• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
So, I started a diet a few months back, but I always hate working out in the gym and am not a fan of running. I just don't have the patience and I get bored.

Well, along comes BoxVR, which I bought for my PSVR. I played every day for 3 months and, combined with the diet, I lost over 40 pounds! I went from 210 lbs to 165 lbs and from a 38 waist to a 30 waist! In short, this "game" is fantastic! I sweat my ass off and it does not feel like exercise. I can't say enough good things about the game. I Platinumed it and had a blast. But, after a few months of the same old, I am losing the "excitement" and it is starting to bore me a bit.

I have Creed, which is a pretty good workout, but I find it super annoying because the Move controllers are not precise enough. I guess Beat Saber on "No Fail" is not bad either, but it is not really designed as a workout game.

Has anyone else played BoxVR and had good results?

Also, are there any other games that anyone can recommend that also double as a good workout (other than Creed and Beat Sabre, which I already have)?

Thanks for any recommendations!

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
If you enjoy Beat Saber, you might also enjoy Dance Dance Revolution!
There is a couple of console games, but you could also buy a cheap USB dance pad and play Stepmania on PC.

Feb 10, 2018
Nintendo-Ring-Fit-Adventure-on-Switch-1177076.jpg

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing job! How do you keep your PSVR safe during all that strenuous exercise? Doesn't it get sweaty?

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Wow, this is awesome, OP.

I remember years ago I used Wiifit to drop 25 lbs, it was great. I mixed it with the gym also.

Unfortunately, I gained it back and then some.

I was at 221lbs and I'm at 203 lbs now from gym and diet but man you got me wondering if I should go for a PSVR to get that extra 20 lbs down that I want.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Buy a high quality dance mat and download a ddr game. There are probably lots of people on this forum willing to give you mat and software recommendations

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Congrats on your achievement.

PS4 also has Just Dance. I have no idea if that's a good "fit" for you but might be worth a try.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's your own headset, but man - exercise wearing one of those things sounds gross!

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Well done, OP.

My fitness gotos lately on the Quest have been Racket NX, Beat Saber and Creed. Looking forward to picking up Box VR soon.

As for PSVR releases, maybe look into Sprint Vector if you haven't already. That was quite a work out when I tried it. Well made, extremely active racing game by the same folks who made Creed.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Out of all the VR fitness games I have tried I haven't really found one that is does what I need in terms of getting my heart rate up high enough for cardio but the one I found the most demanding was doing the real time speed run of Super Hot VR with my own music playing.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never thought of VR as a way to exercise, that sounds great. I might look into it, since going to the gym is also a chore/boring thing for me.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
I love BoxVR. I play it on the Quest when I can. The first time I played it I was sore as hell the next day.

How long did you play each day OP? I am starting to hit the 30-40 minute mark

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Knockout League is rad if you enjoyed other VR boxing games. It has a Punch-Out style to it with all sorts of zany themed boxers.

My only gripe about VR games that make me sweat is the fact I have a headset on while I'm playing them. I wish some of the games would give the option to just look at the TV instead.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Proud of you OP. I've never heard of BoxVR, but I will check it out.

It's already been mentioned, but I do love BeatSaber, that combined with crunches is usually my morning routine.

Also, it's a bit of a commitment, but Pokemon Go can be pretty good when you're not raging at RNGesus. I go on a 1 hour bike ride every day playing it.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Paintball is traditionally an outside activity, for one.

But that's also a little gross tbh.

I don't think you get my comment, I was refering the helmet you gotta wear. The product you need to clean both a paintball helmet and a vr headset is LITERALLY the same one

"ew sweat, ew"

let me tell you about the bacterias in your navel :P

Awesome job OP ! beat saber is clearly a go to if you wish to continue

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Great job OP! I hate going to the gym and since I work nights and public transport in my city is dead over night I can't really get myself there (unless I walk through dark streets at 2-3 in the morning).

I had never heard of BoxVR before but I looked it up on the PSN and it looks like Beat Saber but a boxing version of it so I'm tempted to give it a go. Glad to hear about the positive results it's had for you :)

just start going to the gym mate
Oh fuck off

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I have a question for anyone with box vr. I have the game on pc but stopped using it mainly because of how sweaty the headset could get. I have one of those windows mixed reality headsets where the foam parts are not removable so I don't really know how to clean them. I tried wearing a sweatband on my head under the headset to try to prevent sweat from getting soaked into it but it didnt keep it as dry as I would like.

Any tips on how to clean the foam on the headset or prevent it from getting sweaty? I dont want the headset to get gross so I stopped playing the game. As a person who NEEDS cardio every day (it allows me to keep my blood sugar levels at normal levels without any medication) I was hoping the game could have been a substitute every now and then for my 20 mile bike rides on the stationary bike just to switch things up.

Last edited:

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
I used to be SHREDDED playing DDR. Like full set of abs and everything and I didn't event go into it with that goal, I just enjoyed it. Now I'm a flabby 36 year old.

I will say that if you like the movement and workout of boxing that getting a heavy bag and having the ability to just unleash your anger and frustration on something is SUPER satisfying. I was a member of a boxing gym for about a year and loved the workout. Sparring with a friend is also one of the most grueling workouts you could ever do. I actually signed up for a fight a few years back and got my ass DESTROYED, but it was one of the proudest moments of my life - setting the goal of fighting a real fight, training, devoting time energy and mindspace to it and then executing (and losing).

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Great job OP. However this is another reminder not to share anyone's VR headset. Who knows how drenched in sweat it's been.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
Dang, 45 lbs. That's awesome! I need to lose that much, and I might try your method.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
So, I started a diet a few months back, but I always hate working out in the gym and am not a fan of running. I just don't have the patience and I get bored.

Well, along comes BoxVR, which I bought for my PSVR. I played every day for 3 months and, combined with the diet, I lost over 40 pounds! I went from 210 lbs to 165 lbs and from a 38 waist to a 30 waist! In short, this "game" is fantastic! I sweat my ass off and it does not feel like exercise. I can't say enough good things about the game. I Platinumed it and had a blast. But, after a few months of the same old, I am losing the "excitement" and it is starting to bore me a bit.

I have Creed, which is a pretty good workout, but I find it super annoying because the Move controllers are not precise enough. I guess Beat Saber on "No Fail" is not bad either, but it is not really designed as a workout game.

Has anyone else played BoxVR and had good results?

Also, are there any other games that anyone can recommend that also double as a good workout (other than Creed and Beat Sabre, which I already have)?

Thanks for any recommendations!
How long are you game sessions on average?