• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Wow...if the standard consensus on cutscenes can be derived from just this thread alone, the lack of patience in gamers is astounding....
Why should we have patience for complete garbage, which is what 99% of cutscenes are? My time would be better spent doing literally anything else other than watching them.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
For me there's three rules for cutscenes: they can't be too long, they must be skippable and they can't occur too often.

Max Payne 3 is the perfect example of cutscenes occurring too often and also being unskippable. A lot of them are mundane stuff like going through a door too, things that the player could have done. I swear the makers of that game wanted to be movie directors rather than game developers.

MGS4 is the best example of too long cutscenes.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
Not a fan of cutscenes, and I hate it when they aren't skippable. In many cases they are so poorly edited and drawn out so they end up far longer than they need to be, the cutscenes in Valkyria Revolution were pure torture but even the best cutscenes are usually shit. In a game I want to be in control of my character, I don't want to watch game designers move my character in some pre-determined way. If I'm in no control and just watching then I may as well watch a movie.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wow...if the standard consensus on cutscenes can be derived from just this thread alone, the lack of patience in gamers is astounding....
It might have a bit to do with heavy story elements being more recently pushed onto games that previously wouldn't have had them, or at least would been a much smaller focus.

Specsranger

Cinematic Artist
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
UK
Cutscenes are one of the tools in the developer's narrative toolbag, but we still have a long way to go with using them effectively. Saying that, I'm unabashedly a fan of cutscenes. Plus, it keeps me employed :)

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
I love well made cutscenes in JRPGs, like Xenoblade2 end of chapter1 was absolutely great.
I guess it depends on the genre, I'd prefer little to no cutscenes for action games.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really do when they're polished and well acted/directed. One of the main reasons ND is my favorite dev.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
I used to. But not anymore. I loved MGS2 and 3 many years ago, but I don't think I could play them again. I tried playing MGSV and couldn't get past the intro. I deleted the game immediately, I have no tolerance for long, drawn-out cutscenes anymore. When I play a game, I want to play.

I will make an exception for Visual Works, though.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I like them, but they shouldn't be as long as they are on Kh3 and mgsiv.
I love both games but 30 minute long cutscenes are annoying, specially if you can't save between them because you can't stop play and/or you can have a power shortage and whatnot.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I mind them in KH3 and MGS4 because of how badly directed they are in too many occasions. A lot of it is all,
No music,
Camera cuts to each character when they talk,
Dialogue has awkward pauses,
Nothing of action, not even particular insinuations or gestures to make it interesting to look at happen,
Some characters end up doing nothing because they try to incorporate too many characters for referential value.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I have to actually be interested in the game's story, but I enjoy cutscenes. This idea that all cutscenes are bad and you should be pressing buttons every second of a game has always been weird to me. Can't even imagine that for like 40 hours.

Forums like Era have never and will never represent most of the gaming world.

Common sentiments you see on here are often completely at odds with what actually goes on in gaming at large.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cutscenes don't bother me. Minutes or even an hour of cutscene without break bother me. I like cutscenes that are done in short bursts, allowing for you to play shortly after. MGS4 is the opposite of what I want. It's the only game I ever fell asleep playing watching cutscenes. Truly bizarre.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I absolutely love cutscenes when they are well made, interesting, entertaining, implemented in a cool way etc. The love started with pre rendered cutscenes on PS1.
Many good cutscenes are iconic to me and burnt into my brain forever.

Some games even have cool, huge or crazy cutscenes as a trademark.
Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, just to name the obvious ones.

And some games are basically playable cutscenes. Asuras Wrath is one of my favorite games ever, especially because of it's crazy, exciting and well executed concept.

So, yes, I still love great cutscenes these days :)

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy cut-scenes, especially when they are real time. However MGS4 took things too far IMO. I understand there were a lot of threads to wrap up but they did not need 2+ hour long cut-scenes to accomplish this.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely. I play games primarily for the story and for games like MGS and KH3 where the story matters, I'm happy if they are longer. So I can't really relate to people skipping cutscenes and that nonsense. Same with wanting shorter games.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Totally fine with them. The amount of time required to consume a narrative is not a major concern. Things take the amount of time they take and as long as it serves a purpose I'm there for it.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah!

