• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
IX has a strong opening, and I absolutely loved the way it which it slowly peeled back the layers so you get a gradual reveal of the larger stakes at play, almost chapter by chapter. I know that people bemoan the back half of the game, but its plot is much stronger when you think back on the initial stages of the game from a holistic viewpoint. I think what people don't like is that the beginning has a slapdash, motley kind of feel to it as our plucky band of misfits evade the Queen and her soldiers, but then turns into interplanetary warfare in Disc 3 & 4. But the way it all fits together ... *chefs kiss*. I love FFIX.

Sesto

Sep 16, 2020
I agree, what makes FF IX one of the best games is the opening or the first CD, it is so packed with emotions and the presentation is trully an artistic masterpiece.
As a child I played that opening so many times through my head. CD3 and CD4 lose a bit of that magic sadly.

Honestly I don't want them to remake FF IX, the remake will in no world match the original. What I wish is a prequel covering the Lindblum wars or even a spin off with some of the Tantalus members. Just give me back the world of FF IX lol

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
FF9 is definitely the best.
But god, I wish they didn't make it mandatory to win that dumb card tournament. Completely stopped my recent play through.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
It is damn good. The strongest cast the series has had so far.

It pulls a main party member death at the end, same as VII, but it's a much more thoughtful event—it's a shame the moment isn't remembered the same way as VII's.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
But god, I wish they didn't make it mandatory to win that dumb card tournament. Completely stopped my recent play through.
I'm pretty sure I've never won the card tournament once in all of my playthroughs. You just need to make it to the Finals about going through two dumpster opponents.

Nov 1, 2017
I just finished FF9 recently by sheer fluke as it was the one PS1 Final Fantasy i hadn't played. Great music and generally a fun setting that's quite refreshing after some of the edgy-ness from 7 and 8 but I have some... complaints. I never got why Vivi was there at the beginning in the first place and pretty much the fact that he just randomly gets involved with plot shenanigans of Zidane et al was a bit clumsy. None of the other characters really go "Wait, who are you and why are you tagging along?". Also FF9 has a case of some really strong characters and then some incredibly weak ones. Zidane is fine, if a little gross in the way he seems to want to fuck everyone in disc 1. Dagger i think has a good arc and Vivi is of course a wonderful character despite the clumsy way he is initially shoehorned into the narrative. But Steiner is just one note, Quina and Amarant are beyond terrible and the less said about the little six (!!!!) year old girl who's one character trait is thirsting after Zidane the better (again, she is fucking six, that shit is grim and would not fly in this day and age unless the game in question is a Fire Emblem game).

The game also pulls my most hated RPG trope ever quite a few times: The unwinnable battles. After the third (or fourth? I legit lost count) time i had to lose to Beatrix i wanted nothing more than a proper fight against her where i could beat the absolute shit out of her. And of course when she briefly is controlled she is suddenly much weaker than in boss form. Kuja pulls this stunt a few times too along with the double whammy of "I have defeated the protagonists and could easily finish them off but i shall let them live because reasons" cliche.

The whole endgame souls plotline reminded me a little bit too much of FF7's lifestream and Garland was a bit meh. I feel like the first two discs are the game at its best and it kind of loses the magic it had towards the end. I was not a fan of there suddenly being a new final antagonist that the game pulled out of its arse right at the last minute. I also can't get over how stupid the whole "Zidane trying to rescue Kuja at the end" thing was. Kuja has been an irredeemably evil piece of shit responsible for countless deaths and general destruction throughout the entire game and IS GOING TO DIE ANYWAY so Zidane feeling the need to pointlessly go after him just made me legitimately angry. And of course Zidane doesn't die, instead he feels the need to wait a year and then re-emerge as part of some elaborate stage production like the world's biggest drama queen which is played off as some sort of sweet and magical moment when in actual fact Dagger should be like "Excuse me, you let me believe you were dead for a year, get absolutely fucked you psycho".

This isn't related to the quality of the game itself but I gotta say, the recent ports to all the modern systems is a bit of a travesty. I do not like the mobile friendly menu's being used for the console ports, the game has some inexplicably long loading times and of course the common problem with the PS1 ports with the ugly backgrounds contrasting terribly with high rez menus/character models/etc. I would also like to get a hold of the person who was in charge of the achievements and give him or her a giant slap in the face for the "Jump 1000 times with Vivi" achievement. Fuck off with that tedious shit.

All in all I'd rate FF9 higher than 8 but 7 still has my heart when it comes to the PS1 FF's.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
One of my favorite openings to a game. It's kind of everything you want in an opening, immediately gets you hooked in on the adventure.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
RyanG whenever I play FFIX I age each character by 10 years in my mind. I think it's got the best script of the PlayStation final fantasy games, but could have used just a bit more refinement.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Such a wonderful Final Fantasy, full of charm through its writing and it's art style. Yes it does go off the rails a bit at the end but I didn't mind at all. First 2/3 of the game is some of the best pacing ever for me.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
The one weakness in FF9s story for me is the Mist. There's never any sense of how the Mist impacts people's lives. It just feels like a nothing plot element until the Iifa tree.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
My favourite game of all time and I would loathe a remake in the style of FFVIIR, as has been suggested. I think the simple act of giving them a voice would ruin a significant amount of the charm for me.

FFIX almost had a Disney-like feel, only a bit more mature. It had that certain magic. The characters were so well designed, the soundtrack was so on point, the locations were perfect with their own personalities... Just, chef kiss!

