• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's not a huge deal for me nowadays. Back then when i had more free time i'd prioritize. This is how i factor in game platform nowadays:

-Multiplatform and mutliplayer: PS4
-Multiplatform but single player or friends on PS4 not interested in playing: Xbox or Steam
-Exclusive indie or a favorite title i'd love to play portably: Switch

While I don't prioritize achievements, more so than performance/experience, but achievements are a nice bonus and i work for if i get an opportunity.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unless you seriously care about portability, I don't understand why anyone would ever buy or play mutiplatform games on a Switch.

(Assuming you have other platforms to play games on)
Going by switch software sales, people have no problem not having superficial things like achievements to drive them to play a game at all on the device

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
The only reason why I'm buying Crash/Spyro/other multiplats on PS4 instead of Switch is trophies.
Nintendo is losing few but still significant sales imo

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
I used to think the same way. However, I came to a point where I thought to myself 'Yea portability is more important than trophies."
And here I am having a great time with my Switch wherever I want whenever I want :)

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
They will have to release one if they want to embrace all kinds of gamers.

Personally I think they will make a system that is more like street pass where your achievements are used in a mini game somehow.

I think achievements are cool and all but I don't really care if a game doesn't have it either. I enjoy whatever I am playing and move on.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Gaming is indeed highly addictive, but achievements make it even more addictive. Nintendo has always tried to mitigate the addictive nature of games (sometimes hilariously with their "take a break" messages). Even if it's just a "small percentage," Nintendo would rather not allow for that negativity to be possible on their platform. Frankly, I'm extremely grateful for that.

Regardless though, I suspect that the percentage of people who have a not-quite-as-severe problem is larger than you might think. Just look at some of the sad posts on the achievement hunting forums, or even in this very thread. Clearly there are a large number of people who just can't help themselves. Nintendo wants to help those people get better, not contribute towards their stress.
People are mad when is frustating to get something in games. Read online about the jumping rope moon in Mario Odyssey.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason why I'm buying Crash/Spyro/other multiplats on PS4 instead of Switch is trophies.
Nintendo is losing few but still significant sales imo
Not sure if the numbers reflect that. Switch software sales are frankly insane.

If anything, Switch is proving that most people are happy just to play games. The achievement addicts are the minority.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
Portability completely outways the need for useless little popups
Well, the Vita is portable and has trophies.

I agree OP. I wish Nintendo implement a system wide achievement system and no not because we need to be rewarded for every little thing. I love being able to go back on my Xbox or PS and see which games I had completed and what not.

I also enjoy looking at other peoples achievements to see what gamss they have played and how far they got. Seeing the rarity % for each one is fun too.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Portability completely outways the need for useless little popups
Why not both? Love getting trophies on PS3/PS4 and Vita.
Because some people (like myself) struggle with being able to ignore them. Their mere existence causes stress in the back of my mind and I have less fun playing. With Switch games, it's such a freeing feeling to know that I can just play however I want without "missing" anything. I'm so much happier playing games on this platform.

I played more games on my Switch this year precisely because there aren't any achievements. And my experience there helped me be more able to ignore them on PS4 and Xbox when I would play other games.

Switch not having achievements is wonderful.
Like, you can just completely turn off trophy notifications and you wouldn't even know they're there lol.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Because some people (like myself) struggle with being able to ignore them. Their mere existence causes stress in the back of my mind and I have less fun playing. With Switch games, it's such a freeing feeling to know that I can just play however I want without "missing" anything. I'm so much happier playing games on this platform.

I played more games on my Switch this year precisely because there aren't any achievements. And my experience there helped me be more able to ignore them on PS4 and Xbox when I would play other games.

Switch not having achievements is wonderful.

I totally understand you. I don't go for 100% but I hate to use guides to get missables.

I have a problem with organization, not only with games but I also organize all my watched movies/shows and readed books and comics. Weird as f

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I agree OP, even though most here don't and/or trash achievements/trophies. For me they add to the game and I love doing the achievement comparison with friends and the stats pages on my Xbox One games. I just got a Switch for Xmas from my wife and am really enjoying it, but so far the ONLY multiplatform game that I bought for it has been the new Monster Boy game. I plan to only get exclusives or games that have a good Nintendo spin like Starlink (which I have not bought yet) with the Fox and Airwing in it. It is a huge miss imho on the Switch.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Now, I'm a trophy loving idiot, but this right here is a good point.

Vesperia achievements are perhaps the second worst set of achievements in a game ever.
I mean, I used to bitch about trophies/achievements and to some extent I still think in some cases they are stupid. On the other hand, I platinumed Spider-Man two weeks ago as the trophies kind of encouraged me to really discover Manhattan. I love funny trophies like the one in Batman Arkham Asylum where you punch the celebrating thugs and you receive the party pooper trophy.

