We'll pretend that didn't happen" when an enemy messes up. It pokes fun without being hostile or insulting, at least I hope so.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was playing GT Sport last night, chillin in a random lobby and two players start talking shit to each other. I didn't even know that was possible in a free run lobby.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Nah, even if I'm doing a game just versus friends I won't.

Online i can imagine it would be horrible, if you can banter back and forth that is great but i can see most either not talking back or just being flat out annoying.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not the act of talking shit per se, but after a bad start, when I get to do a turn around I can't control myself, I have to tell the other team they blew it. If I also got to make a incredible escape I have to go lol in the all chat too.

Also, why are people worried about bullying kids? Isn't gamimng a adult activity?

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Gears of War is that game for me.

It's perfectly possible to rib someone without being a complete jackass about it, and it's perfectly possible to read the room to know how far is too far. But I don't expect anyone on this forum to know that lmfao

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I don't play much online these days. Only really do it with card games IRL. It's usually more banter than trash talk.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
With friends, for sure. With randos? Never, because the purpose of shit-talking with strangers (at least based on what I've personally encountered) is to make the other person/team feel as terrible about themselves as possible because there's no accountability; after you log off, you'll probably never encounter that person again. Because of that, it's no longer about good-natured ribbing like it usually is with friends; it's about being as mean as possible, and being mean isn't my jam. Video games are meant to be fun, not a breeding ground for meanness.

I don't doubt that all of your shit-talking is "above the belt" (if "above-the-belt" shit-talking even exists) and not based in hate or racism, OP. Regardless, people like you are still one of the main reasons why I hardly ever play anything online with randos, and when I do, why muting voice chat is the very first thing I do if I'm playing a game that has it (which in itself is very rare for the above stated reasons).

Nah. Video games are never worth hurting others or having to constantly ward off people trying to be horrible to you. I'd rather just play and have a good time, none of that other shit is necessary to me. Again, though, friends are a different story since the context is different and the shit-talking is being done with people you trust not to take it too far.

There's enough anger and hate in the world already, OP, a great deal of it caused and instigated by the gaming community. Why would you or anyone ever choose to contribute to that? Over something as thoroughly meaningless (in the grand scheme of things) as video games? Here's a thought: try being nice to strangers. Encourage them to get better instead of shaming them when they lose. Spread goodness instead of meanness. It isn't hard. It really, really isn't.

Last edited:

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Not the act of talking shit per se, but after a bad start, when I get to do a turn around I can't control myself, I have to tell the other team they blew it. If I also got to make a incredible escape I have to go lol in the all chat too.

Also, why are people worried about bullying kids? Isn't gamimng a adult activity?

I'm sure you're joking.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Talking smack to random people is childish. Really, after a long day at work I don't feel like being taunted by someone who spends hundreds of hours more than I do playing videogames.

Now joking around with personal friends, where everyone's just having a laugh is fine.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
It's so easy to just be nice to people. I get enough negative energy from my job and bills and world news that I just can't stand people begin negative online.

Even in a competitive game if someone is rubbing my loss in my face or something like that, I just don't get it. I'm playing this game as a way to have fun, not get mad.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yea i doubt anyone read the post. Most people read the title and just immidoately jumped to conclusions that youre some asshole whos telling people to kill themselves. Im with you, some good natured trash talk isnt that bad and can be fun. Going overboard is of course too much. Trash talking and getting in peoples heads is actually quite common in sports and such.

+1

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Sometimes you just have to have a little bit of fun at the enemy's expense.
6E7AA734DC41DCC88B0E8C65BDE7C77EB654A697
Well I think this is pretty clever, funny and harmless. The example of "You fucking suck" in the OP is a far cry from that.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
If there's voice chat, I keep that shit muted. It's dumb enough getting salty messages sent through PSN.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Nope. I usually mute guys like you and ultimately end up mute every in-game chat. It's just so damn relaxing, just enjoying the game without hearing some dudes talking shit.

The only thing I did, as a child/teenager, was setting up binds in CoD 1 like "HEADSHOT!" or "GLÜCKSPILZ" (German for "lucker") with a different color for each letter and stuff like that, but nothing insulting like asshole, fucker, or anything like that.

I just like to play these days.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

It's video games in a non-professional setting against random people.

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
I don't talk trash as I only use a mic if I'm in a party chat with friends but I do like doing some random BM stuff when playing shooters. Teabagging, delaying the bomb defuse until last seconds, emptying my clips on the dead enemies etc. Not sure why but a lot of people get tilted when you do that stuff and it sometimes turns the game around for my team.