• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I am extremely happy with getting RE3 this soon. I didn't expect it for years. As long as the games are this good I'm enjoying the current pace very much.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about the Resident Evil games but why would it matter if the games are good?

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Meh, I almost agree with this tbh, but RE3 is kinda the exception as well as it being bundled with Resistance (which to date I have zero interest in). That being said I wouldn't mind a breather year in 2021 for a hopefully January 2022 release of RE8

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
If the quality holds up then I have no issues with it.

RE games are short games, most of which can finish in 12 hours. Annual release not a problem

I kinda wish the games were longer though, I really don't believe the so called ''perfect length''
Just because you don't have much free time doesn't mean a 6 hour long game is more perfect than a 20 hour one.

RE4 was about 10 times longer than RE7 & RE2 Remake and it was just as replay-able, if not better.
Alien Isolation was very long as well and people loved it.

I definitely wouldn't mind another RE game that's similar to RE4's length, even if it means a 3 to 4 years dev time.

Last edited:

Deleted member 26293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think they are different enough to each other there's no risk of it becoming stale.

They are also amazing games, that helps too.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
RE games are short games, most of which can finish in 12 hours. Annual release not a problem
They also tend to be different enough from each other. Of the games OP mentioned:
  • RE7 is first-person survival horror (potentially played in VR).
  • RE2 is third-person survival horror.
  • RE3 is third-person action horror.
  • RE: Resistance is asymmetrical multiplayer with survivors versus a mastermind and traps.
So yeah, risk of burnout is pretty minimal.

Oct 26, 2017
As you're counting REsistance,

Umbrella Chronicles and 0 HD in 2016
Revelations 2 in 2015
RE1 HD in 2014
Revelations in 2013
RE6 in 2012
The Mercenaries 3D in 2011

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the quality holds up then I have no issues with it.

I kinda wish the games were longer though, I really don't believe the so called ''perfect length''
Just because you don't have much free time doesn't mean a 6 hour long game is more perfect than a 20 hour one.

RE4 was about 10 times longer than RE7 & RE2 Remake and it was just as replay-able, if not better.
Alien Isolation was very long as well and people loved it.

The reason why RE4 was so long is partly because it had such a long dev time. I don't expect we will see a RE game come close to that length anytime soon. Certainly not if there is a yearly release schedule in place. So i do wish that Capcom eases it up just a little bit next gen.

Last edited:

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They have been good at managing the development timeline and quality of their game so far, so I'm not too worry about it.
RE3 will be their first game in couple of years where they actually outsource it to the external studio, which is a bit different this time as it's all managed by the same people who work at Capcom before. Let see how it work out.

azz0r

Sep 2, 2019
I see the problem if it becomes as lazy as COD. However everything's been high quality so far.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
They've pretty much had that density of titles through last-gen, if you're counting Resistance.

RE5, Operation Raccoon City, RE6, Revelations. Then Revelations 2 outside of the four years.

There's a lot of Resident Evil but I think quality is what will impact sales ultimately.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
As long as developers deliver top quality games I wouldn't mind annual releases. Usually they don't, though, so I understand some concerns. I'd only bother if it really shows, though. Let's see and wait how RE3 will turn out.

Jun 18, 2018
They also tend to be different enough from each other. Of the games OP mentioned:
  • RE7 is first-person survival horror (potentially played in VR).
  • RE2 is third-person survival horror.
  • RE3 is third-person action horror.
  • RE: Resistance is asymmetrical multiplayer with survivors versus a mastermind and traps.
So yeah, risk of burnout is pretty minimal.

I'd say the burnout comes from repetition of the premise in the horror genre, rather than the gameplay. Hence RE7 needed to cut out so much of what came before.

If anything, I wish RE7 went further with its separation from the rest of the series in order to be able to sustain the horror and mystery for a whole new trilogy.

Jul 24, 2018
I agree in regards to the remakes, having them all play and look the same ala the Yakuza titles can lead to burnout and stagnation. I would rather see more new games like RE8.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Eh. I trust Capcom to deliver quality games. I couldn't believe it when they announced RE3 for 2020.I expected 2021 earliest. But again, I Capcom has delivered bangers this gen so I'm not worried

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say the burnout comes from repetition of the premise in the horror genre, rather than the gameplay. Hence RE7 needed to cut out so much of what came before.

If anything, I wish RE7 went further with its separation from the rest of the series in order to be able to sustain the horror and mystery for a whole new trilogy.
Starting anew can have its downsides as well, even if I can respect what they did with RE7.

