• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
This will be the last thread I make here since I requested a permaban earlier because being on message boards is making me miserable but I'll continue to post replies as long as I can or until my flight leaves or whatever.

I split up with my husband recently, we had been together for eight years and married for three. While our togetherness was good, we were essentially roommates and did not have a physical relationship at all. He was unhappy with it, I was unhappy with it, but we simply weren't attracted to each other very much these days. I am a very emotionally responsive person and have some attachment issues along with a history of depression, anxiety, and self-destructive behaviors.

The years before my husband I was very lonely and I was lonely again for at least the past year or two. I needed someone to need me, to rely on me, to want me. So when this guy on Instagram contacted me about a month ago, we quickly began to talk everyday. I felt sick even doing this, but couldn't stop myself from continuing. After a couple weeks I confessed to my husband that I was getting emotionally attached to this person, and he told me that if it had been a simple instance of cheating then he could've gotten past it, but having such strong emotion already was an obvious indicator that I wanted to be with this person — and i did. We went for days without speaking to each other, and living in the apartment like this was awkward. Later we'd have additional conversations, tearful ones, about where do we go from here. This isn't a bitter split, there's no real anger involved, just sadness and disappointment.

I would then decide to take a trip to NYC to see my friend? Hook-up? Crush? Who knows. I didn't care that we're in a pandemic, I wanted to feel loved. I got a covid test the day before leaving (negative) just to be vaguely cautious. We met up the first afternoon and I bought him some expensive things at a vintage store. He was elated and so sweet. We had lunch, we would uber around the city sightseeing and shopping. I always paid. Why? It felt good to make him happy. At the end of the day, he fell asleep immediately after falling onto the bed at my hotel.We'd had a very busy day and I totally understood it... I was immensely content just being there with him quietly resting next to me. His phone began to ring over and over: his female roommate was having some crisis, he had to go. I paid for an enormous uber bill to get him there. He texted me later to say that he was upset I hadn't been more supportive about helping her, and that maybe I didn't really want to be with him after all. I would apologize profusely and try to fix the dumb mess I inadvertently made. He was fine the next morning and we went out shopping again; it would take a bigger effort to keep him happy after our little tiff. I spent a lot of money on that second day.

On the third day, I spent more. I couldn't say no to anything he asked for, I wasn't capable and he wasn't about to accept that answer regardless. He would have salesclerks ring up things without telling me, and to avoid an embarrassing scene or argument, I would sigh and pull out my credit card. I kissed him only twice after we had dinner and drinks at Rockefeller Center. I was beaming... if i could ignore all the spending that was eating away at me. He had to go to his sister's birthday so we couldn't stay together once again. I was pretty sad about it, but there was one more night and we both promised it would happen this time.

Day four, more gifts. Why was i being so foolish? I knew it was a scam, that I was being used, and yet I couldn't help myself. It still felt good seeing him light up and hug me after every purchase. "Thank you sooo much, Dad." He knew I didn't like being called that, but it still struck me as kind of cute. I played along. We went for drinks again, and the waiter was flirting with him. He joked about giving the waiter his Snapchat, and I made some silly comment about kicking his ass of he did. We laughed, but as we got up to leave, he changed into someone else. I apparently had said something similar to what an abusive ex used to say to him, and he was now convinced I was a violent person. He didn't want to see me again, he's sobbing, I had betrayed his trust. I went home to the hotel alone and hated myself. Hated that i was allowing someone to use me, take advantage of my good nature, and hating that I still wanted to be with him so badly.

