• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Your favourite live action comicbook origin movie?

• Batman Begins (2005)

Votes: 31 29.8%
  • Batman (1989)

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Iron Man (2008)

Votes: 31 29.8%
  • Spider-Man (2002)

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • Wonder Woman (2017)

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Other (post)

Votes: 10 9.6%

• Total voters

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of hate these days, and really, over the past years, for origin movies. But I simply love them, they are my favourite parts of a super hero story.

So in that light I wanted to ask, which ones people enjoy the most. I will include the most popular ones in the poll, but with a "other" option.

71uMbCnPVQL._AC_SY606_.jpg

92b4a64312055fc4ade1e6254835d6bf.png

latest

dcufbt6-d96c9fcc-bd4f-4d56-9882-c027728b6e36.png

spider_man.jpg

402263.jpg

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
if you lived through the trauma of batman and robin then Begins was like... some complete next level shit.

at the time, though (before the comic book movie/"dark/gritty" reboot boom). in retrospect it's just a decent to good movie

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Duh.

Seriously though, Captain America. If only due to how much it surprised me as I was not expecting to like it going in.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Iron Man. I didn't know his origin (or anything about him, really, outside of MvC2), so it was fun to see that.

I don't even know how many damn times I've seen Batman or Spider-Man's origins.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The listed ones are all great, except Wonder Woman.
Batman 1989 is still my favourite. That movie is a true, timeless classic.

Second place goes to Man of Steel. That movie was a visually striking experience - I watched it twice in the cinema. I am legit sad that Zack Snyder doesn't make movies like this anymore. Loved his style.

Watchmen, 300, Sucker Punch - I love them all. Also a reason I still think Batman vs. Superman is a great movie for its visuals alone. That "Batman enters the warehouse" is probably still my favourite action-scene of any superhero movie. I'd love to have a full Batman movie in that style.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Unbreakable

For comic adaptations probably Iron Man. It's a perfect starting point for both the character and the MCU.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I feel like Raimi's Spider-Man was the first media outside of comics to get Parker and MJ right, even though it kind of strayed from the source in a few major ways. Even though McGuire looked like a 30 year old man running around high school, he did seem genuine.

A close second for me would be Batman Begins. I don't think Bale was that great of a Bruce Wayne really, and they downplayed his detective skills and ingenuity. But it was a really good superhero movie that came out at a time when that was still pretty rare.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck? No Superman 1978?

Ironman winning this is ridiculous and is getting a bump thanks to the MCU as a whole because that movie kinda falls apart after the cave escape and a bit of the MKII designing.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iron Man or Batman Begins. I don't count Batman 1989 as an origin film. It skips over the entire....origin. Unless you meant the origin of the Joker.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
That's awesome, these days people hate origin movies from characters they know nothing about. Some characters don't them for sure but I tend to like them.

I'll put my vote in for Iron Man. Only because it was awesome seeing who he is then see who he became a decade later.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to go with The Shadow and then maybe Aquaman but both of those kind of just use the origin as an opening and not as the meat of the film(for the best).

Which leaves me with The Lone Ranger, with Wonder Woman as the only real contender.

Oct 26, 2017
I generally hate them, they're all the same story retold over and over. At least Iron Man had an asshole have his world view changed and went against some conventions.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck? No Superman 1978?

Ironman winning this is ridiculous and is getting a bump thanks to the MCU as a whole because that movie kinda falls apart after the cave escape and a bit of the MKII designing.
Nah not really IMO. I really loved Iron Man back then and I think the whole MCU needed its time to get to this quality again. Iron Man 2+3 and Thor 1+2 were especially bad compared to Iron Man 1.

EDIT: Also want to give the Thomas Jane Punisher a shoutout. Great movie as well and probably the most "origin" movie of the three Punisher movies.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
X-Men First Class deserves a nod for Magento.

Probably Batman Begins or Iron Man for me.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
In my headcanon, the movie Cloak and Dagger is the prequel Origin story for the hacker kid from War Games.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
I love origin movies, too. They're underrated but they often have actual dramatic arcs and character focus.

Spider-Man is probably my favorite, but Superman and TMNT deserve spots since they're some of the best superhero movies ever made.

supermanthemovie.jpg

Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_%281990_film%29_poster.jpg

megateto

Oct 25, 2017
Unbreakable.
I still can recall my amazement as I left the cinema at how good it was as an origins film.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Captain Marvel, really fun and quite different way to unveil her origin :D
The flying and SSJ sequences were the best, felt so fantastical!

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Voted Begins but Iron Man is my close second choice. Those two are so far above everything else on the list.

Also Batman 1989 isn't an origin story.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco