• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should these shifty nerds keep coming for me or go drink their milk?

• They should continue embarrassing themselves and all of us.

Votes: 41 46.1%
  • They should go sit on a ham sandwich.

Votes: 41 46.1%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 17 19.1%

• Total voters

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like you are already having fun getting washed and that's great
Alot of people complain.
You like the genre as a whole and that's different compared to alot of the people who are good at a game since they main one as a pro.

I'd say divide skill lvl into classes and realise what you need to do to lvl up from where you are and where you want to be. And how many lvls there are inbetween.
Fighting your local scene and dominating in MK2 is different compared to fighting literally the entire world online nowadays. There as many people better and worse online

JohnnyEnglish

Apr 15, 2018
I honestly don't care if I'm good at FGs or not. I've been playing them since Fatal Fury on the SNES, and 97% of the time I just play against the CPU. I play this genre for fun.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I don't care about tier list in fighting games. I pick a character I like and play with him/her. It annoys me when playing online many people just use the same character because they know he/she has some OP tech.

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
That's exactly how I would do it if i was getting better. "My punishes are too weak." "I play scared when im in the corner."

Knowing and pursuing these things is a huge part of the fun to me. But I sort of fall back as much as I gained in between times I return to a particular game. I've never experience a level where I had all that basic shit together and got to play a higher tech game.

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I don't care about tier list in fighting games. I pick a character I like and play with him/her. It annoys me when playing online many people just use the same character because they know he/she has some OP tech.

In a lot of games, seem to make any notable difference for me. Unlike the difficulty of a character, which has no correlation to their tier. That actuall makes quite a difference. With Katarina, I can punch 4,4,4,4 after practically any launcher and get a braindead combo with good enough damage. I don't know if that character overall is considered easy, but getting a decent punish damage every time is a huge crutch (Hey crutches can be fun when used as clubs) that lets me win more with her.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Tier lists come into play at higher lvls
Makes less difference in casuals
In a lot of games, seem to make any notable difference for me. Unlike the difficulty of a character, which has no correlation to their tier. That actuall makes quite a difference. With Katarina, I can punch 4,4,4,4 after practically any launcher and get a braindead combo with good enough damage. I don't know if that character overall is considered easy, but getting a decent punish damage every time is a huge crutch (Hey crutches can be fun when used as clubs) that lets me win more with her.
Katarina was made to be easy to pick up by the devs
Her 4444 string is fast and does a full combo on counter hit. They actually had to nerf it on block since it was safer.
But going by the overall difficulty of Tekken she really makes little difference compared to everyone else except the really hard characters like Mishimas, Steve, Nina etc

She'lll stay my main tho. Bacause of her insane damage

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
GOOD?

HOLD ON. What's "good"?
You decide how good is good. That's how everyone does it.

'Good' for Me: I can beat most any random at a party. But when I visit any players who take the game seriously at all, I can't beat any of them. Online, I swim around in the low ranks. For instance: in SFV, I play mostly in the bronze ranks and briefly peek into the silver. If I get onto a game for a couple weeks, I can actually hang in that silver rankā€¦ but that's about it. For a short period when I was younger I was a little better because I was practicing intensively, but still kind of learning how to look at things.

I consider 'good' to beā€¦ somewhere beyond my level? That's how vague 'good' is. If you want to know more than that, please ask.
TLDR:

I find great enjoyment in fighting games and always have, but I've never been very good at a single one despite playing thousands of hours over 25 years. If you're curious about how I can enjoy them so much despite losing so often, please ask me anything.
# Welcome.

If I could only play one genre for the rest of my life, it would be fighting games.

I get at least some enjoyment out of every one I play, and have spent maybe half of the past 25 years obsessed with one or another, and always up for a match otherwise. My perspective on them has evolved a lot over the years. For the first half, I longed to be 'good'. For the second half, I let that desire go. Nowadays, I see that winning or losing at a fighting game even at my modest skill level has led to my richest gaming experiences and always will.

When I was 12 years old, I was considered to be an excellent player, adjusted for age. I could beat the some of the highschool boys in my suburban city, and they would torture or bully me when we crossed paths around town. Despite being truly scared of them, I was not deterred in the least. I wanted to play so bad.

At 13, me and one friend became locally dominant at Mortal Kombat 2. Dominant. There were two comic book shops and an arcade. We would walk to any one of these with 50 cents between us. Enough for one play. We would alternate rounds as long as we liked, chewing through a conveyor belt of older kids who crowded around the machine. Random select every time. This actually got our asses whooped irl a couple times. This would be my only taste of domination.

By 14, I learned how to do walking 360s and became pretty nasty with this character that was considered unusable in our little pond. Our little, shallow, low-tech, pond.

When I got my driver's license, I started traveling to the South Bay where the real action was supposed to be. It was really really real. It wasn't just highschool boys. There were MEN. Grown ass men running those machines. I had basically never seen that in my town. Young and old were on another level there. Way out of my league.They were steady and cool when they played. They had so much control. Were so clever.

I was nothing. This was a gut churning revelation. I was terrible at Street Fighter. Terrible at Tekken. I could hardly keep myself from falling out of the ring in Virtua fighter. Literally couldn't follow xmen played at that level. I guess I could hang in at the killer instinct machine or maybe primal rage like the babies did. :< I met some online peeps down there to play Tekken 3 once. Wellā€¦I was so embarrassed at how bad I was that I never talked to them again and disappeared from that forum.

street-fighters-ii-anime-217319.JPG

Sometime in my early twenties, I started hanging out at the arcade that used to be at Cal Berkeley. This was transformative. All the relevant games in deluxe cabinets with optical joysticks. All of the less relevant games at hand to be snapped into a cabinet. Regular players who were better than I had ever seen. And not least I was finally ready to ask for help and receive help.I learned a lot of technique, but that's nothing compared to the perspective I took away. Fighting games are more fun than ever since then. I entered the weekly tourneys there. I never got very far and they weren't exactly huge events.

Y'know tho - This one time I went, I didn't realize our weekly tournament was part of a regional this time. I got lined up against Ortiz. Think about this for a second: She had to crack me up for four rounds in front of an audience. I'll always remember that. It was like she somehow took control of my character. By then I had learned to be cool. I focused the whole time and tried not to walk into her sweeps over and over. Seriously beat me four rounds 70% with sweeps. But I stayed cool even being so outmatched and intimidated.

By then I was able to appreciate being bodied like that in front of a crowd. A cherished memory. That's the perspective I took away from this period at the UCB Bearcade.

That's pretty much the best I ever got and it wasn't much. But the appreciation for the games I took away was - as I said - transformative. Thank you, Binh.

maxresdefault.jpg

After that, it was all downhill. Anywhere I went where people could actually play, I was one of the worst people there. Every game, all the time, through the death of arcades and the birth of online. I still did well in low tech environments, but now I knew I wasn't very good and never was. There can be great value in not knowing some things. Bliss, they say.

I sucked but it was mostly okay. I could forget about that most of the time and still have tons of fun. I believed that if I put enough time in and practiced enough, I would get 'good'. And that would be good?

It never happened. Maybe I don't have it in me. I see it doesn't matter anymore. I fight not because I will win but because I am full of fight.

giphy.gif

So I've never been good at any fighting game. It's my favorite genre and I enjoy the hell out of them and I have fun every time. Because I play a great variety of games, I make basically no time to practice now. Yes, I generally play online. Yes, I eat multiple bee stings every session even playing in the lower ranks.

I'm pretty sure there are members who do want to enjoy fighting games, perhaps even deeply, but cannot because they are resigned to the idea that they will never be good and never be able to practice enough to be good. Locked out or at least walled off from enjoying this country.

So here I type, with the fire alive after a quarter of a century, but having never been good. Do you find that strange?

Ask me anything. Or ask me nothing, and may this thread sink. Thanks for reading!
You could still be great in the fighting community, just perhaps not as a player. Did you ever think about being a hype man

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
I love rpg first but after is fighting game, the 2 fighting game i was good at was killer instinct and mk2 on the snes, played them everyday before and after school, now i just play them casualy, lately im playing a lot of smash ultimate, tekken7 and injustice 2

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Cool read. I've never been dedicated or infatuated enough with fighters to get good, but I love playing them at whatever low level I can. For me a big part of it is just getting my hands on the flashy cast and aesthetics most fighters have, like KOF XIII was a feast for the eyes all of the time.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I'm the same way but with Smash Bros. I really just enjoy the gameplay. I've put 200+ hours into Smash Ultiamte more than half of that in training mode just beating up on the stationary dummy or mid-level CPU opponent.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
I think most people buying and playing fighting games are like that (me too).

It would require too much effort and time for me to be good at this, and I'd rather spend my time discovering new games

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'm no button masher, and I've been playing fighting games for years, but I'm not pro level. I understand spacing, vaguely know what moves my character has that are unsafe, but I often get greedy, get stuck in loops when I'm trying to pull off the same attack over and over even though it's not working, and generally play too aggressively.

I'm good enough that I play like I know what I'm doing, even if I'm not always winning. That's good enough for me, but I'm always learning and like to improve.

MK11 has an incredible tutorial, and I got a ton out of going through the whole thing.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
I'm the same way as you. I love playing fighting games of all kinds, but I am actually pretty bad at them.

The only fighting game that I've sat down and learned how to play was Guilty Gear Xrd because it was just a game I wanted to surround myself with because of how beautiful it looks.

But yeah, nah, I'm ass at fighting game IMO. But I'm always down to play with anyone with any skill level.

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Crayon do you use a controller or do you use a fight stick?

I've stuck to fightstick since I got my first one. An ASCII super advantage for SNES.

at some point, I just started keeping my own and identical pairs so I could rotate with friends more easily. anyone who didn't like joystick we just told them they have to get used to it and gave them some pointers.

Usually when I tried to play on pad, it was very difficult. Actually no. 3d fighting games are pretty much fine. 2D fighting games are brutal on a pad.

I've been trying very hard to switch to pad over the last 3 years. This is out of consideration for my partner having to hear that clacking noise. Also it would be more convenient if I was taking my controller to play somewhere. I've always known that you could do just as good on a pad.

But even after a couple years, 2D games are a real b. I haven't touched a joystick all that time. I can tell you right now if I picked up a joystick and played some guilty gear it would feel like this huge relief. I think about going back all the time.

I'm the same way as you. I love playing fighting games of all kinds, but I am actually pretty bad at them.

The only fighting game that I've sat down and learned how to play was Guilty Gear Xrd because it was just a game I wanted to surround myself with because of how beautiful it looks.

But yeah, nah, I'm ass at fighting game IMO. But I'm always down to play with anyone with any skill level.

I've also become sucked into XRD. I've had a few guilty gear games over the years, and I've enjoyed them. but if you go back and look at the older ones they were not produced to the level of this one. Maybe they were better games or not, I don't really know.

But damn I'm in love with this game's look, it's music, it's characters and it's bizarre tropey universe. And I love it's gameplay which seems like it might be simplified from what I remember.

I adore the online system with the chibi lobbies and I wish that was in more games. As far as my skill level in this game, I can scrap with people in the lobbies easily enough, because you can visually keep an eye on the people who are at your level.

I can hardly stay on top of the basics of this game. But with a little universal fighting knowledge, I can have super exhilarating fights with other the ankle-biters. Most people are better than me though. Way better. I still have a good time exploring my options and not trying to get beat SO bad.

When I first got it in this game, after Evo last year like a poser, I was talking about it with hobbesianthundercat and we played a couple matches and it was hilarious. I don't know if he was giving me the third degree or not. Massive mismatch, either way.

Anyway, I freaking love this game now. Tekken 7 is probably the best game this gen,buuuuuut it might be guilty gear..

