• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to get back into Dungeon Fighter Online and recover my account, but the wait might be a while.

DFO3D is in the works and I will play that if it comes to the US. DnF Duel probably won't get localized unless I'm really lucky but I'd love to play that too.

And if there was any idea that 2D DFO was going away, it's being ported to mobile in full (versus various past incarnations). And if that comes to US, I will play that while commuting. 😭😭😭

I'm not a terrific player (like the kind that farms Raids, for example) but I love the overall package of DFO so much. I would not spend a lot of money for any game, but for DFO, I just might. ;P

While I'm waiting for my DFO to come back, and as long as we're talking about Arcade-style beat-em-up MMORPGs, are there any clones out there that I can play? I don't think there many but Google Play and Steam are so vast I don't know where to start.

I'm focusing on Android but am working on getting PC internet again, so PSO2 is on my list.

Also feel free to talk about anything DFO here.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I liked DFO, but it feels very F2P by the time you get to the late game.

Are consoles out? Because Dragon's Crown is solid.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I liked DFO, but it feels very F2P by the time you get to the late game.

Are consoles out? Because Dragon's Crown is solid.

The fact that there's no PC port of Dragon's Crown is a crime. I have it on PS3 and Vita but the former is put away too. Yes, I could get it for PS4 but I don't really want to rebuy it every generation. :P

OP, not really the same as either of these as it doesn't have much in the way of progression, but Streets of Rage 4 is fantastic, if you haven't given it a try yet.

OP
OP
MisterHero

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that there's no PC port of Dragon's Crown is a crime. I have it on PS3 and Vita but the former is put away too. Yes, I could get it for PS4 but I don't really want to rebuy it every generation. :P

OP, not really the same as either of these as it doesn't have much in the way of progression, but Streets of Rage 4 is fantastic, if you haven't given it a try yet.
Yeah I should probably just start looking for beat-em-ups again but there is also the loot aspect that I originally enjoyed in the first PSO.

I'll check it out and Double Dragon Neon when I get a chance.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
There's not a whole lot out there if you're looking for something like DFO in every aspect. There's lots of high-quality brawlers with RPG elements added to them, however.

My personal recommendation: If you have access to an Xbox 360, Xbox One or Xbox Series S/X, get Guardian Heroes HD. It's the updated re-release of the game that inspired DFO in the first place. It's also $5.

Being originally a Saturn game, it's not on the scale of DFO, nor does it have things like hunting for loot, but it has a fun, fast-paced combat system inspired by fighting games, in a brawler setting. EXP and leveling up systems per run, multiple characters to play as, and multiple endings depending on your choices and actions. It's a complete package (and you can do two-player co-op, even online with another person - and 12-player online versus if you want to see the true face of chaos). Probably the best $5 you can spend on any platform, let alone these ones.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

I agree. I've considered booting it back up just to get that DFO vibe of grinding levels and loot. It's a VERY unique genre that doesn't really get much attention.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I agree. I've considered booting it back up just to get that DFO vibe of grinding levels and loot. It's a VERY unique genre that doesn't really get much attention.

Still holding out hope for a sequel or expanded version of Dragon's Crown...

Recently Genshin Impact has satisfied that itch of beating shit up, levelling up and getting loot for me, but it's many steps removed from a sidescrolling beat'em up, of course.