• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
even though we disagree in premise, thats exactly how i feel too. like word for word. sometimes i feel like others put my feelings into words better than i can :)

Oh, I can agree with this. The problem is that before we even knew about Odyssey there was a huge number of people complaining for years about how Mario 64 booted you out of a level when getting a star and wanted a structure more similar to something like Banjo Kazooie or Tooie. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo heard those complaints. Which I think was a mistake. The moons do feel less significant than getting a star or getting to a flagpole because of it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like Odyssey a lot as a one and done, streamlined theme-park ride through a bunch of fun levels. Revisiting them as open spaces though to hoover up collectibles was significantly less fun though.

Odyssey might have one of the weakest soundtracks for a mainline Mario imo, I can really only remember two tracks (Jump Up and that surf rock forest one), especially disappointing after Galaxy and 3D World's numerous bops.
I find Odyssey's OST to be filled with several sublime entries. Steam Gardens is definitely one of the standouts, but New Donk City's jazzy backdrop, Fossil Fall's Galaxy-esque epic, Cap Kingdom's serene waltz, and lest we forget the GOAT, Bubblaine

Fitting we're in summer right now, since this is the perfect summer sound.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I find Bowser's Fury really fun and well made, maybe being a part of a remaster has foreshadowed its sucess.

FLpiNc4XMAs-skK

FLpiNeCWYAMuwzM

OP
OP
nogoodnamesleft
Oct 25, 2017
I find Odyssey's OST to be filled with several sublime entries. Steam Gardens is definitely one of the standouts, but New Donk City's jazzy backdrop, Fossil Fall's Galaxy-esque epic, Cap Kingdom's serene waltz, and lest we forget the GOAT, Bubblaine

Fitting we're in summer right now, since this is the perfect summer sound.

see theres nothing wrong with these tracks in fact they are quite nice, but just background sound to me. i totally forgot about them until you posted them too

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey just isn't challenging enough, it's a great game besides that.

gr8kamon

Oct 30, 2017
Every Mario is amazing to me. I haven't played a single one on release (that I was alive at release) that wasn't an absolute joy to play. I was eleven when Sunshine came out so I even enjoyed that at release. I've come to realize me mistake lol

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I can agree with this. The problem is that before we even knew about Odyssey there was a huge number of people complaining for years about how Mario 64 booted you out of a level when getting a star and wanted a structure more similar to something like Banjo Kazooie or Tooie. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo heard those complaints. Which I think was a mistake. The moons do feel less significant than getting a star or getting to a flagpole because of it.

The moons feel less significant because they are less significant by design, isnt just the booting you out of level thing. SM64 had six stars per level (and an extra for 100 coins), worlds in odyssey can easily have 30+. There are even "multi-moons" that makes it even more clear a singular moon is not supposed to be a big thing (and the several inconsequential ways of finding them like just buying or buttstomping random spots settles it). You may like it or not (i don't) but i dont think it was nintendo changing things up due to complaints and more something they wanted to do from the get go.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
personally I think Mario 64 would be improved if I didn't have to climb all the way to the top of Tall Tall Mountain four or five times

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Odyssey suffers from bloat. Too many kingdoms and too many power moons. The core content that's there is very fun and the controls/moveset are the best ever for 3D Mario.

The Galaxy games are tighter experiences, of course.

I think there should be a different system going forward. The "booting you out of the level" thing was kind of annoying in Galaxy 2 with the green stars. At the same time, Odyssey's power moons weren't always that satisfying to find.

Maybe there should be "main stars" that are the main goals of the levels, and sub-stars which you can collect to make a main star. You only get booted for the goal stars and nothing else.

Last edited:

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
I also found Odyssey a little lackluster in the challenge department and had a hard time staying engaged with it.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hate whenever Mario is placed in a real-world scenario (same with Sonic). So yeah, Odyssey didn't jive with me either.

Bowser's Fury looks great though. Definitely going to play that at some point.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Opposite for me. I loved both Galaxy 1 and Odyssey initially, went back to Galaxy 1, couldn't do it. The lack of expressive movement and the slower pace really makes it feel boring coming off of Odyssey and even Sunshine. I never loved Galaxy 2 and consider it a worse game than Galaxy 1 even though 2 is technically better.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, odyssey was missing something. Some of the areas felt unfinished. Also didn't care for how the levels didn't have a cohesive design

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey is absolutely my favorite Mario game. The Galaxy games don't come close

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The moons feel less significant because they are less significant by design, isnt just the booting you out of level thing. SM64 had six stars per level (and an extra for 100 coins), worlds in odyssey can easily have 30+. There are even "multi-moons" that makes it even more clear a singular moon is not supposed to be a big thing (and the several inconsequential ways of finding them like just buying or buttstomping random spots settles it). You may like it or not (i don't) but i dont think it was nintendo changing things up due to complaints and more something they wanted to do from the get go.