But the Tales games I've played (have yet to play Berseria though) which include Xillia, Xillia 2, Symphonia, Dawn of the New World and Zesteria (pfff) had some of the worst grindy things I've seen. During my playthrough it dawned on me that I didn't unlock many trophies so I took a look at the list and its such nonsense. "Perform this particular move in combat 2000 times with Jude". Uh, no? But there are more games out there with bad trophies. The ones that have good ones always get a giggle from me. Currently I'm playing Yakuza Kiwami and it has funny trophies like the Majima Anywhere related trophies.

For RPG's though, I'll go with the Switch version. And other third party titles that interest me on the system.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
This is a reason I'm not buying so many switch games, it's not like trophies are an essential part of my gaming experience, but it improves it.

I like the satisfaction to prove I've done something. I like watching my old trophies reminiscing about the time I got a certain trophy or platinum.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
This is a reason I'm not buying so many switch games, it's not like trophies are an essential part of my gaming experience, but it improves it.

I like the satisfaction to prove I've done something. I like watching my old trophies reminiscing about the time I got a certain trophy or platinum.

This right here. Trophies are more than just "bragging rights" they're are record of what you did, when you did and even a photo. I like knowing if I finished a game without have to load it up.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I love achievements. I dont seek platinum in every game but if its a game i am loving to play, trophies add something to the game. Having said that, trophies are definitely not a defining factor for me purchase wise. I am buying all my multiplats on switch because I absolutely love the form factor. Being able to play at work on my break then at home with my family is the best thing in gaming ever for me.

I wish Switch had trophies but its not a defining factor for my purchases

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I'm kind of similar. For one I don't really love the hand held aspect of the switch. I'm almost always buying anything multiplat on my PS4 anyways. Having a trophy system just seals the deal.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure if the numbers reflect that. Switch software sales are frankly insane.

If anything, Switch is proving that most people are happy just to play games. The achievement addicts are the minority.

You keep talking about how everyone that likes achievements are addicts and can't control themselves. Sure there are some, and probably more that don't realize it, but painting everyone that likes them with the same brush insinuating that they have a mental health condition is just being an ass(which you've done in multiple posts).

I personally love achievements, I go out of my way to avoid missable ones and I'll try to 100%/platinum games I really enjoy. I also have enough self control to not have to fully unlock a game that I dislike or has ridiculous achievements(which I would bet is the large majority of people, you can enjoy something without having mental issues surrounding it). I have 175 hours in XC2/Torna, 55 in BotW, 50 in SMO, 55 in Pokémon LGP, 35 in Hollow Knight(on Switch no less!), 15 in Dead Cells(also Switch!) and hours in a dozen other games, yet I still enjoy trophies and sometimes hunt for them. Is it really that hard to understand that some people get actual enjoyment out of them and do play games for actual enjoyment vice some bullshit dopamine reason?

Edit: I have also bought games on non-Nintendo platforms simply because of achievements. It's also why I tried Eternal Sonata on 360 vice PS3, yet I have bought some multiplats on the Switch and Wii U. Figure that one out. (Hint: we're all different and I'm a fucking adult in control of my own life). Sorry if I come off hostile but it's bullshit projection.

Aisutron

Nov 1, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
I decided to let go of achievements for semi portability, I always get stressed by achievements but if there are none I can enjoy the game more. I cared a little when they had trophies for PS3 but I barely game as it is now so I'm fine to skip some trophies if the game is cheaper or portable.

I'm considering getting Vesperia and FFXII down the road for easier playing since I can do portable.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You keep talking about how everyone that likes achievements are addicts and can't control themselves. Sure there are some, and probably more that don't realize it, but painting everyone that likes them with the same brush insinuating that they have a mental health condition is just being an ass(which you've done in multiple posts).

I personally love achievements, I go out of my way to avoid missable ones and I'll try to 100%/platinum games I really enjoy. I also have enough self control to not have to fully unlock a game that I dislike or has ridiculous achievements(which I would bet is the large majority of people, you can enjoy something without having mental issues surrounding it). I have 175 hours in XC2/Torna, 55 in BotW, 50 in SMO, 55 in Pokémon LGP, 35 in Hollow Knight(on Switch no less!), 15 in Dead Cells(also Switch!) and hours in a dozen other games, yet I still enjoy trophies and sometimes hunt for them. Is it really that hard to understand that some people get actual enjoyment out of them and do play games for actual enjoyment vice some bullshit dopamine reason?