Impeccable cutscene direction is important. And in certain story games (not all) it is really needed to elevate the experience.

KH3 felt a lot like MGS4 to me. GReat cutscenes, great payoffs, moments we had waited a decade to pass.

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
I often like looking but end frustrated because I don't play.
I want games to push this camera design during gameplay.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe we just may have pacience for different things? I can enjoy slowly stealthing my way through an area spending most of my time hiding in the bushes in some games, in others often I'll handle dying to the same boss twenty times over. Both of those things that require a level of pacience are prefreable for me to sitting through most gaming cutscenes.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Forums like Era have never and will never represent most of the gaming world.

Common sentiments you see on here are often completely at odds with what actually goes on in gaming at large.
Generally speaking I always say this.

But in this case, I think mass casual gamers would feel the same way and they don't like long badly directed cutscenes either

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
If they're good, of a reasonable length, and advance the story or enhance characters in a way that's meaningful to the game, then I'm all aboard.

Most videogame cutscenes are garbage, though. Poorly conceived, badly edited, often unnecessary, and too long.

Oct 27, 2017
I like cutscenes just fine, provided they are done well (like any other aspect of a game).

MGS4's cutscenes sometimes veer into being so bad that they are ultimately entertaining, but are mostly just bad.

If you want to see great cutscene work, play Wolfenstein II.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Totally agree with you, OP. Nothing wrong with cutscenes in general, and all that nonsense about cutscenes "taking away player control!" and how "the player should ALWAYS be in control or else it isn't a game!" is better ignored, though the option to skip them (which I'd never use, unless it's a repeat viewing) should always be included.

I'm eating up every deliciously dramatic moment of Kingdom Hearts III's cutscenes and loving every second of it. Much like Metal Gear Solid V was, KH III would have been a huge disappointment to me if it didn't emphasize heavy-handed storytelling via cutscenes since the conclusion of its long-running story is one of KH III's biggest draws. That's one of the major elements both series are known for, and it's what many fans want and expect from them.

Apr 18, 2018
Santa Cruz
I always considered cut-scenes to be an old school trophy like achievement in the PlayStation era. They were great breaks between huge moments and finally meant you were progressing.

However, I loved Metal Gear Solid 2 cutscenes (the first Metal Gear I played) and I watched the beginning cutscenes so many times. It my my introduction to Ocelot and what Metal Gear was all about. The bouncer also had great cutscenes, I still love cutscenes. It adds a lot to my experience and character development.

Karthane

Mar 20, 2018
I love cutscenes if I'm invested in the story. KH3 I was on my phone and honestly considering skipping some because I found the story not only incomprehensible, but poorly directed and delivered.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Love well directed cutscenes. The major cutscenes in Xenoblade 1 & 2 are great with the respective songs playing in the background. Feels like a nice payoff after a long gameplay session.
The Yakuza series also has great cutscenes.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Kojima actually has interesting things to say in his cutscenes, with keen direction, and an eye for cinematography

Kingdom Heats is complete tripe outside a few Disney moments, and even those are basically just facsimiles - nothing original

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I'm not a fan, generally speaking. For me, the ones in RDR2 are perfect. Well acted, written and not overly long. I also basically know when I'm in for one and can usually avoid it if I want to.

KH3 on the other hand is the worst case (again, for me) I've recently encountered. Take Thebes, for example. There are too many of them, some are very long and I often thought that I could move on to the next battle or save point only to be hit with a cutscene out of the blue. It especially irritated me when I wanted to just have one more battle before finishing up or was trying to save ASAP because of kids stuff or housework that I needed to do. On top of that the writing and acting is average at best. I don't watch TV shows or movies with crappy writing or acting so there is no way I'd watch a cutscene with them.