Maybe you're right. Thinking about it more I do remember reading an interview where Koizumi did state that they added so many moons because the Switch is a handheld. So the idea seemed to be that they wanted you to be able to grab a few moons in a very short play session. This is probably why Odyssey is the only 3D Mario game that doesn't require you to get every collectible to unlock the super-secret final challenge level. I don't think they expected most players to even get them all. But having many of them seemed to be the goal to have the game more fitting for the Switch when portable.

But yeah they do feel less significant all the same. I don't mind it too much but even I got burned out a bit by even the 500th moon.

personally I think Mario 64 would be improved if I didn't have to climb almost all the way to the top of Tall Tall Mountain four or five times

The solution to that would have been to have a better-level design instead. The levels from Mario 64 that have this issue the most are tacked in the later half of the game. I think they were running out of steam when it comes to designing the levels. You can't really approach a star from many angles in the later levels like Rainbow Ride is just an over-glorified side scroller. lol

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
The moons feel less significant because they are less significant by design, isnt just the booting you out of level thing. SM64 had six stars per level (and an extra for 100 coins), worlds in odyssey can easily have 30+. There are even "multi-moons" that makes it even more clear a singular moon is not supposed to be a big thing (and the several inconsequential ways of finding them like just buying or buttstomping random spots settles it).

I don't think this is really true. There are throwaway stars in M64, as well, but they don't cause all of the starts to blur together as a result. Allowing each star to be a specific objective, with the world tailored around it and a return to the hub after the objective has been met, just inherently gives more weight to each of them. It makes the game feel more structured, and each challenge purposeful and handcrafted.

Bowser's Fury is a much tighter experience than Odyssey, but it has the same exact problem. It just sort of feels like an aimless Easter egg hunt, which pre-Odyssey Mario games never did. The games are great regardless, but I do think this particular decision has introduced some problems.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I replayed Odyssey recently and it's still brilliant in my eyes.

I get that some find it a bit unfocused or a bit too collectathon-like, but that's a big reason why I liked it so much. It gives you a reason to explore every inch of each level. And some of the moons are hidden in really clever places.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think this is really true. There are throwaway stars in M64, as well, but they don't cause all of the starts to blur together as a result. Allowing each star to be a specific objective, with the world tailored around it and a return to the hub after the objective has been met, just inherently gives more weight to each of them. It makes the game feel more structured, and each star purposeful and handcrafted.

Bowser's Fury is a much tighter experience than Odyssey, but it has the same exact problem. It just sort of feels like an aimless Easter egg hunt, which pre-Odyssey Mario games never did. The games are great regardless, but I do think this particular decision has introduced some problems.

The most inconsequential star on Sm64 is still miles more well thought out than "walk into this store and get one". The only 1:1 comparison would be the ones in the castle where you talk to the toad and just get it. which are like two? i might me misremebering though. even the other secret stars on the castle require you thinking a little bit outside the box/doing something.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey is the best 3D Mario game for me.

I felt things playing that game that I hadn't felt since playing Sunshine for the first time.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this is really true. There are throwaway stars in M64, as well, but they don't cause all of the starts to blur together as a result. Allowing each star to be a specific objective, with the world tailored around it and a return to the hub after the objective has been met, just inherently gives more weight to each of them. It makes the game feel more structured, and each star purposeful and handcrafted

Mario 64 only alters the world for a tiny handful of stars, and even less that alter it in a way that's not just "we didn't spawn this NPC" when you pick a specific star. Part of 64s strength is not being tied down like that really. Sunshine is much worse for this, where you can do everything you would have needed to for a shine but you can't have it because you're on the wrong menu option

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
I have not but I shouldn't have to rely on post game content.

I'll check it out though one day.

The main quests of 3D Mario platformers are usually pretty easy, they always up the ante in the postgame. I think Odyssey's postgame is a standout amongst the other ones in the series both in the sheer amount of content and creativity

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
The complaints about lack of platforming challenges in Odyssey don't really ring true to me when Mario himself has the most robust platforming moveset in the series.

Yes, you can ground pound your way to collecting some moons. But the heights of the platforming challenges and abilities in Odyssey are some of the best of the series, especially compared to Galaxy which stripped so much from Mario's moveset. That especially becomes apparent when comparing both game's post-credit content.

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
The most inconsequential star on Sm64 is still miles more well thought out than "walk into this store and get one". The only 1:1 comparison would be the ones in the castle where you talk to the toad and just get it. which are like two? i might me misremebering though. even the other secret stars on the castle require you thinking a little bit outside the box/doing something.

The complaints about buying moons are weird to me. It's completely optional, and exists only to make it easier for people to progress. Given Nintendo's shaky record with accessibility, I think features like this should be welcomed.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely loved it at the time. Felt like pure joy distilled into video game format.

