• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so in terms of the differences, I will try to explain the main ones in a way that doesn't spoil The Expanse (but given that the topic is for people who like BSG and are wondering whether to watch The Expanse and what's different about it, I am going to spoil BSG).

Firstly, the technology of BSG is a lot more advanced than that of The Expanse. BSG has FTL drives, anti-gravity, enormous carrier spacecraft, and so on. Technology in The Expanse advances over the course of the series but doesn't start off anywhere near what the Twelve Colonies and the Cylons have at the start of BSG.

Secondly, BSG almost immediately smashes humanity down to the scale of a small fleet, and for the most part keeps them as a relatively unified tiny society and follows the leadership of that society during the course of the show. You can just about understand the entirety of human society in BSG, as long as you don't ask awkward questions like where all the news reporters are coming from. The Expanse has a much bigger and more complex vision of human society, with three major factions that each have their own internal divisions (Earth, Mars, and the OPA - a loose confederation of the inhabitants of the asteroid belt and moons of the outer planets). Though the series does follow some of the leaders of those factions, it is more concerned with the interactions between them. That includes military interactions but also much more general day-to-day stuff. The military in BSG is much more in focus, since it's the structure that the new society builds itself around.

Thirdly, because BSG makes humanity so small, it can ask some philosophical questions about the scalability and survivability of societies in general. Questions like what the role of the military is when there's nothing like a police force, what kind of missions can be considered acceptable when society is on the brink, whether an incompetent leader can be tolerated in the name of democracy, the kind of restrictions that should or shouldn't exist to ensure society survives, the extent to which it's okay to make up a dream to give that society a purpose, and so on. The Expanse doesn't position itself to do this. It's much more geopolitical than philosophical. Geopolitical is the wrong word of course, maybe should be heliopolitical.

Fourthly, BSG brings in a lot more spiritual and religious elements than The Expanse ever does. Right from the start there's the contrast between the polytheist humans and the monotheist Cylons, and this continues throughout the series, with prophecies, visions, head Six and head Baltar who turn out to be angels, and the whole deal with Starbuck in seasons 3 and 4. The Expanse doesn't have that. There are some elements of the show that the humans of The Expanse can't explain, but there is no suggestion that they're supernatural. The forces acting in the world of The Expanse are political and technological.

Fifthly, despite the opening, BSG doesn't have a plan. The series takes big directional shifts in later seasons and by season 3 they are clearly making it up as they go along. The Expanse is following a pre-defined structure. As a result, it doesn't (and hopefully won't) find itself scrambling around trying to tie up loose ends that it created in earlier seasons, like BSG does.

Lastly, BSG ended in a way that narratively wrapped up the stories. People can argue forever about how well it did that, but it did it. The Expanse as a TV show won't be completing the story of the novels, since the sixth season will be the final one. Because of how the books are written, that's actually a reasonably good place to end the TV show, and I'm sure they will make an effort to give it the most satisfying end possible, but I think it's highly unlikely to be able to wrap up everything. People who don't like plot lines being left open should keep that in mind.

Thanks, this was really helpful. I gave a few episodes of The Expanse a shot and didn't like it. Now it's clear why it's just not the same kind of show as BSG.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The Expanse is probably the better show, although both are excellent and easily the best sci-fi shows outthere. The main difference is that Expanse takes a few episodes to get going (also for the average viewer to even get their bearings about the setting, if you're not into e.g. hard sci-fi novels), while Galactica opens with a hell of a bang; this is out of necessity due to the different stakes on each show and what they each focus in. Expanse is a bit more character-based, with more realistic, flawed and and nuanced characters vs Galactica's larger-than-life archetypes; it also doesn't help that the first episodes focus a lot on what's, at that time at least, the straightforward boy-scout character (Holden), as an audience surrogate to anchor the show.

My SO straight out didn't like the first few episodes of the Expanse, and yet within that season it ended up being one of her favorite shows and having her completely and utterly hooked. It's the poster child of "it gets better"; I would advice anyone getting to at least the end of season 1. If you don't like it by then, you probably never will so give it up.

Last edited:

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
It is not like BSG really except "space" but I think I like it even more. It's one of the best sci-fi shows of modern times. The setting is absolutely fucking great and fascinating and it deals with a lot of the politics of the solar system.