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
I tried getting into this game three times already, and while I liked the beginning I always dropped it somewhere at the beginning of disc 2. Seems like I need to try again sometime.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played ff9 again and man do i feel that out of the 8 characters you get, 3 of them are non important in the scheme of things (Amarant (should have just been a repeating boss fight and Beatrix filling this slot), Quina (... just felt too optional and not really fleshed out) and here's one that people get up and arms about. Freya... (Practically dead in story relevance for 2 disks/ halfway into disk 2)

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
I'm pretty sure I've never won the card tournament once in all of my playthroughs. You just need to make it to the Finals about going through two dumpster opponents.
I think you're only required to win one match, and the opponent AI is incredibly bad. Winning the tournament outright gets you a great add-on, though.

Oh man, sweet. I dunno how I didn't remember this, but thanks guys! Time to get back to my playthrough! :D

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I would love to see an interpretation of this world and story on next gen. While not my favorite of the final fantasy's, absolutely my favorite presentation. So much style, visual creativity and character in the artwork.

OP
OP
sfortunato

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I agree that some characters don't have a good development arc and feel half-baked (Amarant, specifically) and the plot looses a bit at the end but still overall the game is fantastic in building the world scenario and in developing the story.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
The way the game begins is masterfully done.
It hooks you from the title screen, so even if you wanted to play another game, you just can't... you MUST know what the hell is going on.

The first character I fell in love with was Steiner. He made me laugh till my sides hurt... over and over. <3

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
the simple nature of FFIX story compared to the overtly complex lore of VII is probably the major reason why it draws me so into it making it one of my favorite FFs. The game has heart and the characters are so loveable and like you said OP, the way the story unfolds and with new ways the rag tag party was introduced made the game feel fresh throughout the journey.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The second half of the game still has amazing sections like the return to Treno and Alexandria, You're not Alone, Branbal, Dagger regaining her voice, the super strong ending, and a beautiful final dungeon. The only weak-ish part would be the desert palace and Ipsen castle stuff that felt a bit disconnected from the rest

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love everything about the game so yeah

Sometimes I wish S-E gave the same level of attention to IX as they give VII but then I see stuff like the compilation and Sephiroth post the original game and I'm happy they don't fuck with the game's legacy

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I love everything about the game so yeah

Sometimes I wish S-E gave the same level of attention to IX as they give VII but then I see stuff like the compilation and Sephiroth post the original game and I'm happy they don't fuck with the game's legacy
Exactly lol. Attention is a double edged sword.

OP
OP
sfortunato

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

I think those games need at most to be ported without too many changes. I'd avoid spin-offs or sequels honestly. FFIX was great because of the chemistry in the development team who can't be reunited anymore to develop something new.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I always loved that you could steal a (pretty decent, I think?) weapon in like the first or second battle, but it's really easy to miss if you aren't paying attention. There's just so much packed into that game in every corner. The eventual remake is going to be absolutely insane.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
My second favorite FF (a little behind XII), IX undoubtly embodies the "fantasy" more than any FF.
Quick question : is the nature/story behind Ozma ever revealed ? This colorful deadly ball always had me puzzled.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
My second favorite FF (a little behind XII), IX undoubtly embodies the "fantasy" more than any FF.
Quick question : is the nature/story behind Ozma ever revealed ? This colorful deadly ball always had me puzzled.
"It's not of this world" is the only explanation it ever really got.

XII and IX are my favorites as well. XII is my favorite JRPG. An astoundingly brilliant game.

Krathoon

Oct 27, 2017
I got to the part where you have to save Garnet from the tree monster.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I thought it had one of the best initial hours in FF, but it progressively got worse. The last few hours are so boring.

Snozz

Dec 6, 2020
I find it disappointing how it always seems to take a backseat to other FFs in media/mash ups like XIV considering how well-loved it is.

Absolutely my favourite in the series, the general lack of angst in the majority of the game puts it well above the other PS1 era games for me (not to mention the amazing story beats and generally strong cast of core characters already mentioned).

Oct 25, 2017
Like VIII before it, IX has a strong start (discs 1 and 2) and slowly becomes more nonsensical the more it goes on. Both games are definitely strongest in the first half, but lose their steam in the second.

this 100%. IX's first disc is amazing. Then it slowly becomes a puddle of nonsense. VIII is the same. Once the garden starts moving I start to fade.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
That's a really good point, OP. It's definitely one of the reasons it's one of my favorite FF's.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Always enjoy seeing a LTTP FFIX thread. An all time great, and my personal favorite FF.

The best, I dare say.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Yo! no lie, I remember being around 12 when I first played this game and having never played a card game or anything like whatever that game is of any kind at that point in my life, I got stuck for like a week, lost a bunch of cards in the process and I remember crying about it thinking that I would never beat the game.

I obviously learned the game, or at least learned enough to bum my way to a victory but man, that memory haunts me lol

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Very bold game. Think about how long in the game it takes before you get a level up screen. All the swaps of perspective, investing in peripheral characters that are not part of the plot. Definitely a game where the story is the main focus and the RPG trappings come second.

It loses its way as the entire Brahme thread of story telling plays out, but everything else is very well written.

Main shame is how painfully the psOne found it to run, and subsequent versions of it inherit the slow sluggishness of the combat side of things. Plus it was a little too heavy on the "unwinnable" battle trick.

Krathoon

Oct 27, 2017
What was the name of that tall guy with the fluffy red hair? They had some weird characters in that game.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I just started it for the first time in Switch the other day and I'm loving it so far. Music is awesome, really enjoying the characters, and I think the story is engaging so far.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I think the biggest failing it had was the release date.

It came out after the PS2 had launched and, from my point of view, next gen was here and I never gave much thought to the game, until much later. It's a gem, honestly, I just love everything about it. Just a really pleasing game.

I think if it had released before the PS2, it would probably be as widely remembered as the other 2 PS1 games.