Today, the last day I would be in NY, we made up over breakfast (guess who paid?) and he insisted that we shop again to make up for the "damage" i had done. I just quietly walked with him from store to store, furious with myself and loving the attention he gave me as the bags piled up. There was a street photographer who wanted to take our picture. My toxic friend looks like a young French actor in the Polaroid. He's stunning. I was to pay the man $20 for the photo, but I didn't have cash. Daaad, go to the atm! I ask why he can't pay just this once. We argue, I storm away to get cash. Upon returning, my friend is gone. The photographer tells me he had gotten scared of my "temper" and left. Frantically calling and texting, he finally responds: "Come to [store name] and I'll forgive you for embarrassing me like that." I have to leave for the airport soon, but I go anyway because I'm shattered at the idea of losing him once and for all. We meet up finally and he makes me spend over $1,000 on vintage clothes before silently walking away with his prizes. I remind myself that I'm now financially ruined after nearly an entire week of indulgence on someone that despises me. I think about walking in front of a city bus but the traffic is bad enough that nothing is moving fast enough to even injure me. I run to catch up with him, we barely speak, he demands I get an Uber to take him home. When it arrives, he gets in and leaves me standing there (now late for the airport). Some time later, my only ridiculous instinct is to text him that it was heartbreaking not being able to say goodbye. What is wrong with me?! He only replies that the damage is done.

I'm on a plane back to LA now, wondering how I ever arrived in this situation. It's ludicrous. I've mocked others dense enough to fall for similar traps, that would never be me I told myself. I'm too smart!

All I wanted was to be loved. And if he calls me tomorrow, I'm probably sick enough to apologize again and try to repair "what we had." I only needed him to need me. I'm fucked in the head.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's extremely abusive for such a new hookup. Not sure what you want to hear since you're clearly interested in continuing this disaster of a "relationship". You're clearly in a terrible mental place. You need someone to keep you away from this dude it could go so much worse than it already has.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
You sound like you really, really need a professional psychotherapist to advise you through a situation like this. Era can't be much help.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks... but i understand. Sometimes you want to feel loved, even if it's fake. But true love is always better, you know ?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He took advantage of your emotional vulnerability and used it to con you into buying him shit. Im sorry, OP

OP
OP
Cosmic Bus

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Not really looking for advice, just had to get this all off my chest. It's the only therapy I can afford now, hah.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
At some point, this asshole must've figured out how desperate you were and found the perfect way to ensure you'd blow as much cash as possible on him just to try and keep him around. Textbook emotional con job.

I hope you're able to find some sunshine soon.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I know this doesn't mean anything on the internet but

*hugs*

Everybody wants to feel loved, we crave that and that guy just seems to love your wallet. I'm sorry he took advantage of you like that, broken relationships like the one you just left can sometimes leave people in a weird place emotionally, its when you need a proper support system of friends or family to help pick you back up.

Guys like that are bad news, Cosmo. Don't let them drag you deeper into this hole.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
Con artists out there love to prey on those who are in a negative headspace. Don't communicate with that guy anymore.
Are there any friends you could go be with for awhile? Take some time for yourself, maybe try to reconnect. Definitely talk to a therapist if you can.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
OP it could be worse! Sure you spent a lot of money and you feel silly, but so what? Its just money. You will get over it.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
I know you said you weren't looking for advice, but maybe you should look into giving someone control over your finances for a bit.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Take a step back, recognize the mistakes that were made, and find a close friend back home to confide this in.

Have them change your Insta password so that only they know it until you're ready to have it back, have them help you detox from reaching out to the NYC guy.

There is something to be said about feeling needed and/or wanted, but in the end it can blind you - as you so found out. This is a learning experience, there is always another day, there is always another source of (true) happiness on the horizon, just stop trying to make the world spin faster to get to it.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like you, I would do and pay anything for love. Not all of us are lucky enough to find it. As a divorcee, I feel your pain.

Someone took advantage of you and your emotional state, that's all there is to it. You are not a bad person, good people can make mistakes. Please seek divorce and counseling. Work on yourself and look back on this time of your life with your face in your hands and a giggle of embarrassment.

You can be happy and you deserve to be happy. Please look after yourself as best you can, Cosmic.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry you went through this. I am in no position to comment on how you got there as I have been far from a saint myself, but that desire to be wanted and getting roped into bullshit just to have that connection resonates with me.

