• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

"We will use all out resources to help find out who attacked you, Qui-gon" (paraphrasing, of course)

NEXT COUNCIL SCENE

"Nah, why don't YOU and your ONE apprentice just go back yourselves and deal with red spiky-head dude, even though he was kicking your ass in Tattooine. Good luck to you!"

WHAT

THE

FUCK!?

Qui-gon already told them chucklefucks about Maul. He was clearly LOSING against him when they fought on Tattooine, he had to jump up to the ship just to escape and survive. SURELY he told the council all of this, that this possible Sith-dude was a dangerous opponent and strong in the force. So the wise and sage councils advice is to just GO BACK AND FIGHT HIM AGAIN?

I know, I know, he has Obi-wan, one young apprentice that we are told (but never shown, because Lucas) that he still "has much to learn." AKA he can't win against Maul, either. The only reason Obi-wan beat High-ground Maul was because the plot needed him too.

So why the fuck hell didn't the council send more Jedi to help? They can do this. WE KNOW they can do this. Why? BECAUSE THEY DO IT IN AOTC!

latest

Imagine if instead of doing that, the council just said "Nah, Anakin, just you go by yourself and rescue Obi-wan. Good luck!"

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember, in canon they were in temple built on ancient Sith base so the evil energy clouded their head and that's why they did all this.

#spirtualevilenergyhubris

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
I was thinking the same thing while rewatching it last week. The movie was ok for me up to the point. "Oh a sith? No way! You should just go take care of him your self, we aren't curious at all."
Also, we are unsure about this little boy and don't want you training him... so take him with you into certain doom!

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
That's the point. The Jedi Council is supposed to be an incompetent bureaucracy that inadvertently caused its own downfall. What I'm not sure of is whether Lucas intended to write the Council as incompetent or he decided that they would be incompetent after the fact to justify his poor writing

OP
OP
El Bombastico

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking the same thing while rewatching it last week. The movie was ok for me up to the point. "Oh a sith? No way! You should just go take care of him your self, we aren't curious at all."
Also, we are unsure about this little boy and don't want you training him... so take him with you into certain doom!

I like to imagine they hoped Anakin would be killed in the crossfire...

OP
OP
El Bombastico

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's the point. The Jedi Council is supposed to be an incompetent bureaucracy that inadvertently caused its own downfall. What I'm not sure of is whether Lucas intended to write the Council as incompetent or he decided that they would be incompetent after the fact to justify his poor writing

Given the sad music that plays during Order 66 montage, the latter.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
These movies don't have good writing
No, we must discuss every single throwaway line or plot in these films (and comics, tv shows, games, novels) in excruciating detail.

Lucas probably wanted to save the big Jedi battle scene with lots of them on screen at once for the next movie. Multiple Jedis was still a new concept at this point in time.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Jedi deserved to fall. Bunch of idiots.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
It's probably because some off brand Mogwai had no clue what he was doing.

2a6aa29411b703c53fc4c68e95074dcc44b2d489.jpg
My favorite thing when this came out and everyone's like, "Why's Yoda look like he's drinking Boone's Farm and yelling at trees?" and they went through all this trouble to convince everyone that they used the original puppet molds when they clearly didn't.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
just look how dismissive they were of Qui-Gon in that first clip. "Oh look, Mr. hipster "living force" Jedi thinks he found the chosen one lol"

by the end of Episode 3 Yoda is like "... Qui-Gon's ghost came to talk to me. Yeah we fucked up. Imma go be his padawan for couple decades on Dagobah. Peace. "

Shoulda taken Qui-Gon seriously from the start.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's too bad none of the prequels were particularly well written.
I suppose I just let it go and was like oooo space battle + lightsabers, I'll give it a pass

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
just look how dismissive they were of Qui-Gon in that first clip. "Oh look, Mr. hipster "living force" Jedi thinks he found the chosen one lol"

by the end of Episode 3 Yoda is like "... Qui-Gon's ghost came to talk to me. Yeah we fucked up. Imma go be his padawan for couple decades on Dagobah. Peace. "

Shoulda taken Qui-Gon seriously from the start.
I'm pretty sure if Qui-Gon had lived and trained Anakin, Darth Vader would've never happened.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I also love how terrible the Jedi masters are in KOTOR 2. Trust in the Force, because you can't trust them. 🤨

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure if Qui-Gon had lived and trained Anakin, Darth Vader would've never happened.
Basically. That's one of my favorite *Only fully explored in EU elements of the prequels* Obi-Wan and Anakin are way way to close for a functional Master/Padawan relationship. Anakin is off-balance to begin with and he never gets a solid foundation because him and Obi cling to each other.
Though with any other master Anakin probably would've either pissed off mid-way through his training or turned to the Dark Side earlier.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine trying to wrap your head around the writing in the prequels

It's all fucking nonsense

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Or when they did nothing to help out a kid's mother from slavery lol

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The most ridiculous thing in AOTC is that instead of that large group of armed people blasting the shit out of an unarmed Maul on sight, they all just go another way and leave the two jedi to deal with him. Like seriously there are so many people here, all armed, and they decide to just go another way. cvbnm
UKibJAy.gif

Because the plot demanded it.

*Yoda voice*
Mmmm go fuck yourself you will
Lmao

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
The Jedi council are the dumbest, laziest, cruelest people in the galaxy. They deserved to be wiped out.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
The council was incompetent because the plot demanded it. If anyone besides Palpatine has a brain, none of the movies would've happen.

Alternatively: Yoda hated Qui-Gon and wanted him quite gone

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also why do they just let Anakin go back to Nabboo where a crazed mysterious Sith assassin and a Separatist invasion is happening? Yoda even says Anakin needs a master, shouldn't he have told Anakin to just chill out in the Jedi Temple for a bit until things get sorted out with Maul first? Like deflect some bolts from training droids and shit?

Nah they had to have Anakin accidentally blow up an entire Trade Federation Blockade

Fuck these movies are so bad lol

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
When Amidala made her case before the Senate, it might have been helpful for the Jedi to be there to also mention how the Trade Federation tried to kill them.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its bad writing

They state in the movie the Sith have been extinct for a long ass time, meaning none of these Jedi have ever fought one, meaning theyve never had a lightsaber duel before, basically

Thus, a Sith popping up should be the most dangerous thing thats ever happened to anyone in the council ... and they shrug it off. Its just completely laughable from a basic storytelling perspective

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
The most ridiculous thing in AOTC is that instead of that large group of armed people blasting the shit out of an unarmed Maul on sight, they all just go another way and leave the two jedi to deal with him. Like seriously there are so many people here, all armed, and they decide to just go another way. cvbnm
UKibJAy.gif

Because the plot demanded it.

Lmao
Lol never thought of that. Also why couldn't Obi Wan speed like they did at the beginning of the movie to help Qui Gon which would have saved his life