• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Wx7ujJR.jpg

I can play King of Fighters '94, Deadly Premonition, Grim Fandango, Stunt Race FX, Titan Quest, and Catan on my Switch, but not the Capcom vs. SNK 2 aka the greatest 2D fighter ever? EVER. No, this isn't a "Put it on the Switch thread" (though put it on the Switch), because you'd think there would be a PS4 version to satisfy us but nope, even the beefy boy is being ignored. Oh wait maybe it's on Steam... oh no... Xbox? You there, Phil? The last release of CvS2 was a PS2 emulation for PS3 in 2012 in Japan and 2013 in NA, which was criticized for input lag due to emulation.

Where is this game? Why can I play Street Fighter 1 on modern day consoles but not this? Is it because of contracts? Two company's IPs are involved so it is more complicated than just slapping an old game onto new hardware, but they can't work something out? ANYTHING?

If you've never played this game, let me break down it's greatness:

+Godlike roster
Ix6NHvN.gif

In crossover games, you want a big roster, and this game had over 40 fighters to choose from. And this is not just Street Fighter vs. King of Fighters either. There are a lot of interesting deep dives and obscure picks. Rival Schools, The Last Blade, Darkstalkers, Samurai Shodown, and Final Fight (which isn't even a fighting game) are all represented in some way. A samurai can fight a succubus, this can happen.

+Six games in one
Dude: So what does this play like?
Capcom: Yes

The game's defining feature is the groove system. This isn't just giving you a different super, it completely changes how you play. You are essentially picking what fighting game system you want to engage in. Do you want to use custom combos like SFA3? A rage meter like Samurai Shodown? Wanna parry and do your best Daigo impression? You can do it all and more. These grooves are not locked to characters either, you can play Chun Li as if she were in KoF 98. It's a ton of fun to mix and match styles to see which grooves suit which characters. How many do you think they put in? Two? Three? SIX.

+Unique Team Customization
Some people love team fighters, some people prefer the pure 1v1 experience. No matter which you want, CvS2 has features to suit you. The game has a ratio system of four points that you allot to your fighters. The more points a fighter has, the stronger they are. You can have a 2-2 tag, a 2-1-1 KoF style team, or hell just put four points into your main. If this is too confusing, you can just ignore it and not use any ratios at all! You do you.

+Some of the best character art ever
Fighting game characters have to look cool. If you're not cool, what are you doing? Capcom wasn't pulling any punches and got Kinu Nishimura AND Shinkiro to do character art for every character. WORLDS ARE COLLIDING. They are splashed all over the game, giving it an incredibly distinctive look. If you ignore everything I wrote and just want to spam CvS 2 art I don't blame you.
POi3wfa.jpg

7mNZJHE.jpg

sQSAr6U.jpg

The game definitely has its critics. Some don't like the poor balance and clashing sprites. Fair criticisms for sure, but the game is incredibly fun if you just want to smack people around with cool moves and characters.

It never got a sequel, but SNK took a shot with SVC Chaos. That game got creamed in the reviews, but it still has a following. Many want CvS3, but you know they would just put a bunch of modern gameplay mechanics in it (ewwwwww). I would take a rerelease of CvS2 on current consoles/PC first. They don't need to add much to be honest, I'd be down for a prettied up version of the console ports. Keep color edit mode in.

One day...

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
The best use of art design swap ever in a game. The SNK characters in opposite style were god tier.

Who cares if it was unbalanced, I loved it.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
The GOAT crossover game, never reached again. SMash might have a big roster, but the groove system is just incredible.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
This does seem like quite an oversight considering how port-happy both Capcom and SNK have been this generation.

Maybe give their Twitter accounts a try? We could really get some traction on it.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite fighting game bar none. I have a distinct memory of picking this up on PS2 the same day I picked up FFX.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
User Warned - Thread Whining
Another port begging thread? Come on. Can we stop with the need to play old games on current systems?

Nov 1, 2017
This is almost definitely down to Capcom. There is a perfectly fine Xbox version out there that could no doubt be excellently emulated on Xbox 1 but Capcom is so miserly with allowing their stuff to become BC that they are probably saving it for when they inevitable bother to do a cheap port DMC style. There's a whole bunch of Capcom games stuck on previous gens that could easily be BC but yeah. I bought the Darkstalkers collection on 360 thinking I was supporting that franchise and there is no valid reason why they kept it off the BC list so here we are.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
People have to understand that crossovers are more likely to be stuck in time than not since it is harder to port than most

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Is it weird that I really liked the simplicity of CvS1? The way the characters were tiered by default felt really interesting.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Considering the overlap with both Capcom and SNK moving back and forth over the years in terms of employees, the idea may have been considered.

For example a good portion of the staff that developed KOF XIV were former DIMPS who did work on Street Fighter IV, alongside the battle planner.

Capcom was willing to re-release the entire Street Fighter catalog as part of the 30th anniversary, that makes sense as it was entirely their own work. A re-release of a cross over game does come with it's own licensing issues. Unless SNK was somehow burned working with Capcom, I don't foresee any difficulty on how they could make a modern re-release much along the lines of 3rd Strike: Online Edition, or the Capcom Beat'em Up bundle.

I'd definitely like to replay any of the Dreamcast and PS2 era Capcom fighters today, Capcom Vs. SNK 2 isn't an exception to this.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Capcom vs SNK 2 and Marvel vs Capcom 2 are still the GOATs.
They both need to be available on modern consoles.

I never was a huge vs fighting player. But those two games (and Smash) have always been my jam. They looks so good, they're fun as heck, and even begginers can do some crazy looking combos.

I do like to play some Garou from time to time, but CvsSNK 2 and MvsC 2 are the most fun for me.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Best fighting game ever.
Best roster ever, even rock howard is there.