Edit: I have also bought games on non-Nintendo platforms simply because of achievements. It's also why I tried Eternal Sonata on 360 vice PS3, yet I have bought some multiplats on the Switch and Wii U. Figure that one out. (Hint: we're all different and I'm a fucking adult in control of my own life). Sorry if I come off hostile but it's bullshit projection.
Judging from this post, I think you might be one of the "more who don't realize it."

There's no "actual enjoyment" to be had with an achievement. The dopamine response is literally all there is to it. Even if it's just "a goal to get more enjoyment out of a game" or something. You could put those goals on yourself, right? But, you'd say, that's not the same as native integration. Why exactly is that? Hint: it's the dopamine response. It's the official integration that makes you feel like you're getting a reward for accomplishing those goals. If it was just the goals that people liked, they could seek them out on Switch as well. But "it's not the same" because they don't get the little brain response.

I don't think people who like achievements have a mental condition. I think they have perfectly normal, healthy brains. That's why the achievements are so effective.

Deleted member 30569

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Went extinct the second people started caring about how they're doing compared to others... so probably around the stone age.

That's a peculiar selective empathy, understanding people who want achievements, but not people who dislike them and feel stressed by them. :D

(I'm not speaking for myself here, I frankly pretty much never bother even checking achievement lists, let alone actually getting them. But I can understand people who dislike having incomplete achievement lists).

Oh, awesome, I got the attention of the mighty Weltall Zero. I'm going to dinner now, but will certainly reply later. And not only because I disagree with pretty much everything you said :-)

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, you can just completely turn off trophy notifications and you wouldn't even know they're there lol.
Sure I would. I'd still have a trophy level by my name at the top of the home screen. I'd see the same trophy level from all my friends when I send an invite or join their game. I'd still see the trophy-related content on a game's splash page before I start it. I'd still see "so-and-so earned a trophy" in the newsfeed. Disabling the notifications doesn't change the fact that the trophies are there. I know they're there, everyone knows they're there.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not much of an achievement chaser, I usually find the push for platinuming a game an unfun waste of my time so I don't have many 100 percents. That said I do like the bookkeeping aspect of them as a record of what I played and did. I use exophase to track a lot of what I've played on multiple platforms and it does bother me a little that Nintendo lack anything that is open to be used by such a service.

Now I'm worse when it comes to music, I've been recording my music listening to Last.fm for over a decade and if a music service has no way of interacting with that then I tend not to use it. I'm not that extreme with games..

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I cared more on the 360. I have to be honest, I don't even pay attention these days on my PS4. They pop up here and there but I don't make an effort to get them or anything.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
If all things between the platforms were equal then yeah I guess I would buy games on the platform that has achievements because why not? I don't really care about achievements, but I mean it's one little extra perk even if it's insignificant.

That being said things aren't equal. I buy multiplats where they look and perform the best, and the Switch is at the bottom of that totem pole.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
I actually enjoy that there isn't some form of "checklist" popping up while I'm playing. it gives me peace of mind to just enjoy the game however I like.

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
Trophies are always in the back of my mind when playing 3rd party switch games, but it's kind of refreshing to not worry about them. Just playing the game should be enough. I used to love trophy collecting but not so much anymore, I don't have time.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Judging from this post, I think you might be one of the "more who don't realize it."

There's no "actual enjoyment" to be had with an achievement. The dopamine response is literally all there is to it. Even if it's just "a goal to get more enjoyment out of a game" or something. You could put those goals on yourself, right? But, you'd say, that's not the same as native integration. Why exactly is that? Hint: it's the dopamine response. It's the official integration that makes you feel like you're getting a reward for accomplishing those goals. If it was just the goals that people liked, they could seek them out on Switch as well. But "it's not the same" because they don't get the little brain response.

I don't think people who like achievements have a mental condition. I think they have perfectly normal, healthy brains. That's why the achievements are so effective.
This is actually a great response. Having problem deciding if you should choose a love fore portability over love for achievements? Just go on internet for a multiplayform game them print out the achievements, then try to reach those exact things on the switch. There, you should be covered. This whole, I need to be rewarded for everything is so 'Millenial'...

