• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Title explains it all

Looking for some fantasy novels with horror elements. Or just general sick shit that would evoke a souls game or Berserk.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow of the Torturer/The Book of the New Sun leaps to mind.

The book Annihilation has incredible dungeon crawling atmosphere despite being a sci-fi situation in modern day. The movie didn't quite capture it.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
The Black Company series gets mentioned in the same context as those a lot.

blainethemono

Oct 27, 2017
Robin Hobb's books feature a bunch of disgusting and unnerving species of monsters that have super tragic histories, that are also grounded in the sense that they have very specifically designed biological needs and aren't oversimplistically fantastical. her characters generally don't achieve many victories without a ton of pain along the way, but when those victories are eventually attained it's a uniquely cathartic experience that i haven't felt often with works of fiction.

she also has a really strong grasp of drip feeding lore and world building over hundreds of pages and not exposing everything too soon, which makes her work feel more similar to Souls/etc than anything GRRM

i need to read Berserk

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Here's some authors who have written in this vein. I would put Glen Cook, but I can't say I've ever enjoyed anything he's written.

Gene Wolfe (Book of the New Sun, Book of the Short Sun, Book of the Long Sun)
James Enge (A Tournament of Shadows)
Jack Vance (Cugel's Saga, The Dying Earth)
Lucius Shepard (Dragon Griaule series)
Steph Swainston (Castle series)
Steven Erikson (parts of Malazan)
Martha Wells (The Cloud Roads series)
Fritz Lieber (stories)

Someone already mentioned Robin Hobb. The Fitz and the Fool series has some books like this, as the protagonist is a lone adventurer with a wolf companion. She also has a dragon wilds series that is connected with the original.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oddly enough, the only thing to ever come close for me was a novel called Black Leapord Red Wolf.
50608676.jpg

An African fantasy series, but felt a lot like Berserk to me in a surprising number of ways. Warning that it's probably the most brutal thing I've ever read.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
If you're looking for the vibes you get when talking to depressed NPC's in a Souls game, maybe Titus Groan?

Synopsis
Starts with the birth and ends with the first birthday celebrations of the heir to the grand, tradition-bound castle of Gormenghast. A grand miasma of doom and foreboding weaves over the sterile rituals of the castle. Villainous Steerpike seeks to exploit the gaps between the formal rituals and the emotional needs of the ruling family for his own profit.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Various "grimdark" fantasy books will be in the ballpark, depending on exactly which aspects of Dark Souls and/or Berserk you are really for.

My one big atypical option: Hollow by Brian Catling.

It is incredibly hard to convey the magic of this book but I feel it fits perfectly within Dark Souls' milieu, bleak and violent, weird and conveyed to the audience with a certain 'it is up to you to parse whatever meaning the story holds' style. It is not full of sword swingin' action though, if that is important to you.

This plot synopsis from tor.com does a decent job:
In some version of 16th century Europe, a band of brutal mercenaries is transporting a misshapen and inhuman Oracle (always capitalized) to a monastery at the base of Das Kagel, the vast terraced mountain that once, perhaps, was the Tower of Babel. To sustain the Oracle and prepare it for its eventual immurement in the monastery's Cyst, the mercenaries, all old in evil, must whisper their darkest secrets to a box of bones. Once Steeped in confessed wickedness, the marrow from the bones may be fed to the Oracle. At the monastery, young Friar Dominic has his voice mysteriously stolen, while the abbot conducts mysterious research on demons and spends days in the Glandula Misericordia, which is the vale, protected by the abbey's walls, that encompasses "three square miles of confined isolation in which rages a perpetual war between the living and the dead," a horrifying sight that "is not a manifestation of evil but the workings of the mind of God." Finally, a prematurely old woman, Meg, sometimes called Dull Gret, finds herself leading a crew of impish familiars against a corrupt constabulary.

Oddly enough, the only thing to ever come close for me was a novel called Black Leapord Red Wolf.
50608676.jpg

An African fantasy series, but felt a lot like Berserk to me in a surprising number of ways. Warning that it's probably the most brutal thing I've ever read.
This a wonderfully unexpected pick, it is so markedly different in the basic details but look past that and it does tick a lot of the boxes. Fantastic book either way.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What does the anime cover?

Uh, from what I've heard/just looked up, it doesn't cover the whole story, like about 1/3 of it. The last 3 episodes make up an anime original ending because there wasn't any source material for the anime to adapt at the time.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the opening of the book should you or anyone else care to sample it.
www.tor.com

Read an Excerpt From B. Catling's Hollow - Reactor

An epic odyssey following a group of mercenaries hired to deliver a church’s ultimate power.

It really is a remarkable book but I am wary of recommending it at times, something about the 'Fantasy' genre and its expectations makes me feel like I need to put asterisks everywhere so people don't go in expecting something the book is not, if that makes sense.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
pic6305257.jpg

The Iconoclasts trilogy by Mike Shel comes close. It's set in a dark and bleak world with various kingdoms, ancient religions, Lovecraftian horror, demons, monsters, etc. The books follow a few characters that are part of something called the Syriaec League, which is a group focused on exploring ancient dungeons and temples and researching old artifacts and more. It almost feels like a videogame adaption in novel form.

