• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Well at least it was creepy if not more of the first. Doom reboot is exceptional gameplay wise but it seems more the spiritual successor of Duke Nukem 3d setting in the Doom universe than a true horror fps. I missed the frightening part of Doom series.

Last edited:

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
While I can't personally agree that Doom 3 was better, I won't fault the OP for saying so.

I was playing the original Doom from January 6, 1994 straight through until...hell, I'm still playing it. It's a masterpiece.

That said, I adore Doom 3 and regularly revisit it as well. Certain set pieces stick with me even today. It's almost like an alternate-reality Doom, the answer to the question of what would have happened if the original idea had been to make a survival horror game.

They're both great games and I'm driven to play each of them at different times and by different moods.

Now, I'll add my agreement to the equally-risque opinion that Doom 2 wasn't so great. Level design wasn't as on-point, textures were mostly too brown and drab, and by the end it felt pretty uninspired (map18 was a favorite, though). Yeah yeah, super shotgun. I'd still rather fire the single-barrel pump-action. Come at me.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Doom 3 is the truth I favour it over the ones before it, the atmosphere and the UAC hold up very nicely for me. Doom 2016 is amazing

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Does the AbsoluteHD mod change the gun sounds? Because I'm re-playing vanilla Doom 3 right now and the gun noises, much like I remember back in 2004, are complete garbage.

The pistol sounds like throwing a wet sock at a wall, the shotgun sounds like dropping a crowbar in a bathtub, and the machine gun has this weird stutter sound pattern that isn't reflected in the bullet animations. What a mess.
The weapon sounds were my biggest issue when I originally played it. They're just shockingly weak. I can at least understand why the pistol would lack punch as the starting weapon (though I don't agree with the reasoning), but how could you make the shotgun and machine gun sound so pathetic? Some of the worst weapon sounds in an FPS.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Doom 3 is basically a "real life" interpretation of Doom 1&2. it was pretty cool but it's sort of like comparing Mario Galaxy to SMB1 or something, it's not a very applicable comparison

Pixels

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doom 3 was amazing when it came out. It's just that Doom 1/2 invented online deathmatch and Doom 3 multiplayer was not well received.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Doom 3 is the only one I haven't played. It sounds like I should give it a shot.

Totally with you on Doom 64, OP.

I'd love to play Quake and Quake 2 again. I wonder what form a Quake reboot would take...Hopefully it'd be a creative idea that combines both the first and second games.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I mean who doesn't love gameplay flow interrupted by waiting for a audio recording to play back so you can enter a 4 digit code to unlock a door. Great gameplay. So much better than shooting demons by the dozens or navigating well designed levels.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
You're A-Okay with me, OP. Doom 3 is not my favorite Doom game, but I absolutely loved it as a horror shooter.

Game scared the shit out of me when it first came out, and while that wasn't what I wanted from a numbered Doom game, I really appreciate it for what it does.

deft

Oct 27, 2017
Well they're apples and oranges.

If you want to compare apples, Doom 3 is better than Bioshock.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Not my favorite DOOM game by a long shot, feels like a separate game in its own right. I see where they were going with it, but the whole thing feels like a technology showcase that covers an average game. Things I disliked:

- Boring atmosphere and a little too repetitive when it comes to samey rooms and corridors. DOOM 2016 fixes this
- Poor enemy AI and boring encounters. I understand original Doom games had brain dead AI, but at least make them move with more aggression and believably. It seems "Charge" or "Sit and wait" is the flavor of the day. I would put RAGE and DOOM 2016 way above in the encounter design
- Guns aren't fun. Enemy feedback is sloppy, the shotgun, chain gun and sub machine gun all sound pithy. A DOOM game without a shotgun that sounds like the world is coming to an end is not worth having. The sub machine gun has a cool reload, but sounds like banging nails on pots and pans.
- Enemy closets
- Boring antagonist, complete chucklefuck. Laughs at everything. The Blizzard Antagonist effect.
- Poor pacing. Seriously needed more things in between to mix it up. A few sections were nice, but too far between
- Enemy design isn't great. I literally only like the Baron of Hell and Pinky Demon. The cacodemon has a terrible design in comparison to DOOM 2016
- The semiotics and symbology all over made me laugh as it was over used. Once you see one pentagram it's all the same, even when you have to stop to be forced to look at it like a scared child. Might as well have a cheap ghost on a stick and say "Boo" because it has the same impact

