• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, maybe? The recent AI: The Somnium Files is actually more Ace Attorney-ish imo (by Kotaro Uchikoshi, writer of 999, VLR, Ever17, etc).

Oct 25, 2017
Was it the setting and style of humor? then no probably not

was it the investigation aspect and interviewing an oddball cast of characters? then maybe

Was it the art style? Then no

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm a huge Ace Attorney fan. Danganronpa is good, but not that comparable in quality or style. It's not bad, though I don't think it's as good as AA. More importantly it's just a different experience both in terms of characters, story, pacing and gameplay. It's worth giving it a go, but I wouldn't go in expecting something very similar to AA.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
People lump them together but they're completely different. I've played the first two danganronpas and have significant mixed feelings about them. Lots of (underage) sex jokes, lots of stupidity, lots of implied or outright gore.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe, there's investigation like ace attorney and the argument in court (dangaronpa has minigames in this part) but the story of danganronpa is much more dark, while ace attorney story/mood is much more fun and light hearted.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
It's similar in some ways, but very different in the most important aspect: writing.

If you're open-minded enough to actually love a visual novel franchise, though, I'd say just go for it. Danganronpa is a masterpiece.

Oct 25, 2017
The plot, jokes, characters, puns. Wasn't very fond of some nonsensical evidence that had to be shown during trials, but I pretty much love almost everything in the series.
The Danganronpa games have a very different feel to them, if you were mostly in it for the puns and the jokes then probably not.

I guess the ideal thing would be if you can find the first game really cheap one day you can try it for yourself but eh. I'm generally in the minority but I don't think any of the games are all that interesting so I would just skip them

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I am a huge Ace Attorney fan and played only the first Danganronpa. I thought the story was interesting, but the characters were just trope-y in an annoying way and I thought the writing was a step below Ace Attorney. I do have a friend who is a big Ace Attorney fan and he enjoyed the Danganronpa series, so YMMV.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
I love the ace attorney series and I absolutely love Danganronpa. When I was originally sold on the game by a co worker he told me it was a like ace attorney with much more murder. I was sold. But saying that you should have a good time just Danganronpa does have a messed up story and has some other gameplay elments that are different form the ace series but it's fun ride. Enjoy if you actually do pick it up

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I personally love Danganronpa more than Ace Attorney, but the games are so over the top and anime feeling where as the writing of AA is definitely out there but not as insane as DR can get.

There's a demo for DR3 on PS4 and PC that you can try that won't spoil anything about any of the 3 games (completely non canon), but it'd give you an idea of what to expect.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
Danganronpa's trial minigames are trash. You should look at it as a visual novel because that's the only part of the game that's actually good. If you're into VNs then you'll probably enjoy it.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
This will sound weird but Danganronpa is like if the SMT folks made an Ace Attorney type game. It's a lot darker and more bizarre than any Ace Attorney game which is just way happier in tone.

RogueDeadGuy

Jan 27, 2019
That's funny, I really love Danganronpa but am interested in starting Ace Attorney. I'll tell you what I love about the series is the characters, the style and general vibe of the games, and the gameplay loop of daily life -> investigation -> trial. The murders are always incredibly imaginative and it's just a really fun time overall. I feel like you'd like them.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The plot, jokes, characters, puns. Wasn't very fond of some nonsensical evidence that had to be shown during trials, but I pretty much love almost everything in the series.
Yeah, you're not going to like Danganronpa probably.

The first game is cheap on steam right now. Give it a shot, then go from there. I think Danganronpa 2 is the best in the series, and I think that's the most popular opinion.

Uncle at Nintendo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jan 3, 2018
The first Danganronpa is ok. 2nd and 3rd are great though, but you need to play the first to understand what the hell is going on.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Danganronpa waaay more than Ace Attorney. The scenarios tend to be weirder, so cases can go in some more interesting directions. The presentation is also a lot more visually engaging and stylish. Great soundtrack too.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a massive Ace Attorney fan and I recently finished Danganronpa 1 a week or so ago. For the 10 bucks that it's on Steam right now I'd probably recommend it. I enjoyed it for the most part, but I don't really feel like playing the sequels and it's not at the same level as AA for me. My biggest gripe is the annoying trial "minigames" that made me really wish I could just simply present evidence like in AA.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In theory you might but in execution, that's up in the air. Danganronpa, compared to Ace Attorney, is a very "sum of its parts" game where mechanics are extremely front loaded. I made a big post about it in the past so I'm just gonna abridge it (with spoilers removed).

Despite Ace Attorney's writing being very dependent on the game and the individual case, Shu Takumi truly understood how to design a framework for a "mystery", and said framework has been what's carried this series for the last decade, even when it's been directed by other directors. By the time you enter a case, it is rare that you ever have the full picture of what's going on. Trials are split into multiple parts, new characters are introduced, new evidence is found throughout the duration of the game. It makes for a perfect formula that constantly keeps the player on edge. When the good attorney is backed into a corner in an Ace Attorney, it actually feels like you're backed into a corner, because most of the time you're hanging onto a wing and a prayer - hoping that a single contradiction will manage to become something bigger. Something like that could only be accomplished in the format Ace Attorney offers; where you are constantly discovering new information and evidence due to the game's willingness to pace itself. The payoff to finishing a case is immeasurable when the writing is firing on all cylinders, and even though unfortunately culprits are usually obvious under the formula, it's a fair tradeoff for better writing and better twists. It's normal to go into the last day of a case already knowing who's responsible and instead trying to figure out how to nail them, with the trials not sparing on their own sets of twists and turns that reframe your entire understanding of the case itself and your opinion on the characters. Thanks to Ace Attorney's formula, part of the intrigue at times is figuring out how to expose your opponent in a system stacked against you in a way that upholds a willing enough suspension of disbelief. Several cases like these include Turnabout Goodbyes, Farewell My Turnabout, Bridge to the Turnabout, Turnabout Reclaimed, The Rite of Turnabout and Turnabout Revolution; all incredible cases in their own right which don't hold back on the moment-to-moment character beats.