Era is not the place to look for advice, but I do see the value in venting here. Now that you have, I would genuinely seek to speak with someone professionally.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to hear about you and your husband.

But the dude who you went to see in NYC sounds like a narcissist. Did he open up to you really quickly and treat you like a soul mate in the beginning?

If it's too good to be true it usually is.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I don't know how someone can live with themselves after taking advantage of emotionally vulnerable people like that.
I'm so sorry you went through that. Please don't ever contact him again. I hope you learn and grow from this experience.

Oct 25, 2017
That's so awful, I'm sorry it happened. But I'm glad you didn't step out into traffic, and that you're still here. I'm going through a bad divorce myself and I'm close to your age, so I know a lot about heartbreak. Things can get so deeply bleak. But it can get better. Just take time to reflect, honestly but without judgment, and then strive to make each morning just a little bit better than the day before. Bit by bit things can improve.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure you're not the first person this guy has done this to. At the very least, you might be able to spare someone else the pain and expose this guy on Instagram and elsewhere.

VB32

Oct 27, 2017
Its good you are aware exactly whats happening here , what others said before me, definitely look into going to therapy. You call local hospitals they usually will give a list of free metal heath services I know that's how it is in the GTA (canadain here)

We live in the present not the past, we can always make the right choices now.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
So to sum it up you left your current partner for some young guy in NYC who turned out to be very abusive from the start. I understand leaving someone you are not in love with anymore. It's an awful situation, but I still can't understand how you were ok with all of the abuse you received in NYC. But then I was never in your situation. I understand that craving someone to love you is fundamental thing to have, but not like this. I am sorry to hear about your experience. I hope you find peace and love outside these forums as well.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
Loneliness brings with it a terrible, terrible pain. I understand the need to be loved, to be needed, to be valued, to feel special and, mostly, to lessen the pain that loneliness brings. I am sorry you're feeling that pain, it can be unbearable and very scary...I'm sorry.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
all I can really say is that I treasured the short time I got to hang out with you in Seattle and I wish nothing but the best for you.

you know how to get in touch if you want to. bless

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
It sounds like the handsome model looking (younger?) guy believed you were his "sugar daddy"? But there was no sugar, he managed to avoid the sugar part. You basically bought him nice clothes in exchange for his time?

Anyway OP this was a crazy story but I think you got out of it pretty much unscathed aside for a few 1000s dollars. Its not huge deal. He could have sold your kidneys or something. If he had asked you for a kidney, gently, you would have probably consented to donate one. or maybe two?

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit that's a fucking story man.

What was the total bill? What a fucking scumbag

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
please see a therapist. Do not suffer alone. You need to see a professional to get through this.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry you're being treated like this. This person is stealing from you and emotionally abusing you and taking advantage. You need to figure out how to cut him out.

PlateOfShrimp

Apr 16, 2020
What a terrible human being. I hope you find someone who will make you feel good and is also a good person. I wish you the best of luck.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
we are here for you if you decide to stay. just know it wasn't your fault what happened.. people can be cruel.

MisterNugNug

Oct 27, 2017
Cosmic, I think we've met once before at a Neogaf meetup I think in Seattle. I also remember you being in the food industry like me (BoH). Self destructive behaviors are the norm for people like us in the industry (generally). I'm sorry you're going through this. I would say you're not alone, but you're telling yourself about the split with your husband in your head. Don't hate yourself. Not like this.

I used to have a relationship (finger quotes) that meant a lot to me then. She knew how to talk to me. She knew what to say. Exactly what I needed to hear. I fell for that fucking hard. Looking back, I made a mistake. I was alone and lonely. That shit is poisonous. And she was the cure. I'm sorry for the pain and anguish you're feeling. Do you have a support group where you are? Resetera counts too.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
As others have said please go speak to someone professional that's wholly apart from all of this. Take care of yourself.