Last edited:

JusDoIt

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I think most people buying and playing fighting games are like that (me too).

It would require too much effort and time for me to be good at this, and I'd rather spend my time discovering new games

The pressure people feel to be good at fighting games actually discourages a lot of people from just enjoying fighting games.

If people would just make the tiny adjustment to simply want to get better at fighting games and have fun, they would play them more. Good is a vague goal that many feel is not worth the effort, but getting better can be attained every time you sit down to play.

Last edited:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was only a Smash player when I was younger, and I always beat my friends most of the time and was able to hold my own against more tech-savvy players who knew a lot more than I did. Nowadays, I have more fun watching fighting games than playing them, and that's mainly because I can't get together with people that often anymore to play, and I don't play online because I'm always lagging and a wired connection is out of my reach.

I love fighting games, and they're a spectacular spectator's sport.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably better to never try to be good at a fighting game. It's a huge timesink.

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The pressure people feel to be good at fighting games actually discourages a lot of people from just enjoying fighting games.

If people would just make the tiny adjustment to simply want to get better at fighting games and have fun, they would play them more. Good is a vague goal that many feel is not worth the effort, but getting better can be attained every time you sit down to play.

There's only two things people need to learn I think. One, is to get the game feeling all right in your hands. If you play for a couple weeks this will just come. I'm just talkin about feeling like you're not fighting the character and you can get your moves off smoothly most of the time. Not a bunch of combos and shit.

After that, you need to get your head around the fact that you are surrounded by players of your level. They're everywhere. You can use your consoles inbuilt friends list to make a little crew. It'll be private cuz you only know each other in the game. you got a crew going that's all in the shallow end of the pool with you, and you are playing. You are set to have a wonderful time. The practice will come natural oh, and you'll get to experience the important aspect of playing the same people over and over. This makes it easier to understand strategy.

Anyhow, those two things are what I would recommend. I think you can have a complete experience after that.

I was only a Smash player when I was younger, and I always beat my friends most of the time and was able to hold my own against more tech-savvy players who knew a lot more than I did. Nowadays, I have more fun watching fighting games than playing them, and that's mainly because I can't get together with people that often anymore to play, and I don't play online because I'm always lagging and a wired connection is out of my reach.

I love fighting games, and they're a spectacular spectator's sport.

Totally. I don't watch a lot of tournaments, but I TuneIn here and there and watch archives on YouTube. I'll put it on in the background, or sometimes put some music on and just watch. I love the commentary. There's definitely different angles to enjoy from. it's a direct analog to a sports fan who just tosses the ball around in the backyard once in a while.

Someone up there even suggested I could get involved and be a hype man, with my big mouth. We have scene in San Francisco. And I have a friend that would go with me whenever. I should start hitting those up and see if I can help out somehow and get some games and while I'm there.

It's probably better to never try to be good at a fighting game. It's a huge timesink.

The dirty truth. Good players spend more time than a lot of us would consider responsible for our own situations. It's not worth it for some fantasy ego trip. people get that good because they love it and they got some time on their hands.

There's nothing to wait for, though. For casual fighting, you're just going to be trying to employ your basics and put it together all the time. And that's fun when you see it coming together. if you stop playing and you come back rusty, you kind of start again. No big.

Basic play. Taking around where you did a two hit punish on almost every with dragon punch is thrilling. That's bedrock basic but a great reward for a a modest amount of practice and it will when you more fights!

jumping between games, and not having that much time at that, this is what I'm usually doing. Just trying to pull together my basics. There's no reason to wait until that's done to start having fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Why vanilla and not EVO?

I like the menus and I can live without going Brad.

That's hella dumb, huh? I like the menus. I think dot-dot. I think, it's been so long... I think I like the kumite mode better in vanilla.

The fighting system is indistinguishable to me between both. I can play that game forever, anyway.

I always like the way people learning Virtua fighter go through their cock punch phase. šŸ¤” Anyhow, I'll have you know that the best I ever got at a given game was probably Virtua fighter 4 + 5.