Now it isn't all DOOM and gloom.
- Some moments are fun, the break ups are ok
- Environments feel lived in and believable
- The interactivity with the monitors is fun and unintrusive
- Scouring for clues and the way forward was sometimes interesting
- Baron of Hell and Pinky Demon are cool
- Lighting as a mechanic is pretty neat
- The main character shuts the fuck up

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
tumblr_inline_p1brmcd9Dk1rr08jv_500.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
Oh no, it's Survival Horror Resident Evil vs. Action Resident Evil all over again.

I'm going to say that I'm pretty hard into the "I want my Doom to be DOOM, dammit" camp, but I still appreciate what they tried to do with 3. The problem, as many have said, is that they're obviously trying to go for some sort of System Shock vibe, but the only thing they could seem to think to do for a majority of the game is monster closets. It quickly became predictable, and lost any sense of fear that they were trying to go for. Having a wall open up from behind when you are in a corner or a tight corridor so a guy gets some free shots on you is not scary, it's frustrating. Sure, the Dooms beforehand had monster closets too, but they weren't trying to scare you. It was a surprise encounter to drain you a bit, usually after you found a really good item. There was pretty much always room to maneuver and avoid damage.

I've certainly got no problem with them, or any game company, trying to do something different, but they have to convince us that it's worth it. A prettier, but not quite as good, version of System Shock 2 just ain't going to cut it.

Noogy

Soloist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
Doom and Doom 2 are among my favorite games, the former being a truly groundbreaking game. That said, I really loved Doom 3. I was in that weird camp that almost preferred the experience of Doom 3 over Half-Life 2, at the time anyway.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
My least fav but they're all wonderful games so, it's ok to have a favorite!
You still kick demon asses regardless. c:

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018

Ye, Doom 3 took the modern FPS tropes in such a naive way.
I would argue that some of mutant parts of Far Cry, Ravenholm or certain levels of Paikiller represented a more interesting and accomplished vision of what DOOM with a heavy horror shift should be in 2004. Let alone F.E.A.R., the year after.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Doom 1 is a surpisingly systemic game. It has a very specific rule set and a super tight design. All the weapons are useful throughout the entire game, depending on the situation.

I like Doom 3, but it lacks that systemic feel of 1/2 and 2016.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Well, you did say 'I like...' and not 'is better...' so nothing wrong with that!

I get what they were going for with Doom 3 but it never worked for me and I bought it on launch day and have tried getting into it over and over.

My favorites are PSX Doom and Doom 64.

Blairbat

Oct 29, 2017
Sacramento, California
Heck yeah! Doom 3 is awesome! Love the designs of the demons and plus all the blood and gore...it is all just lovely. Doom 1 is pretty boring imo. Of course, Doom 3 really appeals to me do to the horror aspect and stuff. It's just so much fun blasting demons away with the shotgun or mowing them all down with the chaingun. Guess you can obviously do that in the other Doom games but I find it most enjoyable in Doom 3. Plus!...plusssss you gotta admit the Doom 3 soundtrack is pretty kickin! Well, if you like that type of music anyways.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I liked it better than HL2 and you saw how that went lmao all are good games though, but I can't say I liked it better than Doom 1/2

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I think that the old school Doom games have aged like shit

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Doom 3 is so different that I really don't think they're comparable.

They're basically in different genres.

Although I do think the entire franchise is fantastic.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, the endless closet monsters jumping at your back get tiring and the game isn't scary at all.

The guns sound weaker than Doom 1 through pc speaker.

TonyB

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
The level where you first enter Delta Labs is one of my most memorable moments in gaming.

(I'll add that the Perfected Doom 3 mod is also pretty great, and people should try that out)