Ethan and Mia were pretty bad protagonists (particularly Ethan). Part of why the fans appreciate RE are that the main characters are pretty easy to like. Not really the case with these two, I'd say. They did seem to realize this, and had some fun making Joe Baker for the DLC, to be fair.

Non-existent enemy variety (excluding the Baker family, of course). There's biped Molded and quadruped Molded. That's more or less it. Nothing as good as the classics like Lickers, Hunters, Las Plagas, etc.

If they can rectify these sorts of problems for RE8, I won't mind as much that it's disconnected from the rest of the series.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping they have Remake 4 for first nextgen RE in 2021. bring it on.

Tsar Pharaoh

Nov 29, 2017
Look, Capcom is doing great and they deliver the good shit nowadays but i think they are releasing too many Resident Evil titles.

From 2017 to 2020 we will have 4 Resident Evil games released (RE7, RE2, Resistance and RE3), i understand Resident Evil is a major brand of Capcom and it's the only horror series that can still sell millions but releasing a new game every year, in the long run, is going to hurt the sales, 2 years between RE7 and RE2 were perfect imo.

RE7 and RE2 did good sales wise, Capcom was smart to bundle RE Resistance with RE3 but i don't think the latter will do as good as RE2.

I really expected RE3 by 2021 and RE8 in 2023, but at this pace we are most likely getting RE8 in 2021 and the next REmake in 2022...

What do you guys think? Are you ok with Resident Evil yearly release?
Remakes of past games in the series should not be included in the every year talk since they were already established. Now、 if it were actually new titles/entries in the series then yeah that can be understood but remakes dont count.

Jun 18, 2018
Non-existent enemy variety (excluding the Baker family, of course). There's biped Molded and quadruped Molded. That's more or less it. Nothing as good as the classics like Lickers, Hunters, Las Plagas, etc.

Considering the moulded have the ability to spawn out of nowhere, disintegrate into the ground and can't cross rooms I got the impression they were designed with technical limitations in mind and the desire to not have dead bodies pile up. I'm hoping RE2 solved the former issue with their tech and, as a result, we'll get much more interesting enemies & dynamic encounters in RE8 :)

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It's not going to hurt shit as long as they have the development time and the skill that goes with it. It didn't hurt Assassin's Creed sales for a long time

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's not.

RE Resistance is a complete game, with both MP and SP

Yeah, an article from September. And then they announced that Resident Evil 3 is the Single Player mode of that game recently during the Sony stream. Has anyone even watched the announcement of the game, and the way they framed it?

RE Resistance is the MP mode of Resident Evil 3 to the point where there's screenshots of it on the Resident Evil 3 Steam page. Why do people not understand this lol

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
The reason why RE4 was so long is partly because it had such a long dev time. I don't expect we will see a RE game come close to that length anytime soon. Certainly not if there is a yearly release schedule in place. So i do wish that Capcom eases it up just a little bit next gen.

I agree, shorter games like RE7 is fine but I really miss RE games like 4 where I can just keep playing for literally weeks.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If SFVI is gonna be Capcom's big 2021 title, you might get your wish for that year.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I agree. I dont want any franchise I like to be annual.

No matter how good the games it always kills off my interest after a couple years in a row.

Diodejenero

Jan 18, 2018
United States
Yeah, an article from September. And then they announced that Resident Evil 3 is the Single Player mode of that game recently during the Sony stream. Has anyone even watched the announcement of the game, and the way they framed it?

RE Resistance is the MP mode of Resident Evil 3 to the point where there's screenshots of it on the Resident Evil 3 Steam page. Why do people not understand this lol

I interpreted that line from the State of Play to be a way of masking what they were about to show. Instead of saying, "Now for a look at Resident Evil 3" they said it was the single player mode for Resistance to probably save the reveal for the trailer

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't understand how people can get burned out of a game series that gets yearly good releases.

People got tired of Call of Duty because some campaigns got pretty underwhelming and multiplayer was more of the same with a few additions here and there.

I, particularly, got a bit burned out on Yakuza because we got a full game every six months, and the completion lists can take their toll on completionists. However, I wouldn't say that's the series' fault. The games themselves, stories and substories, minigames and additional content are great, and I brought the burnout on myself by trying to achieve 100% on every game in the series, which ain't that different from people who play CoD multiplayer all year long.