Highly recommended if you like sci-fi :)

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Best Sci-Fi show in years and one of the best shows on "TV" right now, so yes, watch it.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
It's the best sci Fi show I've seen since BSG I think you should definitely check it out. Been waiting so long for a show of this quality after a few others ended up being duds for me like star trek discovery.

Oct 25, 2017
I watched maybe 3 seasons of BSG before I got disinterested but I'm loving the Expanse so far. It does take 4-5 episodes to get going because there is so much plot to setup, but by the end of S1 I was really into it and I just blew through the second season in a week. It reminds me a lot of the good parts of Mass Effect.

Last edited:

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
My general recommendation is if you don't like it by the time you get to the Donnager escape scene, you won't get on with the show.

Personally I prefer it to BSG because altho it doesn't have any full on crazy SF moments like The Adama Manoeuvre, the more realistic approach to physics, setting (eg people on spaceships in fights wearing spacesuits in n case of depressurisation, realistic inertia & momentum with no inertial fame ping nonsense) & so on speaks more to my inner nerd...plus no matter how great the ship is, you're constantly reminded of how lethal space travel can be when all that's between you and hard vacuum is a this plate of metal.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Things went downhill after that in the subsequent books.

I've read most of the books but the thought "this is written like it's made for TV" often crossed my mind.

That said, I find the actual series to be quite entertaining and I can recommend it to everyone who likes scifi, although it's overarching themes do little to move the needle regarding bringing something new or original to the genre (probably because the source material just isn't that good).

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
one of the few instances where the tv/movie version is better than the books in my opinion

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
The Expanse is fantastic, everybody should watch it 😎

Piling on, yes all day long. It's great - but very different than BSG. Where BSG is claustrophobic in its urgency there is an unbounded aspect to the Expanse that makes it feel both terrifying and amazing at the same time. It seems like the more tragic reality of what eventual space culture, and universe, will feel like - and the stories within that.

I do love BSG, and watched the whole thing all over again last year with my son - blew his mind - but hasn't aged as well for me as I had liked.

Anyways - expanse - as others said, is more mass effect than BSG - and must see TV.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
BSG is one of my all time favorites as well, and I also love the Expanse. There are beautiful character moments that remind me of BSG a lot.

It's a very different show and much harder sci fi than BSG but if you like space, and some drama, and people, you'll like Expanse.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I had a really good time watching BSG. But I read the first book of The Expense and was utterly bored with it back when it came out. Then watched the first episode with my partner because he was interested, but he found it boring too.

Shame because I really like sci-fi and we've been looking for another sci-fi show.

Oct 26, 2017
The Expanse is the closest a sci-fi show has come to Galactica for me. The highs are better in Galactica but The Expanse is far more consistently high quality. It's a fantastic show.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
The Expanse is a fascinating show mainly because for me it provides a plausible insight into humanities future in centuries to come in terms of identity and technology.

As a species we're never going to become like Star Trek or BSG but I can imagine a world as envisaged in the Expanse (bar consequences of the Protomolecule).

Mar 29, 2018
I love BSG it is one of my favorite series of all time. And I keep reading that every BSG fan should give the Expanse a watch. I remember catching the first episode a while ago and not really liking it that much. Should I watch it, what do you think?
The first season of the Expanse is, in my opinion, pretty bad. Great world and quite well produced but the storytelling is so so awful, it's boring and demotivating most of the time. No sense of stakes.

however, it is 100% worth sticking through. Season 3 is where suddenly it approaches and in some ways leapfrogs BSG quality. It goes from 5/10 to 9/10 and stays there. Plus, all the earlier episodes suddenly seem much more necessary with all the insane things going on and deep worldbuilding.

highly recommend. but the first two seasons are a slog

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I love BSG it is one of my favorite series of all time. And I keep reading that every BSG fan should give the Expanse a watch. I remember catching the first episode a while ago and not really liking it that much. Should I watch it, what do you think?

I actually got another free Prime subscription a day ago, and since I had not seen the fifth season yet decided to watch all of the series over again due to the upgrade it got on Amazon. While watching it, all I could think was "I really need to buy the BSG collection on Blu-ray" (have it on DVD). The first post nailed it, but the two are somewhat similar in aesthetics in that they go for more of a grungy, realistic take on the future instead of one where everything is pristine, right off of the assembly line. There are many things in The Expanse that remind me of BSG, but only vaguely. The two shows are entirely different in most ways that matter.