Danganronpa meanwhile, isn't as great when it comes to setting up a good mystery, and I think much of this comes down to how gameplay is excessively frontloaded by design. Because the game wants to get you to know multiple characters, it makes it harder to compartmentalize the trial segments with free time segments, and you're only ever given one opportunity to gather evidence, followed by one very prolonged trial that needs to get everything out of the way in one stretch. A common critique of Ace Attorney is that it's normal for you to have figured out a mystery already, despite not being able to lay it out until the game decides it's time for the protagonist to figure it all out - but this is especially a problem in Danganronpa when all the bits and pieces are instantly available before you set foot in the courtroom. Because of this, it's only somewhat infrequently that the player really feels backed into a corner in these games despite how much the stakes are "higher" than an Ace Attorney game, and it's only sometimes when info discovered inside the courtroom turns out to become a real "twist" that steers the course of the trial in a new direction.

When these games have to fall back on their plot, which is the backbone of the major twists and events they set up, is where these games usually fall short. Danganronpa overall is way more plot-driven than Ace Attorney, with the individual cases being "hurdles" in the road to get there, so much of the games' overall impression will be contingent on how well that plot sticks the landing for people. Having said that, I think Danganronpa 2 is a game that can stand alongside some of the best "Whodunnit" games, including the Ace Attorney's finest, and is also the only game where the outcome of the grand mystery doesn't preclude the importance of how characters got us to that point. It actually does a great job in setting up a mystery that allows the characters to thrive. That's a thing that Danganronpa carries as an advantage; a lot of deaths and character beats carry a greater heft when you know anyone can die at any moment's notice, which is gonna hurt if you allow yourself to get attached to anyone. In Ace Attorney you're usually not allowed as much of an opportunity to care about its victims that much. Then again, death as drama isn't always a guarantee that the stakes will remain as high as one would like to think, and it all comes down to the writing of these games which overall Danganronpa needs to consistently hit home runs with due to retaining a limited cast per.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I love Ace Attorney
I did like Danganronpa but then I rapidly soured on it after finishing the second game and also after letting the endgame of the original sink in (we didn't get much time for that when they initially put them out on Vita, two in one year!)

You can definitely get some neat mysteries to tackle in Danganronpa but it's got some of the worst anime tropes running riot throughout that makes the sillier parts of Ace Attorney look like a dry detective serial.

Yeah, I've decided not to buy it... It seems it'll not be my thing. I can't stand anime and manga anymore, unfortunately.
In that case run and never look back!

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I would say no. It's so different and the writing is not on the same level. They actually hardly have anything in common beyond surface comparisons

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Haven't played the last one yet, but I think the story and characters of Danganronpa are absolutely awesome. I'm tired of anime tropes, but as a whole the games were intriguing and engaging enough for me to dismiss it. For once I found the tropes made it more fun and quirky. The downside is the actual trial mechanics and mini-games are absolutely trash, especially next to Ace Attorney. There are a lot of neat ideas, but the execution is just so bad... It brings the games from a solid 8/9 to about a 1/10 for me during those parts. Less really is more a lot of the times

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Seriously two levels below Ace Attorney.

But they're good.

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
I have very very little experience with the Ace Attorney games but I will not pass on recommending Danganrompa. I love all 3 games and I wish I could experience them again for the first time.

Apr 19, 2018
Huge fan of Ace Attorney and I loved Danganronpa. True, the overarching plot throughout the series gets pretty bonkers, but if you're onboard by the end of the first game, you'll be in for quite ride. The murders themselves are ingenious, hard-hitting, and legit mind-blowing; they can get pretty dark, so don't go in expecting the lighter touch that AA entails. Which isn't to say that game is bereft of comedy -- it's just black comedy. (Like, very black comedy.)

I feel there's a more acute sense of logic and evidence usage in Danganronpa than in Ace Attorney. Where in AA you were sometimes a step ahead of the curve in terms of narrative, which lead to roundabout ways of needing to present certain pieces of evidence when the game deems it appropriate, DR does a stellar job at keeping the player exactly in tune with the story's flow and revelations as the characters themselves are experiencing them. This leads to smarter choices and smarter storytelling overall.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Gonna be honest the actual murder mysteries in Dangan Ronpa are usually much weaker than in Phoenix Wright and I personally didn't really enjoy the character drama nearly as much.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
You'll love it OP. Probably even more than AA.

DR is a hell lot more consistent (main series wise) than AA.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've decided not to buy it... It seems it'll not be my thing. I can't stand anime and manga anymore, unfortunately.
Some games that are of the manga/anime kind I can like, persona being one of them, but this being a VN, I thought it wouldn't have so many tropes but it seems I'm wrong... But, well, I had to ask.

It seems like AI : The somnium files is closer to what you're looking for. It has a demo on some platforms (PS4, switch have a demo, none yet on pc as far as I can tell).

Last edited:

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Probably. It's not nearly as clever or well-written as Ace Attorney, but it has its own charm. Worth giving a shot.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
I enjoyed them much more than AA personally. Both suck at trials though from what I've played with AA being the worst.

AI: The Somnium Files is cool, but its psyncing which is basically another version of trials is also pretty bad.

AA has more clever writing, DR better plot development in my opinion. Ai being a bit in between.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Danganronpa as a voice actor so should you buy it.

Also, AI: Somnium Files has a perverted fifth-grade-level sex joke every four minutes, so...ugh.