Capcom we need this shit now, as a collection (1, 1.5, 2), as a standalone port, as a remaster, as whatever, just release it.

The only thing that i hated was the stages, i love my 2d stages and they went with Mvc2 3d stages, which look ugly.

My dream: Capcom vs Snk 2 remaster which includes all the stages of 1&2.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can play so many modern and classic Capcom fighters online with good netcode, the dream is complete!

*Wakes up*

Fuck.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Is it weird that I really liked the simplicity of CvS1? The way the characters were tiered by default felt really interesting.
I prefer the original CvS, as well. The tier system was pretty flawed, but I preferred the four-button attack controls and the simplicity of the grooves. Also, I thought the presentation in CvS was better.

CvS also managed to kill my interest in Street Fighter Alpha 3, as the addition of rumble to each hit in CvS just made SFA3 just feel really bland in comparison.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Count me in, though i like SNKvsCapcom more, especially the NeoGeo pocket one, is one of the best portable fighting games ever.
This one is just gorgeous though,and lots of characters.
I think a new installment could be really great.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
This is the one for me. Will this ever get rereleased? I'd buy it in a heartbeat

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
I got this second hand on the PS2 back in the day.

Definitely the (non-Smash) fighting game I spent the most time and had the most fun with.

Now I kinda want to put it on and my PS2 is lying in my mother's house in a different country...

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
Was just playing the GC version the other day and was wondering the same thing. A crossover bundle would be a licensing nightmare, but a fans dream come true. I wish Jojo also wasnt lost to licensing...

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
It's really unfortunate, I have to resort to emulation if I want to have some tuna with bacon.

I really hope they bring this game to modern platforms too, it's one of the best fighting games ever.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
For now we should be satisfied with Geese vs. Akuma in Tekken 7 and Ryu/Ken vs. Terry in Smash Ultimate

(I'm sure CvS3 will happen one day though)

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interestingly, if this were to ever be ported, it would likely be done by a western studio and we'd get rollback netcode.

What makes you say that? They stopped doing that during the PS3/360 era with marvel vs Capcom 2, 3SO, and Darkstalkers.

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection has worse Netcode then those games. =/

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
What makes you say that? They stopped doing that during the PS3/360 era with marvel vs Capcom 2, 3SO, and Darkstalkers.

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection has worse Netcode then those games. =/
Well now I'm confused. Someone told me that game has rollback netcode. It didn't feel like it when I briefly played it online but I trusted their judgement.

They should go with Code Mystics anyway but they likely won't.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hated the casting and the system.

Basically, I don't like how the game Street Fighter vs KOF, plus Morrigan/Kyôsuke/Haômaru/Nakoruru/Hibiki. I would have been fine with a straight "SF vs KOF" with interesting picks, or with a full "Capcom vs SNK" cast, like the NGP game was, or SvC Chaos to a lesser extend. As the game stands, I don't think these 5 characters really represent the non-SF/KOF side of the makers.

For example, I really hate Chang/Choi. I like both characters in KOF, but that character barely plays like either of them. It's an interesting concept if the game had been SF vs KOF, and they wanted to integrate this very SNK-like character style without adding Nakoruru or Galford. But since Nako is there, what's the point of wasting these two characters like that? Adding Galford would have been preferable.
Haômaru and Hibiki also annoy me, bringing a katana to a fistfight. Hibiki at least is an interesting character, but we really didn't need another projectile-antiair character. Anyone would have been preferable to Haômaru : Hanzô, Basara, Kim Suil, Chonshu, Tung, Hotaru, Gatô... Again, the NGP game had the great idea of picking Akari for the Last Blade rep, a weird character that doesn't play like anyone, and also doesn't fight with a katana against bare-handed people.
These aside, the KOF side has, in itself, the issue of having too many characters that just HAVE to be there, which doesn't leave many available slots for surprise picks. I think Vice and Rock were the two most interesting choices... I hate that the KOF grappler type isn't represented, be it Daimon, Shermie/Clark, or even someone weird like Jubei Yamada. K' and Kula not being there is unfortunately understandable, though a K' vs Alex fight at the time would have been amazing. Honestly, if the game had been SF vs KOF and the cast had had CYS, Chizuru and K', the SNK side would have been close to perfect.

The Capcom side is a disaster, with the entire SF2' cast, and Yun being the only representative of SF3 (with Yang added for no good reason). And even then, I would have even prefered Dee-Jay over reusing Morrigan's old sprite, and not giving her anything interesting to do in this game. To think one of the characters they had thought of as a Vampire representative was human Gallon... Eagle and Kyôsuke were the only two good picks on the Capcom side, though Eagle is mostly "we didn't have room for Mister BIG, so we're adding him on the Capcom side".

As for the system, I hated the ISM system in SFZero and I hate the groove system here. System choice can be good on paper, but it almost always end up with one system being immensely better than any of the others, and the others being a waste of design space. I'm more bothered by the lack of balance between the grooves than by the lack of character balance.

Ah, and finally, they really should have added the backgrounds of CvS1. The lack of stages becomes annoying after a while, especially with how bland a lot of them are. No character theme is also a tragedy.

CvS2 is Missed Opportunity: The Game.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Capcom can't release it without reacquiring a license from SNK, maybe.

I sure would enjoy a collection with both games.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's rollback, but it's Capcom's suckass implementation of it.

My original post said -good- netcode lol.

Jaded Alyx's original post said rollback, tho. :p

It likely would have rollback, but whether or not it'd be any good.../shrug lol

Still, it'd be better than how we have to play the game now which is...through dolphin. Also, I wonder if we would get vanilla or EO.