Also, the first season of The Expanse took a while for me to warm up to when I initially watched it at release, and I honestly believe the show just got progressively better each new season, and finally took off in the third. My best friend started watching this a few months ago also and asked me if it ever gets good. The first two seasons have a very different tone than those that proceed them.

Give it a try. If you don't like it a few episodes in, then don't waste your time.

I don't agree. I honestly think the biggest hurdle for people enjoying the series is the introductory season. It just doesn't ease the viewer into it, and at times feels simultaneously overwhelming, and sometimes slow due to the pacing and how they constantly segue from some fast-paced, or dramatic space scene back to another humdrum scene on Ceres.

The Expanse reminds me of Mass Effect a lot if that makes any sense to you.

Me too, but primarily Ceres looking like The Citadel, and many of the space suits and weaponry look similar to those in the games. It also made me think of Dead Space quite a bit too.

Last edited:

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Yes. The Expanse is top-of-the-line science fiction. Anyone interested with the genre should watch it. It has great character-development work like BSG however it goes deeper into the "hard" and "realistic" sci-fi territory than the former ever did . . . . .

. . . . and just a personal warning, it might have unintended negative consequences for your love of the genre.

Watching the first 3 seasons of the Expanse in SyFy ruined sci-fi spaceships for me. Unless its a single-seater fighter like say an X-wing or a Starfury, i find it really difficult to suspend my disbelief for any other spaceship. You name it: the Big G, the Normandy, the Defiant, the Millennium Falcon, Serenity, etc. . . . . after seeing how the Rocinante works in the Expanse, all the other sci-fi ships seem magical if not downright dangerous.

Whenever i see another sci-fi spaceship cockpit, my brain keeps telling me something along the lines of, "The navigation controls of so-and-so is too far away. It should be closer and within easy arms reach preferably bolted into the arm rest of the pilot's chair so that when the ship is sublight travelling by several G's the pilot does not have to reach forward and risk getting their arms snapped back by the inertial forces at play."

Or if i see another sci-fi spaceship with a horizontal floorplan like an airplane, my brain keeps telling me, "Shouldn't they have a vertical floorplan like an apartment building so that the propulsion system at the very bottom could simulate the effects of gravity? Does this ship have a rotating drum instead?". I know artificial gravity generators and inertial dampers exists in other sci-fi ships and my mind accepts that explanation . . . . but only for non-combat ships. For some reason, my mind thinks that safety and redundancy protocols on any sci-fi military would push them to create ships with a vertical floorplan like the ones in the Expanse just so their fighting ships have a backup plan if and when their gravity/inertia generators took a hit. Good luck trying to treat soldier wounds properly in low gravity.

Still even with this weird warning, i'd still encourage everyone to watch the Expanse. You will be introduced to some really cool spaceships like the Rocinante, the Donnager and my favourite, the dreamiest (and practical looking) stealth ship in sci-fi, the Anubis (Amun-Ra):

fd39503aae40872026a53a4e568e85f5.jpg

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
BSG is probably my favorite show of all time.

The Expanse doesn't even scrape Top 10 sci-fi for me. I watch it, but I find it pretty boring. But, they are not at all similar.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I watched the first two seasons and it didn't grip me quite like BSG did. Like, nothing to that point had been on the level of the Pegasus arc in BSG. That said, the story was clearly building to something, but I didn't find it enthralling.

Perhaps I should give it another go, since I'm behind by three seasons. It definitely is the closest thing to a modern take on the "space opera" genre that we've had in a while. I mean, I like The Orville but that's a carbon copy of 90's Trek.

Also, The Expanse is a BEAUTIFUL show. It makes BSG look quite dated.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
The Expanse is different, but still really great. It's the best Sci-Fi I've seen since BSG.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
BSG is more like a fun side hustle, while the Expanse you enjoy and take a bit more seriously.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first season of the show recently after reading Leviathan Wakes and found it to be a letdown when compared to the book. They simplified certain characters and plot points and turned them into cliches. I only really liked Thomas Jane's Miller. But to each their own.