It probably doesn't hold up as well on replay though, as a lot of the surprises won't be nearly as exciting or surprising.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Odyssey has the best movement in any 3D platformer ever

Game controls like a dream, it's fantastic for that reason alone

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
does that somehow cause the shitty stars in sm64 to not exist

does three shitty stars in SM64 make 119 shitty moons better?

The complaints about buying moons are weird to me. It's completely optional, and exists only to make it easier for people to progress. Given Nintendo's shaky record with accessibility, I think features like this should be welcomed.

i already addressed that

Theres no joy in going back to a world to buttstomp the flashy box or buy a moon on a store. I can respect them being there for less skilled players and am not advocating for their removal, but that doesnt personally make me like them better.

the post was in response to someone saying UHHH WELL SM64 HAD SHITTY STUFF TOO. but it obviously was a very smaller amount of them (which is obvious because there are far less stars to collect to begin with). point is the proportion of the ones you need to actually have any involvement with the game is higher anyway. even having to run around the boo in the garden, while prety easy, is still more involved than "just buying it"

Skies

Oct 25, 2017

100% agree.

It's a design choice to provide beginner players with less roadblocks to progress through the story. Mario Odyssey has 999 moons so there are still plenty to obtain for higher level players that actually provide the Mario challenge that veterans of the series would be looking for.

Oct 25, 2017
I adored Odyssey. I can agree that it's less fun to 100% than previous games, but I don't mind that too much. It's kinda like Starfield's 1000+ planets: the moons are there if you want 'em, but you don't need 'em to have a good time.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
i thought it had so much fun and charm! felt like there was a moon around literally every corner and seeing what new gimmick would be on the next lvl and new outfits was a great loop

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Odyssey is fun, creative, funny, and full of platforming challenges. It's also the best controlling 3d Mario yet. Sorry you don't enjoy it, OP. You're missing out on a great Mario adventure.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
the point i edited right after on the same post because i knew someone would say GOTCHA YOU TALK TO A TOAD AND GET A FREE STAR LMAO PWNED? sure thing
oh right, I forgot you're supposed to go back and reread every post you've ever replied to to make sure it hasn't been edited after the fact

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
i already addressed that

Not really. Buying the moons is completely separate from the throwaway moons that are scattered around the worlds. You aren't organically met with them throughout the game, you have to deliberately go to a vendor and purchase them. They're not required to advance the game. If I recall correctly, they're only required for 100%, because you can't get to 999 moons without buying some of them. You say you aren't advocating for their removal, yet you've complained about them in nearly every post you've made here. I just can't imagine why anyone would be bothered by their inclusion.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Not really. Buying the moons is completely separate from the throwaway moons that are scattered around the worlds. You aren't organically met with them throughout the game, you have to deliberately go to a vendor and purchase them. They're not required to advance the game. If I recall correctly, they're only required for 100%, because you can't get to 999 moons without buying some of them. You say you aren't advocating for their removal, yet you've complained about them in nearly every post you've made here. I just can't imagine why anyone would be bothered by their inclusion.

Exactly because they're required for 100%. If the game had 500 moons and you could buy all 500 on place of taking one of them away from somewhere else you couldnt get it, no issue there. But if you want to fully complete the game, you need to buy them, there's no way around it. I'd rather have less moons but all of them being better planned while still offering the chance of someone who can't get them for whatever reason to just pay and get them than to have them as part of the 100% from the start as design. Its that simple.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
I played and beat the shit out of Odyssey and agree wholeheartedly that it had too many moons. The best movement that I've ever had the pleasure to control in a platformer, but a lot of the moons would have been better off as "star piece" missions where you get a fraction of a moon for doing some of the easier tasks like watering a plant or solving a small puzzle. I never really felt like I was starting a course and at the end there would be a reward, but rather navigating thru an overworld and just getting random rewards as I turned over rocks.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I find with Mario games that if I don't play it to completion it is probably more of a me not having quality time to play games thing than a Mario thing. I have gone back to games like Galaxy 1&2 and enjoyed it immensely. I really liked Odyssey but finished it pretty quickly. Never got 100%, though.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't care for Odyssey either, it's the only Mario game I've ever traded in.

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
Exactly because they're required for 100%. If the game had 500 moons and you could buy all 500 on place of taking one of them away from somewhere else you couldnt get it, no issue there. But if you want to fully complete the game, you need to buy them, there's no way around it. I'd rather have less moons but all of them being better planned while still offering the chance of someone who can't get them for whatever reason to just pay and get them than to have them as part of the 100% from the start as design. Its that simple.

I mean fair enough, I agree they shouldn't be required for 100%. But that's such a minor issue, and their presence otherwise is a good thing, I think, for the added flexibility it offers players.