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
Not I. I find it freeing, actually. Just being able to pick up a game without a check list, or a check list turned off nagging at me in the back of my mind, I find to most relaxing while playing. The crappy thing is, often when I do forget the damned things exists, I have a friend constantly reminding me if I have gotten X trophy, or if I will help them boost and help with Y trophy. Simply cannot escape them, even with notifications turned off. So playing on a Nintendo console is my only getaway. I mean, they'll probably hit Nintendo's platform in some capacity, eventually . In the mean time, the lack of trophies are never a deal breaker for me, but rather a boon.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of "dealing" do you have to do with trophies and achievements that's putting you out?

lol just getting annoyed little if I finish a game and then seeing some arbitrary percentage that makes it seem like I didn't do jack shit in the game, i.e. having literally only 1% Trophy completion after finishing The Last of Us.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Not I. I find it freeing, actually. Just being able to pick up a game without a check list, or a check list turned off nagging at me in the back of my mind, I find to most relaxing while playing.
Yep. In a non-Nintendo example, I bought the Season 6 Battle Pass for Fortnite, and regretted it within a week -- having all those extra challenges staring me in the face made the game unfun for me, as I had to either force myself to complete them or get annoyed that they weren't getting done. I knew the game was making me do stunts like a damned trained seal and I resented it for that. Now I'm deliberately avoiding the Pass for Season 7 and enjoy it a lot more; there are only three challenges a week, and even if I feel compelled to do them it only takes an hour or so at best. The rest of the week is for me to play however I want, which is much more liberating.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Not I. I find it freeing, actually. Just being able to pick up a game without a check list, or a check list turned off nagging at me in the back of my mind, I find to most relaxing while playing. The crappy thing is, often when I do forget the damned things exists, I have a friend constantly reminding me if I have gotten X trophy, or if I will help them boost and help with Y trophy. Simply cannot escape them, even with notifications turned off. So playing on a Nintendo console is my only getaway. I mean, they'll probably hit Nintendo's platform in some capacity, eventually . In the mean time, the lack of trophies are never a deal breaker for me, but rather a boon.
I can't believe people still wanna boost for trophies and cheevos. You'd think the absolute only purpose they have is getting them legit, instead of artificially unlocking them with help.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Coming in to reiterate my continual advocation of having these kinds of things, but also providing the option to COMPLETELY disable them on the platform, not merely turning off notifications. It boggles my mind that it appears to be an all or nothing proposition for the majority of people.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I get you OP, and have heard others express similar issues when choosing which system to play a game on. I do quite like achievements and trophies, though i'ts pretty rare i'll attempt to get all of them in a game. I think I have less than 10 platinum trophies in total. I do kind of find it refreshing to play on a Nintendo console and not have to worry about them, or have them pop up and sometimes take me out of the experience a little.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised by how much people here love achievements. It's literally impossible for me to care less about trophies/achievements.

While I do have times where I would pick ps4 over switch, achievements aren't considered.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe people still wanna boost for trophies and cheevos. You'd think the absolute only purpose they have is getting them legit, instead of artificially unlocking them with help.
It's still a thing unfortunately.

As well as stacking multiple versions or regions. The save sharing community is somewhat alive again thanks to Save Wizard, but nowhere near the level of output that was going on in the PS3 days. It's mostly EU users for some reason lol

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Reading people's comments, and not just in this thread but also similar threads all over the net, it seems a lot of people (including myself) seem to feel like sometimes having trophies and achievements in games are like losing freedom in games, even though they're optional. By that I mean they strongly suggest completing a game they way the developers want you to play, and when you don't follow their guideline they show you your low percentage rate, like The Last of Us for instance. I beat that game with like two or three trophies unlocked, and like another poster recently stated, you feel like you played the game wrong or something.

In another scenario, some of the trophies in older Assassin's Creed games are very hard to unlock if you don't follow a scripted set of events down a linear path in a certain order of progression, you don't get a gold rating which has an effect on a gold trophy later on, much like what Rockstar did with RDR 2.

In these cases and many more, through trophies and achievements these developers are subconsciously dictating to some, exactly how to play the game. The player has to cooperate here, but the system to be a slave is still firmly in place with these things.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can't play Nintendo games because they lack the serotonin I get from games with a "badge of honor" system. If Nintendo games had something similar to that I would consider playing them. PlayStation and Xbox having a universal system in place is certainly helpful for getting a regular dose of this per game. Nintendo could implement something like this for my player type, but I understand that if they don't want that kind of audience on their system.

Edit: Clarified I meant serotonin and revised my statement.

Last edited:

Deleted member 20941

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If most trophies/gamerscore actually represented something more than "you completed chapter 3" or "you killed an enemy with a grenade" I would get it. But in the state that it is now it just feels like it's tuning in to my, and other people's OCD.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't play Nintendo games because I like the dopamine I get from unlocking Trophies and Achievements. If Nintendo comes with their own version, call it Challenges, then I'll be willing to hop on the Nintendo train as well. I just love getting my dopamine that way, and I get that people don't get their dopamine fix that way and get it from somewhere else, but there is a good chunk of people that get our dopamine this way and it would be nice to be tailored to as well.

Sincerely hope this is a joke