• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
...What the fuck is Dracovish even supposed to BE?
882.png

It's a...cut off tail with dinosaur legs and a fish thing at the end?????

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you realize what the gimmick with the fossils this gen is right? They're each the parts of two different animals slapped together

That's fair if you still don't like the end result though

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
An abomination and an actual affront to nature. It's "revived" by a mad scientist and the Pokedex literally says that its existence is pain.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
it's a callback to how old dinosaur fossils used to be haphhazardly thrown together, many of which were displayed in the UK!

If you pay attention, you'll see all the fossil pokemon are just he same 5 parts thrown together incorrectly, and its why all the fossil pokemon look like they're in torment.

OP
OP
Zombine

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you realize what the gimmick with the fossils this gen is right? They're each the parts of two different animals slapped together

That's fair if you still don't like the end result though

Oh, I didn't say I don't like it. I just don't understand it. It's the first time I've legit been stumped by a Pokémon.

OP
OP
Zombine

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
it's a callback to how old dinosaur fossils used to be haphhazardly thrown together, many of which were displayed in the UK!

If you pay attention, you'll see all the fossil pokemon are just he same 5 parts thrown together incorrectly, and its why all the fossil pokemon look like they're in torment.

This is brilliant

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
It's a combination of the Drake and Fish stones. So it's body is a combination of the two things. Pretty self explanatory really.

Kamala

Sep 22, 2019
Oh my god.

Can this become a creepy dex entry thread?

Mimikyu
Its actual appearance is unknown. A scholar who saw what was under its rag was overwhelmed by terror and died from the shock.

A gust of wind revealed what hides under this Pokémon's rag to a passing Trainer, who went home and died painfully that very night.

Bewear
This Pokémon has the habit of hugging its companions. Many Trainers have left this world after their spines were squashed by its hug.

Palossand
Buried beneath the castle are masses of dried-up bones from those whose vitality it has drained.

Each of its grains of sand has its own will. Palossand eats small Pokémon and siphons away their vital essence while they're still alive.

Drampa
If a child it has made friends with is bullied, Drampa will find the bully's house and burn it to the ground.

Pokemon is dark 😬

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I love Dracovish so much.

It's a weird and wonderfully creative abomination. The people who insisted that Gamefreak is running out of ideas prove to be more and more wrong as time goes on.

OP
OP
Zombine

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Xatu

"Xatu stands rooted and still in one spot all day long. People believe that this Pokémon does so out of fear of the terrible things it has foreseen in the future."

Christ.

Nov 23, 2017

This, and in addition to that, the history of British scientists from Darwin's time misleading the world with fake composite fossils knowingly or otherwise. There are quite a few high profile examples of fake missing links and such.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah some of the ugliest and most confusing Pokemon designs are actually pretty inspired when the context behind the design is taken into account.

My favorite Pokemon is Barbaracle and the reason he looks like a mishmash of clawed hands is because the species of barnacles that he's based on looks like... a mishmash of clawed hands. Of note is the fact that all of his limbs have minds of their own, so Barbaracle's 'head' is actually just the biggest and ugliest barnacle of the bunch giving orders to the others

OP
OP
Zombine

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's any coincidence that Wishiwashi sort of looks like real Dunklovish
wishiwashi-school.jpg

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Britain had a long history in misidentifying fossils and putting different bones from different species together and calling it a new species of dinosaur. That's the entire joke around Sword and Shield's fossil Pokemon.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The organs for these swapped mon probably don't even work well for what they actually need.
They definitely don't.

Take Dracovish, for example. Its strong legs allow it to sprint at high speeds for extended periods on land.
You know what Dracovish can't do on land, though?
it can't breathe

Eating food has to suck for Arctovish, considering that its head was put on upside down. That black area on top of its head is its mouth.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Mimikyu
Its actual appearance is unknown. A scholar who saw what was under its rag was overwhelmed by terror and died from the shock.

A gust of wind revealed what hides under this Pokémon's rag to a passing Trainer, who went home and died painfully that very night.

Bewear
This Pokémon has the habit of hugging its companions. Many Trainers have left this world after their spines were squashed by its hug.

Palossand
Buried beneath the castle are masses of dried-up bones from those whose vitality it has drained.

Each of its grains of sand has its own will. Palossand eats small Pokémon and siphons away their vital essence while they're still alive.

Drampa
If a child it has made friends with is bullied, Drampa will find the bully's house and burn it to the ground.

Pokemon is dark 😬

Frankly it's worse than just plain old "dark": the contrast between the Pokemon designs and these entries is some Five Nights at Freddy nightmare fuel. :D

I mean, from your quotes alone, this guy accidentally crushes its trainers to death. This is the face of an accidental serial murderer:
500px-760Bewear.png

And this guy traps and slowly kills its victims:
500px-770Palossand.png

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always love when Pokémon is weird + creepy. The Junji Ito collab was really awesome, wish we got more for recent mons.

images

images

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly it's worse than just plain old "dark": the contrast between the Pokemon designs and these entries is some Five Nights at Freddy nightmare fuel. :D

I mean, from your quotes alone, this guy accidentally crushes its trainers to death. This is the face of an accidental serial murderer:
500px-760Bewear.png

And this guy traps and slowly kills its victims:
500px-770Palossand.png

Kids probably think the lore is amazing

In reality it reads like gibberish most of the time and wouldn't make any sense for kids to be fighting for sport with their collection of dangerous monsters.

Kamala

Sep 22, 2019
Perhaps Drampa is dark...comedy?

Official Pokemon art of Pikachu dying.
Last gen Pikachu is devoured alive by a sandcastle, this gen Pikachu is devoured(or at least an attempt) alive by Cramorant...

I just want to use this as an excuse to post this image.

LMAO I don't know which is better the first panel or Rayquaza's face!

More...

Yamask
Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry.

Of course we have Gengar...

It apparently wishes for a traveling companion. Since it was once human itself, it tries to create one by taking the lives of other humans.

Should you feel yourself attacked by a sudden chill, it is evidence of an approaching Gengar. There is no escaping it. Give up.

Both these seem to tie into People becoming pokemon...