Assassin's Creed is another that has mostly good campaigns surrounded by a ton of additional content that can burn people out. I went through the whole series (sans the first one and Odyssey) this year and had a great time with it. Even buggier titles such as 3 and Unity were still very fun to play and had interesting plots. Some of the side content got tiresome, yeah, but the good outweighed the bad by far.

Resident Evil has been giving us consistently good titles for now, and I want to believe Capcom will keep raising the bar. As long as they're delivering strong single player campaigns, they can keep making yearly releases.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad they are going ahead with 3 on the current engine and visuals before PS5/SX starts. I'd rather play it now than wait, but I'm a major RE fan to be fair. I don't think it will hurt the quality of 3 because its coming so soon. I just hope people don't expect vast changes to the game play like the complaints we saw when RE5 released complaining the gameplay had not changed from 4, which was the first change in the main titles.

Boy oh boy though, Gimmie that Code Veronica remake. That's the one that has the most potential. Turn the opinion of that one around PLS CAPGOD

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I wouldn't mind getting a mainline every 3 or 4 years and a remake bi-yearly. If they could squeeze a co-op RE in there too I would be thrilled.

Keep 'em coming.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
As long as they dont forget about new games i dont mind remakes every year, there are a lot of smaller games itd be nice to see shiny again

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Too late, the media nominated 2 for a Game of the Year nom....for a old ass story.

As long as people buy them they will prioritize them over other titles it seems.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Too late, the media nominated 2 for a Game of the Year nom....for a old ass story.

As long as people buy them they will prioritize them over other titles it seems.
It deserved the nom. It's based on an older game, but it's also its own thing, just like FF7R will be its own thing and most likely also nominated.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see Capcom of today having that kind of production pipeline. Things just lined up that way this time.

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
I personally see nothing wrong with Resident Evil having frequent releases, IF the quality of the content is there. I'm also extremely biased with RE being one of my favorite franchisees so I wouldn't mind it what so ever. However, I can't stress again that the quality needs to remain in tact. The last thing I would hate to see is that Capcom end up taking RE back in the weird "action hero movie" style like they did with RE4-6.

Oct 25, 2017
They've been aiming for yearly releases for a while. 2015 had Rev 2, 2016 had Umbrella Corps, 2017 had RE7. Then a year's gap before RE2 in 2019 and RE3 in 2020.

With that said, I suspect that the reason RE3 is coming so soon AND being released in April rather than their usual Q1 window is to give them some breathing space going into next gen. It gives them a guaranteed hit for the next FY. I wouldn't expect to see RE8, or any big next gen title from them, until Q1 2022.

Jul 26, 2018
Not a big deal really. I mean... RE7 had finished development end of 2016, RE2 end of 2018. RE3 being ready a year and a half later is an outlier, it uses a lot of assets from RE2 and it's a relatively short game

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it's a yearly release strategy as much as games being ready when they are. Until recently, Capcom had RE7, RE2, RE3, and Project Resistance in development. 2 had issues and was delayed; 3 was originally meant to release with 2, but also had issues. Also, three of these share a lot of assets, and at least a few gameplay elements.

Maybe they could have Code Veronica, RE4, and RE8 in dev too, but two of these would need way more new assets compared to the others.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
They can release every 3 months for all I care, as long as the quality stays RE7/RE2 level

RE3 was probably a lot quicker to make, as well.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm the opposite. Give me all the remakes STAT.

Though I am sure we'll get a break in 2022 when they release Dino Crisis.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Look, Capcom is doing great and they deliver the good shit nowadays but i think they are releasing too many Resident Evil titles.

From 2017 to 2020 we will have 4 Resident Evil games released (RE7, RE2, Resistance and RE3), i understand Resident Evil is a major brand of Capcom and it's the only horror series that can still sell millions but releasing a new game every year, in the long run, is going to hurt the sales, 2 years between RE7 and RE2 were perfect imo.

RE7 and RE2 did good sales wise, Capcom was smart to bundle RE Resistance with RE3 but i don't think the latter will do as good as RE2.

I really expected RE3 by 2021 and RE8 in 2023, but at this pace we are most likely getting RE8 in 2021 and the next REmake in 2022...

What do you guys think? Are you ok with Resident Evil yearly release?
They aren't.

If you had followed the development an interview, you would have known Capcom wanted to release both game back to back but problem arise in the third game.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

RE Residentence is a separate game with no connections to RE3. It being Resistence's singleplayer campaign was Capcom trying to surprise us, which they might have if not for the leaks. The way they are package together can be confusing, but they are two different games.