• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do You Like New Powers or Old Powers more?

• New

Votes: 165 38.6%
  • Old

Votes: 161 37.6%
  • Like both roughly the same

Votes: 89 20.8%
  • Dislike Both

Votes: 13 3.0%

• Total voters

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
This May be a Hot take but I am in love with what there doing with M.S Marvel in the MCU so Far.

Like many I was super Bummed out and Concerned when I heard they were changing her powers.

After 6 episodes I am beyond Sold Her New Kit is so Dang Cool. Visually the Heard Light is very Striking and has such a Cool Flair that doesn't Look like anything in the MCU.

In practical use she Can still Replicate Stretching and Embiggen But also the Suspended Platforms are Really awesome and the Parkour she does is interesting to watch.

She uses shrinking but we still have Antman and Wasp to fill that Niche so I am not heartbroken.

Just Look at this Cool Shit

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVA7E_VMmUA

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Stretchy powers are super lame, so I agree. Hard light is cool.

I don't know if they're gonna let her shapeshift using hard light (I don't know how that would work), which would be a downgrade for her overall powerset if she can't, but I don't mind the fact she can't stretch. Stretchy powers are for dorks.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm okay with it since they kind of breezed through her (major) insecurity phase.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Her original powers are kind of lame, but they're visually unique. Hard light is overplayed in the superhero space and FEELS generic, even if there's probably as many popular/recognizable stretchy people as there are Green Lantern knockoffs.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean she will still do all her stretchy/embiggen powers with the new hardlight stuff, so it's fine.

I don't really feel one way or another about it.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
They took what little was good of her original powers and made it more interesting and, more importantly, more purple. That's what we in the biz call a win-win

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
The stretch armstrong/mr fantastic powers were dumb. The hard light stuff looks rad and much less comic book-y to me.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
They made it work really well. I was never too skeptical but I remember there being a lot of hand-wringing over the original decision. Glad to see people ended up liking the hard light powers.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I do too, if she going to be cosmic, give her cosmic shit

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
It's okay, I don't find them nearly as interesting but her original powers work a lot less in live action than they do on a page. I just hope this doesn't result in changing her in comics. That would really annoy me.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She's not stretchy, she's a polymorph. But go ahead and enjoy your generic as fuck green lantern powers.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
I like the hard light powers. Her running through the city by hop scotching above the streets just has a cool look to it

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think comic Ms. Marvel looks really goofy with her "EMBIGGEN" powers. Like a way more comical version of Mr. Fantastic. She's clearly not a Plastic Man style character, so I never found her powers paired with her character all that well for the type of stories they tried to tell.

Her new abilities in the MCU are way more interesting, and in a way, I take her character more seriously. I actually wouldn't mind if the comics just decided to do the same thing the MCU did with her abilities.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I'm not invested either way but I think that her shapeshifting powers would have been really goofy and fun. The problem is that the visual effects for them probably would have made Kamala look like a body horror monstrosity and that's not at all what they're going for with her character.

I wouldnt mind the hard light powers if it didnt look so bad with its effect and cg
The shapeshifting powers would have looked much worse!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think comic Ms. Marvel looks really goofy with her "EMBIGGEN" powers. Like a way more comical version of Mr. Fantastic. She's clearly not a Plastic Man style character, so I never found her powers paired with her character all that well for the type of stories they tried to tell.

Her new abilities in the MCU are way more interesting, and in a way, I take her character more seriously. I actually wouldn't mind if the comics just decided to do the same thing the MCU did with her abilities.
I don't them because they kinda of swerved. Like they hard doing full shapeshifting, like into a couch and shit. Like if she was like Exiles Morph I be down with that, but generic stretching, leave that to Flatman.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
She's not stretchy, she's a polymorph. But go ahead and enjoy your generic as fuck green lantern powers.

I love it when people go "sHe'S A pOlyMoRPH" as if that's something real and serious that needs to be respected and not just another made up word for being a certain kind of stretchy in comic books

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Just feels like a lame version of Green Lantern to me. The Embiggen powers were cool and she was very fun to play as in Marvel's Avengers.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Her polymorph powers. The people at Marvel made a conscious decision to not give her "pretty" powers. Her powers represent her being an awkward teenager. She often comes across as very gangly for this reason.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
I much prefer her original set, but I understand that is hard to pull off in an attractive way in the live action medium (at least at lower budgets) so I get it. Just please don't bring hard light to the comics, please.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I like them both. What I like more about the show is her powers and her actual origin being tied with her cultural background, rather than just her being an inhuman

Mib

Nov 16, 2017
Hard light is better than stretchy limbs, but aren't her real powers actually shape-shifting? She only uses them to stretch, but she's Mystique with less limits irrc.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We have people in robot suits, others with super strength and laser eyes, but visual constructs is where we draw the line for "generic?" lol

Green Lantern's abilities are far from generic. And the way it's implemented in Kamala is very different. The GL memes fall flat unless you haven't watched the show.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Polymorph powers have made for some interesting solutions to problems, let alone some cool visuals.

Hard light is a hilarious name, but a lame visual, and just isnt nearly as interesting as an ability.

And i would wager that they made the change because polymorph powers would take greater time and effort to look… passable. And it's obvious that disney's not putting in the money and time for the cgi teams to do that, so.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
It's fine. She can still make herself "big" when she needs to. It's whatever, she has her own identity in the MCU now.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The only time it was ok was when she embiggened at the end.
Sucks that she'll never be able to shrink though.

Being a polymorph greatly increased storytelling options.

Also sucks that she's a mutie.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I feel sorry for all those X-Men with unique and "goofy" abilities since people will want them changed.

They made it work but would've still preferred her original powers.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
All in all, I do. She basically still has her old powerset in a new package with additional abilities.

I think the floating platforms are kind of lame currently since it seems like the way they show her leaping around seems unnecessarily exhausting, but it does seem useful for traversal and I can imagine that having her improve her skills will eventually have her stretching and platforming in a way that almost as effortlessly cool as Spider-Man.

Not sure why people still complain about her being like Green Lantern when her powers are like 10% platforms, 20% defensive shields, and 70% stretchy fists.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to see what they do in the comic realm. Marvel loves their almost 1:1 parity with the movies/tv, so I just wonder how they wing the change (probably terribly if it hasn't been done already—I've sworn off 2018-2022 marvel)

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Hard light powers are really aesthetic. I really dig her aerial parkour and traversal with these new powers. The showcase in the finale was awesome.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I agree. Especially from the viewpoint of a television show or film. They look cool.

We'll be getting stretchy powers with Reed Richards anyway.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'm curious to see what they do in the comic realm. Marvel loves their almost 1:1 parity with the movies/tv, so I just wonder how they wing the change (probably terribly if it hasn't been done already—I've sworn off 2018-2022 marvel)
Given that the credits of Ms Marvel were always full of big ol' hands references and visuals, I don't see them changing it yet. Both can coexist.

Oct 27, 2017
I much prefer her original ones. New ones look generic as hell.

They could have at least given her both if they were gonna do this. Let her be freaky but most of the time use the green lantern garbage so the CGI shit can be cheaper.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I feel like they're roughly equal. I think her body morph powers were cool and she has abilities that won't work with the hard-light powers. (Shrinking, shapeshifting) But she has other powers in her hard-light form that make up. (Making shields, platforms, effectively running on air)
Overall I think both are cool.