I would recommend it, it's a light and fun read between heavier books.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Elric the Eternal Champion is what you're looking for. It's heavy metal dark fantasy by Michael Moorcock.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
You might want to check this out. It's a Litrpg/gamelit genre It also has audiobooks versions if you prefer that
ihz4as5s02j51.jpg

kpf4lelu3n871.jpg

Pyresouls Apocalypse: Rewind: A Dark Fantasy LitRPG/Gamelit Story (Pyresouls Apocalypse, Book 1) - Kindle edition by Callum, James T.. Humor & Entertainment Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Pyresouls Apocalypse: Rewind: A Dark Fantasy LitRPG/Gamelit Story (Pyresouls Apocalypse, Book 1) - Kindle edition by Callum, James T.. Humor & Entertainment Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Pyresouls Apocalypse: Futures Grave: A Dark Fantasy LitRPG/Gamelit Story (Pyresouls Apocalypse, Book 2) - Kindle edition by Callum, James T.. Humor & Entertainment Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Pyresouls Apocalypse: Futures Grave: A Dark Fantasy LitRPG/Gamelit Story (Pyresouls Apocalypse, Book 2) - Kindle edition by Callum, James T.. Download it once and read it on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets. Use features like bookmarks, note taking and highlighting while reading...

Last edited:

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Various "grimdark" fantasy books will be in the ballpark, depending on exactly which aspects of Dark Souls and/or Berserk you are really for.

My one big atypical option: Hollow by Brian Catling.

It is incredibly hard to convey the magic of this book but I feel it fits perfectly within Dark Souls' milieu, bleak and violent, weird and conveyed to the audience with a certain 'it is up to you to parse whatever meaning the story holds' style. It is not full of sword swingin' action though, if that is important to you.

This plot synopsis from tor.com does a decent job:

This a wonderfully unexpected pick, it is so markedly different in the basic details but look past that and it does tick a lot of the boxes. Fantastic book either way.
50608676.jpg

Damn, these sound great, thanks for the recommendations!

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
50608676.jpg

One of those books I've been meaning to read after getting recommended a few times. Time to bump it up to the shortlist. That Hollow novel someone else mentioned sounds great as well

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Book of the New Sun is definitely in the Dark Souls vein of a weird and obscure new world that's dangerous, and you're trying to piece together what's actually going on.

It would translate to a souls-like game very well.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
The_Black_Company.jpg

Black Comany you can see a lot of the foundations of the Berzerk/Souls dark fantasy template. Came out 5 years before Berzerk. It's also a good book in itself following a mercenary company (sound familiar?) being Part of a war with fantastical characters like the Lady, Soulcatcher, etc. Told in a unique journal like style

Jun 24, 2019
I started Joe Abercrombie's, The First Law series thanks to this guy. He offers some good recommendations.

If you're interested in toku shows, I highly suggest Garo. It has a similar vibe to DMC and Dark Souls - GARO (2005), Garo: Honoo no Kokuin (2014)

Last edited:

Banjo Tango

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Shadow of the Torturer/The Book of the New Sun leaps to mind.

The book Annihilation has incredible dungeon crawling atmosphere despite being a sci-fi situation in modern day. The movie didn't quite capture it.

Wanted to second these, all feel very surreal in that Dark Souls way.

If you're looking for the vibes you get when talking to depressed NPC's in a Souls game, maybe Titus Groan?

And this. And the sequel, Gormengast. Third book is a bit of a departure, so be warned.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No monsters and very little combat, but I can't recommend Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast novels enough (technically called the Titus Groan novels i think).

Often not much is happening but every sentence DRIPS with dark fantasy atmosphere and mind-bogglingly rich, twisted imagery. It mostly describes the world and culture of the remote great castle Gormenghast, and its weird inbred politic and culture. Just the description of all its thousands of locations is like a Souls game, before you even get to the insidious and manipulative characters.

It came out around the same time as Lord of the Rings i think and is vastly superior. Shit is almost 100 years old and a titan of dark fantasy literature.

1. Titus Groan
2. Gormenghast
3. Titus Alone (sadly written while Mervyn Peake had dementia so it's really weird and off)

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Throwing in my vote for Book of the New Sun and The Black Company. Excellent reads.

BotNS is pretty mind blowing as you start piecing it together.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
I'm reminded of Karl Edward Wagner's Kane series, a loose collection of novellas and novels that are very much in the sword and sorcery vein (think Conan the Barbarian) but with major horror elements. The caveat here is that I have yet to read these - I have a set of paperbacks that have been waiting patiently for many years - so I can't personally vouch for the series. However, I have read a fair amount of Wagner's straight horror fiction and thought it was powerful and intense, so I would expect the same with his Kane character. Read through some of the reviews and Goodreads - excerpts have been included in some of the comments for Night Winds - and see how it grabs you.

I also second the recommendations for Robin Hobb (start with Assassin's Apprentice, Glen Cook (start with The Black Company, and Fritz Lieber (start with Swords and Deviltry.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
The Broken Empire Trilogy by Mark Lawrence is plenty violent and I really enjoyed them.

kinda medievel and post-apocalyptic.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Read the first three Black Company books and would definetly say it's a fit. They were really great reads that had me hooked.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
50608676.jpg

Having a pull quote saying "literary equivalent of MCU" is the easiest way to dissuade me from reading this lol, but it sounds intriguing despite that. Michael B Jordan has got the rights to make a film adaptation of this, give him Black Panther level of resources!